Blake Anderson??

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6758
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 570 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 10th, 2020, 8:17 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 5:07 pm
I agree, and of the 10 that stay in state, most years 10 go to BYU or Utah. It's unfortunate, but it's the reality. Doesn't mean we should not recruit Utah heavily every year. Generally speaking, no less than 25% of the roster should be Utah kids.
What are you basing the 25% number on? I don't know if I've ever seen a Utah State roster with 25 or more Utah kids that are MWC caliber.
Came up with it out of nowhere. Maybe it's too high, but probably not. Out of 84 scholarships it would be 21 players. That's only like 5 per year from Utah.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 4430
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 334 times
Been thanked: 774 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 10th, 2020, 8:20 pm

bigblue wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 8:01 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:Have we ever hired a more proven successful coach than Blake Anderson? We’ve resorted to FCS coaches, coordinators, or second chance retreads for the past few decades. I’d think we’d all be pretty stoked about this hire.
I think the is an excellent post. It has added to my excitement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
And something for anyone critical of it to consider. We just hired a guy who has shown he can win in FBS and do consistently. Would Graham Harrell do better? Possibly, but we don't 100% know. We know the guy we hired can win. I don't blame Hartwell at all for this hire.



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9258
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2408 times
Been thanked: 758 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by USU78 » December 10th, 2020, 8:33 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 8:17 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 5:07 pm
I agree, and of the 10 that stay in state, most years 10 go to BYU or Utah. It's unfortunate, but it's the reality. Doesn't mean we should not recruit Utah heavily every year. Generally speaking, no less than 25% of the roster should be Utah kids.
What are you basing the 25% number on? I don't know if I've ever seen a Utah State roster with 25 or more Utah kids that are MWC caliber.
Came up with it out of nowhere. Maybe it's too high, but probably not. Out of 84 scholarships it would be 21 players. That's only like 5 per year from Utah.
32 Utah kids on the roster.


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie84025
Posts: 3064
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1037 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by Aggie84025 » December 10th, 2020, 9:03 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:36 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:09 pm
BLUERUFiO wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:49 pm
“The Red Wolves have won at least seven games every season under Anderson's coaching, including a 9-victory campaign in 2015 and eight-win years in 2016, 2018 and 2019. “

Weren’t we just saying a few days ago that 7 wins every season would be good to great at USU? I’m pumped.
If we have a consistent 6-7 win team I am absolutely satisfied. Guys seems like a solid hire. He has his work cut out for him, but for sure a solid get.
Screw that! I want our team to be in the MWC championship game regularly with a shot at the non-P5 BCS slot once every 3-4 years.
I would love to have that as well I'm just being realistic with what I think could be expected based on our budget and support we have.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3064
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1037 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by Aggie84025 » December 10th, 2020, 9:09 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 7:00 pm
From a car perspective, this hire seems like buying a new Toyota Camry or Tacoma type of hire. Nothing flashy but solid and dependable. The type of vehicle that won’t turn heads as you drive through campus but which will impress your GF’s or BF’s parents because it shows you are a practical and solid person who knows how to utilize resources wisely. While many were hoping for a Land Cruiser or even a Lexus 460 or perhaps a Nissan GT-R, Utah State, is a Camry or a Tacoma type of school - solid and value oriented. I do think that 6-7 wins is not a successful coach, however. I think 8-9 is more in line of where I’d like to see us as a floor with double digits wins not an unheard of thing. Certainly, a dependable long-lasting coach, that knows what he is doing, can get us there. This may very well by the FB team’s version of Stew Merrill but with someone who will play the bigger schools. Time will tell.
I think you hit it on the nailed it with that post, thank you very much. I don't know that I would compare Gary's second coming as, maybe a geo prism that caught on fire.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
USU78



Aggie84025
Posts: 3064
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1037 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by Aggie84025 » December 10th, 2020, 9:11 pm

slcagg wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 7:55 pm
AggieMan5 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 7:52 pm
Some recruiting ranks the last few years from 247.

2015:
Ark St - 90th (4th Sun Belt)
Utah State - 96th (5th MW)

2016:
Ark St - 90th (3rd Sun Belt)
Utah State - 92nd (8th MW)

2017:
Ark St - 111th (7th Sun Belt)
Utah State - 104th (9th MW)

2018:
Ark St - 88th (1st Sun Belt)
Utah State - 109th (9th MW)

2019:
Ark St - 95th (3rd Sun Belt)
Utah State - 90th (4th MW)

2020:
Ark St - 96th (4th Sun Belt)
Utah State - 122nd (11th MW)
Keep this in mind as well as far as recruiting to asu vs the other sun belt teams. Arkansas is one of the least talent rich states in that grouping. You have teams from Texas to North Carolina and the state of Arkansas has about the least talent. Those are pretty solid rankings considering that.
What is even more impressive is that he was able to be successful with those recruiting classes. It's not like those were super high rankings but they were definitely solid and if he can get those similar type rankings here with his coaching ability will definitely have some successful seasons.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 15532
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 833 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by brownjeans » December 10th, 2020, 9:19 pm

I think one thing is clear, Hartwell is racist against Danes - favoring the Swedes instead.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
Sl7vkUSU78OrangeCountyAggie



Jjoey52
Posts: 3619
Joined: December 16th, 2014, 11:17 pm
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by Jjoey52 » December 10th, 2020, 9:36 pm

I like the hire. He would have stayed at Ark St., but after his wife died he needed a change of scenery, totally understandable.

He has a major rebuild here, I don’t expect results until year 3. GA really screwed the porch here.


“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 490
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 117 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 11th, 2020, 12:46 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 9:03 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:36 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:09 pm
BLUERUFiO wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:49 pm
“The Red Wolves have won at least seven games every season under Anderson's coaching, including a 9-victory campaign in 2015 and eight-win years in 2016, 2018 and 2019. “

Weren’t we just saying a few days ago that 7 wins every season would be good to great at USU? I’m pumped.
If we have a consistent 6-7 win team I am absolutely satisfied. Guys seems like a solid hire. He has his work cut out for him, but for sure a solid get.
Screw that! I want our team to be in the MWC championship game regularly with a shot at the non-P5 BCS slot once every 3-4 years.
I would love to have that as well I'm just being realistic with what I think could be expected based on our budget and support we have.
"If you build it they will come" - Field of Dreams



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 490
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 117 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 11th, 2020, 12:47 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 9:19 pm
I think one thing is clear, Hartwell is racist against Danes - favoring the Swedes instead.
:golfclap:



Astate4life
Posts: 2
Joined: December 10th, 2020, 5:46 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by Astate4life » December 11th, 2020, 3:01 am

Elkaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:43 pm
arkstfan wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Hearing Kyle Cefalo is coming with him. You will love him. Once he took over WR they became beasts blocking and fighting for the ball. Your WRs will improve
Something we need very badly. Thanks for your insights!
Plus he is a recruiting machine and has contacts everywhere. We are/were in the hunt for a 4* db in Alabama. Just pray Blake leaves most of his D staff behind unless you want the opponents to score in the 40s, 50s and roll up 500/600 yds offense
These users thanked the author Astate4life for the post (total 3):
USU78aggies22HomeTown



slcagg
Posts: 6314
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1350 times
Been thanked: 1072 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by slcagg » December 11th, 2020, 6:01 am

Astate4life wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:01 am
Elkaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:43 pm
arkstfan wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Hearing Kyle Cefalo is coming with him. You will love him. Once he took over WR they became beasts blocking and fighting for the ball. Your WRs will improve
Something we need very badly. Thanks for your insights!
Plus he is a recruiting machine and has contacts everywhere. We are/were in the hunt for a 4* db in Alabama. Just pray Blake leaves most of his D staff behind unless you want the opponents to score in the 40s, 50s and roll up 500/600 yds offense
What recruit are you referring to?



slcagg
Posts: 6314
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1350 times
Been thanked: 1072 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by slcagg » December 11th, 2020, 6:16 am

A few decommits from asu in the last few days. Would not be surprised to see a few of these to usu.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas- ... Decommits/



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9258
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2408 times
Been thanked: 758 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by USU78 » December 11th, 2020, 7:15 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 9:19 pm
I think one thing is clear, Hartwell is racist against Danes - favoring the Swedes instead.
... or even worse, if he's a Yorkshire Anderson ...
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
crazywookiebrownjeans


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

JFW_AGGIES
Posts: 681
Joined: September 2nd, 2017, 6:02 am
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 133 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 11th, 2020, 7:22 am

Why do our fans always seen to take threads down rabbit holes? :headscratch:



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1610
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 346 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 11th, 2020, 8:02 am

slcagg wrote:A few decommits from asu in the last few days. Would not be surprised to see a few of these to usu.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas- ... Decommits/
We could use the 6’4” wide receiver Marlon Crockett. Maybe one of the rb’s as well. I think most of the others have since committed elsewhere.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3064
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1037 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 8:09 am

when do we expect the official announcement and news conference? The more i think about the hire i am super excited. I think he will be solid. We could have done a lot worse in a coach. Interested to see who he brings to coach the defense. Blake seems like a great offensive mind.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Sl7vk



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9258
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2408 times
Been thanked: 758 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by USU78 » December 11th, 2020, 9:07 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 8:09 am
when do we expect the official announcement and news conference? The more i think about the hire i am super excited. I think he will be solid. We could have done a lot worse in a coach. Interested to see who he brings to coach the defense. Blake seems like a great offensive mind.
The Arkie State folks are entitled to their announcement and their mourning. Everybody knows already. We can wait.

In the meantime, Welcome New True Andy!


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10673
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6598 times
Been thanked: 4054 times
Contact:

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by aggies22 » December 11th, 2020, 10:03 am

Yossarian wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:38 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:26 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:24 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:57 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:54 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:49 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:09 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:59 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:46 pm
I'd like to see Maile stay as AHC if he's willing and maybe Collins could be special teams and position coach as well as Bojay and DJ staying on staff. I think the most important hire will be Defensive Coordinator as Anderson seems to be more involved on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe Yost will be available to bring back as OC. Seems Anderson likes offense and Yost's style may suit his philosophy ok.
I agree but highly doubt it will happen. One thing we have to keep is our Poly pipeline and recruiting the State of Utah.
Why do we need to recruit Utah? Why is that a focus?
Because there are lots of good players that come out of Utah and we have a leg up on getting many of them compared with out of state programs. Why would you NOT focus on recruiting Utah?
Look and see how many of the top 20 players in Utah we actually land.
What do you mean? How many top 20 Utah players does anybody in the MWC land?

Exactly.
I guess I don't understand your point. How many top 20 players of ANY state (outside of maybe Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas and Delaware) does any G5 program pull in? Boise might get a couple, but other than that...

That's not who we will ever be, so I don't expect that.
I guess I don't understand the point. I'm NOT saying abandon utah altogether. But is it good recruiting sense to pass on an a higher rated out-of-state kid JUST to take a lower rated kid from utah in order to appease the fans?
Definitely not, but Utah should be thoroughly canvassed every year. That's all I'm saying
Years ago, I had people in Logan and the surrounding area tell me they had no interest in "going to watch a bunch of Californians play" when I asked them why they didn't attend games. I don't know if this is still a prevalent attitude up there? That may be one advantage to taking a marginal local kid over a marginal out-of-state kid. You may get an attendance boost (or take an attendance hit if you completely ignore Utah kids in recruiting). Fans like to feel a connection to the players they support.
I think that mindset has changed.



splintorb
Posts: 320
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by splintorb » December 11th, 2020, 10:07 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 10:03 am
Yossarian wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:38 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:26 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:24 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:57 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:54 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:49 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:09 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:59 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:46 pm
I'd like to see Maile stay as AHC if he's willing and maybe Collins could be special teams and position coach as well as Bojay and DJ staying on staff. I think the most important hire will be Defensive Coordinator as Anderson seems to be more involved on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe Yost will be available to bring back as OC. Seems Anderson likes offense and Yost's style may suit his philosophy ok.
I agree but highly doubt it will happen. One thing we have to keep is our Poly pipeline and recruiting the State of Utah.
Why do we need to recruit Utah? Why is that a focus?
Because there are lots of good players that come out of Utah and we have a leg up on getting many of them compared with out of state programs. Why would you NOT focus on recruiting Utah?
Look and see how many of the top 20 players in Utah we actually land.
What do you mean? How many top 20 Utah players does anybody in the MWC land?

Exactly.
I guess I don't understand your point. How many top 20 players of ANY state (outside of maybe Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas and Delaware) does any G5 program pull in? Boise might get a couple, but other than that...

That's not who we will ever be, so I don't expect that.
I guess I don't understand the point. I'm NOT saying abandon utah altogether. But is it good recruiting sense to pass on an a higher rated out-of-state kid JUST to take a lower rated kid from utah in order to appease the fans?
Definitely not, but Utah should be thoroughly canvassed every year. That's all I'm saying
Years ago, I had people in Logan and the surrounding area tell me they had no interest in "going to watch a bunch of Californians play" when I asked them why they didn't attend games. I don't know if this is still a prevalent attitude up there? That may be one advantage to taking a marginal local kid over a marginal out-of-state kid. You may get an attendance boost (or take an attendance hit if you completely ignore Utah kids in recruiting). Fans like to feel a connection to the players they support.
I think that mindset has changed.
I sure hope so...



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 10673
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 6598 times
Been thanked: 4054 times
Contact:

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by aggies22 » December 11th, 2020, 10:19 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:38 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 10:36 am
slcagg wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 10:28 am
Here is there commit list. Be curious if maybe the Texas kids follow him.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas- ... l/Commits/
Ideally, he'll bring a couple but most importantly he'll keep those we have committed.
I've only had one current commit confirm that he is signing next week.
I'm now up to three confirmations.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 6):
splintorbslcagghvaggienewtonianblueUSU783rdGenAggie



Donman
Posts: 2636
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 9:49 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by Donman » December 11th, 2020, 10:35 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 10:19 am
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:38 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 10:36 am
slcagg wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 10:28 am
Here is there commit list. Be curious if maybe the Texas kids follow him.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas- ... l/Commits/
Ideally, he'll bring a couple but most importantly he'll keep those we have committed.
I've only had one current commit confirm that he is signing next week.
I'm now up to three confirmations.
Have they been reached out to by the new coach?



slcagg
Posts: 6314
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1350 times
Been thanked: 1072 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by slcagg » December 11th, 2020, 10:37 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 10:19 am
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:38 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 10:36 am
slcagg wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 10:28 am
Here is there commit list. Be curious if maybe the Texas kids follow him.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas- ... l/Commits/
Ideally, he'll bring a couple but most importantly he'll keep those we have committed.
I've only had one current commit confirm that he is signing next week.
I'm now up to three confirmations.
I hope one of them is juice
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
3rdGenAggie



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 6072
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 438 times
Contact:

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by TheAKAggie » December 11th, 2020, 11:04 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:Blake is a good coach. I think Arkansas State is a tough gig and I have to think there's a bit of stalemate that has set in with him being there for a while.

This year is an odd year. Prior to this he'd never won fewer than 7 games. If we never won fewer than 7 games here we'd all be ecstatic.
Crap, agree with Roy twice in a week. G5 consistency is huge as opposed to our ebb and flow the past 10 Years.

And Anderson is not brining much from Arkansas state, expect a presence from recently fired SEC staffs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO


Hail Aggies!

AggiePT
Posts: 181
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Has thanked: 409 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by AggiePT » December 11th, 2020, 11:06 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 11:04 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:Blake is a good coach. I think Arkansas State is a tough gig and I have to think there's a bit of stalemate that has set in with him being there for a while.

This year is an odd year. Prior to this he'd never won fewer than 7 games. If we never won fewer than 7 games here we'd all be ecstatic.
Crap, agree with Roy twice in a week. G5 consistency is huge as opposed to our ebb and flow the past 10 Years.

And Anderson is not brining much from Arkansas state, expect a presence from recently fired SEC staffs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like the sound of that! That should bring a lot of player transfer interest from all over the south in the next few weeks, right?



User avatar
Aggieiester
Posts: 526
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 10:11 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by Aggieiester » December 11th, 2020, 11:16 am

Yossarian wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:38 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:26 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:24 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:57 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:54 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:49 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:09 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:59 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:46 pm
I'd like to see Maile stay as AHC if he's willing and maybe Collins could be special teams and position coach as well as Bojay and DJ staying on staff. I think the most important hire will be Defensive Coordinator as Anderson seems to be more involved on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe Yost will be available to bring back as OC. Seems Anderson likes offense and Yost's style may suit his philosophy ok.
I agree but highly doubt it will happen. One thing we have to keep is our Poly pipeline and recruiting the State of Utah.
Why do we need to recruit Utah? Why is that a focus?
Because there are lots of good players that come out of Utah and we have a leg up on getting many of them compared with out of state programs. Why would you NOT focus on recruiting Utah?
Look and see how many of the top 20 players in Utah we actually land.
What do you mean? How many top 20 Utah players does anybody in the MWC land?

Exactly.
I guess I don't understand your point. How many top 20 players of ANY state (outside of maybe Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas and Delaware) does any G5 program pull in? Boise might get a couple, but other than that...

That's not who we will ever be, so I don't expect that.
I guess I don't understand the point. I'm NOT saying abandon utah altogether. But is it good recruiting sense to pass on an a higher rated out-of-state kid JUST to take a lower rated kid from utah in order to appease the fans?
Definitely not, but Utah should be thoroughly canvassed every year. That's all I'm saying
Years ago, I had people in Logan and the surrounding area tell me they had no interest in "going to watch a bunch of Californians play" when I asked them why they didn't attend games. I don't know if this is still a prevalent attitude up there? That may be one advantage to taking a marginal local kid over a marginal out-of-state kid. You may get an attendance boost (or take an attendance hit if you completely ignore Utah kids in recruiting). Fans like to feel a connection to the players they support.
Yes, years ago I had people tell me the same thing, then when there were more players from Utah the problem was that we didn't play in a conference with interesting schools, then when we joined the MWC they didn't like the start times and ticket prices. There are a lot of people in Logan that talk the talk but don't walk the walk.
These users thanked the author Aggieiester for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkFull



Old Timer
Posts: 75
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 6:17 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by Old Timer » December 11th, 2020, 12:42 pm

It seems a local Jet is on its way to Jonesboro Arkansas
These users thanked the author Old Timer for the post:
BLUERUFiO



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6758
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 570 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 11th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Old Timer wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 12:42 pm
It seems a local Jet is on its way to Jonesboro Arkansas
Not just a local jet, but one owned by Cache Valley Electric.

https://flightaware.com/live/findflight ... ation=KJBR


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

tinplater
Posts: 655
Joined: September 1st, 2013, 8:07 am
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by tinplater » December 11th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 11:16 am
Yossarian wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:38 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:26 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:24 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:57 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:54 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:49 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:09 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:59 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:46 pm
I'd like to see Maile stay as AHC if he's willing and maybe Collins could be special teams and position coach as well as Bojay and DJ staying on staff. I think the most important hire will be Defensive Coordinator as Anderson seems to be more involved on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe Yost will be available to bring back as OC. Seems Anderson likes offense and Yost's style may suit his philosophy ok.
I agree but highly doubt it will happen. One thing we have to keep is our Poly pipeline and recruiting the State of Utah.
Why do we need to recruit Utah? Why is that a focus?
Because there are lots of good players that come out of Utah and we have a leg up on getting many of them compared with out of state programs. Why would you NOT focus on recruiting Utah?
Look and see how many of the top 20 players in Utah we actually land.
What do you mean? How many top 20 Utah players does anybody in the MWC land?

Exactly.
I guess I don't understand your point. How many top 20 players of ANY state (outside of maybe Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas and Delaware) does any G5 program pull in? Boise might get a couple, but other than that...

That's not who we will ever be, so I don't expect that.
I guess I don't understand the point. I'm NOT saying abandon utah altogether. But is it good recruiting sense to pass on an a higher rated out-of-state kid JUST to take a lower rated kid from utah in order to appease the fans?
Definitely not, but Utah should be thoroughly canvassed every year. That's all I'm saying
Years ago, I had people in Logan and the surrounding area tell me they had no interest in "going to watch a bunch of Californians play" when I asked them why they didn't attend games. I don't know if this is still a prevalent attitude up there? That may be one advantage to taking a marginal local kid over a marginal out-of-state kid. You may get an attendance boost (or take an attendance hit if you completely ignore Utah kids in recruiting). Fans like to feel a connection to the players they support.
Yes, years ago I had people tell me the same thing, then when there were more players from Utah the problem was that we didn't play in a conference with interesting schools, then when we joined the MWC they didn't like the start times and ticket prices. There are a lot of people in Logan that talk the talk but don't walk the walk.
When John Ralston came to USU he brought a herd of California athletes with him or recruited them during his tenure. To the extent that some referred to USU as The University of California at Logan. Attendance soared because we won and were nationally ranked. If the boys are winning, no one cares where they came from.
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post:
USU78



Aggie84025
Posts: 3064
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1037 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2020, 1:19 pm

tinplater wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 1:16 pm
Aggieiester wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 11:16 am
Yossarian wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:38 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:26 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:24 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:57 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:54 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:49 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:09 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:59 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:46 pm
I'd like to see Maile stay as AHC if he's willing and maybe Collins could be special teams and position coach as well as Bojay and DJ staying on staff. I think the most important hire will be Defensive Coordinator as Anderson seems to be more involved on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe Yost will be available to bring back as OC. Seems Anderson likes offense and Yost's style may suit his philosophy ok.
I agree but highly doubt it will happen. One thing we have to keep is our Poly pipeline and recruiting the State of Utah.
Why do we need to recruit Utah? Why is that a focus?
Because there are lots of good players that come out of Utah and we have a leg up on getting many of them compared with out of state programs. Why would you NOT focus on recruiting Utah?
Look and see how many of the top 20 players in Utah we actually land.
What do you mean? How many top 20 Utah players does anybody in the MWC land?

Exactly.
I guess I don't understand your point. How many top 20 players of ANY state (outside of maybe Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas and Delaware) does any G5 program pull in? Boise might get a couple, but other than that...

That's not who we will ever be, so I don't expect that.
I guess I don't understand the point. I'm NOT saying abandon utah altogether. But is it good recruiting sense to pass on an a higher rated out-of-state kid JUST to take a lower rated kid from utah in order to appease the fans?
Definitely not, but Utah should be thoroughly canvassed every year. That's all I'm saying
Years ago, I had people in Logan and the surrounding area tell me they had no interest in "going to watch a bunch of Californians play" when I asked them why they didn't attend games. I don't know if this is still a prevalent attitude up there? That may be one advantage to taking a marginal local kid over a marginal out-of-state kid. You may get an attendance boost (or take an attendance hit if you completely ignore Utah kids in recruiting). Fans like to feel a connection to the players they support.
Yes, years ago I had people tell me the same thing, then when there were more players from Utah the problem was that we didn't play in a conference with interesting schools, then when we joined the MWC they didn't like the start times and ticket prices. There are a lot of people in Logan that talk the talk but don't walk the walk.
When John Ralston came to USU he brought a herd of California athletes with him or recruited them during his tenure. To the extent that some referred to USU as The University of California at Logan. Attendance soared because we won and were nationally ranked. If the boys are winning, no one cares where they came from.
this is how i feel as well. all i want is for the program to be successful. i don't care where the players are from so long as they are good players/people on the field, do well in school and are good ambassadors in the community. now if a player is from Utah and they do those things then even better.



...
Posts: 25
Joined: December 4th, 2020, 8:56 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by ... » December 11th, 2020, 1:34 pm

He could recruit 100 handicap chinese transgenders for all I care... if he wins, I'll keep showing up.



seabass
Posts: 79
Joined: August 6th, 2017, 7:53 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by seabass » December 11th, 2020, 1:37 pm

One school of thought is local kids are more likely to stay until they graduate vs. out of state guys that aren’t used to the culture, get homesick,etc. and leave early.
But I don’t think this has been an issue since probably pre GA 1.0. It seems like there were a few Texas kids that left early in the Brent Guy years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



BustaMcNutt
Posts: 295
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 3:53 pm
Has thanked: 660 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by BustaMcNutt » December 11th, 2020, 1:41 pm

seabass wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 1:37 pm
One school of thought is local kids are more likely to stay until they graduate vs. out of state guys that aren’t used to the culture, get homesick,etc. and leave early.
But I don’t think this has been an issue since probably pre GA 1.0. It seems like there were a few Texas kids that left early in the Brent Guy years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this is the best argument for recruiting Utah. How many kids do we have that have left the team are from Utah? Warren is the only one off the top of my head. I do think winning often cures homesickness.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 4430
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 334 times
Been thanked: 774 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 11th, 2020, 2:11 pm

I would agree that anyone who says they wouldn't watch players from California are just using it as an excuse to not go and would use another excuse if all the players were from Utah. Some people won't go to games even if we go undefeated every year. That is fine. There is enough that will.

We win, we'll get a full stadium no matter where the players are from. It is that simple.



Astate4life
Posts: 2
Joined: December 10th, 2020, 5:46 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Blake Anderson??

Post by Astate4life » December 11th, 2020, 5:58 pm

slcagg wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 6:01 am
Astate4life wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:01 am
Elkaggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:43 pm
arkstfan wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Hearing Kyle Cefalo is coming with him. You will love him. Once he took over WR they became beasts blocking and fighting for the ball. Your WRs will improve
Something we need very badly. Thanks for your insights!
Plus he is a recruiting machine and has contacts everywhere. We are/were in the hunt for a 4* db in Alabama. Just pray Blake leaves most of his D staff behind unless you want the opponents to score in the 40s, 50s and roll up 500/600 yds offense
What recruit are you referring to?
Fegans kid from Oxford, Ala. Rated 4* db, every SEC and Arkansas State are in the running Arkansas-state the only G5 being considered, until now probably.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic