More coaching info

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10682
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6609 times
Been thanked: 4069 times
Contact:

More coaching info

Post by aggies22 » December 14th, 2020, 10:22 am

Expect to hear Paul Jackson from South Carolina named as the strength and conditioning coach. Also don't be shocked to see Bojay Filimoeatu and Stacy Collins retained.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 13):
slcaggMadmartiganUSU783rdGenAggieSlumJumBLUERUFiOMachismobluegrouseGA_AggieDreadPirateRoberts and 3 more users



Trueblue14
Posts: 4
Joined: May 3rd, 2019, 10:27 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: More coaching info

Post by Trueblue14 » December 14th, 2020, 10:23 am

Do we know who our defensive coordinator will be?



HomeTown
Posts: 156
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 10:07 am
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by HomeTown » December 14th, 2020, 10:33 am

Trueblue14 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:23 am
Do we know who our defensive coordinator will be?
People are saying it will be Ephraim Banda from Miami, I believe.



User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 774
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 588 times
Been thanked: 202 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by thegreendalegelf » December 14th, 2020, 10:35 am

HomeTown wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:33 am
Trueblue14 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:23 am
Do we know who our defensive coordinator will be?
People are saying it will be Ephraim Banda from Miami, I believe.
OC from UCF and DC from Miami? Sounds like we are going to be hitting Florida hard for recruiting.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
BLUERUFiO



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9272
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2413 times
Been thanked: 759 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by USU78 » December 14th, 2020, 10:37 am

Banda. Aranda.

Auspicious, if true.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 3):
aggies22MachismoGUS


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5704
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 953 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 14th, 2020, 10:39 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:22 am
Expect to hear Paul Jackson from South Carolina named as the strength and conditioning coach. Also don't be shocked to see Bojay Filimoeatu and Stacy Collins retained.
I'm confused/excited. Paul Jackson is the head strength at South Carolina and prior to that spent 8 years as the head strength coach at Ole Miss. Why, exactly, is he leaving that job to come to USU?
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on December 14th, 2020, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10682
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6609 times
Been thanked: 4069 times
Contact:

Re: More coaching info

Post by aggies22 » December 14th, 2020, 10:40 am

HomeTown wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:33 am
Trueblue14 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:23 am
Do we know who our defensive coordinator will be?
People are saying it will be Ephraim Banda from Miami, I believe.
I'll take the heat for this if I'm wrong. I'm the one that said Ephraim Banda.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10682
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6609 times
Been thanked: 4069 times
Contact:

Re: More coaching info

Post by aggies22 » December 14th, 2020, 10:41 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:39 am
aggies22 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:22 am
Expect to hear Paul Jackson from South Carolina named as the strength and conditioning coach. Also don't be shocked to see Bojay Filimoeatu and Stacy Collins retained.
I'm confused/excited. Paul Jackson is the head strength at South Carolina and prior to that spent 8 years as the head strength coach at Ole Miss. Why, exactly, is he leaving that job to come to USU?
I believe he was part of the staff that was let go at South Carolina.



User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 752
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 14th, 2020, 10:41 am

I like the Paul Jackson hire. Sounds like he's been the head S&C guy for SEC teams for the last 9 years, and at Southern Miss, Miami (Ohio) and LSU before that. A great S&C program is absolutely essential for us as a developmental program. We've been lacking in this area the last few years, and I think this is maybe one of the most important hires to get us back on the right trajectory. Nice find, Coach A!!
These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO



TrueAG
Posts: 1214
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:19 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by TrueAG » December 14th, 2020, 10:42 am

Excited for a new Strength Coach. Seems like one of our biggest needs! Can he help with the Basketball team also?
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
gomretat



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5704
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 953 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 14th, 2020, 10:45 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:41 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:39 am
aggies22 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:22 am
Expect to hear Paul Jackson from South Carolina named as the strength and conditioning coach. Also don't be shocked to see Bojay Filimoeatu and Stacy Collins retained.
I'm confused/excited. Paul Jackson is the head strength at South Carolina and prior to that spent 8 years as the head strength coach at Ole Miss. Why, exactly, is he leaving that job to come to USU?
I believe he was part of the staff that was let go at South Carolina.
Ah, got it. Thank you! He was part of Muschamp's staff that was fired. So in turn he was out of a job as well.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 7570
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 421 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by Imakeitrain » December 14th, 2020, 10:46 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:40 am
HomeTown wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:33 am
Trueblue14 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:23 am
Do we know who our defensive coordinator will be?
People are saying it will be Ephraim Banda from Miami, I believe.
I'll take the heat for this if I'm wrong. I'm the one that said Ephraim Banda.
I feel like your twitter was fairly non comittal and said that you were “hearing he’s a candidate” or something. It seems like people ran too far with it


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 752
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 14th, 2020, 10:49 am

according to Jackson's USC bio, his wife is a bit of a winter sports aficionado. *maybe* if we treat him nice and mother nature does her part, we might hope to keep him here a few years?!



Machismo
Posts: 3962
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:10 pm
Location: Providence ,Utah
Has thanked: 473 times
Been thanked: 103 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by Machismo » December 14th, 2020, 11:02 am



"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6766
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 572 times
Been thanked: 257 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 14th, 2020, 11:08 am

There are plenty of threads in which to debate this, but I have to think that at one point Frank stood a really good chance at keeping his job and his top 1.5% in the country income, given that Collins and Bojay are likely invited back.

He'll probably be hired elsewhere and if so it'll be interesting if he can get $250k as a position coach at his next job.
Last edited by 3rdGenAggie on December 14th, 2020, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1612
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 346 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 14th, 2020, 11:08 am

aggies22 wrote:Expect to hear Paul Jackson from South Carolina named as the strength and conditioning coach. Also don't be shocked to see Bojay Filimoeatu and Stacy Collins retained.
So Shane Beamer must not be retaining Jackson then. That’s a pretty big get for us.

I’m glad Collins is being retained. He’s gotten a lot of good players for us out of the NW. maybe he goes back to special teams coach and one other position.

Question about Bojay. Isn’t Filimoeatu Tongan decent, which is same as Frank? Hopefully Bojay can help smooth over some of the damage. I’d like to see another poly or two and strong LDS connection. We are going to need to rebuild some trust within those demographics.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieBLUERUFiO



User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 752
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 14th, 2020, 11:31 am

uh-oh. didn't i just hear Coach A say that his S&C coach was part of a bowl team? the Gamecocks are 2-8 this year...not bowl eligible by historical standards, anyway? what am I missing? maybe Jackson isn't our guy after all?



Aggie84025
Posts: 3086
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1045 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by Aggie84025 » December 14th, 2020, 11:36 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:08 am
aggies22 wrote:Expect to hear Paul Jackson from South Carolina named as the strength and conditioning coach. Also don't be shocked to see Bojay Filimoeatu and Stacy Collins retained.
So Shane Beamer must not be retaining Jackson then. That’s a pretty big get for us.

I’m glad Collins is being retained. He’s gotten a lot of good players for us out of the NW. maybe he goes back to special teams coach and one other position.

Question about Bojay. Isn’t Filimoeatu Tongan decent, which is same as Frank? Hopefully Bojay can help smooth over some of the damage. I’d like to see another poly or two and strong LDS connection. We are going to need to rebuild some trust within those demographics.
I hope he brings in a coach that understands the returned missionary program and the importance of it. That is one area that helped turn this thing around. Not saying that should be our only focus, for sure should be something that is important for USU. We are obviously going to open and spend a lot more time in Texas, Florida and the south which I think will be great. Most important thing is to get guys that want to be in Logan since it is a lot different from other places. I am stoked to have BA leading the charge.



usufan1
Posts: 579
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:09 pm
Has thanked: 295 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by usufan1 » December 14th, 2020, 11:39 am

ShowMeAggie wrote:uh-oh. didn't i just hear Coach A say that his S&C coach was part of a bowl team? the Gamecocks are 2-8 this year...not bowl eligible by historical standards, anyway? what am I missing? maybe Jackson isn't our guy after all?
South Carolina is playing in a bowl game. Season record requirements were thrown out the window this year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk




User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 752
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 14th, 2020, 11:40 am

yep...i stand corrected:

South Carolina Gamecocks Bowl Projections
ESPN (Mark Schlabach): Gasparilla Bowl (South Carolina vs. Georgia Tech)
ESPN (Kyle Bonagura): Liberty Bowl (South Carolina vs. TCU)
College Football News: Armed Forces Bowl (South Carolina vs. Colorado)
CBS: Gator Bowl (South Carolina vs. Wake Forest)
Stadium (Brett McMurphy): Gasparilla Bowl (South Carolina vs. Liberty)

So there's still a chance Jackson is our guy. (Never really doubted aggies22, but I got worried that something might have happened to torpedo what looked to be a stellar get. i feel better and shouldn't have freaked out...)
Last edited by ShowMeAggie on December 14th, 2020, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.



Yossarian
Posts: 4518
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 795 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by Yossarian » December 14th, 2020, 11:40 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:36 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:08 am
aggies22 wrote:Expect to hear Paul Jackson from South Carolina named as the strength and conditioning coach. Also don't be shocked to see Bojay Filimoeatu and Stacy Collins retained.
So Shane Beamer must not be retaining Jackson then. That’s a pretty big get for us.

I’m glad Collins is being retained. He’s gotten a lot of good players for us out of the NW. maybe he goes back to special teams coach and one other position.

Question about Bojay. Isn’t Filimoeatu Tongan decent, which is same as Frank? Hopefully Bojay can help smooth over some of the damage. I’d like to see another poly or two and strong LDS connection. We are going to need to rebuild some trust within those demographics.
I hope he brings in a coach that understands the returned missionary program and the importance of it. That is one area that helped turn this thing around. Not saying that should be our only focus, for sure should be something that is important for USU. We are obviously going to open and spend a lot more time in Texas, Florida and the south which I think will be great. Most important thing is to get guys that want to be in Logan since it is a lot different from other places. I am stoked to have BA leading the charge.
Even if he doesn't have a coach on staff that is LDS, he will not have a shortage of outside advisors that can explain how the missions work and how to recruit LDS kids.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
splintorb



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1338
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 464 times
Been thanked: 637 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by Sl7vk » December 14th, 2020, 11:42 am

Yossarian wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:40 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:36 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:08 am
aggies22 wrote:Expect to hear Paul Jackson from South Carolina named as the strength and conditioning coach. Also don't be shocked to see Bojay Filimoeatu and Stacy Collins retained.
So Shane Beamer must not be retaining Jackson then. That’s a pretty big get for us.

I’m glad Collins is being retained. He’s gotten a lot of good players for us out of the NW. maybe he goes back to special teams coach and one other position.

Question about Bojay. Isn’t Filimoeatu Tongan decent, which is same as Frank? Hopefully Bojay can help smooth over some of the damage. I’d like to see another poly or two and strong LDS connection. We are going to need to rebuild some trust within those demographics.
I hope he brings in a coach that understands the returned missionary program and the importance of it. That is one area that helped turn this thing around. Not saying that should be our only focus, for sure should be something that is important for USU. We are obviously going to open and spend a lot more time in Texas, Florida and the south which I think will be great. Most important thing is to get guys that want to be in Logan since it is a lot different from other places. I am stoked to have BA leading the charge.
Even if he doesn't have a coach on staff that is LDS, he will not have a shortage of outside advisors that can explain how the missions work and how to recruit LDS kids.
Is the missionary program that difficult to decode?
We make it sound like it's more complicated than solving world hunger....
It just takes the ability to do some basic math, and understand the benefits that come along with 2 extra years of development.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 5):
splintorbAggiePTaggies22OrangeCountyAggiebluegrouse



Yossarian
Posts: 4518
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 795 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by Yossarian » December 14th, 2020, 11:45 am

Sl7vk wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:42 am
Yossarian wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:40 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:36 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:08 am
aggies22 wrote:Expect to hear Paul Jackson from South Carolina named as the strength and conditioning coach. Also don't be shocked to see Bojay Filimoeatu and Stacy Collins retained.
So Shane Beamer must not be retaining Jackson then. That’s a pretty big get for us.

I’m glad Collins is being retained. He’s gotten a lot of good players for us out of the NW. maybe he goes back to special teams coach and one other position.

Question about Bojay. Isn’t Filimoeatu Tongan decent, which is same as Frank? Hopefully Bojay can help smooth over some of the damage. I’d like to see another poly or two and strong LDS connection. We are going to need to rebuild some trust within those demographics.
I hope he brings in a coach that understands the returned missionary program and the importance of it. That is one area that helped turn this thing around. Not saying that should be our only focus, for sure should be something that is important for USU. We are obviously going to open and spend a lot more time in Texas, Florida and the south which I think will be great. Most important thing is to get guys that want to be in Logan since it is a lot different from other places. I am stoked to have BA leading the charge.
Even if he doesn't have a coach on staff that is LDS, he will not have a shortage of outside advisors that can explain how the missions work and how to recruit LDS kids.
Is the missionary program that difficult to decode?
We make it sound like it's more complicated than solving world hunger....
It just takes the ability to do some basic math, and understand the benefits that come along with 2 extra years of development.
I don't think the math part of it is the difficult part. I think having a coach that understands why the kids go and how it could be off-putting if you get the reputation as a guy that tries to talk kids out of going on a mission. That's one area where an advisor can help - be he a coach on staff or otherwise.



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6766
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 572 times
Been thanked: 257 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 14th, 2020, 11:50 am

Yossarian wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:45 am
Sl7vk wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:42 am
Yossarian wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:40 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:36 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:08 am
aggies22 wrote:Expect to hear Paul Jackson from South Carolina named as the strength and conditioning coach. Also don't be shocked to see Bojay Filimoeatu and Stacy Collins retained.
So Shane Beamer must not be retaining Jackson then. That’s a pretty big get for us.

I’m glad Collins is being retained. He’s gotten a lot of good players for us out of the NW. maybe he goes back to special teams coach and one other position.

Question about Bojay. Isn’t Filimoeatu Tongan decent, which is same as Frank? Hopefully Bojay can help smooth over some of the damage. I’d like to see another poly or two and strong LDS connection. We are going to need to rebuild some trust within those demographics.
I hope he brings in a coach that understands the returned missionary program and the importance of it. That is one area that helped turn this thing around. Not saying that should be our only focus, for sure should be something that is important for USU. We are obviously going to open and spend a lot more time in Texas, Florida and the south which I think will be great. Most important thing is to get guys that want to be in Logan since it is a lot different from other places. I am stoked to have BA leading the charge.
Even if he doesn't have a coach on staff that is LDS, he will not have a shortage of outside advisors that can explain how the missions work and how to recruit LDS kids.
Is the missionary program that difficult to decode?
We make it sound like it's more complicated than solving world hunger....
It just takes the ability to do some basic math, and understand the benefits that come along with 2 extra years of development.
I don't think the math part of it is the difficult part. I think having a coach that understands why the kids go and how it could be off-putting if you get the reputation as a guy that tries to talk kids out of going on a mission. That's one area where an advisor can help - be he a coach on staff or otherwise.
He just was very clear about being a religious person in the press conference. He won't have any issue with the mission program or recruiting LDS kids at all.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 752
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 14th, 2020, 11:53 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:50 am

He just was very clear about being a religious person in the press conference. He won't have any issue with the mission program or recruiting LDS kids at all.
unless he hates mormons ;) :stirpot:
These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieAggieArmy



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9272
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2413 times
Been thanked: 759 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by USU78 » December 14th, 2020, 12:02 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:53 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:50 am

He just was very clear about being a religious person in the press conference. He won't have any issue with the mission program or recruiting LDS kids at all.
unless he hates mormons, too ;) :stirpot:
FIFY :devil:
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 3):
ShowMeAggie3rdGenAggiebrownjeans


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Jete2
Posts: 4
Joined: December 15th, 2020, 5:38 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by Jete2 » December 15th, 2020, 5:48 pm

Trueblue14 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:23 am
Do we know who our defensive coordinator will be?
Bert Watts LB coach at Memphis and former Fresno State DC will be the DC. Anderson and Watts are represented by the same agent. I would look for Watts to be announced right after Memphis’ bowl game on the 23rd or maybe after signing day tomorrow.



Aggie19
Posts: 914
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 635 times
Been thanked: 494 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by Aggie19 » December 15th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Jete2 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 5:48 pm
Trueblue14 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:23 am
Do we know who our defensive coordinator will be?
Bert Watts LB coach at Memphis and former Fresno State DC will be the DC. Anderson and Watts are represented by the same agent. I would look for Watts to be announced right after Memphis’ bowl game on the 23rd or maybe after signing day tomorrow.
He looks pretty white, didn't Anderson say yesterday in his press conference that his OC, DC and ST coordinators were all minorities?
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
FriendofMerlin


Go Aggies!

AggieFanNate
Posts: 32
Joined: December 15th, 2020, 6:17 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by AggieFanNate » December 15th, 2020, 6:05 pm

I thought It was gonna be banda?



gomretat
Posts: 697
Joined: November 27th, 2013, 10:16 am
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by gomretat » December 15th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Yossarian wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:45 am
Sl7vk wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:42 am
Yossarian wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:40 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:36 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:08 am
aggies22 wrote:Expect to hear Paul Jackson from South Carolina named as the strength and conditioning coach. Also don't be shocked to see Bojay Filimoeatu and Stacy Collins retained.
So Shane Beamer must not be retaining Jackson then. That’s a pretty big get for us.

I’m glad Collins is being retained. He’s gotten a lot of good players for us out of the NW. maybe he goes back to special teams coach and one other position.

Question about Bojay. Isn’t Filimoeatu Tongan decent, which is same as Frank? Hopefully Bojay can help smooth over some of the damage. I’d like to see another poly or two and strong LDS connection. We are going to need to rebuild some trust within those demographics.
I hope he brings in a coach that understands the returned missionary program and the importance of it. That is one area that helped turn this thing around. Not saying that should be our only focus, for sure should be something that is important for USU. We are obviously going to open and spend a lot more time in Texas, Florida and the south which I think will be great. Most important thing is to get guys that want to be in Logan since it is a lot different from other places. I am stoked to have BA leading the charge.
Even if he doesn't have a coach on staff that is LDS, he will not have a shortage of outside advisors that can explain how the missions work and how to recruit LDS kids.
Is the missionary program that difficult to decode?
We make it sound like it's more complicated than solving world hunger....
It just takes the ability to do some basic math, and understand the benefits that come along with 2 extra years of development.
I don't think the math part of it is the difficult part. I think having a coach that understands why the kids go and how it could be off-putting if you get the reputation as a guy that tries to talk kids out of going on a mission. That's one area where an advisor can help - be he a coach on staff or otherwise.
Agreed. And how the topic is dealt with and understand has a lot of impact on what parents say and how they whisper (or shout) in the ear of their son about what makes sense. Not a math issue in any way but a big deal how it is supported if you want to recruit Utah.



gomretat
Posts: 697
Joined: November 27th, 2013, 10:16 am
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by gomretat » December 15th, 2020, 6:19 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:08 am
There are plenty of threads in which to debate this, but I have to think that at one point Frank stood a really good chance at keeping his job and his top 1.5% in the country income, given that Collins and Bojay are likely invited back.

He'll probably be hired elsewhere and if so it'll be interesting if he can get $250k as a position coach at his next job.
I was thinking the same thing. And I am probably in the minority but keeping a few people from the previous staff has some huge benefit if they buy into what the new coach is doing. Really hope that happens.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
3rdGenAggie



Jete2
Posts: 4
Joined: December 15th, 2020, 5:38 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by Jete2 » December 15th, 2020, 6:39 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 6:02 pm
Jete2 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 5:48 pm
Trueblue14 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:23 am
Do we know who our defensive coordinator will be?
Bert Watts LB coach at Memphis and former Fresno State DC will be the DC. Anderson and Watts are represented by the same agent. I would look for Watts to be announced right after Memphis’ bowl game on the 23rd or maybe after signing day tomorrow.
He looks pretty white, didn't Anderson say yesterday in his press conference that his OC, DC and ST coordinators were all minorities?
Oops, I just went back and listened. I was getting info from two college coaches who stopped by my school and
“assured” me that Watts would be the new DC. So, we will see.
These users thanked the author Jete2 for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOAggie19



splintorb
Posts: 320
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by splintorb » December 15th, 2020, 7:56 pm

Jete2 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 6:39 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 6:02 pm
Jete2 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 5:48 pm
Trueblue14 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:23 am
Do we know who our defensive coordinator will be?
Bert Watts LB coach at Memphis and former Fresno State DC will be the DC. Anderson and Watts are represented by the same agent. I would look for Watts to be announced right after Memphis’ bowl game on the 23rd or maybe after signing day tomorrow.
He looks pretty white, didn't Anderson say yesterday in his press conference that his OC, DC and ST coordinators were all minorities?
Oops, I just went back and listened. I was getting info from two college coaches who stopped by my school and
“assured” me that Watts would be the new DC. So, we will see.
Jete, so who you saying will be the DC?
Cause you’ve now said two different people...
These users thanked the author splintorb for the post:
Aggiecountry



Jete2
Posts: 4
Joined: December 15th, 2020, 5:38 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by Jete2 » December 16th, 2020, 8:59 am

splintorb wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 7:56 pm
Jete2 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 6:39 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 6:02 pm
Jete2 wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 5:48 pm
Trueblue14 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:23 am
Do we know who our defensive coordinator will be?
Bert Watts LB coach at Memphis and former Fresno State DC will be the DC. Anderson and Watts are represented by the same agent. I would look for Watts to be announced right after Memphis’ bowl game on the 23rd or maybe after signing day tomorrow.
He looks pretty white, didn't Anderson say yesterday in his press conference that his OC, DC and ST coordinators were all minorities?
Oops, I just went back and listened. I was getting info from two college coaches who stopped by my school and
“assured” me that Watts would be the new DC. So, we will see.
Jete, so who you saying will be the DC?
Cause you’ve now said two different people...
Not sure what you mean if you reread my posts. I said Bert Watts and only Bert Watts based on what a couple of coaches in the profession told me. I went back and listened to Coach Anderson’s presser to hear him say his coordinators would be minorities. Coach Watts appears to be white (maybe he is not; but I don’t know). I was just confirming from the previous poster that he appears to be white. Now I am confused!



JFW_AGGIES
Posts: 681
Joined: September 2nd, 2017, 6:02 am
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 133 times

Re: More coaching info

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 16th, 2020, 9:18 am

I'd be OK with Bert Watts he seems to have operated some very good D's in the past.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic