Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
taniataylor

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by taniataylor » December 11th, 2020, 4:08 pm

SLB wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:05 pm
I would reserve judgement, and I have a hard time believing football players not wanting to play unless something seriously is wrong.
I GUARANTEE they weren’t looking for a reason not to play
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
Chod

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 11th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:00 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:56 pm
Cockett and Hartwell told the football team that they were concerned about Frank being Mormon and Polynesian? I don't know, doesn't make a lot of sense.
Nothing makes sense anymore. If Hartwell and cocket truly had a meeting with the leadership of the team and they said that his Polynesian culture and that he was a member of the LDS Faith were issues in being the head coach then that is just crazy. I have no information on the subject but I just find that really hard to believe that two educated people would say something like that but what do i know.
Yeah, how about, "He has no head coaching experience, and coach Anderson's interview showed us that he will lead USU in a good direction." Simple as that.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 11th, 2020, 4:10 pm

SLB wrote:
I would reserve judgement, and I have a hard time believing football players not wanting to play unless something seriously is wrong.
That something that is seriously wrong was entertaining the idea to bring in a quarterback right before the season started and create a rift in the lockerroom and forced the guy with experience and relationships with the team to move on. Especially when that quarterback was not good enough to justify the move on the field and was a rotten fish in the lockerroom. I think the problems just escalated from there
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieAggieFBObsession

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 11th, 2020, 4:11 pm

taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:08 pm
SLB wrote:
What was said, Tania? If Jordan hasn't told you, then why?

oleblu111

Post by oleblu111 » December 11th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Regardless the program will have serous damage. If the alleged comments by the president prove to be untrue big damage has already been done. If she did not say that and remains why in Hells name would she continue to pour money into the disaster.

This program will suffer for a long time regardless of what was said. I wonder if having Football at USU is such a great thing .USU seems to have more bad happen, than good. One needs to question if it is really worth supporting, If the kids are lying then they all need to go if the President said what is alleged she needs to go also..

SasquatchAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by SasquatchAggie » December 11th, 2020, 4:13 pm

I see this ending one of two ways. Either cockett gets fired/resigns or the players making these accusations lose their scholarship and are off the team. Either way, we just rebuild and move on. Anderson has a lot of work to do but nothing that a fresh restart can't fix.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 11th, 2020, 4:15 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:56 pm
Cockett and Hartwell told the football team that they were concerned about Frank being Mormon and Polynesian? I don't know, doesn't make a lot of sense.
Yup. They entrusted the team to him twice when head coaches abandoned the program.

So, yeah, sure.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0bluegrouse

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 11th, 2020, 4:15 pm

I have to think Hartwell is sending feelers for places to go. I can't imagine him sticking it out here.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » December 11th, 2020, 4:16 pm

It's 2020, something terrible will happen tomorrow and all will be forgotten
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 2):
MrBiggle918AGG

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 11th, 2020, 4:16 pm

AgMac wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:11 pm
taniataylor wrote:
SLB wrote:
Im just saying, no football player just looks for a reason not to play- that doesnt even sound right
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
Chod

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 11th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:02 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:58 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:57 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
In reality, there are always 2 sides to any story. Glad to see the equipment manager situation may not actually be as ugly as was reported.

Problem is, culturally, there are not 2 sides to a story. Once accused of racism, anti-religious bias, etc. you're as good as dead, because nobody will pay any attention to anything but the outrage.
Yep
I disagree with that statement. Look at Morgan scalley and the University of Utah when those comments came out and now look at where they're at they're still functioning okay.
Maybe, but Scalley was severely and publicly reprimanded. If that doesn't happen in this situation (even or perhaps especially if it's not warranted) it's unlikely to go away like the Scalley thing did. People will just claim that the admin is ignoring the problems.

People want to see punishment meted out. People don't really believe reports that nothing happened (see how long people claimed racism after the Nevada-Fire Extinguisher incident). They only believe reports that something did happen, and it's hard to get them to believe otherwise.

I think the only way this "goes away" is if Cockett is out. Regardless of the facts of what happened. :noidea:
Last edited by 3rdGenAggie on December 11th, 2020, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

hvaggie

Post by hvaggie » December 11th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Im thinking this has less to do with religion, if anything, and more to do with the new HC not being a minority
These users thanked the author hvaggie for the post:
MrBiggle

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » December 11th, 2020, 4:22 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:18 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
In reality, there are always 2 sides to any story. Glad to see the equipment manager situation may not actually be as ugly as was reported.

Problem is, culturally, there are not 2 sides to a story. Once accused of racism, anti-religious bias, etc. you're as good as dead, because nobody will pay any attention to anything but the outrage.
Yep
I disagree with that statement. Look at Morgan scalley and the University of Utah when those comments came out and now look at where they're at they're still functioning okay.
Maybe, but Scalley was severely and publicly reprimanded. If that doesn't happen in this situation (even or perhaps especially if it's not warranted) it's unlikely to go away like the Scalley thing did. People will just claim that the admin is ignoring the problems.

People want to see punishment meted out. People don't really believe reports that nothing happened (see how long people claimed racism after the Nevada-Fire Extinguisher incident). They only believe reports that something did happen, and it's hard to get them to believe otherwise.
No punishment was needed, an Investigation proved that much. The guy in question(at USU) was not being racist, just trying to break up a argument with racial words being used, and the entire thing was taken out of context.

We all need to do a better job at teaching our kids respect our more of them will behave like what we are seeing here.

Where only sage brush grows

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 11th, 2020, 4:23 pm

I wonder if for some reason she said something about having a non-lds head coach provides advantages when recruiting out-of-region student athletes. We know part of the negative recruiting by our competitors has to do with the LDS culture. Maybe a non-lds coach can be more successful in that regard as they can speak first hand about it. Even if this is part of their criteria you’d think she would know better than to actually say that to that particular audience.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 11th, 2020, 4:26 pm

taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:16 pm
AgMac wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
SLB wrote:
Im just saying, no football player just looks for a reason not to play- that doesnt even sound right
I tend to agree with you, although there seemed to be serious displeasure that Frank wasn't selected. My bigger question, and I hope it doesn't seem like I'm calling you out, is why doesn't the mother of one of our players know what was said? A mother who talks to her son daily, and specifically about the program. A son who in the past few days told his mother he was going to stay and play another year at USU.

I'm sorry, but I have to assume that if Cockett really said something discriminatory, Jordan tells Tania immediately. It just isn't adding up for me. Still absolute silence from every single player on what was actually said.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 11th, 2020, 4:26 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:23 pm
I wonder if for some reason she said something about having a non-lds head coach provides advantages when recruiting out-of-region student athletes. We know part of the negative recruiting by our competitors has to do with the LDS culture. Maybe a non-lds coach can be more successful in that regard as they can speak first hand about it. Even if this is part of their criteria you’d think she would know better than to actually say that to that particular audience.
This is my thought too. She perhaps said something about how we don't want to appear to have not considered non-LDS candidates and we want to make sure we are welcoming, etc. and it got construed as anti-LDS. Not sure how the accusation the comments were about his culture fit into this though.

Probably dumb to say but not crazy and stupid like "we didn't like his religion or culture and didn't hire him because of it"

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 11th, 2020, 4:26 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:22 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:

Yep

No punishment was needed, an Investigation proved that much. The guy in question(at USU) was not being racist, just trying to break up a argument with racial words being used, and the entire thing was taken out of context.

We all need to do a better job at teaching our kids respect our more of them will behave like what we are seeing here.
That's good to know. I am mostly talking about whatever Cockett said.

Although, this just strengthens my point. There was an accusation of racism, it was determined that nothing needed to be done after an investigation (including the perceived victim saying nothing is wrong) and here they are a year later using the incident as if it were fully and maliciously racist to strengthen their position.

Once accused of racism, there is no resolution until punishment has been publicly given, regardless of the situation.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
MrBiggle

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 4:28 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
But even if that is the case why would you tell players that. Why would you not tell them we're hiring a head coach that has 7 years of head football coach experience and we think he brings more experience running a program to the table then Frank.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 11th, 2020, 4:29 pm

AgMac wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:26 pm
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:16 pm
AgMac wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
SLB wrote:
I tend to agree with you, although there seemed to be serious displeasure that Frank wasn't selected. My bigger question, and I hope it doesn't seem like I'm calling you out, is why doesn't the mother of one of our players know what was said? A mother who talks to her son daily, and specifically about the program. A son who in the past few days told his mother he was going to stay and play another year at USU.

I'm sorry, but I have to assume that if Cockett really said something discriminatory, Jordan tells Tania immediately. It just isn't adding up for me. Still absolute silence from every single player on what was actually said.
A few people here have my pm’s - but I wasnt there. I know my son is level headed and doesnt tend to embellish. I can say, he wanted to play....as I said before, he could careless about drama -
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 2):
ChodJjoey52

CastIronAggie

Post by CastIronAggie » December 11th, 2020, 4:29 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:26 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
This is my thought too. She perhaps said something about how we don't want to appear to have not considered non-LDS candidates and we want to make sure we are welcoming, etc. and it got construed as anti-LDS. Not sure how the accusation the comments were about his culture fit into this though.

Probably dumb to say but not crazy and stupid like "we didn't like his religion or culture and didn't hire him because of it"
I was thinking it could be that she said something about looking for a coach outside the Utah culture and that got interpreted as anti LDS. Would explain the culture part of their statement.

Until they release a quote, all we have is wild conjecture.
These users thanked the author CastIronAggie for the post (total 2):
IntermeddlerAggieFBObsession

coolag

Post by coolag » December 11th, 2020, 4:32 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:22 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:

Yep

Get out of here with facts and reality brotha. No need here.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
MrBiggle

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » December 11th, 2020, 4:37 pm

I don't know what was said and I'm reserving judgment until I do. That said...

If you're asking me to believe that Noelle Cockett, who has navigated her career in such a way that she is now a university president (which might be among the most politically correct jobs in existence), and who has no track record of any sort of behavior like this, would get on a call with a group of emotionally charged young men, many of whom are minorities, and say something to the effect of, "We didn't hire this guy because he's a Mormon Polynesian," well...I'm going to need some solid evidence. Maybe that evidence exists, who knows.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post (total 4):
Sl7vk3rdGenAggiebluegrouseGreenAg

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 11th, 2020, 4:38 pm

taniataylor wrote:
SLB wrote:
This 100000000 times. If you have ever looked for a reason to not play a game. You really shouldn't be in or around sports. You are doing it for the wrong reasons and you are going to get yourself or a teammate, or kid ( if you are a coach) hurt.
I cant imagine anything that would make me feel like I need a excuse not to play.

If fact I bet it was the opposite. This was a damn hard decision to make, but right is right and wrong is wrong. I bet there were tears and broken hearts over this. As there should have been. No way that was a easy decison much less a way out.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post:
Chod

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 11th, 2020, 4:39 pm

What a train wreck. I can’t even stomach this. Another terrible PR piece for USU.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 11th, 2020, 4:40 pm

SasquatchAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:13 pm
I see this ending one of two ways. Either cockett gets fired/resigns or the players making these accusations lose their scholarship and are off the team. Either way, we just rebuild and move on. Anderson has a lot of work to do but nothing that a fresh restart can't fix.
And if the resolution is your second option there, it will haunt the program for a long time.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 11th, 2020, 4:40 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
You can't say that to any audience in any hiring discussion. Not acceptable. This mess is the very reason why.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
MWCFAN12

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 11th, 2020, 4:41 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:38 pm
taniataylor wrote:
SLB wrote:
This 100000000 times. If you have ever looked for a reason to not play a game. You really shouldn't be in or around sports. You are doing it for the wrong reasons and you are going to get yourself or a teammate, or kid ( if you are a coach) hurt.
I cant imagine anything that would make me feel like I need a excuse not to play.

If fact I bet it was the opposite. This was a damn hard decision to make, but right is right and wrong is wrong. I bet there were tear and broken hearts over this. As there should have been. No way that was a easy decison much less a way out.
Then why would you choose this route as your form of protest. It only harms themselves, Maile, and a conference mate. They didn't think this through at all. They needed to make the comments public exactly how they were expressed and do their protesting and whatever social justice canceling is done these days in a normal fashion. YOU DON'T REFUSE TO PLAY A FOOTBALL GAME. THATS INSANE.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
MrBiggle

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 11th, 2020, 4:42 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
SLB wrote:

If fact I bet it was the opposite. This was a damn hard decision to make, but right is right and wrong is wrong. I bet there were tears and broken hearts over this. As there should have been. No way that was a easy decison much less a way out.
All the more reason it's fishy that there has been radio silence on what was so beyond the pale that it required this extreme outcome.

Not saying it didn't happen, but it would be nice if there was anything corroborating their story. We already know that part of their complaint is bunk (the part about the equipment manager).

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 4:43 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:41 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
SLB wrote:

If fact I bet it was the opposite. This was a damn hard decision to make, but right is right and wrong is wrong. I bet there were tear and broken hearts over this. As there should have been. No way that was a easy decison much less a way out.
Then why would you choose this route as your form of protest. It only harms themselves, Maile, and a conference mate. They didn't think this through at all. They needed to make the comments public exactly how they were expressed and do their protesting and whatever social justice canceling is done these days in a normal fashion. YOU DON'T REFUSE TO PLAY A FOOTBALL GAME. THATS INSANE.
I tend to agree with you. If I were a player and assuming these accusations were true which I have no clue if they were or not. The last thing I would want to do is not play the game. I would want to go out and prove something on the field. But what do I know. I guess the one thing I do know is that being an Aggie fan is not easy.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
taniataylor

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 11th, 2020, 4:45 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:43 pm
hickaggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
SLB wrote:

I tend to agree with you. If I were a player and assuming these accusations were true which I have no clue if they were or not. The last thing I would want to do is not play the game. I would want to go out and prove something on the field. But what do I know. I guess the one thing I do know is that being an Aggie fan is not easy.
This is gonna be a LOOOONG off-season

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 11th, 2020, 4:46 pm

hickaggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
SLB wrote:

The fact they did vote to not play should tell you just how bad it was. Think about it .. A entire team. There would always be a few guys who would say. " who cares lets just play" to something like that.... ALWAYS.... but there isn't. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM FELT THE NEED TO SIT OUT.. ALL OF THEM.... that speaks volumes to me.
Last edited by MWCFAN12 on December 11th, 2020, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post:
Chod

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 11th, 2020, 4:48 pm

ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:43 pm
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:41 pm
ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm
WOW!!! I mean I knew your program was a dumpster fire but good hell this is bad....
Administration being accused of racial and religious bias, really not good.
Tell me again how USU is such a superior program to Weber State....
Im betting Jay Hill is saying prayers of thanks that he didnt get that job
Go away, this is not your time
After sitting back and reading all the comments on how superior USU supposedly is, well you have to expect WSU and BYU fans to pile on. At least my team isnt in the national media for all the wrong reasons.
Last edited by mcaggie1 on December 11th, 2020, 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 11th, 2020, 4:49 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:46 pm
hickaggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
SLB wrote:

The fact they did vote to not play should tell you just how bad it was. Think about it .. A entire team. There would always be a few guys who would say. " who cares lets just play" to something like that.... ALWAYS.... but there isn't. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM FELT THE NEED TO SIT OUT.. ALL OF THEM.... that speaks volumes to me.
I don't believe that's true. Some players voted to play.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 2):
taniataylorAggieFBObsession

SasquatchAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by SasquatchAggie » December 11th, 2020, 4:50 pm

AgMac wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:49 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
SLB wrote:

Correct, lets read all the reports before we we say "ALL OF THEM"
These users thanked the author SasquatchAggie for the post:
taniataylor

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 11th, 2020, 4:50 pm

SasquatchAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:50 pm
AgMac wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:49 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
SLB wrote:

Correct, lets read all the reports before we we say "ALL OF THEM"
True story

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic