Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hickaggie
Posts: 3303
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 274 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by hickaggie » December 11th, 2020, 4:51 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:46 pm
hickaggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:41 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:38 pm
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:08 pm
SLB wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:05 pm
I would reserve judgement, and I have a hard time believing football players not wanting to play unless something seriously is wrong.
I GUARANTEE they weren’t looking for a reason not to play
This 100000000 times. If you have ever looked for a reason to not play a game. You really shouldn't be in or around sports. You are doing it for the wrong reasons and you are going to get yourself or a teammate, or kid ( if you are a coach) hurt.
I cant imagine anything that would make me feel like I need a excuse not to play.

If fact I bet it was the opposite. This was a damn hard decision to make, but right is right and wrong is wrong. I bet there were tear and broken hearts over this. As there should have been. No way that was a easy decison much less a way out.
Then why would you choose this route as your form of protest. It only harms themselves, Maile, and a conference mate. They didn't think this through at all. They needed to make the comments public exactly how they were expressed and do their protesting and whatever social justice canceling is done these days in a normal fashion. YOU DON'T REFUSE TO PLAY A FOOTBALL GAME. THATS INSANE.
The fact they did vote to not play should tell you just how bad it was. Think about it .. A entire team. I spent 30 years in and round team sports. There would always be a few guys who would say. " who cares lets just play" to something like that.... ALWAYS.... but there isn't. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM FELT THE NEED TO SIT OUT.. ALL OF THEM.... that speaks volumes to me.
I still don't get how that was a rational option on the table. But if it was they needed to do it Tuesday and they needed to report exactly what was said and the context that it was said. There is nothing that can be said by anyone that warrants not playing the game you love. The solution lies in a myriad of options. If it was bad enough for what they have done, the mere subtantiated report would have Cockett fired by now so the refusal to make the exact allegations public while taking such an insane action is what speaks volumes to me.



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2603
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 314 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by newhouse9 » December 11th, 2020, 4:52 pm

ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:43 pm
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:41 pm
ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm
WOW!!! I mean I knew your program was a dumpster fire but good hell this is bad....
Administration being accused of racial and religious bias, really not good.
Tell me again how USU is such a superior program to Weber State....
Im betting Jay Hill is saying prayers of thanks that he didnt get that job
Go away, this is not your time
After sitting back and reading all the comments on how superior USU supposedly is, well you have to expect WSU and BYU fans to pile on. At least my team isnt in the national media for all the wrong reasons.
We only expect it because we know who you are. Worthless.



User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 7384
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 322 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by GeoAg » December 11th, 2020, 4:52 pm

The Tribune report said that 3/4 of the players opted not to play.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
AggieFBObsession


"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG
Posts: 541
Joined: December 17th, 2013, 8:17 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by tipitup » December 11th, 2020, 4:53 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:51 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:46 pm
hickaggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:41 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:38 pm
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:08 pm
SLB wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:05 pm
I would reserve judgement, and I have a hard time believing football players not wanting to play unless something seriously is wrong.
I GUARANTEE they weren’t looking for a reason not to play
This 100000000 times. If you have ever looked for a reason to not play a game. You really shouldn't be in or around sports. You are doing it for the wrong reasons and you are going to get yourself or a teammate, or kid ( if you are a coach) hurt.
I cant imagine anything that would make me feel like I need a excuse not to play.

If fact I bet it was the opposite. This was a damn hard decision to make, but right is right and wrong is wrong. I bet there were tear and broken hearts over this. As there should have been. No way that was a easy decison much less a way out.
Then why would you choose this route as your form of protest. It only harms themselves, Maile, and a conference mate. They didn't think this through at all. They needed to make the comments public exactly how they were expressed and do their protesting and whatever social justice canceling is done these days in a normal fashion. YOU DON'T REFUSE TO PLAY A FOOTBALL GAME. THATS INSANE.
The fact they did vote to not play should tell you just how bad it was. Think about it .. A entire team. I spent 30 years in and round team sports. There would always be a few guys who would say. " who cares lets just play" to something like that.... ALWAYS.... but there isn't. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM FELT THE NEED TO SIT OUT.. ALL OF THEM.... that speaks volumes to me.
I still don't get how that was a rational option on the table. But if it was they needed to do it Tuesday and they needed to report exactly what was said and the context that it was said. There is nothing that can be said by anyone that warrants not playing the game you love. The solution lies in a myriad of options. If it was bad enough for what they have done, the mere subtantiated report would have Cockett fired by now so the refusal to make the exact allegations public while taking such an insane action is what speaks volumes to me.
i think the rational of this option is that covid put sittin out a game on the table. Also, my thoughts, if they all don't have the option to come back next year this decision doesn't happen.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3613
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1265 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 4:56 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:51 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:46 pm
hickaggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:41 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:38 pm
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:08 pm
SLB wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:05 pm
I would reserve judgement, and I have a hard time believing football players not wanting to play unless something seriously is wrong.
I GUARANTEE they weren’t looking for a reason not to play
This 100000000 times. If you have ever looked for a reason to not play a game. You really shouldn't be in or around sports. You are doing it for the wrong reasons and you are going to get yourself or a teammate, or kid ( if you are a coach) hurt.
I cant imagine anything that would make me feel like I need a excuse not to play.

If fact I bet it was the opposite. This was a damn hard decision to make, but right is right and wrong is wrong. I bet there were tear and broken hearts over this. As there should have been. No way that was a easy decison much less a way out.
Then why would you choose this route as your form of protest. It only harms themselves, Maile, and a conference mate. They didn't think this through at all. They needed to make the comments public exactly how they were expressed and do their protesting and whatever social justice canceling is done these days in a normal fashion. YOU DON'T REFUSE TO PLAY A FOOTBALL GAME. THATS INSANE.
The fact they did vote to not play should tell you just how bad it was. Think about it .. A entire team. I spent 30 years in and round team sports. There would always be a few guys who would say. " who cares lets just play" to something like that.... ALWAYS.... but there isn't. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM FELT THE NEED TO SIT OUT.. ALL OF THEM.... that speaks volumes to me.
I still don't get how that was a rational option on the table. But if it was they needed to do it Tuesday and they needed to report exactly what was said and the context that it was said. There is nothing that can be said by anyone that warrants not playing the game you love. The solution lies in a myriad of options. If it was bad enough for what they have done, the mere subtantiated report would have Cockett fired by now so the refusal to make the exact allegations public while taking such an insane action is what speaks volumes to me.
That is the part I have a hard time understanding. If the meeting was on Tuesday and these things are true but we didn't hear anything until Friday that just seems outrageous to me. Especially in the days of social media, you can have somebody fired within a couple of hours why would we have waited 3 days if these accusations were true.



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 7279
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 918 times
Been thanked: 401 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 11th, 2020, 4:58 pm

GeoAg wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:52 pm
The Tribune report said that 3/4 of the players opted not to play.
So, we can get their voting tallies, but not what was said. Thanks Trib.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

taniataylor
Posts: 2119
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has thanked: 253 times
Been thanked: 1339 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by taniataylor » December 11th, 2020, 4:59 pm

I just wanted to see me baby play one more game with a QB that will throw the ball....mehhhh
Last edited by taniataylor on December 11th, 2020, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 12):
3rdGenAggieMWCFAN12CastIronAggieGeoAgCodingAggieBlueAGinNEIowaKrakenbluegrousesl7hkBLUERUFiO and 2 more users


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Aggie84025
Posts: 3613
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1265 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 5:00 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:58 pm
GeoAg wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:52 pm
The Tribune report said that 3/4 of the players opted not to play.
So, we can get their voting tallies, but not what was said. Thanks Trib.
All the news stations just eat this type of stuff up. They don't wait until all the facts are out they just start putting out one side of the story.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieCastIronAggie



Aggie84025
Posts: 3613
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1265 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 5:04 pm

I know we are not always going to win all of our games. That being said for us to just quit and not play our last game is an embarrassment.



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2603
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 314 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by newhouse9 » December 11th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 5:00 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:58 pm
GeoAg wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:52 pm
The Tribune report said that 3/4 of the players opted not to play.
So, we can get their voting tallies, but not what was said. Thanks Trib.
All the news stations just eat this type of stuff up. They don't wait until all the facts are out they just start putting out one side of the story.
Most often, they just make stuff up. I really want to hear both sides. They boys have, and have had, serious concerns.
Last edited by newhouse9 on December 11th, 2020, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.



BigBlueBlood
Posts: 102
Joined: January 4th, 2013, 12:30 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by BigBlueBlood » December 11th, 2020, 5:07 pm

ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:43 pm
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:41 pm
ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm
WOW!!! I mean I knew your program was a dumpster fire but good hell this is bad....
Administration being accused of racial and religious bias, really not good.
Tell me again how USU is such a superior program to Weber State....
Im betting Jay Hill is saying prayers of thanks that he didnt get that job
Go away, this is not your time
After sitting back and reading all the comments on how superior USU supposedly is, well you have to expect WSU and BYU fans to pile on. At least my team isnt in the national media for all the wrong reasons.
Huh? All the comments of superiority? There might be some, but aren't you overstating it just a bit? Maybe in some ways it si "superior" and you just don't like it. Bovee left for USU and apparently Jay Hill was interested, too. Accordingly, there are a lot of programs "superior" to USU, and there are programs to which WSU is "superior." Relax. This can happen anywhere, especially in today's climate. Be careful when you start throwing rocks.
These users thanked the author BigBlueBlood for the post:
splintorb



BigBlueAggie
Posts: 228
Joined: November 20th, 2010, 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by BigBlueAggie » December 11th, 2020, 5:14 pm

The "All of them" comes from the original story:

"About three-fourths of the team that responded by Thursday mentioned they were concerned about the religious bias against Maile by Cockett. The players said they don’t believe the Zoom call was recorded.

None of the players were aware of each other’s answers and responded individually.

On Friday morning, in a players-only meeting that lasted more than an hour, the players unanimously voted to not play the season finale because of these issues. The coaching staff was not aware of the players’ meeting until after its conclusion. The Aggies finished the year 1-5."



User avatar
TheWoodshed
Posts: 262
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:19 am
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by TheWoodshed » December 11th, 2020, 5:15 pm

"On Friday morning, in a players-only meeting that lasted more than an hour, the players unanimously voted to not play the season finale because of these issues."

https://watchstadium.com/utah-state-pla ... ssion=true

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk




stang
Posts: 834
Joined: January 25th, 2018, 5:08 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by stang » December 11th, 2020, 6:07 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 5:06 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 5:00 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:58 pm
GeoAg wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:52 pm
The Tribune report said that 3/4 of the players opted not to play.
So, we can get their voting tallies, but not what was said. Thanks Trib.
All the news stations just eat this type of stuff up. They don't wait until all the facts are out they just start putting out one side of the story.
Most often, they just makes stuff up. I really want to hear both sides. They boys have, and have had, serious concerns.
I promise you it's not because the Trib didn't reach out to USU to get their side. This is just how news reporting works. One side gives them information, they report what they have, and wait for the other side to comment. If they waited for Utah State to get back to them and "explain their side" before publishing anything, we'd be sitting here freaking out that the team is still in Utah and nobody is reporting about why.

Nothing they reported was reported as absolute fact. It was reported as being what they were told by one side. That doesn't make it biased reporting.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
AggieFBObsession



BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl
Posts: 2654
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 10:18 pm
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 11th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:51 pm
AggiePT wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
Would it be too much to ask for a copy and paste of the actual statement?
From yahoo...
The Utah State football players have decided to opt out of our game against Colorado State due to ongoing inequality and prejudicial issues between the players, coaches, and the USU administration.

“On Tuesday, December 8th, the Utah State University Football Leadership Council held a zoom meeting with Noelle Cockett, President of USU, and John Hartwell, the Athletic Director. The purpose of the meeting was to have a say in the search for our new head coach. During the meeting, we voiced our support for Interim Head Coach Frank Maile. In response to our comments, their primary concern was his religious and cultural background. Players, stating their diverse faiths and backgrounds, then jumped to Coach Frank Maile’s defense in treating everyone with love, equality, and fairness.

“It is not the first time issues of repeated discrimination have happened. In December 2019, our head equipment manager used a racial slur against one of our African-American teammates. After disregarding the incident, pressure resurfaced to investigate in the summer of 2020. After the investigation, the administration concluded he would continue to be employed.

“We want our message to be clear that this has nothing to do with the hiring of Coach Blake Anderson, the recently-named head coach of the program. We are sure he is an excellent coach; we look forward to meeting him and his staff. We are highlighting the ongoing problems of inequality and want to create a better future for the community of Logan and Utah State University.”
I guess my concern is they said the meeting was on December 8th which was Tuesday it is now Friday and we are barely getting any of this out. Wouldn't they have brought this out immediately.
So I take it you didn’t read the statement? Player poll was taken, player meeting had to be organized. 100+ people cannot instantly get a consensus opinion and cannot possibly instantly organize a team meeting about that opinion and poll.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2683 times
Been thanked: 815 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by USU78 » December 11th, 2020, 6:21 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:51 pm
AggiePT wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
Would it be too much to ask for a copy and paste of the actual statement?
From yahoo...
The Utah State football players have decided to opt out of our game against Colorado State due to ongoing inequality and prejudicial issues between the players, coaches, and the USU administration.

“On Tuesday, December 8th, the Utah State University Football Leadership Council held a zoom meeting with Noelle Cockett, President of USU, and John Hartwell, the Athletic Director. The purpose of the meeting was to have a say in the search for our new head coach. During the meeting, we voiced our support for Interim Head Coach Frank Maile. In response to our comments, their primary concern was his religious and cultural background. Players, stating their diverse faiths and backgrounds, then jumped to Coach Frank Maile’s defense in treating everyone with love, equality, and fairness.

“It is not the first time issues of repeated discrimination have happened. In December 2019, our head equipment manager used a racial slur against one of our African-American teammates. After disregarding the incident, pressure resurfaced to investigate in the summer of 2020. After the investigation, the administration concluded he would continue to be employed.

“We want our message to be clear that this has nothing to do with the hiring of Coach Blake Anderson, the recently-named head coach of the program. We are sure he is an excellent coach; we look forward to meeting him and his staff. We are highlighting the ongoing problems of inequality and want to create a better future for the community of Logan and Utah State University.”
I guess my concern is they said the meeting was on December 8th which was Tuesday it is now Friday and we are barely getting any of this out. Wouldn't they have brought this out immediately.
So I take it you didn’t read the statement? Player poll was taken, player meeting had to be organized. 100+ people cannot instantly get a consensus opinion and cannot possibly instantly organize a team meeting about that opinion and poll.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You left out the "Did you hear what I heard?" part of the report. Testimony tainted.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
MrBiggle


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 7279
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 918 times
Been thanked: 401 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 11th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Exactly. I expect a large percentage of the votes were of the "I didn't hear it, but I'm not going to go against my teammate" variety.

I sure wish we knew what Cockett was purported to have said.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
Aglicious


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2603
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 314 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by newhouse9 » December 11th, 2020, 6:26 pm

stang wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 6:07 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 5:06 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 5:00 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:58 pm
GeoAg wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:52 pm
The Tribune report said that 3/4 of the players opted not to play.
So, we can get their voting tallies, but not what was said. Thanks Trib.
All the news stations just eat this type of stuff up. They don't wait until all the facts are out they just start putting out one side of the story.
Most often, they just makes stuff up. I really want to hear both sides. They boys have, and have had, serious concerns.
I promise you it's not because the Trib didn't reach out to USU to get their side. This is just how news reporting works. One side gives them information, they report what they have, and wait for the other side to comment. If they waited for Utah State to get back to them and "explain their side" before publishing anything, we'd be sitting here freaking out that the team is still in Utah and nobody is reporting about why.

Nothing they reported was reported as absolute fact. It was reported as being what they were told by one side. That doesn't make it biased reporting.
Understood.



USUGrad01
Posts: 53
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:00 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by USUGrad01 » December 11th, 2020, 6:36 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Exactly. I expect a large percentage of the votes were of the "I didn't hear it, but I'm not going to go against my teammate" variety.

I sure wish we knew what Cockett was purported to have said.
I would bet that something was said along the lines of, “we can’t just hire Coach Maile because he is LDS and Polynesian”. In other words, even though those two point are true, they aren’t the most important factors in this decision. The players didn’t like the logic, and being super sensitive right now, misinterpreted the statement.
These users thanked the author USUGrad01 for the post:
LarryTheAggie



SLB
Posts: 5307
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 271 times
Been thanked: 594 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by SLB » December 11th, 2020, 6:47 pm




JonnyCienPesos
Posts: 2518
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 6:21 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 352 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by JonnyCienPesos » December 11th, 2020, 6:48 pm

ajwildcat wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:41 pm
ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm
WOW!!! I mean I knew your program was a dumpster fire but good hell this is bad....
Administration being accused of racial and religious bias, really not good.
Tell me again how USU is such a superior program to Weber State....
Im betting Jay Hill is saying prayers of thanks that he didnt get that job
Go away, this is not your time
After sitting back and reading all the comments on how superior USU supposedly is, well you have to expect WSU and BYU fans to pile on. At least my team isnt in the national media for all the wrong reasons.
Your AD quit to be our associate AD.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
3rdGenAggie


I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

bwcrc
Posts: 211
Joined: November 7th, 2013, 12:24 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by bwcrc » December 11th, 2020, 6:51 pm

As an attorney I am naturally skeptical of most things reported by the media, since most every story has at least three sides - each side has its version and the truth is usually somewhere in-between - and the media usually only publishes the side that will drive the most clicks and eyeballs.

However, I cannot believe the claims that a university president would blatantly comment that she was engaging in illegal employment discrimination based on someone's religion and race. Especially when it was allegedly sat on for three days before any word about it was leaked. Some player would have said something about it to a friend, roommate, parent, sibling, spouse, etc. before today and it would have hit social media.

It will take irrefutable evidence for me to believe otherwise in this situation. But as many have commented, the damage occurring from the mere allegation is done and will be lasting, even if all the evidence shows no such comment was even remotely made.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post (total 6):
aggietimeUSU78Intermeddlerutaggiesaggieguy13918AGG



Intermeddler
Posts: 2258
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 327 times
Been thanked: 349 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Intermeddler » December 11th, 2020, 6:55 pm

bwcrc wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 6:51 pm
As an attorney I am naturally skeptical of most things reported by the media, since most every story has at least three sides - each side has its version and the truth is usually somewhere in-between - and the media usually only publishes the side that will drive the most clicks and eyeballs.

However, I cannot believe the claims that a university president would blatantly comment that she was engaging in illegal employment discrimination based on someone's religion and race. Especially when it was allegedly sat on for three days before any word about it was leaked. Some player would have said something about it to a friend, roommate, parent, sibling, spouse, etc. before today and it would have hit social media.

It will take irrefutable evidence for me to believe otherwise in this situation. But as many have commented, the damage occurring from the mere allegation is done and will be lasting, even if all the evidence shows no such comment was even remotely made.
This is where I fall. I am not an employment attorney, but we have a large employment group at my firm, and there are certainly times where someone in such a position does say something just that dumb, but it would stun me if it were true here. She really told 100 people in a public forum we didn't hire someone because he is a LDS Polynesian? And it didn't hit twitter 50 times in the next 10 minutes? And no other university official on the call stepped in?

I am certainly willing to entertain she said something just that egregious because it does happen from time to time, but I am skeptical without something more than an oddly well-crafted statement compared to what players usually put out when they make some sort of announcement.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
USU78bwcrc



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2683 times
Been thanked: 815 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by USU78 » December 11th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Three for three


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 756
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 184 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 11th, 2020, 7:06 pm

taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:59 pm
I just wanted to see me baby play one more game with a QB that will throw the ball....mehhhh
So am I correct in assuming he was amongst the 1/4 who voted to play? If so, props to him!



BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl
Posts: 2654
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 10:18 pm
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 11th, 2020, 7:10 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:59 pm
I just wanted to see me baby play one more game with a QB that will throw the ball....mehhhh
So am I correct in assuming he was amongst the 1/4 who voted to play? If so, props to him!
The vote to not play was reportedly unanimous.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Smokin Joe
Posts: 3650
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 144 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Smokin Joe » December 11th, 2020, 7:49 pm

Let's call this what it actually is: a group of immature (and frankly, stupid) prima donna football players with a pathetic won-loss record somehow got it into their heads that the world revolves around them and concomitantly that somehow it is de rigueur for the University president and AD not merely to consult them on who the University should hire to coach them, but to actually give them veto power over the decision! It is the quintessence of nonsense to believe these kids care so deeply about Mormons (or Polynesians for that matter) that a remark that might be creatively construed as religiously or culturally insensitive offended them so deeply that they had no choice but to make a stand against religious and cultural bigotry and this no less on behalf of a culture dominated by Mormons and to a lesser degree Polynesians! That is utter nonsense. In fact and in truth, these "players" (I use the term guardedly) actually care so little about cultural and religious bigotry that they are willing to hijack it for the illegitimate purpose of camouflaging their own narcissism and justifying their temper tantrum over not being permitted to dictate who their coach is. No wonder this "team" got blown out in damn near every game they played this season! The reason is now irrefutably evident and it has little if anything to do with coaching and everything to do with character. Is there an actual man among them? Can someone please arrange to send these children masquerading as post-pubescent footballers back to junior high school and a second chance at growing up?
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post (total 4):
Ahbyesdiggetyutaggies918AGG



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 15119
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has thanked: 314 times
Been thanked: 722 times
Contact:

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by treesap32 » December 11th, 2020, 7:49 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:59 pm
I just wanted to see me baby play one more game with a QB that will throw the ball....mehhhh
So am I correct in assuming he was amongst the 1/4 who voted to play? If so, props to him!
The vote to not play was reportedly unanimous.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was what was reported, but that's not what happened according to players.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk




BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl
Posts: 2654
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 10:18 pm
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 11th, 2020, 7:51 pm

treesap32 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:59 pm
I just wanted to see me baby play one more game with a QB that will throw the ball....mehhhh
So am I correct in assuming he was amongst the 1/4 who voted to play? If so, props to him!
The vote to not play was reportedly unanimous.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was what was reported, but that's not what happened according to players.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Oh I guess I missed that? I saw that the poll that was 75% was regarding who was concerned about the comments made. And the decision to not play was unanimous- just what I read tho.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 2706
Joined: August 30th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Location: Smithfield
Has thanked: 1896 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 11th, 2020, 7:52 pm

"I am devastated that my comments were interpreted as bias against anyone's religious background," Cockett said in a statement. "Throughout my professional career and, especially, as president of USU, I have welcomed the opportunity to meet directly and often with students about their experiences. Regardless of how difficult the conversations might be in the coming days, I remain committed to giving our students a voice."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... e-crockett

Predictably, we’re one of the top ESPN headlines... =\


GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 15119
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has thanked: 314 times
Been thanked: 722 times
Contact:

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by treesap32 » December 11th, 2020, 7:53 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:59 pm
I just wanted to see me baby play one more game with a QB that will throw the ball....mehhhh
So am I correct in assuming he was amongst the 1/4 who voted to play? If so, props to him!
The vote to not play was reportedly unanimous.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was what was reported, but that's not what happened according to players.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Oh I guess I missed that? I saw that the poll that was 75% was regarding who was concerned about the comments made. And the decision to not play was unanimous- just what I read tho.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, that's what the media reported. Parents of players in this very thread indicated that some players wanted to play.

I'm guessing that the majority ruled. They shouldn't have reported it as "unanimous" if it wasn't unanimous though.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk




sdiggety
Posts: 92
Joined: June 22nd, 2019, 6:06 pm
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by sdiggety » December 11th, 2020, 8:15 pm

This program was blue-collar-tough not too long ago.

Strong people who actually believed in Maile would go to war for him and give him a victory. End the season with a celebration or one hell of a fight.

Weak people play the victim to get power. They feel better by sitting in the bleachers and hurting others by the power society has given accusations.

This backfired on everyone. The toenail hurt so we cut-off the whole leg to feel better for the moment.

Here's to a winning team in 2021



slcagg
Posts: 7053
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1650 times
Been thanked: 1271 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by slcagg » December 11th, 2020, 8:18 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 7:52 pm
"I am devastated that my comments were interpreted as bias against anyone's religious background," Cockett said in a statement. "Throughout my professional career and, especially, as president of USU, I have welcomed the opportunity to meet directly and often with students about their experiences. Regardless of how difficult the conversations might be in the coming days, I remain committed to giving our students a voice."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... e-crockett

Predictably, we’re one of the top ESPN headlines... =\

What a year. On espn headlines for bottom 10 and player boycott. My goodness.

Luckily we had Sam in what feels like forever ago.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3613
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1265 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 8:19 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:51 pm
AggiePT wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
Would it be too much to ask for a copy and paste of the actual statement?
From yahoo...
The Utah State football players have decided to opt out of our game against Colorado State due to ongoing inequality and prejudicial issues between the players, coaches, and the USU administration.

“On Tuesday, December 8th, the Utah State University Football Leadership Council held a zoom meeting with Noelle Cockett, President of USU, and John Hartwell, the Athletic Director. The purpose of the meeting was to have a say in the search for our new head coach. During the meeting, we voiced our support for Interim Head Coach Frank Maile. In response to our comments, their primary concern was his religious and cultural background. Players, stating their diverse faiths and backgrounds, then jumped to Coach Frank Maile’s defense in treating everyone with love, equality, and fairness.

“It is not the first time issues of repeated discrimination have happened. In December 2019, our head equipment manager used a racial slur against one of our African-American teammates. After disregarding the incident, pressure resurfaced to investigate in the summer of 2020. After the investigation, the administration concluded he would continue to be employed.

“We want our message to be clear that this has nothing to do with the hiring of Coach Blake Anderson, the recently-named head coach of the program. We are sure he is an excellent coach; we look forward to meeting him and his staff. We are highlighting the ongoing problems of inequality and want to create a better future for the community of Logan and Utah State University.”
I guess my concern is they said the meeting was on December 8th which was Tuesday it is now Friday and we are barely getting any of this out. Wouldn't they have brought this out immediately.
So I take it you didn’t read the statement? Player poll was taken, player meeting had to be organized. 100+ people cannot instantly get a consensus opinion and cannot possibly instantly organize a team meeting about that opinion and poll.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not talking about the meeting that they had today but that we didn't hear any of these comments or accusations prior to today when they happened on tuesday. I have a hard time believing that they sat for two days and none of this information was leaked if the comments were so outrageous.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
USU78



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 15119
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has thanked: 314 times
Been thanked: 722 times
Contact:

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by treesap32 » December 11th, 2020, 8:29 pm

Shaq Bond tweeted a teaser yesterday.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
USU78Chod



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic