Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
Empire of Dirt
Posts: 3326
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:57 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 18th, 2020, 8:45 am

If president at the U keeps her job after the Lauren McKlusky (I can't express myself without swearing) show (holy hell did you see the Dateline on that) I can't understand why we would even talk about Dr Cockett listing hers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Empire of Dirt for the post (total 2):
USU78bluegrouse


"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9238
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2395 times
Been thanked: 752 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by USU78 » December 18th, 2020, 9:44 am

Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 8:45 am
If president at the U keeps her job after the Lauren McKlusky (I can't express myself without swearing) show (holy hell did you see the Dateline on that) I can't understand why we would even talk about Dr Cockett listing hers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Do we have enough data points to divine a pattern on UniPrez hires?


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 1237
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 117 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by El Sapo » December 18th, 2020, 10:31 am

Just for kicks. Who would have the better case for discrimination?

Cockette a non LDS person who is fired for discriminatory remarks about an LDS FB coach.

Frank an LDS who claims discrimination in the hiring process against him by the school because he is LDS

There is probably a much better way to state it, but you get my drift. Discrimination against a Mormon in Utah? Or, discrimination against a non-Mormon in Utah?
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
Sl7vk


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 1237
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 117 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by El Sapo » December 18th, 2020, 10:40 am

USU78 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 9:01 pm
If USU is too Mormon in its recruiting, hiring, and culture, opponents (including the regents and state legislature) use it to demean and besmirch and starve us.

If USU is not Mormon enough we get sued.

Is it not enough that they're tripping dwarfs here?
The founding articles for the school, the Lund Act. state that the school is to be non-secular How you do that in Utah has always been a challenge. In any case it shouldn't be a punishment.


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 6072
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 438 times
Contact:

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by TheAKAggie » December 18th, 2020, 10:40 am

El Sapo wrote:Just for kicks. Who would have the better case for discrimination?

Cockette a non LDS person who is fired for discriminatory remarks about an LDS FB coach.

Frank an LDS who claims discrimination in the hiring process against him by the school because he is LDS

There is probably a much better way to state it, but you get my drift. Discrimination against a Mormon in Utah? Or, discrimination against a non-Mormon in Utah?
One is a protected class.

Nailed it like Eberle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
El Sapo


Hail Aggies!

User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1335
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by Sl7vk » December 18th, 2020, 10:41 am

inconspicuous wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 8:32 am
Sl7vk wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 9:44 pm
trevordude wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 9:21 pm
I think Noelle Cockett is a fine person, but I do not think she has much knowledge on university sports. That's not necessarily a bad thing, she just has to find good people to trust with that area.

4 or so years ago at the Arizona bowl the Aggies lost to the other Aggies, there was a little pep rally a few days before the game. University and bowl officials were taking turns saying peppy things on stage between the school bands playing. When Noelle's turn came up, she excitedly said she wanted to make the Arizona bowl an annual event for USU.

Not a terrible statement, but it just shows a bit of disconnect on how things work in D1 football.
Yeah. Maybe so.
I met her at the Frisco bowl pre party and she was delightful. My 10 year couldn’t believe he got to talk to the President of USU.
She was a lovely person.
And because of that one interaction you have with her all the players on the call must be liars, have an agenda, or must simply not be smart enough to read into the context she was trying to convey.

Got it!
Well, that isn't exactly what I said.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3326
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 919 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by ineptimusprime » December 18th, 2020, 10:59 am

El Sapo wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:31 am
Just for kicks. Who would have the better case for discrimination?

Cockette a non LDS person who is fired for discriminatory remarks about an LDS FB coach.

Frank an LDS who claims discrimination in the hiring process against him by the school because he is LDS

There is probably a much better way to state it, but you get my drift. Discrimination against a Mormon in Utah? Or, discrimination against a non-Mormon in Utah?
The answer is Frank. By a lot. In your scenario, Cockett is being fired for her actions, not based on being a member of a protected class.

There’s also a reason Frank’s statement beat the reader over the head with the fact that he is Polynesian. The race angle is a much stronger angle than being discriminated against for being Mormon in Utah.



User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 1237
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 117 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by El Sapo » December 18th, 2020, 11:00 am

I had a woman for a boss most of my career. I found that she was quite a bit more aggressive than I would have been dealing with issues that arose in my male dominated profession. I think she felt a need to show her authority.

I could see Cockette having the same issues on the zoom call. Here she is the only female on the call, but she's also the boss. It's a different dynamic for both parties in the conversation. Like I saw in my experience, maybe she felt the need to communicate her authority to the players in a direct manor, and them being men (and experts in FB), didn't appreciate it.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOViAggie


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 1237
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 117 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by El Sapo » December 18th, 2020, 11:20 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:59 am
El Sapo wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:31 am
Just for kicks. Who would have the better case for discrimination?

Cockette a non LDS person who is fired for discriminatory remarks about an LDS FB coach.

Frank an LDS who claims discrimination in the hiring process against him by the school because he is LDS

There is probably a much better way to state it, but you get my drift. Discrimination against a Mormon in Utah? Or, discrimination against a non-Mormon in Utah?
The answer is Frank. By a lot. In your scenario, Cockett is being fired for her actions, not based on being a member of a protected class.

There’s also a reason Frank’s statement beat the reader over the head with the fact that he is Polynesian. The race angle is a much stronger angle than being discriminated against for being Mormon in Utah.
Yea, the players said religion, now Frank's attorney says race. Those are both discrimination qualifiers.

So, I'll make the argument that Cockett is also a protected class. A minority religion (in Utah). Also, protected class, (sex) female school president.

Consider LDS is predominant in Utah. And the racial makeup of the team? Poly is (probably?) over represented in our FB program vs the population of Utah. Seems like it will be hard to prove discrimination against those classes in the USU FB program.


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 4416
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 328 times
Been thanked: 772 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 18th, 2020, 11:28 am

Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 8:45 am
If president at the U keeps her job after the Lauren McKlusky (I can't express myself without swearing) show (holy hell did you see the Dateline on that) I can't understand why we would even talk about Dr Cockett listing hers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Or Chris Hill surviving the swimming coach scandal back in 2012-2013. That should have sunk him and possibly the university president.



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 11366
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 703 times
Been thanked: 476 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by ViAggie » December 18th, 2020, 11:29 am

USU78 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:07 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.
NSFW: Listen if you dare

These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
usufan1Sl7vk


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

oleblu111
Posts: 1819
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 890 times
Been thanked: 335 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by oleblu111 » December 18th, 2020, 11:36 am

The truth is this was a self inflected wound, why was a school president needed for a conversation about hiring a new football coach? I guess the A.D. could not do that on his own perhaps Johnny was not trusted by the kids.. Why did the A.D. say that Frank was going thru a audition for the job when he was not qualified or wanted for the gig ?

The failure at the U of U over the Mc Klusky murder was a failure of University law enforcement. We had our own with the Torry Green serial rapist problem, 15 rapes do not equal a murder but both a horrific crimes. neither were handled well.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 3):
ViAggieUSU78sockpuppet



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 1240
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has thanked: 922 times
Been thanked: 412 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 18th, 2020, 11:59 am

oleblu111 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 11:36 am
The truth is this was a self inflected wound, why was a school president needed for a conversation about hiring a new football coach? I guess the A.D. could not do that on his own perhaps Johnny was not trusted by the kids.. Why did the A.D. say that Frank was going thru a audition for the job when he was not qualified or wanted for the gig ?

The failure at the U of U over the Mc Klusky murder was a failure of University law enforcement. We had our own with the Torry Green serial rapist problem, 15 rapes do not equal a murder but both a horrific crimes. neither were handled well.
Yeah, basically the administration was trying to make the program too player-centric and it bit them right in the butt.



ususports
Posts: 1644
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 492 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by ususports » December 18th, 2020, 12:40 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 11:59 am
oleblu111 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 11:36 am
The truth is this was a self inflected wound, why was a school president needed for a conversation about hiring a new football coach? I guess the A.D. could not do that on his own perhaps Johnny was not trusted by the kids.. Why did the A.D. say that Frank was going thru a audition for the job when he was not qualified or wanted for the gig ?

The failure at the U of U over the Mc Klusky murder was a failure of University law enforcement. We had our own with the Torry Green serial rapist problem, 15 rapes do not equal a murder but both a horrific crimes. neither were handled well.
Yeah, basically the administration was trying to make the program too player-centric and it bit them right in the butt.
Well, they are the ones who make plays and win games. ;)
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
oleblu111



Elkaggie
Posts: 4149
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by Elkaggie » December 18th, 2020, 1:19 pm

In my opinion one of the details that hasn’t got a lot of attention is the fact that JH didn’t notify Frank himself he wasn’t getting the job and Maile heard from other sources. Had JH been more up front and honest during the process and notified Frank the second the job was given to BA then none of this entire mess would have happened. I believe had this happened the players meeting wouldn’t have taken place under such strange circumstances (and maybe wouldn’t have happened at all) and we would have gone on and played our last game with Maile on the sidelines and the transition to the new coach would have gone more smooth.

This is the second time that JH has clumsily handled the hiring process of our new Head Football Coach. This also may be why some other candidates like Jay Hill and others didn’t want the job or consider it very seriously.

Again, this is just my opinion.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 7534
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 421 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by Imakeitrain » December 18th, 2020, 3:48 pm

So MAJOR language warning- and although the topic itself is completely different I do think there may be various levels of parallel. How language can be interpreted and how not everything justifies the same level of outrage as other things that do justify outrage. It’s why I want to know what was said and the context.

My third favorite comedian behind jesenlnik and Herberg...

These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
Turtle


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

User avatar
travelingagg
Posts: 1127
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 10:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by travelingagg » December 18th, 2020, 4:29 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:07 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.
I disagree. I'm white, and there is absolutely no place for a white person to use the N word at USU or any other university. White people used to enslave blacks, and using the word is symbolic of racism that African Americans have endured. The word, if said by a white person, comes with centuries of stigma, and can induce fear and anxiety for our black brothers and sisters. Blacks are working to redefine themselves within American culture, and they should have every right to choose how the word should and shouldn't be used.

USU's mission is "to be one of the nation's premier student-centered land-grant and space-grant universities by fostering the principle that academics come first, by cultivating diversity of thought and culture, and by serving the public through learning, discovery, and engagement."

Potential players, their families, and others watch our team, our forums, and other interactions. Let's foster an environment where all athletes feel welcome. Athletes and athletes' families who are Black, Polynesian, Vietnamese, white, or other race/ethnicities should feel completely safe being at (or sending their child to) USU. And that sense of safety begins with a zero tolerance policy for racism.

Let's not tolerate bigotry of language, or religion (or lack of religion), of race, or of anything that makes us beautiful and unique.

Come on, Aggies. We've got this.
Last edited by travelingagg on December 18th, 2020, 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author travelingagg for the post (total 2):
oleblu111sockpuppet


Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl
Posts: 2628
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 10:18 pm
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 18th, 2020, 4:40 pm

USU78 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.
Woah. That’s quite the comment!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author BleedAggieBlue0 for the post (total 2):
travelingaggsockpuppet



stang
Posts: 721
Joined: January 25th, 2018, 5:08 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by stang » December 18th, 2020, 4:40 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 4:40 pm
USU78 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.
Woah. That’s quite the comment!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha if you think THAT'S something you should see what he says in the Sandbox sometimes!
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
travelingagg



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6739
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 563 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 18th, 2020, 5:29 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 4:40 pm
USU78 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.
Woah. That’s quite the comment!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's untrue about what he said?

It's a disgusting word, but you have to admit that culturally it is absolutely fine for a black person to say it whenever they want and it's never, ever, under any imaginable circumstances ok for a white person to say it.

I understand why that's the case and it's fine, believe me. I have absolutely no interest in ever using that word or in telling black people they can't. Merely pointing out the fact that it's completely fine for one race to use that word and not another isn't racist.

Also, that fact is extremely relevant to the case involving the trainer.
Last edited by 3rdGenAggie on December 18th, 2020, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
MrBiggle


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Smokin Joe
Posts: 3649
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by Smokin Joe » December 18th, 2020, 5:36 pm

travelingagg wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 4:29 pm
USU78 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:07 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.
I disagree. I'm white, and there is absolutely no place for a white person to use the N word at USU or any other university. White people used to enslave blacks, and using the word is symbolic of racism that African Americans have endured. The word, if said by a white person, comes with centuries of stigma, and can induce fear and anxiety for our black brothers and sisters. Blacks are working to redefine themselves within American culture, and they should have every right to choose how the word should and shouldn't be used.

USU's mission is "to be one of the nation's premier student-centered land-grant and space-grant universities by fostering the principle that academics come first, by cultivating diversity of thought and culture, and by serving the public through learning, discovery, and engagement."

Potential players, their families, and others watch our team, our forums, and other interactions. Let's foster an environment where all athletes feel welcome. Athletes and athletes' families who are Black, Polynesian, Vietnamese, white, or other race/ethnicities should feel completely safe being at (or sending their child to) USU. And that sense of safety begins with a zero tolerance policy for racism.

Let's not tolerate bigotry of language, or religion (or lack of religion), of race, or of anything that makes us beautiful and unique.

Come on, Aggies. We've got this.

So, in a paen to "diversity of thought and culture" using the "N word" will not be tolerated if spoken by a white guy, but will be tolerated if the speaker is black? Doesn't sound very diverse to me.
Last edited by Smokin Joe on December 18th, 2020, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 7534
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 421 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by Imakeitrain » December 18th, 2020, 5:39 pm

I don’t like using that word and I don’t like hearing it. It’s not always used as a term of endearment either. Although it’s not generally used in the black community with the same vitriol that it was during Jim Crow.

Many people in the black community (especially the older generations) don’t like the word either. It’s not a monolith, it’s a community filled with independent thinking people.

What really gets me is sometimes people complain about the use of the word by the black community - but it seems they’re more upset they “can’t” use the word more than they are that some people do use the word.

I’m also unsure why we are discussing the word. If Cockett used that word she’d have been gone before the end of that night.

The equipment manager used a “slur” I didn’t hear that it was the n-word. I feel like had he used that word it would have been known. Maybe not. It could have been boy and it could have been in a less offensive context.

Either way don’t conceal information and force me to speculate.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
3rdGenAggie


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl
Posts: 2628
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 10:18 pm
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 18th, 2020, 5:49 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 4:40 pm
USU78 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.
Woah. That’s quite the comment!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's untrue about what he said?

It's a disgusting word, but you have to admit that culturally it is absolutely fine for a black person to say it whenever they want and it's never, ever, under any imaginable circumstances ok for a white person to say it.

I understand why that's the case and it's fine, believe me. I have absolutely no interest in ever using that word or in telling black people they can't. Merely pointing out the fact that it's completely fine for one race to use that word and not another isn't racist.

Also, that fact is extremely relevant to the case involving the trainer.
So did he merely state that it’s the case, or did he call it stupid?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6739
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 563 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 18th, 2020, 5:58 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 5:49 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 4:40 pm
USU78 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.
Woah. That’s quite the comment!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's untrue about what he said?

It's a disgusting word, but you have to admit that culturally it is absolutely fine for a black person to say it whenever they want and it's never, ever, under any imaginable circumstances ok for a white person to say it.

I understand why that's the case and it's fine, believe me. I have absolutely no interest in ever using that word or in telling black people they can't. Merely pointing out the fact that it's completely fine for one race to use that word and not another isn't racist.

Also, that fact is extremely relevant to the case involving the trainer.
So did he merely state that it’s the case, or did he call it stupid?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Believing it is stupid that a word is ok for one race and not another is not necessarily an unreasonable belief.

It would be unreasonable to "wish" he could also say it, but to "wish" that it was taboo for everyone would be reasonable.

All IMO of course.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl
Posts: 2628
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 10:18 pm
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 18th, 2020, 6:01 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 5:49 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 4:40 pm
USU78 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.
Woah. That’s quite the comment!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's untrue about what he said?

It's a disgusting word, but you have to admit that culturally it is absolutely fine for a black person to say it whenever they want and it's never, ever, under any imaginable circumstances ok for a white person to say it.

I understand why that's the case and it's fine, believe me. I have absolutely no interest in ever using that word or in telling black people they can't. Merely pointing out the fact that it's completely fine for one race to use that word and not another isn't racist.

Also, that fact is extremely relevant to the case involving the trainer.
So did he merely state that it’s the case, or did he call it stupid?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Believing it is stupid that a word is ok for one race and not another is not necessarily an unreasonable belief.

It would be unreasonable to "wish" he could also say it, but to "wish" that it was taboo for everyone would be reasonable.

All IMO of course.
Yeah, that’s fine if you don’t think it’s wrong to say that it’s stupid. I absolutely do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



stang
Posts: 721
Joined: January 25th, 2018, 5:08 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by stang » December 18th, 2020, 6:07 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 5:39 pm
I don’t like using that word and I don’t like hearing it. It’s not always used as a term of endearment either. Although it’s not generally used in the black community with the same vitriol that it was during Jim Crow.

Many people in the black community (especially the older generations) don’t like the word either. It’s not a monolith, it’s a community filled with independent thinking people.

What really gets me is sometimes people complain about the use of the word by the black community - but it seems they’re more upset they “can’t” use the word more than they are that some people do use the word.

I’m also unsure why we are discussing the word. If Cockett used that word she’d have been gone before the end of that night.

The equipment manager used a “slur” I didn’t hear that it was the n-word. I feel like had he used that word it would have been known. Maybe not. It could have been boy and it could have been in a less offensive context.

Either way don’t conceal information and force me to speculate.
The entire case stemmed from Devon Anderson's girlfriend saying that he was told by Bair to "get back in line N*****." That's a quote. Whether it happened or not, I don't know, but it wasn't just some slur.



GA_Aggie
Posts: 51
Joined: March 1st, 2018, 10:49 am
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by GA_Aggie » December 18th, 2020, 6:15 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 7:08 am
Now that everybody's nicely lawyered up, nobody's gonna say anything and we'll all be far afield from actual truth.

What an absolute sh!tshow.
So, for the lawyers out there, how does an independent investigation figure out what happened if everyone is lawyered up and won’t talk?



Imakeitrain
Posts: 7534
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 421 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by Imakeitrain » December 18th, 2020, 6:15 pm

stang wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 6:07 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 5:39 pm
I don’t like using that word and I don’t like hearing it. It’s not always used as a term of endearment either. Although it’s not generally used in the black community with the same vitriol that it was during Jim Crow.

Many people in the black community (especially the older generations) don’t like the word either. It’s not a monolith, it’s a community filled with independent thinking people.

What really gets me is sometimes people complain about the use of the word by the black community - but it seems they’re more upset they “can’t” use the word more than they are that some people do use the word.

I’m also unsure why we are discussing the word. If Cockett used that word she’d have been gone before the end of that night.

The equipment manager used a “slur” I didn’t hear that it was the n-word. I feel like had he used that word it would have been known. Maybe not. It could have been boy and it could have been in a less offensive context.

Either way don’t conceal information and force me to speculate.
The entire case stemmed from Devon Anderson's girlfriend saying that he was told by Bair to "get back in line N*****." That's a quote. Whether it happened or not, I don't know, but it wasn't just some slur.
I didn’t know that. That’s why I said I didn’t hear it. That would certainly be worthy of firing. Did he deny it?

I’m not sure it justifies attacks on Cockett.

Some people get fired some people get reprimanded. I’d probably be more prone to a firing in that specific instance assuming I believed the accusation. (Which right now knowing nothing about it, I have no reason not to)


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3326
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 919 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by ineptimusprime » December 18th, 2020, 6:24 pm

El Sapo wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 11:20 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:59 am
El Sapo wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:31 am
Just for kicks. Who would have the better case for discrimination?

Cockette a non LDS person who is fired for discriminatory remarks about an LDS FB coach.

Frank an LDS who claims discrimination in the hiring process against him by the school because he is LDS

There is probably a much better way to state it, but you get my drift. Discrimination against a Mormon in Utah? Or, discrimination against a non-Mormon in Utah?
The answer is Frank. By a lot. In your scenario, Cockett is being fired for her actions, not based on being a member of a protected class.

There’s also a reason Frank’s statement beat the reader over the head with the fact that he is Polynesian. The race angle is a much stronger angle than being discriminated against for being Mormon in Utah.
Yea, the players said religion, now Frank's attorney says race. Those are both discrimination qualifiers.

So, I'll make the argument that Cockett is also a protected class. A minority religion (in Utah). Also, protected class, (sex) female school president.

Consider LDS is predominant in Utah. And the racial makeup of the team? Poly is (probably?) over represented in our FB program vs the population of Utah. Seems like it will be hard to prove discrimination against those classes in the USU FB program.
Yes, but in your scenario, Cockett isn’t getting fired because she is female or because she isn’t Mormon. You can fire a woman. You just can’t fire someone BECAUSE they are a woman.

Frank’s case is a much better one, because it’s a muddled mess of what was actually said, and it sounds like he has at least some witnesses willing to say he was not considered for the job because he’s a Mormon Polynesian.



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9238
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2395 times
Been thanked: 752 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by USU78 » December 18th, 2020, 6:33 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 4:40 pm
USU78 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.
Woah. That’s quite the comment!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where and when I grew up, nobody but nobody used it. You were an uncouth ignoramus barbarian if you did.


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

sockpuppet
Posts: 1602
Joined: January 10th, 2012, 7:49 am
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by sockpuppet » December 18th, 2020, 7:34 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:07 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.
I don't think it's stupid that I, as a white guy, can't use the "N" word. This is a word that was the last word that countless thousands of Black persons heard before they were murdered. If groups of minorities use the word and flip it as a form of empowerment, it is not my place to tell anyone that it is stupid.
These users thanked the author sockpuppet for the post:
AGinNEIowa



Imakeitrain
Posts: 7534
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 421 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by Imakeitrain » December 18th, 2020, 11:24 pm

sockpuppet wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 7:34 pm
USU78 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:07 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.
I don't think it's stupid that I, as a white guy, can't use the "N" word. This is a word that was the last word that countless thousands of Black persons heard before they were murdered. If groups of minorities use the word and flip it as a form of empowerment, it is not my place to tell anyone that it is stupid.
It's stupid because it's moral relativism, and moral relativism is stupid. What is another example of ethics that change dependent on the skin color of the person doing the action? Am I allowed to steal because I'm brown?

A moral question is answered by acting in ways that you'd "will it to become a universal law" .

Maybe it's wrong for anyone to drop N bombs. But that's just me. If you think the n-bomb is acceptable that's on you.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
USU78


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

stwinward
Posts: 439
Joined: August 31st, 2013, 9:35 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by stwinward » December 19th, 2020, 5:31 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 11:24 pm
sockpuppet wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 7:34 pm
USU78 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:07 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm
What was the deal with the equipment manager situation? When did this occurr i dont rwmenber hearing this prior to this situation.
Not complicated. Black guys can use the "N" word. White guys can't.

It's stupid, but them's the rules, and a benign intent is irrelevant.
I don't think it's stupid that I, as a white guy, can't use the "N" word. This is a word that was the last word that countless thousands of Black persons heard before they were murdered. If groups of minorities use the word and flip it as a form of empowerment, it is not my place to tell anyone that it is stupid.
It's stupid because it's moral relativism, and moral relativism is stupid. What is another example of ethics that change dependent on the skin color of the person doing the action? Am I allowed to steal because I'm brown?

A moral question is answered by acting in ways that you'd "will it to become a universal law" .

Maybe it's wrong for anyone to drop N bombs. But that's just me. If you think the n-bomb is acceptable that's on you.
I can't recall where, left coast comes to mind, but apparently the "poverty defense" may soon be a thing and allow a person to get off on charges of theft, assault, or drug use. Seems to me wrong should be wrong no matter who's doing it.



JFW_AGGIES
Posts: 681
Joined: September 2nd, 2017, 6:02 am
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 133 times

Re: Doug Robinson article on the Maile incident

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 19th, 2020, 8:16 am

From the evidence that has been made public Frank has very little chance in winning a discrimination lawsuit against the University. They may choose to settle to get this to go away, but he would need a lot more evidence than what has been disclosed thus far



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic