Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 489
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 117 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 11th, 2020, 3:43 pm

Wait, why is the president of the university on a Zoom call with football players? To what end? And IF she was, why would she feel the need to give her (apparently racist) comments about their outgoing coach? HUNH??



coolag
Posts: 1388
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 134 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by coolag » December 11th, 2020, 3:44 pm

BigBlueAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:15 pm
If the players had grabbed a recording of the Zoom...and she said what they alledge...wow. That would be grounds for termination and would gather bigger news agencies than Cache Valley.
And if proven to be false then every single player should have their scholarship revoked and punished by the law for slander if necessary.
Last edited by coolag on December 11th, 2020, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post (total 3):
ajwildcatAhbyeAggieFBObsession



User avatar
AgMac
Posts: 2889
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:29 am
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 317 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by AgMac » December 11th, 2020, 3:44 pm

ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:43 pm
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:41 pm
ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm
WOW!!! I mean I knew your program was a dumpster fire but good hell this is bad....
Administration being accused of racial and religious bias, really not good.
Tell me again how USU is such a superior program to Weber State....
Im betting Jay Hill is saying prayers of thanks that he didnt get that job
Go away, this is not your time
After sitting back and reading all the comments on how superior USU supposedly is, well you have to expect WSU and BYU fans to pile on. At least my team isnt in the national media for all the wrong reasons.
Or for any reason.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5697
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 467 times
Been thanked: 949 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 11th, 2020, 3:44 pm

ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:43 pm
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:41 pm
ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm
WOW!!! I mean I knew your program was a dumpster fire but good hell this is bad....
Administration being accused of racial and religious bias, really not good.
Tell me again how USU is such a superior program to Weber State....
Im betting Jay Hill is saying prayers of thanks that he didnt get that job
Go away, this is not your time
After sitting back and reading all the comments on how superior USU supposedly is, well you have to expect WSU and BYU fans to pile on. At least my team isnt in the national media for all the wrong reasons.
lol. usu is VASTLY superior to Weber. Run along now.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Full



User avatar
MrBiggle
Posts: 1451
Joined: October 10th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 416 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by MrBiggle » December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.


Where only sage brush grows

rAggie
Posts: 551
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:52 am
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 194 times
Contact:

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by rAggie » December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm

ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm
WOW!!! I mean I knew your program was a dumpster fire but good hell this is bad....
Administration being accused of racial and religious bias, really not good.
Tell me again how USU is such a superior program to Weber State....
Im betting Jay Hill is saying prayers of thanks that he didnt get that job
Yeah would hate to be in the press for something like a professor under investigation for threatening to kill protestors.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... professor/



User avatar
ajwildcat
Troll
Posts: 22
Joined: April 29th, 2011, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by ajwildcat » December 11th, 2020, 3:46 pm

rAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm
WOW!!! I mean I knew your program was a dumpster fire but good hell this is bad....
Administration being accused of racial and religious bias, really not good.
Tell me again how USU is such a superior program to Weber State....
Im betting Jay Hill is saying prayers of thanks that he didnt get that job
Yeah would hate to be in the press for something like a professor under investigation for threatening to kill protestors.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... professor/
And what does this have to do with athletics dumb (I can't express myself without swearing)?



AggiePT
Posts: 180
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by AggiePT » December 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
Would it be too much to ask for a copy and paste of the actual statement?



slcagg
Posts: 6291
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1347 times
Been thanked: 1072 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by slcagg » December 11th, 2020, 3:48 pm

ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:46 pm
rAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm
WOW!!! I mean I knew your program was a dumpster fire but good hell this is bad....
Administration being accused of racial and religious bias, really not good.
Tell me again how USU is such a superior program to Weber State....
Im betting Jay Hill is saying prayers of thanks that he didnt get that job
Yeah would hate to be in the press for something like a professor under investigation for threatening to kill protestors.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... professor/
And what does this have to do with athletics dumb (I can't express myself without swearing)?
Weber is not a better job. Way to go to come on here and tell us that with the current situation.



splintorb
Posts: 320
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by splintorb » December 11th, 2020, 3:48 pm

ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:46 pm
rAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm
WOW!!! I mean I knew your program was a dumpster fire but good hell this is bad....
Administration being accused of racial and religious bias, really not good.
Tell me again how USU is such a superior program to Weber State....
Im betting Jay Hill is saying prayers of thanks that he didnt get that job
Yeah would hate to be in the press for something like a professor under investigation for threatening to kill protestors.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... professor/
And what does this have to do with athletics dumb (I can't express myself without swearing)?
What part of your comment was based around athletics besides Jay Hill? Cause you can't be saying that Weber State is superior to USU anything athletic wise...



Imakeitrain
Posts: 7540
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 421 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Imakeitrain » December 11th, 2020, 3:48 pm

ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:43 pm
taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:41 pm
ajwildcat wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm
WOW!!! I mean I knew your program was a dumpster fire but good hell this is bad....
Administration being accused of racial and religious bias, really not good.
Tell me again how USU is such a superior program to Weber State....
Im betting Jay Hill is saying prayers of thanks that he didnt get that job
Go away, this is not your time
After sitting back and reading all the comments on how superior USU supposedly is, well you have to expect WSU and BYU fans to pile on. At least my team isnt in the national media for all the wrong reasons.
People have to care about Weber first.


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

cval
Posts: 1025
Joined: December 10th, 2010, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by cval » December 11th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Hey guys. STOP FEEDING THE TROLL. Let him fade quietly away.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 3):
slcaggthegreendalegelfCodingAggieBlue



slcagg
Posts: 6291
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1347 times
Been thanked: 1072 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by slcagg » December 11th, 2020, 3:50 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
What a mess
Last edited by slcagg on December 11th, 2020, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
MrBiggle
Posts: 1451
Joined: October 10th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 416 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by MrBiggle » December 11th, 2020, 3:51 pm

AggiePT wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
Would it be too much to ask for a copy and paste of the actual statement?
From yahoo...
The Utah State football players have decided to opt out of our game against Colorado State due to ongoing inequality and prejudicial issues between the players, coaches, and the USU administration.

“On Tuesday, December 8th, the Utah State University Football Leadership Council held a zoom meeting with Noelle Cockett, President of USU, and John Hartwell, the Athletic Director. The purpose of the meeting was to have a say in the search for our new head coach. During the meeting, we voiced our support for Interim Head Coach Frank Maile. In response to our comments, their primary concern was his religious and cultural background. Players, stating their diverse faiths and backgrounds, then jumped to Coach Frank Maile’s defense in treating everyone with love, equality, and fairness.

“It is not the first time issues of repeated discrimination have happened. In December 2019, our head equipment manager used a racial slur against one of our African-American teammates. After disregarding the incident, pressure resurfaced to investigate in the summer of 2020. After the investigation, the administration concluded he would continue to be employed.

“We want our message to be clear that this has nothing to do with the hiring of Coach Blake Anderson, the recently-named head coach of the program. We are sure he is an excellent coach; we look forward to meeting him and his staff. We are highlighting the ongoing problems of inequality and want to create a better future for the community of Logan and Utah State University.”
These users thanked the author MrBiggle for the post:
AggiePT


Where only sage brush grows

Yossarian
Posts: 4485
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 781 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Yossarian » December 11th, 2020, 3:51 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:43 pm
I hope the players haven't bitten off more than they intended. They're actively and literally going after the president of the university and her job (and possibly the Athletic Director as well). They're going to need proof, especially given that as far as I'm aware Cockett hasn't ever had a single complaint against her.

I hope it isn't mostly a case of being mad their guy wasn't hired and latching onto whatever they can to cause a stink.

I'm not saying that's the case. Maybe Cockett said something completely worthy of the players getting her fired.
I hear they are toppling statues. This guy is in peril:


Image



Donman
Posts: 2636
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 9:49 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Donman » December 11th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Personally, I am worried for Frank and the future of the assistants. This does not make them look good for future employers.
These users thanked the author Donman for the post:
3rdGenAggie



Aggie84025
Posts: 3055
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1036 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 3:55 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:51 pm
AggiePT wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
Would it be too much to ask for a copy and paste of the actual statement?
From yahoo...
The Utah State football players have decided to opt out of our game against Colorado State due to ongoing inequality and prejudicial issues between the players, coaches, and the USU administration.

“On Tuesday, December 8th, the Utah State University Football Leadership Council held a zoom meeting with Noelle Cockett, President of USU, and John Hartwell, the Athletic Director. The purpose of the meeting was to have a say in the search for our new head coach. During the meeting, we voiced our support for Interim Head Coach Frank Maile. In response to our comments, their primary concern was his religious and cultural background. Players, stating their diverse faiths and backgrounds, then jumped to Coach Frank Maile’s defense in treating everyone with love, equality, and fairness.

“It is not the first time issues of repeated discrimination have happened. In December 2019, our head equipment manager used a racial slur against one of our African-American teammates. After disregarding the incident, pressure resurfaced to investigate in the summer of 2020. After the investigation, the administration concluded he would continue to be employed.

“We want our message to be clear that this has nothing to do with the hiring of Coach Blake Anderson, the recently-named head coach of the program. We are sure he is an excellent coach; we look forward to meeting him and his staff. We are highlighting the ongoing problems of inequality and want to create a better future for the community of Logan and Utah State University.”
I guess my concern is they said the meeting was on December 8th which was Tuesday it is now Friday and we are barely getting any of this out. Wouldn't they have brought this out immediately.



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 1240
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has thanked: 922 times
Been thanked: 413 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 11th, 2020, 3:56 pm

Cockett and Hartwell told the football team that they were concerned about Frank being Mormon and Polynesian? I don't know, doesn't make a lot of sense.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
USU78AggieFBObsession



Yossarian
Posts: 4485
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 781 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Yossarian » December 11th, 2020, 3:56 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:51 pm
AggiePT wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
Would it be too much to ask for a copy and paste of the actual statement?
From yahoo...
The Utah State football players have decided to opt out of our game against Colorado State due to ongoing inequality and prejudicial issues between the players, coaches, and the USU administration.

“On Tuesday, December 8th, the Utah State University Football Leadership Council held a zoom meeting with Noelle Cockett, President of USU, and John Hartwell, the Athletic Director. The purpose of the meeting was to have a say in the search for our new head coach. During the meeting, we voiced our support for Interim Head Coach Frank Maile. In response to our comments, their primary concern was his religious and cultural background. Players, stating their diverse faiths and backgrounds, then jumped to Coach Frank Maile’s defense in treating everyone with love, equality, and fairness.

“It is not the first time issues of repeated discrimination have happened. In December 2019, our head equipment manager used a racial slur against one of our African-American teammates. After disregarding the incident, pressure resurfaced to investigate in the summer of 2020. After the investigation, the administration concluded he would continue to be employed.

“We want our message to be clear that this has nothing to do with the hiring of Coach Blake Anderson, the recently-named head coach of the program. We are sure he is an excellent coach; we look forward to meeting him and his staff. We are highlighting the ongoing problems of inequality and want to create a better future for the community of Logan and Utah State University.”
There are quotation marks here but they are not attributed to a source. Who was being quoted here?



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6741
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 564 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 11th, 2020, 3:57 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
In reality, there are always 2 sides to any story. Glad to see the equipment manager situation may not actually be as ugly as was reported.

Problem is, culturally, there are not 2 sides to a story. Once accused of racism, anti-religious bias, etc. you're as good as dead, because nobody will pay any attention to anything but the outrage.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
bluegrouseMrBiggle


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

bluegrouse
Posts: 3360
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by bluegrouse » December 11th, 2020, 3:58 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:57 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
In reality, there are always 2 sides to any story. Glad to see the equipment manager situation may not actually be as ugly as was reported.

Problem is, culturally, there are not 2 sides to a story. Once accused of racism, anti-religious bias, etc. you're as good as dead, because nobody will pay any attention to anything but the outrage.
Yep



Full
Posts: 1845
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 11:07 am
Location: Davis County
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Full » December 11th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Donman wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:53 pm
Personally, I am worried for Frank and the future of the assistants. This does not make them look good for future employers.
With few job openings to fill, I thought more than a few would out of coaching for a year. I agree this doesn’t help their prospects at all. It also applies to any players thinking about transferring.



User avatar
MrBiggle
Posts: 1451
Joined: October 10th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 416 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by MrBiggle » December 11th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Yossarian wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:56 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:51 pm
AggiePT wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
Would it be too much to ask for a copy and paste of the actual statement?
From yahoo...
The Utah State football players have decided to opt out of our game against Colorado State due to ongoing inequality and prejudicial issues between the players, coaches, and the USU administration.

“On Tuesday, December 8th, the Utah State University Football Leadership Council held a zoom meeting with Noelle Cockett, President of USU, and John Hartwell, the Athletic Director. The purpose of the meeting was to have a say in the search for our new head coach. During the meeting, we voiced our support for Interim Head Coach Frank Maile. In response to our comments, their primary concern was his religious and cultural background. Players, stating their diverse faiths and backgrounds, then jumped to Coach Frank Maile’s defense in treating everyone with love, equality, and fairness.

“It is not the first time issues of repeated discrimination have happened. In December 2019, our head equipment manager used a racial slur against one of our African-American teammates. After disregarding the incident, pressure resurfaced to investigate in the summer of 2020. After the investigation, the administration concluded he would continue to be employed.

“We want our message to be clear that this has nothing to do with the hiring of Coach Blake Anderson, the recently-named head coach of the program. We are sure he is an excellent coach; we look forward to meeting him and his staff. We are highlighting the ongoing problems of inequality and want to create a better future for the community of Logan and Utah State University.”
There are quotation marks here but they are not attributed to a source. Who was being quoted here?
The players released a statement to Stadium about their decision not to play. The comments allegedly made by school president Noelle Cockett on Tuesday were about her concerns with Maile’s “religious and cultural background.” Maile, a former Utah State player, is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.


Where only sage brush grows

Aggie84025
Posts: 3055
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1036 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 4:00 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:56 pm
Cockett and Hartwell told the football team that they were concerned about Frank being Mormon and Polynesian? I don't know, doesn't make a lot of sense.
Nothing makes sense anymore. If Hartwell and cocket truly had a meeting with the leadership of the team and they said that his Polynesian culture and that he was a member of the LDS Faith were issues in being the head coach then that is just crazy. I have no information on the subject but I just find that really hard to believe that two educated people would say something like that but what do i know.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1335
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Sl7vk » December 11th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Any links to the players statement?



User avatar
MrBiggle
Posts: 1451
Joined: October 10th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 416 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by MrBiggle » December 11th, 2020, 4:02 pm



Where only sage brush grows

Aggie84025
Posts: 3055
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1036 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 4:02 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:58 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:57 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
In reality, there are always 2 sides to any story. Glad to see the equipment manager situation may not actually be as ugly as was reported.

Problem is, culturally, there are not 2 sides to a story. Once accused of racism, anti-religious bias, etc. you're as good as dead, because nobody will pay any attention to anything but the outrage.
Yep
I disagree with that statement. Look at Morgan scalley and the University of Utah when those comments came out and now look at where they're at they're still functioning okay.



Aggie702
Posts: 26
Joined: November 5th, 2020, 5:28 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Aggie702 » December 11th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Why not voice their concerns to Cockett, Hartwell and Maile first before going straight to a boycott to see if they could get an apology or clarification? Seems like team wanted out of last game and was looking for any excuse. Feel bad for seniors that didn’t realize Air Force was their last game. What a strange way to end an already strange season.



User avatar
AgMac
Posts: 2889
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:29 am
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 317 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by AgMac » December 11th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:55 pm
I guess my concern is they said the meeting was on December 8th which was Tuesday it is now Friday and we are barely getting any of this out. Wouldn't they have brought this out immediately.
100%.



bluegrouse
Posts: 3360
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by bluegrouse » December 11th, 2020, 4:04 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:02 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:58 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:57 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
In reality, there are always 2 sides to any story. Glad to see the equipment manager situation may not actually be as ugly as was reported.

Problem is, culturally, there are not 2 sides to a story. Once accused of racism, anti-religious bias, etc. you're as good as dead, because nobody will pay any attention to anything but the outrage.
Yep
I disagree with that statement. Look at Morgan scalley and the University of Utah when those comments came out and now look at where they're at they're still functioning okay.
A university president is different than an assistant football coach.

EDIT: to be clear, I don’t believe a word of this. But facts don’t matter in cases like this. Any accusation is enough.
Last edited by bluegrouse on December 11th, 2020, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.



SLB
Posts: 4886
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 471 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by SLB » December 11th, 2020, 4:05 pm

I would reserve judgement, and I have a hard time believing football players not wanting to play unless something seriously is wrong.



User avatar
MrBiggle
Posts: 1451
Joined: October 10th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 416 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by MrBiggle » December 11th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 4:02 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:58 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:57 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Just read the released statement from the players. And here goes...
If those dip $hits think that the problem with the head equipment manager was not taken care of properly they can go pound sand! What a bunch of entitled pricks! They know nothing, but what an upset girlfriend said, who by the way was not even present for the incident. The entire thing was taken out of context and the player involved stated what happened is not a problem! These kids, because that is what they are acting like, are going to struggle with life if they think this is how things get accomplished.
In reality, there are always 2 sides to any story. Glad to see the equipment manager situation may not actually be as ugly as was reported.

Problem is, culturally, there are not 2 sides to a story. Once accused of racism, anti-religious bias, etc. you're as good as dead, because nobody will pay any attention to anything but the outrage.
Yep
I disagree with that statement. Look at Morgan scalley and the University of Utah when those comments came out and now look at where they're at they're still functioning okay.
Very similar situation here.
These users thanked the author MrBiggle for the post:
AggieFBObsession


Where only sage brush grows

User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6741
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 564 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 11th, 2020, 4:08 pm

I'd be willing to bet the "culture" line from the players is also is alluding to the religious thing not a Polynesian thing. Being LDS in Utah is every bit as much a cultural thing as a religious thing.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

TrueAG
Posts: 1211
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:19 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by TrueAG » December 11th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Toxic Masculine football players disrespect female University President due to Patriararcy.



Ethereal_Owl
Posts: 5
Joined: December 11th, 2020, 3:56 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Players voted against playing because of comments by President Cockett

Post by Ethereal_Owl » December 11th, 2020, 4:08 pm

ajwildcat wrote:WOW!!! I mean I knew your program was a dumpster fire but good hell this is bad....
Administration being accused of racial and religious bias, really not good.
Tell me again how USU is such a superior program to Weber State....
Im betting Jay Hill is saying prayers of thanks that he didnt get that job
USU is objectively superior to Weber in nearly every measurement, academically and athletically. No investigation has even happened and the players are emotional because of the the changes. GTFO dude.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic