Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Tetonkatest

Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by Tetonkatest » December 17th, 2020, 5:23 pm

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/12/ ... estigation

Quotes some player sources about what supposedly went down during the call

GA_Aggie

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by GA_Aggie » December 17th, 2020, 5:38 pm

Surprise, surprise, Mr Robinson shows up when there’s an opportunity to beat us up...
These users thanked the author GA_Aggie for the post (total 3):
ViAggieEl SapoAggiesForever

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 17th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Would expect nothing less from Doug. He's so full of crap when he says NDA's aren't commonly used.

With that said. I hope the independent investigation is able to accurately capture what went on and changes are made as necessary.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post (total 2):
GA_AggieEl Sapo

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 17th, 2020, 5:55 pm

GA_Aggie wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 5:38 pm
Surprise, surprise, Mr Robinson shows up when there’s an opportunity to beat us up...
This beat up seems to be self inflicted.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
GA_AggieUSU78

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 17th, 2020, 7:03 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 5:55 pm
GA_Aggie wrote:
I have no idea what to make of this incident and article but here are the biggest things that stand out:

1. I still don't get the nexus for cancelling the game. If you are a real football player who loves the game that would never, ever, in a 1000 years even cross your mind as a remedy. I guess the point is I have a complete disconnect with how this generation of kids thinks and functions.

2. The University settled TWO other cases in TWO years with payouts and NDAS! Something stinks in Logan.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 17th, 2020, 7:04 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:03 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
GA_Aggie wrote:
I have no idea what to make of this incident and article but here are the biggest things that stand out:

1. I still don't get the nexus for cancelling the game. If you are a real football player who loves the game that would never, ever, in a 1000 years even cross your mind as a remedy. I guess the point is I have a complete disconnect with how this generation of kids thinks and functions.

2. The University settled TWO other cases involving the dismissal of successful head coaches in TWO years with payouts and NDAS! Something stinks in Logan.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm

What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 17th, 2020, 7:07 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NikeRunner

Post by NikeRunner » December 17th, 2020, 7:14 pm

hickaggie wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
GA_Aggie wrote:

2. The University settled TWO other cases in TWO years with payouts and NDAS! Something stinks in Logan.
Are you sure Gensel got a payout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » December 17th, 2020, 7:24 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:07 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.
Pretty much.
Regardless of friendship with players involved.

Where only sage brush grows

GUS

Post by GUS » December 17th, 2020, 7:33 pm

Mike Bair was let go in early summer. Not sure of the details, but from what I heard, it was pretty harsh to let someone like go for what I understand happened. Mike had done a lot for the athletic dept. Much of which was on his own time. If you ever had a tour through the equipment room, in the past, you could see his dedication to the university in his work.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
MrBiggle

GUS

Post by GUS » December 17th, 2020, 7:39 pm

GUS wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:33 pm
Mike Bair was let go in early summer. Not sure of the details, but from what I heard, it was pretty harsh to let someone like go for what I understand happened. Mike had done a lot for the athletic dept. Much of which was on his own time. If you ever had a tour through the equipment room, in the past, you could see his dedication to the university in his work.
As far as Robinson's article goes it's like comparing apples to oranges when he mentions the coaches at byu, Utah or Navy. None of those schools have the same kind of athletic issues that USU has. USU has it's own unique issues that coaches have to deal with. They are third in the pecking order in Utah and are located in a small town. It takes a unique coach to find success here.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 17th, 2020, 7:57 pm

GUS wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:39 pm
GUS wrote:
As far as Robinson's article goes it's like comparing apples to oranges when he mentions the coaches at byu, Utah or Navy. None of those schools have the same kind of athletic issues that USU has. USU has it's own unique issues that coaches have to deal with. They are third in the pecking order in Utah and are located in a small town. It takes a unique coach to find success here.
The only reason he added those comparisons is to show yet again how inferior of a school USU is to his almighty schools south of us. He’s a tool.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post (total 2):
GA_AggieEl Sapo

stang

Post by stang » December 17th, 2020, 8:03 pm

GUS wrote:
To clarify, Mike was let go from his position, but is still working for the USU athletics department. He no longer works directly with the football team, and instead has a role with event operations.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » December 17th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Sounds like Doug still is bitter that he never was able to become a True Aggie.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
GA_Aggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 17th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 5:23 pm
https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/12/ ... estigation

Quotes some player sources about what supposedly went down during the call
It doesn’t quote players it has a single player on deep background. It then refers to a bunch of former coaches and a random professor.

I feel really guilty about how I treated Rhett when he was writing inflammatory articles, but this guy drives me up a wall with his conjecture and hit pieces.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
GA_AggieEl Sapo

stang

Post by stang » December 17th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Doug Robinson has a close personal connection with Greg Gensell, and he was very unhappy at how that situation was handled (and I can't say I blame him for that). He clearly has it out for John Hartwell, and his own personal vendetta has clouded his journalistic integrity.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
GA_Aggie

stang

Post by stang » December 17th, 2020, 8:56 pm

I will also note, I don't know what the purpose of bringing up James Wilson in this article is other than to try and stir things up. James did leave and the university kept it quiet, but it wasn't because of any wrongdoing by the athletics department.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 17th, 2020, 9:01 pm

If USU is too Mormon in its recruiting, hiring, and culture, opponents (including the regents and state legislature) use it to demean and besmirch and starve us.

If USU is not Mormon enough we get sued.

Is it not enough that they're tripping dwarfs here?
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
El Sapo

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 17th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Honestly, this is getting desperate. Until someone who was in the meeting goes on record or the investigation is finalized I think I'm over it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Empire of Dirt for the post (total 2):
GA_AggieAggieArmy

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » December 17th, 2020, 9:21 pm

I think Noelle Cockett is a fine person, but I do not think she has much knowledge on university sports. That's not necessarily a bad thing, she just has to find good people to trust with that area.

4 or so years ago at the Arizona bowl the Aggies lost to the other Aggies, there was a little pep rally a few days before the game. University and bowl officials were taking turns saying peppy things on stage between the school bands playing. When Noelle's turn came up, she excitedly said she wanted to make the Arizona bowl an annual event for USU.

Not a terrible statement, but it just shows a bit of disconnect on how things work in D1 football.

Not sent from Tapatalk

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 17th, 2020, 9:44 pm

trevordude wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 9:21 pm
I think Noelle Cockett is a fine person, but I do not think she has much knowledge on university sports. That's not necessarily a bad thing, she just has to find good people to trust with that area.

4 or so years ago at the Arizona bowl the Aggies lost to the other Aggies, there was a little pep rally a few days before the game. University and bowl officials were taking turns saying peppy things on stage between the school bands playing. When Noelle's turn came up, she excitedly said she wanted to make the Arizona bowl an annual event for USU.

Not a terrible statement, but it just shows a bit of disconnect on how things work in D1 football.
Yeah. Maybe so.
I met her at the Frisco bowl pre party and she was delightful. My 10 year couldn’t believe he got to talk to the President of USU.
She was a lovely person.

Agsman

Post by Agsman » December 17th, 2020, 10:04 pm

stang wrote:
GUS wrote:
To clarify, Mike was let go from his position, but is still working for the USU athletics department. He no longer works directly with the football team, and instead has a role with event operations.
A 3rd party came in and investigated this incident. They determined it was an "un-fireble offense". So he was moved. With this still getting brought up, it would appear moving him was not enough.

Sent from some tractor on some farm...

cbingham

Post by cbingham » December 17th, 2020, 10:07 pm

Feel like people need to take off their blue-colored glasses. The article wasn’t that slanted and reasonable, other than the NDA comment. I’ve read a lot of statements that have been pretty unfair to Frank and the players based on the prevailing information that is coming out. I hope some folks are learning they should be slower to judge and more empathetic. The reaction of many Aggie faithful may be the worst looking part of this whole thing.

Hope things will go as well as possible for President, players, coaches and all involved. Tough lessons are being learned.
These users thanked the author cbingham for the post (total 3):
DkdavisGeoAgoleblu111

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 17th, 2020, 11:00 pm

I found this to be neither an attack piece nor particularly compelling. It presents nothing new regarding the current accusations and seems to have some incorrect or incomplete information.

I'm resigned to the fact that we'll never know exactly what was said nor the context of it, and that, regardless, we'll settle with Frank for a significant amount of money.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 18th, 2020, 12:15 am

The damage is done. We know enough about what was said to know at best Noelle said something she has to know better not to say and at worst, there was a real discriminatory issue. In the end it doesn't matter. Noelle and USU will pay the price either way. I'm glad the players did what they did because there is no place for this in the worst case and Noelle has to do better than the best case here.

It is painful and there is no way around it. There was no conspiracy. Frank is a good man and and a fair coach. He wasn't going to, and shouldn't have been hired anyway based on the other candidates and Noelle and Hartwell blew it.

Bottom line for me is if we have an issue that I am glad is out in the open or we have a president who screwed up so bad she made it look that way. Either way she's probably going to lose her job and the university will pay a bunch of money.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 18th, 2020, 1:21 am

How is it not an attack piece? This is an attack piece specifically directed at Hartwell in this case because he "didn't help Cockett enough". That appears to

The GD story has changed several times. First it was the entire team. Then it was the leadership council and now it's 50 players. We were also told Maile was discriminated because he was Polynesian, and now we are told that it was specifically because he was a Mormon from Utah- but Maile also claims it was because he was Polynesian, which isn't reported- but he doesn't know because he says he wasn't there.

The only thing consistent in the stories is this line:

"There are slightly varying remembrances of the precise quote, but all have the exact same message and Cockett has issued no denials."

Which means even the people that WERE there making claims do not have their story straight. If Cockett issues a denial then Robinson claims that Cockett is calling the team liars before she can hear what they are upset about. In public all we know is that people got pissed off about something she may have said- but without a specific allegation she cannot defend herself.. WTF is she supposed to say? No they aren't upset?

And here is the bigger problem for Robinson- in his own words:

"According to news reports, as well as conversations with former coaches, a player and a USU professor"

How many of the people that Robinson interviewed for this article were actually there? At MOST 1- if not 0... because (player is singular and not every player went to the meeting). But he's basing it off a random professor "close to athletics" and a bunch of coaches that have motive to be bitter.

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » December 18th, 2020, 4:42 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 1:21 am
How is it not an attack piece? This is an attack piece specifically directed at Hartwell in this case because he "didn't help Cockett enough". That appears to

The GD story has changed several times. First it was the entire team. Then it was the leadership council and now it's 50 players. We were also told Maile was discriminated because he was Polynesian, and now we are told that it was specifically because he was a Mormon from Utah- but Maile also claims it was because he was Polynesian, which isn't reported- but he doesn't know because he says he wasn't there.

"There are slightly varying remembrances of the precise quote, but all have the exact same message and Cockett has issued no denials."

Which means even the people that WERE there making claims do not have their story straight. If Cockett issues a denial then Robinson claims that Cockett is calling the team liars before she can hear what they are upset about. In public all we know is that people got pissed off about something she may have said- but without a specific allegation she cannot defend herself.. WTF is she supposed to say? No they aren't upset?

"According to news reports, as well as conversations with former coaches, a player and a USU professor"

How many of the people that Robinson interviewed for this article were actually there? At MOST 1- if not 0... because (player is singular and not every player went to the meeting). But he's basing it off a random professor "close to athletics" and a bunch of coaches that have motive to be bitter.
I'm not sure what Cockett would even be denying.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

stwinward

Post by stwinward » December 18th, 2020, 6:08 am

GeoAg wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 12:15 am
The damage is done. We know enough about what was said to know at best Noelle said something she has to know better not to say and at worst, there was a real discriminatory issue. In the end it doesn't matter. Noelle and USU will pay the price either way. I'm glad the players did what they did because there is no place for this in the worst case and Noelle has to do better than the best case here.

It is painful and there is no way around it. There was no conspiracy. Frank is a good man and and a fair coach. He wasn't going to, and shouldn't have been hired anyway based on the other candidates and Noelle and Hartwell blew it.

Bottom line for me is if we have an issue that I am glad is out in the open or we have a president who screwed up so bad she made it look that way. Either way she's probably going to lose her job and the university will pay a bunch of money.
IF there is cause, and IF she loses her job, and IF there is a faction at the university biased against the predominant religion, wouldn't her firing cause that rift to actually grow bigger vs. fixing the problem?

As part of the allegedly discriminated against group, I'd much rather Cockett keep her job, even IF she dislikes my religion. I think forgiveness and awareness will go much further to fixing the issue than her firing would. I understand there are arguments and valid ones on every side of this issue, but I'm sick of the cancel culture and ruining lives over a bad moment. Her body of work is great. Let's allow her the opportunity to improve in this area, IF she needs to.

We don't know the full story yet, but that's how I see it for now.
These users thanked the author stwinward for the post (total 5):
BrushowlMrBiggleStudyHallPEAggie19bluegrouse

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 18th, 2020, 7:08 am

Now that everybody's nicely lawyered up, nobody's gonna say anything and we'll all be far afield from actual truth.

What an absolute sh!tshow.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
oleblu111

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 18th, 2020, 7:43 am

GeoAg wrote:The damage is done. We know enough about what was said to know at best Noelle said something she has to know better not to say and at worst, there was a real discriminatory issue. In the end it doesn't matter. Noelle and USU will pay the price either way. I'm glad the players did what they did because there is no place for this in the worst case and Noelle has to do better than the best case here.

You’re “glad” this all happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cval

Post by cval » December 18th, 2020, 8:08 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 1:21 am

I have always found “according to news reports” a valid data source... said no one except newspaper columnists.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
bluegrouse

inconspicuous

Post by inconspicuous » December 18th, 2020, 8:32 am

Sl7vk wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 9:44 pm
trevordude wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 9:21 pm

Yeah. Maybe so.
I met her at the Frisco bowl pre party and she was delightful. My 10 year couldn’t believe he got to talk to the President of USU.
She was a lovely person.
And because of that one interaction you have with her all the players on the call must be liars, have an agenda, or must simply not be smart enough to read into the context she was trying to convey.

Got it!
These users thanked the author inconspicuous for the post:
oleblu111

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » December 18th, 2020, 8:34 am

This guy has written hit pieces on USU for decades, don't even give the guy the satisfaction of clicking on the story.

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » December 18th, 2020, 8:37 am

Aggieiester wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 8:34 am
This guy has written hit pieces on USU for decades, don't even give the guy the satisfaction of clicking on the story.
I can't stand Doug Robinson. I love how late he is to the party and can't believe he even references Utah and BYU in this article. Did he reference or compare USU when BYU was having it's own problems earlier in the year? How about when the Cross Country runner was killed at Utah? Why go there? Feels like a gut punch and I will never read his stuff again.

Locked Previous topicNext topic