Knight Commission endorses FBS split from NCAA

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieBlues

Knight Commission endorses FBS split from NCAA

Post by AggieBlues » December 4th, 2020, 2:41 am

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/knight-co ... %20entity.

Excerpts:
A commission of college athletics leaders recommended Thursday that the best way to repair the NCAA's "broken governance model" is to remove the teams of the Football Bowl Subdivision from the association, forcing the top level of college football to govern itself as a separate entity.

The Knight Commission, a reform-minded independent group of university presidents, former athletic directors and others, spent the past year studying the current state of college sports before making its recommendation.
The commission does not have any authority to enact change in college sports, but its leaders hope Thursday's recommendation will serve as "an essential first step" in what they see as a needed overhaul of how college sports are governed.
Under this proposed plan, all other sports at those FBS schools would remain under the NCAA's governance system. That includes college basketball and its March Madness tournament, which remains the largest revenue source for the NCAA.

Lower levels of football would also remain under the NCAA's purview.
"Change is coming," he said. "Whether that's at the state level or federal level, change is coming to college athletics. It's absolutely in the NCAA's interest to control their own fate and to lead. I don't want to say this is their last opportunity to do that, but I will say they are running out of time."
Bring it on. Time to end the farce that is the NCAA and FBS relationship. Let us play for the NCAA Football Championship at a reasonably competitive budget.

One can dream of some fanciful future where relegation and sensible conference realignment occurs for decades into the future. That doesn't bring me joy. Playing with a reasonable chance to win against like competition brings me joy.

The amount of energy necessary to refute bull pucky is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.

ShowMeAggie

Re: Knight Commission endorses FBS split from NCAA

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 4th, 2020, 9:37 am

It sounds to me like the recommendation (for now, at least!) was to NOT exclude the G5 schools from this (messy) separation. Did I read that right?

Do you think that's how this ends up, or is any momentum in this direction going to ultimately carry us towards a secondary divorce of P5 from G5 as well?

Additionally: IF/when this separation of FBS and the NCAA happens, does USU try to find a spot with the big boys, or do we "accept our lot" and settle in with other geographically and ideologically aligned institutions and do college athletics like they were originally intended to be done?

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 4th, 2020, 9:45 am

ShowMeAggie wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 9:37 am
It sounds to me like the recommendation (for now, at least!) was to NOT exclude the G5 schools from this (messy) separation. Did I read that right?

Do you think that's how this ends up, or is any momentum in this direction going to ultimately carry us towards a secondary divorce of P5 from G5 as well?

Additionally: IF/when this separation of FBS and the NCAA happens, does USU try to find a spot with the big boys, or do we "accept our lot" and settle in with other geographically and ideologically aligned institutions and do college athletics like they were originally intended to be done?
I think in the end the top half of the P5 schools break off and go almost semipro. Essentially you would have 2 conferences with 16 teams each.

When that happens I think Utah State ends up with schools like Washington State and Oregon State, which they have much more in common with (academically and athletically) than Washington State and USC do.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
ShowMeAggieaggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 4th, 2020, 10:01 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 9:45 am
ShowMeAggie wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 9:37 am

I think in the end the top half of the P5 schools break off and go almost semipro. Essentially you would have 2 conferences with 16 teams each.

When that happens I think Utah State ends up with schools like Washington State and Oregon State, which they have much more in common with (academically and athletically) than Washington State and USC do.
This makes a lot of sense actually. The top 20 teams or so really lift up the teams you mention. So why not just drop them.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 4th, 2020, 10:09 am

Well there will probably legal problems with the semi-pro idea with taxes and such. Athletics would have to be a separate entity from the university and probably be for-profit. Some programs would flourish under this model, but most would get wrecked.

The most logical thing to me is to drop some regulations and if students want to play professionally or semi-pro then they would go straight into the NFL or D-League type thing.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 4th, 2020, 10:48 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 10:09 am
Well there will probably legal problems with the semi-pro idea with taxes and such. Athletics would have to be a separate entity from the university and probably be for-profit. Some programs would flourish under this model, but most would get wrecked.

The most logical thing to me is to drop some regulations and if students want to play professionally or semi-pro then they would go straight into the NFL or D-League type thing.
That is why I think the top half of the P5 would do it, because they could separate the football team from the university it would be similar to university Futball teams in Latin America (Pumas in Mexico would be a good example, though there is nothing semi-pro about Pumas). The Washington States and Iowa States could not possible do it.

You could create a new D-League for the NFL but the Texas Longhorns have a much larger brand than any D-league team will ever have.

In the end I think it will be better for everyone involved, especially for schools like Washington State. There is no way the current model of spending millions of dollars to keep up in the Pac 12 is sustainable for the university.

sammyhagar
Has thanked: 0

Knight Commission

Post by sammyhagar » December 4th, 2020, 10:57 am

Full

Re: Knight Commission

Post by Full » December 4th, 2020, 11:12 am

If this goes through does that mean no FBS/FCS games. That would be my biggest worry, and honestly the majority of P5 teams would be effected.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic