Tell Us What Was Said

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgMac

Tell Us What Was Said

Post by AgMac » December 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm

Absolute and complete (I can't express myself without swearing) to throw out allegations of inappropriate religious and cultural statements without saying what those statements are. Tell us what was said, players.

Mountain West Militia
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tell Us What Was Said

Post by Mountain West Militia » December 11th, 2020, 3:49 pm

We'll need the evidence or multiple concurring witnesses.

CastIronAggie

Post by CastIronAggie » December 11th, 2020, 3:52 pm

AgMac wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm
Absolute and complete (I can't express myself without swearing) to throw out allegations of inappropriate religious and cultural statements without saying what those statements are. Tell us what was said, players.
And I don't want to see summaries of what was said. We need quotation marks to be sure it wasn't an innocent statement taken the wrong way.

I don't think the players would lie, but it's pretty easy to misunderstand someone when you are upset.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 11th, 2020, 3:53 pm

CastIronAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:52 pm
AgMac wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm
And I don't want to see summaries of what was said. We need quotation marks to be sure it wasn't an innocent statement taken the wrong way.

I don't think the players would lie, but it's pretty easy to misunderstand someone when you are upset.
With this basket case of a bunch it could be anything. Its interesting that after all the divisions they found something that unites them. An excuse not to play.

Lucky#200

Post by Lucky#200 » December 11th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Two sides to every story. Let the President tell her side on what she said or was trying to say to some very sensitive upset and disappointed players.
These users thanked the author Lucky#200 for the post (total 5):
GeoAgslcaggBustaMcNuttBLUERUFiOJSHarvey

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 11th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Lucky#200 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:06 pm
Two sides to every story. Let the President tell her side on what she said or was trying to say to some very sensitive upset and disappointed players.
This ^^^^
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
slcagg

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » December 11th, 2020, 4:14 pm

Where only sage brush grows

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 11th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Yes, unfortunately that doesn't tell us what was said, only how it was received. To some degree, it won't matter though.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
3rdGenAggie

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » December 11th, 2020, 4:17 pm

GeoAg wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:15 pm
Yes, unfortunately that doesn't tell us what was said, only how it was received. To some degree, it won't matter though.
Right, just sharing what has been put out there by these kids so far.
These users thanked the author MrBiggle for the post:
GeoAg

Where only sage brush grows

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 11th, 2020, 5:07 pm

That's what I keep saying. While I want to know what was said, in this zeitgeist it doesn't actually matter. Until Cockett resigns or is fired she'll be labelled a bigot from this point going forward.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 5:11 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 5:07 pm
That's what I keep saying. While I want to know what was said, in this zeitgeist it doesn't actually matter. Until Cockett resigns or is fired she'll be labelled a bigot from this point going forward.
THis is what pisses me off a lot in today's society. Accusations are thrown out and even if Hartwell/Cockett come out and deny this there is already damage done. If the accusations are true then, I totally support the consequences against Hartwell/Cockett, but until we know the whole story it is just hyperbole.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 4):
3rdGenAggieBustaMcNuttFloridaAggie13vegasaggie

bigskysbro
Has thanked: 0

Post by bigskysbro » December 11th, 2020, 5:54 pm

Here’s my guess. President Cockett to the players: “I appreciate your support for coach Maile. At this time we feel the culture around the team is not what we want here at USU and we feel it would be best to start completely fresh with an outsider instead of someone within Utah state.”

Pissed off players 3 days later:” I think she might have insulted coach Maile’s culture and the the fact he is from Utah and a Mormon.”

Obviously I think all sides should have their voices heard which is why I stated this is just a guess.
These users thanked the author bigskysbro for the post:
JSHarvey

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » December 11th, 2020, 5:57 pm

bigskysbro wrote:Here’s my guess. President Cockett to the players: “I appreciate your support for coach Maile. At this time we feel the culture around the team is not what we want here at USU and we feel it would be best to start completely fresh with an outsider instead of someone within Utah state.”

Pissed off players 3 days later:” I think she might have insulted coach Maile’s culture and the the fact he is from Utah and a Mormon.”

Obviously I think all sides should have their voices heard which is why I stated this is just a guess.
I was going to say almost this exact same thing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

CastIronAggie

Post by CastIronAggie » December 11th, 2020, 5:59 pm

bigskysbro wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 5:54 pm
Here’s my guess. President Cockett to the players: “I appreciate your support for coach Maile. At this time we feel the culture around the team is not what we want here at USU and we feel it would be best to start completely fresh with an outsider instead of someone within Utah state.”

My guess was similar. I'm ready to revise my position if they release an actual allegation, otherwise I'm sticking with USU on this one.

We'll see if they release the quotes before the damage gets worse.
These users thanked the author CastIronAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

USUGrad01

Post by USUGrad01 » December 11th, 2020, 7:02 pm

I would bet that something was said along the lines of, “we can’t hire Coach Maile just because he is LDS and Polynesian”. In other words, even though those two point are true, they aren’t the most important factors in this decision. The players didn’t like the logic, and being super sensitive right now, misinterpreted the statement.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 11th, 2020, 7:07 pm

USUGrad01 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 7:02 pm
I would bet that something was said along the lines of, “we can’t hire Coach Maile just because he is LDS and Polynesian”. In other words, even though those two point are true, they aren’t the most important factors in this decision. The players didn’t like the logic, and being super sensitive right now, misinterpreted the statement.
This wouldn't actually surprise me. It stands to reason the players, in their pitch for Maile, would mention that he is Polynesian and LDS (two of the main cultures on the team). Cockett then responds saying something like you mentioned.

Totally guessing, but since they won't release what was said it's all we have.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
USUGrad01

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 11th, 2020, 7:08 pm

With no recording of the meeting we will probably never know the exact wording of what was said.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78JSHarvey

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 11th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Damn

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

CastIronAggie

Post by CastIronAggie » December 11th, 2020, 7:33 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 7:08 pm
With no recording of the meeting we will probably never know the exact wording of what was said.
I'll worry about whether I believe it later though. Right now I just want to know what the accusation actually is.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » December 11th, 2020, 7:36 pm

I'll tell you exactly what was said: absolutely nothing that justified the snowflakes in their petulant, self-indulgent temper-tantrum because they didn't get to make the head coach hiring decision. This nonsense of anti-mormon and anti-polynesian bigotry is a complete sham and a fig-leaf to camouflage the temper-tantrum of some over-indulged little boys who never figured out how to act like men. Watching these players immolate themselves is proof positive of why we couldn't win a game this season, except against the New Mexico Little Sisters of the Poor.
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post (total 6):
coachgtpUSUGrad01vegasaggieFloridaAggie13USU78PIGSKINAGGIE

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 11th, 2020, 7:37 pm

CastIronAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 7:33 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 7:08 pm
I'll worry about whether I believe it later though. Right now I just want to know what the accusation actually is.
Especially since there were only a handful of "leadership council" players on that zoom call and the majority of the players don't actually know what was said. They were probably just told what were hearing - "Cockett was talking about his religion and culture."
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
JSHarvey

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 7:36 pm
I'll tell you exactly what was said: absolutely nothing that justified the snowflakes in their petulant, self-indulgent temper-tantrum because they didn't get to make the head coach hiring decision. This nonsense of anti-mormon and anti-polynesian bigotry is a complete sham and a fig-leaf to camouflage the temper-tantrum of some over-indulged little boys who never figured out how to act like men. Watching these players immolate themselves is proof positive of why we couldn't win a game this season, except against the New Mexico Little Sisters of the Poor.
How dare you talk about New Mexico like that. They beat Wyoming. That New Mexico win was a really solid when one of the best we've seen (lol)

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » December 12th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Don’t know who/how he heard this...but according to Brennan McFadden, the quote from Cockett was, “I have two concerns about Frank being the next head coach. First, he’s from the state of Utah , and secondly him being of Mormon Faith.”

Living amongst the Zoobs.... :anonymous:

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » December 12th, 2020, 8:44 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 8:37 pm
Don’t know who/how he heard this...but according to Brennan McFadden, the quote from Cockett was, “I have two concerns about Frank being the next head coach. First, he’s from the state of Utah , and secondly him being of Mormon Faith.”
I’ve heard from a different direct source something totally different than that. This is the problem with accusing with no EVIDENCE.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » December 12th, 2020, 8:52 pm

Winning Team wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 8:44 pm
utahcountyaggie wrote:
I’ve heard from a different direct source something totally different than that. This is the problem with accusing with no EVIDENCE.
What did you hear?

Aggies All the Way!

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 12th, 2020, 9:09 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:Don’t know who/how he heard this...but according to Brennan McFadden, the quote from Cockett was, “I have two concerns about Frank being the next head coach. First, he’s from the state of Utah , and secondly him being of Mormon Faith.”
If she did say that I bet she went on to say how it would be advantageous for recruiting players from out of state if the coach weren’t either of those things. Perhaps that may be true, but she should know not to say that to that particular group.

I do like Coach Anderson and the staff he’s putting together but I’m also concerned about their ability to recruit our 3 main pillars of recruiting that has been the only formula that has brought sustained success to USU football in the past.

splintorb

Post by splintorb » December 12th, 2020, 9:12 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 9:09 pm
utahcountyaggie wrote:Don’t know who/how he heard this...but according to Brennan McFadden, the quote from Cockett was, “I have two concerns about Frank being the next head coach. First, he’s from the state of Utah , and secondly him being of Mormon Faith.”
If she did say that I bet she went on to say how it would be advantageous for recruiting players from out of state if the coach weren’t either of those things. Perhaps that may be true, but she should know not to say that to that particular group.

I do like Coach Anderson and the staff he’s putting together but I’m also concerned about their ability to recruit our 3 main pillars of recruiting that has been the only formula that has brought sustained success to USU football in the past.
Man...these 3 pillars...just keep coming. How has our recruiting the past couple years on those pillars looking?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 12th, 2020, 9:14 pm

splintorb wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 9:12 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Man...these 3 pillars...just keep coming. How has our recruiting the past couple years on those pillars looking?
Exactly. The 3 pillars are dead.
Time to build new ones.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
splintorb

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 12th, 2020, 9:15 pm

splintorb wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

People keep saying this, but also say that our players stink, maybe there is a correlation...
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
Sl7vk

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 12th, 2020, 9:16 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
First, I doubt this is what she said.

Second, if she did, I don't find it particularly offensive and I am both from Utah and Mormon. As mentioned above, I'm sure any such statement would have been followed by an explanation of what she means. But again, I doubt these were her words.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
Sl7vk

splintorb

Post by splintorb » December 12th, 2020, 9:17 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 9:15 pm
splintorb wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

People keep saying this, but also say that our players stink, maybe there is a correlation...
My comment was to point out that I think our recruiting as of lately has been quite weak. I’d like to let the new staff develop their own “pillars”. It’s time to move on from Gary, but people on here can’t seem to grasp that idea.

AggieHead

Post by AggieHead » December 12th, 2020, 9:18 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
There is absolutely no way that she said that.
These users thanked the author AggieHead for the post:
Sl7vk

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 12th, 2020, 9:21 pm

I thought 22 said that the last few years have been some of our best recruiting ever. I could be wrong but I thought I remember that somewhere.

Aggie02

Post by Aggie02 » December 12th, 2020, 9:32 pm

I've sat in on meetings with Noelle and on other hiring committees with her and without fail in every meeting she has brought up "how can we incorporate diversity and inclusion." I just have a hard time believing she actually said anything purposefully discrimitory in any way or even something close to it. Seems like an over reaction and an excuse not to play their last game to me because ethey didn't get what they wanted.
These users thanked the author Aggie02 for the post (total 3):
Sl7vkAgMacbluegrouse

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 13th, 2020, 12:03 am

Does anyone know the makeup of the Leadership Council and who was present in the meeting? I’m not looking for names. I’m just wondering if there are Mormons and Polynesians on the council (I’m assuming there are but I don’t know) and if were they present. If so, this story becomes even more difficult to believe than it already is.

If so, I’m supposed to believe that Noelle Cockett got onto a Zoom meeting with students that included Mormons and Polynesians and told them or implied that Maile wouldn’t get the job because he’s Mormon and Polynesian. That just doesn’t sound plausible at all.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
JSHarvey

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic