DC?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Re: DC?

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 17th, 2020, 10:15 pm

To summarize, the Miami fans want to get rid of all the defensive assistants including Banda. Some of them would be a little happy about Banda leaving, BUT they would be MORE excited about other assistants leaving than they would about Banda leaving. One goes as far as to say that Banda being the ONLY defensive assistant that leaves would be the most 2020 thing. Some want him to stay cause of his recruiting.

But there is one fan that suspects, and HOPES IT IS NOT TRUE, that Banda knows the DC is getting fired and using our job as leverage for a promotion to DC there. They would like the idea of Banda getting our DC job cause it would point towards him not being who they replace their DC with.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 17th, 2020, 10:45 pm

According to this we're targeting him, but it's not done yet. The fact that 22 told us about this several days ago and it's now being reported by the national guys makes me think it's going to happen. If they're still talking, the talks have got to be getting pretty serious.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources- ... e-defense/
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
aggies22

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

AggieFanNate

Post by AggieFanNate » December 17th, 2020, 11:13 pm

After reading the Miami forum do we want banda? Will he be good enough to make up for Andersons weak defense?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 18th, 2020, 8:36 am

AggieFanNate wrote:After reading the Miami forum do we want banda? Will he be good enough to make up for Andersons weak defense?
Well they do all unanimously agree that Banda is a great recruiter. He signed the top safety in the country this week and then a 4 star safety to boot. Miami fans are still reeling from their blowout loss to UNC last Saturday in which they gave up a record number of yards. Most realize he wasn’t the one calling the game but they seem to want the whole defensive staff replaced. Some admit Banda is probably the most valuable piece for them on that side of the ball though and wonder if Diaz will fire the current DC and promote Banda.

I guess what I took away from their message board is that they question his ability to call a game but no one questions his ability to recruit.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 18th, 2020, 10:07 am

I’m not going to primarily blame safeties for a defense that can’t stop the run.

ususports

Post by ususports » December 18th, 2020, 10:10 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 8:36 am
AggieFanNate wrote:After reading the Miami forum do we want banda? Will he be good enough to make up for Andersons weak defense?
Well they do all unanimously agree that Banda is a great recruiter. He signed the top safety in the country this week and then a 4 star safety to boot. Miami fans are still reeling from their blowout loss to UNC last Saturday in which they gave up a record number of yards. Most realize he wasn’t the one calling the game but they seem to want the whole defensive staff replaced. Some admit Banda is probably the most valuable piece for them on that side of the ball though and wonder if Diaz will fire the current DC and promote Banda.

I guess what I took away from their message board is that they question his ability to call a game but no one questions his ability to recruit.
Who cares if we actually win games. I know when I am at church surrounded by BYU fans, as long as I can brag about how we won recruiting battles, I don’t care if we get the crap beat out of us in the actual game. Recruiting bragging rights is where it’s at.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 18th, 2020, 10:12 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:07 am
I’m not going to primarily blame safeties for a defense that can’t stop the run.
Miami is 56th in the country in pass defense. They are a pretty mediocre defense overall.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 18th, 2020, 10:15 am

ususports wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:10 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Who cares if we actually win games. I know when I am at church surrounded by BYU fans, as long as I can brag about how we won recruiting battles, I don’t care if we get the crap beat out of us in the actual game. Recruiting bragging rights is where it’s at.
Well you have to win recruiting battles to win on the field. Unless your team is full of diamonds in the rough, you aren't going to be doing that well playing with walk ons and players nobody else wanted.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 18th, 2020, 10:25 am

I am not high on Banda. I’d be okay with the hire because of his recruiting chops. But it’s a lot easier to recruit to Miami. Who knows how well that will translate.

I think a base 4-man front is a big recruiting ask at the G5 level.

Can it work? Sure. But it seems like adding an unnecessary layer of difficulty. :noidea:

ususports

Post by ususports » December 18th, 2020, 10:52 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:15 am
ususports wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Well you have to win recruiting battles to win on the field. Unless your team is full of diamonds in the rough, you aren't going to be doing that well playing with walk ons and players nobody else wanted.
First, I was making a joke. However, my joke was based on how much emphasis is put on recruiting while ignoring on field performance. Our defense has always sucked when Frank has been co-DC, yet many have said (before the crap hit the fan) that we needed to keep him on staff in some way because he is such a great recruiter. The same has been said of other coaches. If these so-called “great recruiters” can’t do anything with these “great recruits” they are bringing in, we shouldn’t be so excited about having them on our staff. My joke was not targeting Banda, as no one knows if he can call a game, but I do believe that on field performance should be equally relevant in the evaluation process and not be ignored. :cheers:

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » December 18th, 2020, 10:52 am

ususports wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Well, that's not true. Have you seen the documentary "Little Giants?" Just takes some ingenuity to get a delightful cast of misfits to win a championship.

Aggies All the Way!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 18th, 2020, 11:02 am

ususports wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 10:52 am
ususports wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

First, I was making a joke. However, my joke was based on how much emphasis is put on recruiting while ignoring on field performance. Our defense has always sucked when Frank has been co-DC, yet many have said (before the crap hit the fan) that we needed to keep him on staff in some way because he is such a great recruiter. The same has been said of other coaches. If these so-called “great recruiters” can’t do anything with these “great recruits” they are bringing in, we shouldn’t be so excited about having them on our staff. My joke was not targeting Banda, as no one knows if he can call a game, but I do believe that on field performance should be equally relevant in the evaluation process and not be ignored. :cheers:
Oh I 100% agree. Maile was not a good DC and I don't think was that good of a HC. I'm glad he didn't get the job. And definitely on field performance is the most important thing.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 18th, 2020, 11:03 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
ususports wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Well, that's not true. Have you seen the documentary "Little Giants?" Just takes some ingenuity to get a delightful cast of misfits to win a championship.
And the Mighty Ducks. District 5 was not the most talented team by a longshot, but great coaching by Gordon Bombay won the day and led the group of ragtag cast offs to the championship!

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » December 18th, 2020, 11:06 am

December 18th, 2020, 11:03 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
ususports wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

And the Mighty Ducks. District 5 was not the most talented team by a longshot, but great coaching by Gordon Bombay won the day and led the group of ragtag cast offs to the championship!
The Big Green was another example.

Aggies All the Way!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 18th, 2020, 11:10 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 11:06 am
December 18th, 2020, 11:03 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
ususports wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

The Big Green was another example.
You are right. The great coaching by walter matthau is another in the bad news bears. I take back what I said. There are several examples of undermined teams playing above their heads because of great coaching along with players "finding themselves" along the way.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
dirtnsnow

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » December 18th, 2020, 11:49 am

I'm not ready to say the Banda won't be a good DC. If I remember correctly, when Dave Aranda was hired from Hawaii his defense there wasn't all that impressive. He turned out all pretty good here and we were sad to see him leave. Then he went on to become one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the country.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » December 18th, 2020, 11:56 am

Banda isn't the DC at Miami, so it will be interesting to see what he does if they bring him in. BA has mentioned a 4-2-5 as well as a 3-4 base. And he does want to be an aggressive defense, fly to the ball, cause chaos, etc.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 18th, 2020, 12:02 pm

One of the last things I would use to judge a coach is a fan web site. B.A. will make a good decision. I recall that the USU fan site was concerned with the Aranda hiring years ago, and thought that Josh Heuple was a poor coach.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 18th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Some things to consider:

•Banda is not calling the defensive plays at Miami

•In 2017, Miami ranked 14th in average yards allowed (4.8)
•In 2018, Miami ranked 2nd in average yards allowed (4.3)
•In 2019, Miami ranked 7th in average yards allowed (4.7)
•In 2020 Miami ranked 68th in average yards allowed (5.7)

You can see why Miami fans are pissed. They've had an elite defense for the 3 years prior. They pretty much want everyone on the defensive side of the ball fired, even though they were top 15 for the 3 years prior. Their expectations are HUGE.

•Every starting safety that Banda has coached at Miami made it to the NFL and stuck in the NFL.

•Banda recruited the top safety 2 years in a row at Miami.

•By fans, Banda is almost universally accepted as the best recruiter on the staff. Some posters knocked him for losing to Alabama too often, etc.

•Miami is not an elite school to recruit to as compared with a lot of the other P5 schools.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 18th, 2020, 12:22 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:Some things to consider:

You can see why Miami fans are pissed. They've had an elite defense for the 3 years prior. They pretty much want everyone on the defensive side of the ball fired, even though they were top 15 for the 3 years prior. Their expectations are HUGE.

•Every starting safety that Banda has coached at Miami made it to the NFL and stuck in the NFL.

•By fans, Banda is almost universally accepted as the best recruiter on the staff. Some posters knocked him for losing to Alabama too often, etc.

•Miami is not an elite school to recruit to as compared with a lot of the other P5 schools.
I don’t think your last bullet point is exactly true. They are located in the most talent rich area in the entire country.

But yes, they don’t have the money Alabama or Texas have. But they usually have top 10-15 classes every year and in 2008 had the #1 class. If they ever get the right head coach they would recruit top 5 every year.

It’s nuanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 18th, 2020, 12:28 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 12:22 pm
BLUERUFiO wrote:Some things to consider:

I don’t think your last bullet point is exactly true. They are located in the most talent rich area in the entire country.

But yes, they don’t have the money Alabama or Texas have. But they usually have top 10-15 classes every year and in 2008 had the #1 class. If they ever get the right head coach they would recruit top 5 every year.

It’s nuanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, probably is more nuanced due to location and being in a P5 location. It certainly isn't an Alabama type school, but, it has its perks/benefits.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Locked Previous topicNext topic