What one former USU player claims Cockett said

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USUallyAGGrIvatEd

What one former USU player claims Cockett said

Post by USUallyAGGrIvatEd » December 13th, 2020, 12:09 am

Closest thing I have seen to a quote from Noelle is over on the USU Football Players FB page. McFadden is the former player.

www.Facebook.com/groups/UtahStateFootballPlayers

Intermeddler

Re: What one former USU player claims Cockett said

Post by Intermeddler » December 13th, 2020, 12:18 am

That page smells of aggrieved, insignificant former players complaining about every thing that comes up

USUallyAGGrIvatEd

Post by USUallyAGGrIvatEd » December 13th, 2020, 12:23 am

McFadden hardly insignificant. You’re probably an insignificant human being though. And the smell is from you.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 13th, 2020, 12:33 am

USUallyAGGrIvatEd wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 12:23 am
McFadden hardly insignificant. You’re probably an insignificant human being though. And the smell is from you.
That’s definitely it
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
MadmartiganAggieArmy

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 13th, 2020, 2:45 am

Yeah, if anything, the comments on that Facebook page only further convince me that the players' boycott was really based on their guy not getting the job.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
Intermeddler

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 13th, 2020, 4:18 am

A rant about leadership allowing the program to fall apart and at the same time complaining about Andersen being fired just 3 games into the season. Because that makes sense.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 13th, 2020, 6:49 am

USUallyAGGrIvatEd wrote:
Forum username checks out.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 13th, 2020, 6:56 am

USUallyAGGrIvatEd wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 12:09 am
Closest thing I have seen to a quote from Noelle is over on the USU Football Players FB page. McFadden is the former player.

Hearsay upon hearsay.

He.
Was.
Not.
There.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyNavyBlueAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 13th, 2020, 7:47 am

I am already tired of this nonsense. Let what was said out into the open or let's all stop making assumptions.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
MrBiggle

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 13th, 2020, 8:25 am

I don't have a CLUE what was said or who is wrong and who is right. What I DO know, is Brennan McFadden is currently a high school coach in California and he has a former player that MAY have been in on the meeting as a member of the leadership council.

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » December 13th, 2020, 8:41 am

Sounds like the phrasing has been pretty consistent and incredibly damning if true. If that is what she indeed said then Cockett is as good as gone.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 13th, 2020, 8:50 am

MaverickAggie wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 8:41 am
Sounds like the phrasing has been pretty consistent and incredibly damning if true. If that is what she indeed said then Cockett is as good as gone.
If.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 13th, 2020, 8:58 am

USUallyAGGrIvatEd wrote:

One more thing: I find it offensive that you call this, at best, double hearsay a near quote. Think, please. This whole thing is a bunch of rumor-mongering, and we have nothing but the hearsay written statement, obviously a committee production, possibly produced by counsel.

That ain't evidence
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 4):
AngusAgJSHarveyLKGatesFloridaAggie13

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 13th, 2020, 9:06 am

USU78 wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 8:58 am
USUallyAGGrIvatEd wrote:

One more thing: I find it offensive that you call this, at best, double hearsay a near quote. Think, please. This whole thing is a bunch of rumor-mongering, and we have nothing but the hearsay written statement, obviously a committee production, possibly produced by counsel.

That ain't evidence
The only reasonable response is yours: wait and see what was actually said via someone that was there, not second or third hand accounts. I reserve judgement until then, peck.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
USU78

SaintAggie

Post by SaintAggie » December 13th, 2020, 9:55 am

USUallyAGGrIvatEd wrote:
Well that got crazy fast
These users thanked the author SaintAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 13th, 2020, 10:10 am

“I have two concerns about Frank being the next head coach. First, he’s from the state of Utah , and secondly him being of Mormon Faith."

So the players want to highlight "the ongoing problems of inequality” against:

1. (People) from the state of Utah (at Utah State University)
2 Mormon Faith (in the state of Utah)

He doesn't even allege it was because Maile is Polynesian. It's because of all that systematic racism against people who are A.) From the state and B.) belong to the predominant religion of the state that are the victims of systematic racism.

Maybe if the linemen of his era spent more time in class and less time smoking pot in Richards Hall and skipping class- he would have invented a better smear.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
FloridaAggie13

rAggie

Post by rAggie » December 13th, 2020, 1:29 pm

There’s not a chance in hell Cockett said what he accuses her of saying by way of hearsay.

For me it is increasingly and far more likely that a group of aggrieved players who were part of a meeting on Tuesday and clearly weren’t going to get the outcome they wanted are engaging in a coordinated hit job. That explains to me why the meeting was Tuesday and there wasn’t a peep about it until Friday except for a few stray tweets Thursday night, which if you take the Bond tweets as example alleged racial bias, whereas this alleged quote accuses of religious bias.

This whole thing stinks to high heaven.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 5):
Sl7vkAggieFBObsessionJSHarveyAgMacChowderAggie

Showing my True Colors since 2022

AggieHead

Post by AggieHead » December 13th, 2020, 2:09 pm

There is absolutely no way that this is what she said. I could totally see a player, emotional about not getting their way telling others that “this is basically what she was saying”.

Donman

Post by Donman » December 13th, 2020, 2:10 pm

I'm beginning to agree

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

stwinward

Post by stwinward » December 13th, 2020, 2:43 pm

That near quote non quote doesn't touch race at all which is in contrast to FM's statement.

I'll keep waiting til the investigation is done to decide, but this stinks funny.
These users thanked the author stwinward for the post:
CastIronAggie

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » December 13th, 2020, 3:17 pm

USUallyAGGrIvatEd wrote:

You have to have the IQ of an ant to believe that Cockett said what McFadden is attributing to her and she'd have to have the IQ of a single-celled amoeba to have said it. If Maile had shown himself to be an improvement over GA or even given anyone some good reason to believe he was on par with BA they would have taken him in a heartbeat, especially given the importance of RMs and Polynesians to our program. Frankly (and no pun intended) the team showed zero improvement under Maile. That is not to say that he didn't try and perhaps even made improvements, but it was nothing tangible. Secondly, after watching the video of BA meeting with the team and reflecting on Frank's many public appearances and press interviews, is the question any longer even close as to whether he or BA as the better choice? The answer is no. Cockett and Hartwell made the right hire and it had nothing to do with religion or ethnicity.
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkereksonaggie

jimbo

Post by jimbo » December 13th, 2020, 3:46 pm

I agree, this all seems completely out of character for Cockett, but she is losing the court of public opinion big time on social media which as you know may be enough to force actions. Would any of you be willing to echo these sentiments online outside this forum?

IMO it's all starting to seem like a premeditated hit job on the institution.
These users thanked the author jimbo for the post:
Sl7vk

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 13th, 2020, 5:41 pm

I've thought about this a lot and I think that Cockett's first problem is being too inclusive...

Why does she even take a meeting with a bunch of 20 something's to tell her who she should give this job to? Seems like nothing good comes out of that meeting. Trying to make these guys feel included in a decision that is way above their pay grade looks to be a very naive move.

I recently hired a manager and had one of his would be employees give me an unsolicited recommendation for one of the candidates. After listening to what he had to say, my response was, "thanks for the information." I knew I wasn't going with his recommendation, but I wasn't going to sit and debate with him or give reasons for not going with his recommendation. What possible good can come from that?

Summary: she put herself in an unnecessary terrible position.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Empire of Dirt on December 13th, 2020, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Empire of Dirt for the post (total 2):
MrBiggleUSU78

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 13th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Imagine this scenario:

Players: We think you should hire Frank he would be great for recruiting because he is LDS and Polynesian.

Cockett: We can't hire him because he is LDS and Polynesian.

You or I may naturally assume she means "we can't hire him JUST because he is LDS and Polynesian" but players may hear "we aren't hiring him because he is LDS and Polynesian".

Cockett assumes she has said nothing wrong. Hartwell doesn't think anything of it. Players maybe don't think much of it at the time until they talk about it some more among themselves and someone gets in their ear and here we are.

Add that to the thing with the lineman and the text controversy in the spring and whatever happened with the equipment guy and whatever has been going on all year and you have an atmosphere conducive to skepticism and judging others by their worst intentions.

To be clear, I have no inside info on this and it certainly could be true she said something over the line that deserves a response, but my priors indicate that the players' claim seems unlikely and I need something more than a vague reference to something inappropriate.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
ChowderAggieAngusAg

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » December 13th, 2020, 5:59 pm

I think that is the most plausible. The players brought up being LDS and Polynesian being a reason for Frank to get the job and she didn't agree or support that.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 13th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Intermeddler wrote:Imagine this scenario:

Players: We think you should hire Frank he would be great for recruiting because he is LDS and Polynesian.

You or I may naturally assume she means "we can't hire him JUST because he is LDS and Polynesian" but players may hear "we aren't hiring him because he is LDS and Polynesian".

Cockett assumes she has said nothing wrong. Hartwell doesn't think anything of it. Players maybe don't think much of it at the time until they talk about it some more among themselves and someone gets in their ear and here we are.

Add that to the thing with the lineman and the text controversy in the spring and whatever happened with the equipment guy and whatever has been going on all year and you have an atmosphere conducive to skepticism and judging others by their worst intentions.

To be clear, I have no inside info on this and it certainly could be true she said something over the line that deserves a response, but my priors indicate that the players' claim seems unlikely and I need something more than a vague reference to something inappropriate.
Which goes to my point. Why even have that damn meeting?

These users thanked the author Empire of Dirt for the post (total 2):
IntermeddlerUSU78

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 13th, 2020, 7:31 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 5:41 pm
I've thought about this a lot and I think that Cockett's first problem is being too inclusive...

Why does she even take a meeting with a bunch of 20 something's to tell her who she should give this job to? Seems like nothing good comes out of that meeting. Trying to make these guys feel included in a decision that is way above there pay grade looks to be a very naive move.

I recently hired a manager and had one of his would be employees gave me an unsolicited recommendation for one of the candidates. After listening to what he had to say, my response was, "thanks for the information." I knew I wasn't going with his recommendation, but I wasn't going to sit and debate with him or give reasons for not going with his recommendation. What possible good can come from that?

Summary: she put herself in an unnecessary terrible position.

I believe you are right. She was probably trying to do the right thing and explain why Maile didn't get the job. The players are not part of the hiring process. Should have never had the meeting and if you did obviously the only thing you state is that BA brings 7 years experience running a program and while we love and respect coach Maile we are going with the candidate that has experience leading/sustaining a program. I don't know what was said, but obviously some things were said that were taken by the players as discriminatory or taken out context. Just sad to see the university I love deal with this issue. Looking forward to putting this behind us.

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » December 13th, 2020, 8:08 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 5:53 pm
Imagine this scenario:

IMO, this is the best explanation of what could have happened. Said with two different intonations, you get two completely different meanings. Both sides saying/hearing the same thing, intending/taking away different messages.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 13th, 2020, 11:23 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 10:10 am
“I have two concerns about Frank being the next head coach. First, he’s from the state of Utah , and secondly him being of Mormon Faith."

He doesn't even allege it was because Maile is Polynesian. It's because of all that systematic racism against people who are A.) From the state and B.) belong to the predominant religion of the state that are the victims of systematic racism.

Maybe if the linemen of his era spent more time in class and less time smoking pot in Richards Hall and skipping class- he would have invented a better smear.
Hey, I smoked pot in Richards Hall!
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 2):
ImakeitrainAggieArmy

Hail Aggies!

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 14th, 2020, 6:47 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 11:23 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:

I smoked a pipe there.
That’s were I got my first minor in possession of tobacco. Campus police confiscated my pipe and ran it for thc. Of course it was clean.

3rd floor on the West side. Second door from the right when looking at the building from the South.

I distinctly remember golfing with an old man the summer before heading up to USU in 96. He had happened to go there himself.
“Where are you living” he asked.
“Richards”
“Wow, they haven’t bulldozed it yet?” He responded.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
USU78

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » December 14th, 2020, 8:27 am

USUallyAGGrIvatEd wrote:

When someone says that Arizona is physically closer to Washington D.C. than California is that is technically a true statement. Both are very far from D.C. however.

This former player's statement is uninformed hearsay.
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post (total 2):
AGinNEIowaUSU78

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » December 14th, 2020, 8:47 am

Sl7vk wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 6:47 am
TheAKAggie wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 11:23 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:

I smoked a pipe there.
That’s were I got my first minor in possession of tobacco. Campus police confiscated my pipe and ran it for thc. Of course it was clean.

3rd floor on the West side. Second door from the right when looking at the building from the South.

I distinctly remember golfing with an old man the summer before heading up to USU in 96. He had happened to go there himself.
“Where are you living” he asked.
“Richards”
“Wow, they haven’t bulldozed it yet?” He responded.
I was a few doors down the year before. My roommate smoked pot in our storage room with some friends and they tried blowing the smoke through a TP tube with dryer sheets in it to cover the smell. It probably only made the smell worse. I didn't really care if they wanted to smoke pot wasn't happy they did it where I lived.

When they did it again a few weeks later I was really pissed. When I threw open the door to go downstairs, coming through on the other side were some of the freshman linemen that lived next door. They got out of my rail thin 6'2" 150 lbs. way. That might explain help why we only went 4-7 that season.

And I'm surprised they still have not replaced Richards yet.

Locked Previous topicNext topic