Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Stucki

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Stucki » December 11th, 2020, 8:37 pm

treesap32 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 8:29 pm
Shaq Bond tweeted a teaser yesterday.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Wasn't his original tweet complaining about discrimination from Tuesday night? While that included no specifics, in hindsight it could have been taken as a clue that something had happened.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » December 11th, 2020, 8:38 pm

USU is 1-5 ad has nothing to gain by playing on a cold Saturday night. If there was a championship at stake here the response wold have been different.

I have no idea of what was Said and will wait till more info is out. Crockett and Hartwell both have great track records, young people are more easily offended than my generation. My guess something was misunderstood..
These users thanked the author Jjoey52 for the post (total 3):
StuckiUSU78cdaAg

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 11th, 2020, 8:50 pm

Stucki wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 8:37 pm
treesap32 wrote:

Wasn't his original tweet complaining about discrimination from Tuesday night? While that included no specifics, in hindsight it could have been taken as a clue that something had happened.
As far as we can tell, Bond's sole gripe then was that the polynesian coach he backed was denied a golden ticket in favor of The Man.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 8:54 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 8:50 pm
Stucki wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

As far as we can tell, Bond's sole gripe then was that the polynesian coach he backed was denied a golden ticket in favor of The Man.
If I remember correctly didn't bond say some not so great things when Shelley was dismissed as well?

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 11th, 2020, 8:58 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 8:54 pm
USU78 wrote:
Stucki wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

If I remember correctly didn't bond say some not so great things when Shelley was dismissed as well?
He certainly did.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 11th, 2020, 9:08 pm

My guess about what happened:

Players: “we love Frank, he really gets us because he is mormon and poly.”
Cockett: “we can’t hire someone just because they are mormon and poly.”
Players: “rarrrr, President Cockett said we aren’t hiring Frank just because he’s mormon and poly!” Burn this mother down!!!”

If that is the case, Cockett did nothing wrong.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 6):
IntermeddlerUSU78utaggies3rdGenAggieAgMacJjoey52

NorCalAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by NorCalAggie » December 11th, 2020, 9:13 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:37 pm
I don't know what was said and I'm reserving judgment until I do. That said...

If you're asking me to believe that Noelle Cockett, who has navigated her career in such a way that she is now a university president (which might be among the most politically correct jobs in existence), and who has no track record of any sort of behavior like this, would get on a call with a group of emotionally charged young men, many of whom are minorities, and say something to the effect of, "We didn't hire this guy because he's a Mormon Polynesian," well...I'm going to need some solid evidence. Maybe that evidence exists, who knows.
100%

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 11th, 2020, 9:58 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:My guess about what happened:

Players: “rarrrr, President Cockett said we aren’t hiring Frank just because he’s mormon and poly!” Burn this mother down!!!”

Yeah, absolutely nothing wrong with that if that’s how it went down. I’m not a fan of people jumping down Hartwell and Cockett’s throats. Also not a fan of some calling the players liars with absolute certainty. None of us know what was said yet.

Of course players should have zero say in who the next head coach is and this was handled wrong from the beginning it seems.

Really an embarrassing year for Utah State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by BleedAggieBlue0 on December 11th, 2020, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 10:03 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 9:58 pm

Yeah,absolutely nothing wrong with that if that’s how it went down. I’m not a fan of people jumping down Hartwell and Crockett’s throats. Also not a fan of some calling the players liars with absolute certainty. None of us know what was said yet.

Of course players should have zero say in who the next head coach is and this was handled wrong from the beginning it seems.

It has been embarrassing. As a proud alum of USU and lover of aggie athletics, please someone give me confidence it won't get worse than this.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 11th, 2020, 10:05 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

Yeah,absolutely nothing wrong with that if that’s how it went down. I’m not a fan of people jumping down Hartwell and Crockett’s throats. Also not a fan of some calling the players liars with absolute certainty. None of us know what was said yet.

I think this is what happened, but President Cockett can't say that. You just can't. We all see why. The response has to be...

"We love Frank too and hope he is willing and able to stay in some capacity"

That's it.

It is a shame that, IMO, a statement saying that you can't take certain things into account has been misunderstood to mean certain things were considered in a negative light.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
USU78BLUERUFiO

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

FastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by FastAggie » December 11th, 2020, 10:27 pm

Well the USU president saying something like this would be hard to believe and completely idiotic. A call with all the players explaining why you didn’t hire their current coach also sounds incredibly idiotic, so maybe it is true. If so she should be gone on Monday.
Last edited by FastAggie on December 11th, 2020, 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 11th, 2020, 10:32 pm

GeoAg wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

I think this is what happened, but President Cockett can't say that. You just can't. We all see why. The response has to be...

"We love Frank too and hope he is willing and able to stay in some capacity"

That's it.

It is a shame that, IMO, a statement saying that you can't take certain things into account has been misunderstood to mean certain things were considered in a negative light.
I think it is definitely most logical to assume that is what happened. Of course, still an assumption. I’m disappointed that people on this board have decided that it is fact and made judgments on the players because of it. None of us know.

I will add that I am in a very close friend group with a few people who work directly with Cockett- I do find it hard to believe she said anything as idiotic as the players’ statement would lead you to believe.

Love your next comment. Was just having that conversation with a friend- In what world is this how a reference is supposed to go? Cockett and Hartwell should have never even shared their opinion about Frank with the team. You take notes, tell them you’ll appreciate their input and will take it into consideration- but of course you (players) understand we are considering other candidates as well.
Complete amateur hour.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » December 11th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 10:03 pm
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

It has been embarrassing. As a proud alum of USU and lover of aggie athletics, please someone give me confidence it won't get worse than this.
It certainly can. I don't know if it will, but there's some stuff in some closets that looks bad.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 11th, 2020, 10:35 pm

FastAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 10:27 pm
Well the USU president saying something like this would be hard to believe and completely idiotic if true, but thinking a call with all the players explaining why you didn’t hire their current coach was a good idea also sounds incredibly idiotic, so maybe both are true. If it is she should be gone on Monday.
I don’t think she was on a call with ALL the players. Wasn’t she on a call with just the team leadership? If so, that doesn’t seem unreasonable at all.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 11th, 2020, 10:36 pm

Slim80 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 10:35 pm
FastAggie wrote:
Well the USU president saying something like this would be hard to believe and completely idiotic if true, but thinking a call with all the players explaining why you didn’t hire their current coach was a good idea also sounds incredibly idiotic, so maybe both are true. If it is she should be gone on Monday.
I don’t think she was on a call with ALL the players. Wasn’t she on a call with just the team leadership? If so, that doesn’t seem unreasonable at all.
Correct. A call that the players leadership council asked for so they could lobby for Frank.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » December 11th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Ahbye wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

It certainly can. I don't know if it will, but there's some stuff in some closets that looks bad.
This is true and worries me more than the alleged Cockett comments.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 11th, 2020, 10:39 pm

AgMac wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 10:36 pm
Slim80 wrote:
FastAggie wrote:
Correct. A call that the players leadership council asked for so they could lobby for Frank.
I think your timeline might be off a little. The players didn’t know that Frank wasn’t getting the job at the time of the meeting. I think the intention was to try and lobby for him to get the job. At this point I’m pretty sure the president and Hartwell knew he wasn’t but not the players.

Edit: I’m fairly certain that BA had accepted the job at this point but Frank did not know he wasn’t being hired.
Last edited by Elkaggie on December 11th, 2020, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 11th, 2020, 10:41 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Ahbye wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

(I can't express myself without swearing)!! What in the hell has happened up there!

stang

Post by stang » December 11th, 2020, 10:42 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 10:39 pm
AgMac wrote:
Slim80 wrote:
FastAggie wrote:
I think your timeline might be off a little. The players didn’t know that Frank wasn’t getting the job at the time of the meeting. I think the intention was to try and lobby for him to get the job. At this point I’m pretty sure the president and Hartwell knew he wasn’t but not the players.
I have no idea about who was involved or what was said in the meeting, but I do know Frank has known he won't be brought back as HC since before Tuesday, and I can only imagine the players knew or at least had a pretty good assumption as well.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 10:44 pm

Ahbye wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 10:34 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

What are those things in the closet?

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 11th, 2020, 10:47 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Ahbye wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

For hell’s sake, I can’t take another round of innuendo and hide and seek and wondering when the other shoe is about to drop. If there is bad stuff being covered up, it’s time to rip the bandaid off and be done with it.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 11th, 2020, 10:47 pm

stang wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 10:42 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
AgMac wrote:
Slim80 wrote:
FastAggie wrote:
I have no idea about who was involved or what was said in the meeting, but I do know Frank has known he won't be brought back as HC since before Tuesday, and I can only imagine the players knew or at least had a pretty good assumption as well.
Why would the players have known? Did Frank tell them?

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 11th, 2020, 10:48 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
AgMac wrote:
Slim80 wrote:
FastAggie wrote:

Edit: I’m fairly certain that BA had accepted the job at this point but Frank did not know he wasn’t being hired.
That's literally exactly what I've said.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 11th, 2020, 10:50 pm

Sorry Agmac not you I was referring to fastaggie
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
AgMac

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 11th, 2020, 11:07 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 8:58 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Stucki wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

He certainly did.
Bond was also critical of Gary's firing, despite Gary being directly responsible for how some of the previous incidents cited by the players were handled.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
USU78

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 11th, 2020, 11:16 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 10:34 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

What are those things in the closet?
If people are afraid of bad stuff getting out of the closet, they aren’t going to post it in the message board.

Chod

Post by Chod » December 11th, 2020, 11:20 pm

I believe the players. There may have been miscommunication on the call, but I believe the players believe in what they are standing up for. I don't get the feeling this is in protest to Frank not getting the job. Instead, they think there is a real bias in the way the decision was made and they don't want to play for a program that will disqualify someone because of their religion and race. Just because you look up to NC or JH and think they walk on water doesn't mean it doesn't exist... you just haven't been around long enough to see this garbage in all sorts of people that you once idolized. The only way to fix a problem is to identify it, not to hide it.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 11th, 2020, 11:25 pm

Chod wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 11:20 pm
I believe the players. There may have been miscommunication on the call, but I believe the players believe in what they are standing up for. I don't get the feeling this is in protest to Frank not getting the job. Instead, they think there is a real bias in the way the decision was made and they don't want to play for a program that will disqualify someone because of their religion and race. Just because you look up to NC or JH and think they walk on water doesn't mean it doesn't exist... you just haven't been around long enough to see this garbage in all sorts of people that you once idolized. The only way to fix a problem is to identify it, not to hide it.
What exactly do you believe? Because they haven't disclosed what she allegedly said.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
USU78

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 12th, 2020, 12:08 am

Chod wrote:
You are correct. They are not protesting the new coach hire. They are protesting the way they feel about the call and apparently another situation from last year.

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

cbingham

Post by cbingham » December 12th, 2020, 12:12 am

I find it fascinating that what seem to be the majority of fans of a football team are so quick to side against a team in this scenario. I agree that the information is still foggy but I’m interested to see how many of you side immediately with the establishment leadership and against the players that you cheer for, going so far as to make personal comments. I’m curious whether then makeup of football teams and BLM are driving the numbers to skew against the team with so many?

Additionally, I’d hope that a University President would be smarter than to make these alleged inappropriate comments but I’ve also heard Fortune 100 CEOs make comments that are even less appropriate so I’d never bet against it.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 12th, 2020, 12:29 am

cbingham wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 12:12 am
I find it fascinating that what seem to be the majority of fans of a football team are so quick to side against a team in this scenario. I agree that the information is still foggy but I’m interested to see how many of you side immediately with the establishment leadership and against the players that you cheer for, going so far as to make personal comments. I’m curious whether then makeup of football teams and BLM are driving the numbers to skew against the team with so many?

Additionally, I’d hope that a University President would be smarter than to make these alleged inappropriate comments but I’ve also heard Fortune 100 CEOs make comments that are even less appropriate so I’d never bet against it.
No need for fascination. There are logical reasons that fans aren't backing the players.

1- They haven't disclosed what Cockett purportedly said. There is no leeway here. You can't accuse someone of discrimination, refuse to disclose what was said, and expect people to support you. To demand otherwise is preposterous.

2- The "other incidents" that have been cited happened on Gary's watch and he presumably was the one to address them. Yet, there was no boycotting under Gary. Instead, there was criticism of the administration when he was fired. Oh, and by the way, guess who else was in leadership during these other incidents. A guy named Frank Maile.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » December 12th, 2020, 12:33 am

Chod wrote:
Nobody here “worships“ either of them. I think most are like me and don’t really care who holds those positions as long as they represent USU as they should. Now we are seeing these allegations and we all want to get to the bottom of it. You are exactly right don’t hide the problem, show the evidence!
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
AgMac

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » December 12th, 2020, 12:37 am

cbingham wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 12:12 am

It also doesn't make any sense. I could see if it was a different race or religion but the 2 in question aren't logical within USU. Also Frank has been given the reigns twice which wouldn't have been done if they had a strong bias.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 12th, 2020, 12:52 am

AgMac wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 11:07 pm
USU78 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Stucki wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

He certainly did.
Bond was also critical of Gary's firing, despite Gary being directly responsible for how some of the previous incidents cited by the players were handled.
As for one of those-

I thought Equipment was a shared service provider for all of athletics. (although football certainly would be where the bulk of the energy goes).

That's not to say that the account is used in good faith- or that Gary couldnt have done more.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 12th, 2020, 1:07 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 12:52 am
AgMac wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 11:07 pm
USU78 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
USU78 wrote:
Stucki wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

He certainly did.
As for one of those-

I thought Equipment was a shared service provider for all of athletics. (although football certainly would be where the bulk of the energy goes).

That's not to say that the account is used in good faith- or that Gary couldnt have done more.
Honest question. Regardless of any formal structuring, if an equipment manager called one of Gary's players the N word, do you think Gary couldn't have him fired?

Locked Previous topicNext topic