Pitch Man

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
splintorb
Posts: 326
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Pitch Man

Post by splintorb » December 3rd, 2020, 9:44 pm

How many times do we not cover the pitch? I really don’t understand this...where are the corners?? Are they not on the line??



splintorb
Posts: 326
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Pitch Man

Post by splintorb » December 3rd, 2020, 9:45 pm

Why do we have no one going on the pitch man?? Even the announcers are baffled! Where are the corners??



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 1360
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has thanked: 1174 times
Been thanked: 491 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 3rd, 2020, 9:48 pm

Actually in this forum we’re supposed to complain about not being able to break the press.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
brossp24Real Life Aggie



User avatar
Turtle
Posts: 312
Joined: December 11th, 2018, 7:10 pm
Has thanked: 160 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by Turtle » December 3rd, 2020, 9:57 pm

We are doing great at stopping them through the line of scrimmage but they are KILLING us on every pitch.. I don't know why we haven't made adjustments.



splintorb
Posts: 326
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by splintorb » December 3rd, 2020, 9:59 pm

Is Maile still helping with defensive play calls?



aggiesdidwhat
Posts: 616
Joined: July 14th, 2013, 12:18 pm
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by aggiesdidwhat » December 3rd, 2020, 10:01 pm

It's terrible. Pitch man open every play.



splintorb
Posts: 326
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by splintorb » December 3rd, 2020, 10:02 pm

It honestly looks like 0 adjustment has been made...



splintorb
Posts: 326
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by splintorb » December 3rd, 2020, 10:03 pm

Haha wrong forum!! My bad guys!!



kdjcpa
Posts: 12
Joined: September 26th, 2012, 6:40 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pitch Man

Post by kdjcpa » December 3rd, 2020, 10:07 pm

No adjustments to AF for years.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11158
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7154 times
Been thanked: 4751 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by aggies22 » December 3rd, 2020, 11:19 pm

splintorb wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 9:59 pm
Is Maile still helping with defensive play calls?
No.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11158
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7154 times
Been thanked: 4751 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by aggies22 » December 3rd, 2020, 11:20 pm

splintorb wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 9:45 pm
Why do we have no one going on the pitch man?? Even the announcers are baffled! Where are the corners??
Corners need to play the pitch. Safeties take the WR if they release.



hickaggie
Posts: 3303
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 274 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by hickaggie » December 3rd, 2020, 11:28 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 11:20 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 9:45 pm
Why do we have no one going on the pitch man?? Even the announcers are baffled! Where are the corners??
Corners need to play the pitch. Safeties take the WR if they release.
It looked like that our corners were supposed to go pitch but had pass first reads too and got their asses blocked 10 yards down the field by AFA receivers. I say supposed to because they didn't even appear to be doing that most of the time. You are right except for I think you need to have Bond and the other good hitting safety swap positions with the corners against AFA. After all it wasn't their wideouts that were torching us in the pass games. It was their inside receivers and TEs.

Water under the bridge though. wow that was embarrasing.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 4):
aggies22IntermeddlerPIGSKINAGGIE3rdGenAggie



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11158
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7154 times
Been thanked: 4751 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by aggies22 » December 3rd, 2020, 11:35 pm

You're so angry you lost track of your forums my Aggie brother!



ususports
Posts: 1691
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 522 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by ususports » December 4th, 2020, 3:40 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 11:20 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 9:45 pm
Why do we have no one going on the pitch man?? Even the announcers are baffled! Where are the corners??
Corners need to play the pitch. Safeties take the WR if they release.
It seems relevant to bring up that Maile's defensive strategy (that he must have learned from Brent Guy--his coach when he played) is to have our corners line up a few hundred yards away from the line of scrimmage for normal pass protection. That meant when AF made the pitch, our corners were holding up traffic on 1400 north when AF was going toward the north endzone, and they were in the Logan cemetery when AF was going toward the south endzone. Not the best position to make a tackle.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0aggies22BEEF99



Yossarian
Posts: 4982
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 925 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by Yossarian » December 4th, 2020, 10:05 am

USU coaches need to go review the tape from the 2013 and 2014 seasons. Our first conference game in the MWC was the second game of the year in 2013. I can remember a lot of people saying that USU would not fare well playing Air Force and the triple option offense. The Aggies handily beat Air Force that game and held them to 162 yards rushing. The next year, the Aggies held them to 155 yards rushing. They were ready for the triple option offense and guys played their assignments and tackled. Someone needs to show them the tapes for those games.



AgMan21
Posts: 1487
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:01 pm
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by AgMan21 » December 4th, 2020, 10:34 am

Seriously though, was that a strategic choice not to cover the pitch man? Cause it didn't work. I'm genuinely confused why you wouldn't practice that coverage all week when you are playing Air Force. Can anyone enlighten me?



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1430
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 497 times
Been thanked: 687 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by Sl7vk » December 4th, 2020, 10:36 am

AgMan21 wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 10:34 am
Seriously though, was that a strategic choice not to cover the pitch man? Cause it didn't work. I'm genuinely confused why you wouldn't practice that coverage all week when you are playing Air Force. Can anyone enlighten me?
Bad coaching.



splintorb
Posts: 326
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by splintorb » December 4th, 2020, 10:39 am

AgMan21 wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 10:34 am
Seriously though, was that a strategic choice not to cover the pitch man? Cause it didn't work. I'm genuinely confused why you wouldn't practice that coverage all week when you are playing Air Force. Can anyone enlighten me?
Either bad coaching, or just a young defensive team that forgot their assignments...



BustaMcNutt
Posts: 302
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 3:53 pm
Has thanked: 731 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by BustaMcNutt » December 4th, 2020, 10:44 am

I have a hard time believing they forgot their assignment if it was never covered. Surely someone would've done it right and had it covered at least one time. When it's everytime I think that's just bad scheme/coaching.



Yossarian
Posts: 4982
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 925 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by Yossarian » December 4th, 2020, 10:48 am

The commentator in the game last night just seemed dumbfounded (like the rest of us) that USU's strategy was to ask the outside linebacker to stick with the quarterback long enough to force the pitch, and then have to sprint out and stop the pitch man - one guy defending two. It didn't work too well.



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 591
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 4th, 2020, 10:56 am

Yossarian wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 10:05 am
USU coaches need to go review the tape from the 2013 and 2014 seasons. Our first conference game in the MWC was the second game of the year in 2013. I can remember a lot of people saying that USU would not fare well playing Air Force and the triple option offense. The Aggies handily beat Air Force that game and held them to 162 yards rushing. The next year, the Aggies held them to 155 yards rushing. They were ready for the triple option offense and guys played their assignments and tackled. Someone needs to show them the tapes for those games.
Are there any more vigil brothers? Or can we somehow clone Fackrell? Because that might have been the biggest difference.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 6066
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 349 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 4th, 2020, 11:04 am

Yossarian wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 10:05 am
USU coaches need to go review the tape from the 2013 and 2014 seasons. Our first conference game in the MWC was the second game of the year in 2013. I can remember a lot of people saying that USU would not fare well playing Air Force and the triple option offense. The Aggies handily beat Air Force that game and held them to 162 yards rushing. The next year, the Aggies held them to 155 yards rushing. They were ready for the triple option offense and guys played their assignments and tackled. Someone needs to show them the tapes for those games.




User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5743
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 354 times
Been thanked: 806 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by Aglicious » December 4th, 2020, 11:30 am

Yossarian wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 10:48 am
The commentator in the game last night just seemed dumbfounded (like the rest of us) that USU's strategy was to ask the outside linebacker to stick with the quarterback long enough to force the pitch, and then have to sprint out and stop the pitch man - one guy defending two. It didn't work too well.
It was pretty funny to listen to his comments, especially as the game wore on. He went from seeming baffled by what we were doing at the start to finally just throwing his hands up and saying "I think this is Utah State's plan". I lost track of how many times he said "I just don't understand". Yeah buddy, we all were like :wtf: .
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
Yossariansam tingeyUSU78



hickaggie
Posts: 3303
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 274 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by hickaggie » December 4th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Aglicious wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 11:30 am
Yossarian wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 10:48 am
The commentator in the game last night just seemed dumbfounded (like the rest of us) that USU's strategy was to ask the outside linebacker to stick with the quarterback long enough to force the pitch, and then have to sprint out and stop the pitch man - one guy defending two. It didn't work too well.
It was pretty funny to listen to his comments, especially as the game wore on. He went from seeming baffled by what we were doing at the start to finally just throwing his hands up and saying "I think this is Utah State's plan". I lost track of how many times he said "I just don't understand". Yeah buddy, we all were like :wtf: .
I think technically the corners were supposed to have pitch but they played off the ball and never attacked while AFA's receivers blocked them 20 yards downfield.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
USU78



Elkaggie
Posts: 4231
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 335 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by Elkaggie » December 4th, 2020, 12:22 pm

Thanks just shot my morning watching these. Man I forgot how dominant on both sides of the ball we used to be. That was fun to watch that was complete and udder (haha) domination! Man we were good.

Couple things. We had a great DLine that had size but could also run and pursue the ball on the edge but our LB play was unreal. What is Z. Vigil doing now couldn’t he come coach the LB’s?



User avatar
AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG
Posts: 6429
Joined: January 10th, 2003, 12:00 am
Location: northeast Iowa
Has thanked: 417 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by AGinNEIowa » December 4th, 2020, 12:56 pm

splintorb wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 10:03 pm
Haha wrong forum!! My bad guys!!
anohter moderator moved the one from the BBall forum to Football, then since both were getting commented on, I combined the two - so the first few posts in the thread are looking funny.


2020 PICK'EM GOOGLE Docs -
BOWLS (pick entry)

WEEK 15 (results)

User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 9687
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2681 times
Been thanked: 815 times

Re: Pitch Man

Post by USU78 » December 4th, 2020, 1:24 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 12:56 pm
splintorb wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 10:03 pm
Haha wrong forum!! My bad guys!!
anohter moderator moved the one from the BBall forum to Football, then since both were getting commented on, I combined the two - so the first few posts in the thread are looking funny.
Funnier still is somebody looking at threads might well think we're talking about this guy:



You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic