Logan High Sargent to WYO!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bullseye66
Has thanked: 0

Logan High Sargent to WYO!

Post by bullseye66 » November 25th, 2020, 7:09 am

Anyone know why we let the Cowboys come into our backyard and snatch a 6'2" receiver out of Logan. Why Laramie over Logan....Are we in such a shi_ show :puke: that even local kids smell the mess?

Anyone with info on how this happened and is Sargent someone we could of used? Cooley turned out damm good and not many offered him out of Logan High..but usu did

Go Aggies!

slcagg

Re: Logan High Sargent to WYO!

Post by slcagg » November 25th, 2020, 7:18 am

bullseye66 wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 7:09 am
Anyone know why we let the Cowboys come into our backyard and snatch a 6'2" receiver out of Logan. Why Laramie over Logan....Are we in such a shi_ show :puke: that even local kids smell the mess?

Anyone with info on how this happened and is Sargent someone we could of used? Cooley turned out damm good and not many offered him out of Logan High..but usu did

Go Aggies!
I remember in an interview with 22 a while back he said he wanted to get away from the valley. This was before we offered. And I can’t imagine getting away somewhere means Laramie Wyoming unless you were an outlaw in the 1800s. I’m guessing part of it is coaching situation. I find it unfortunate.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 25th, 2020, 7:59 am

We offered late that might have something to do with it. My daughter is friends with him and went to his ‘decision’ yesterday. We were in his top 5 (USU, WYO, NO. COL, WEBER) she can’t remember the other. She said he thought his opportunity to play would be better at WYO.

I have seen him play a couple games and I like his game. Good size, decent speed. Once he gets in the weight room he could be really good. I actually liked him better as a Corner than a WR but it’s too bad either way we couldn’t land him.

splintorb

Post by splintorb » November 25th, 2020, 8:14 am

If you don’t think WYO is in better shape than our current situation...you’re dreamin...
These users thanked the author splintorb for the post:
BLUERUFiO

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 25th, 2020, 8:29 am

splintorb wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 8:14 am
If you don’t think WYO is in better shape than our current situation...you’re dreamin...
Anybody think it would help our current situation if we had a coach?

:sarcasm:

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 25th, 2020, 9:19 am

We haven't yet heard from oleble, and think he is a good judge of prep talent, especially in Cache Valley. I would wait for him to weigh in.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 25th, 2020, 9:26 am

Good for him.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 25th, 2020, 9:28 am

bullseye66 wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 7:09 am

Go Aggies!
He's a wide receiver and we are currently a team with three redshirt freshman QBs that have NEVER STARTED an FBS game and we average 100 yards per game passing.

It doesn't have to be this way forever but this is the harsh reality of our program right now.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
slcaggoleblu111

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » November 25th, 2020, 11:24 am

2004AG wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 8:29 am
splintorb wrote:
Anybody think it would help our current situation if we had a coach?

:sarcasm:
Yes. Logan High Sargent to WYO Tips Job to Canales
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post (total 2):
Sl7vk2004AG

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 25th, 2020, 12:16 pm

He is a good receiver with good size and good speed. He stated that he did not want to go to college in Logan, also our program is in a state of flux. Bohl has been at Wyoming for 6 or 7 years now he makes $600,000 more than what we pay our coach so he most likely will be there for some time. Wyoming has built A athletic complex that is better than what we have at USU.

i would have recruited him to USU , but I'm not sure we would have got him regardless. I understand why he wants to leave the valley to go to school.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 25th, 2020, 12:31 pm

oleblu111 wrote:He is a good receiver with good size and good speed. He stated that he did not want to go to college in Logan, also our program is in a state of flux. Bohl has been at Wyoming for 6 or 7 years now he makes $600,000 more than what we pay our coach so he most likely will be there for some time. Wyoming has built A athletic complex that is better than what we have at USU.

i would have recruited him to USU , but I'm not sure we would have got him regardless. I understand why he wants to leave the valley to go to school.
If he wanted to leave the valley, there was nothing we could do.

I doubt how much Bohl makes factored into the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » November 25th, 2020, 12:33 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 12:16 pm
He is a good receiver with good size and good speed. He stated that he did not want to go to college in Logan, also our program is in a state of flux. Bohl has been at Wyoming for 6 or 7 years now he makes $600,000 more than what we pay our coach so he most likely will be there for some time. Wyoming has built A athletic complex that is better than what we have at USU.

Ole blu, I appreciate your take on things. Wyo is in better shape than USU athletically. Help me out with what may be contributing factors:
1. How much is due to 50 additional years of WAC/MWC membership?
2. How much is due to the fact they are the only game in Wyo?
3. How much fossil fuel revenue goes to athletics either directly or indirectly through the University?
4. How much is Wyo subsidized with institutional help in general (excluding student fees)?

Honest questions, no agenda.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 25th, 2020, 1:15 pm

AngusAg wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 12:33 pm
oleblu111 wrote:

Ole blu, I appreciate your take on things. Wyo is in better shape than USU athletically. Help me out with what may be contributing factors:
3. How much fossil fuel revenue goes to athletics either directly or indirectly through the University?
4. How much is Wyo subsidized with institutional help in general (excluding student fees)?

1. I can not answer the first question, but it may help
2. They are the only game, but their alums and fans are willing to travel and support their school.
3. I can not answer that question.
4. They spend about the same institutional money as we do Here is another stat, Ticket sales for all athletic events Wyo $4 million, USU $2 million, Donations Wyo $10 million. USU $6.5 million, University spending $18 million for both schools.

Keep in mind we have more than double the alums living within 100 miles of Logan as what Wyoming has, and 3 times the population in Cache valley as they have in their county. Wyoming is in better overall shape due to the factors you and I have pointed out, however we as fans can and should do much more.

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » November 25th, 2020, 1:43 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 1:15 pm
AngusAg wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 12:33 pm
oleblu111 wrote:

1. I can not answer the first question, but it may help
2. They are the only game, but their alums and fans are willing to travel and support their school.
3. I can not answer that question.
4. They spend about the same institutional money as we do Here is another stat, Ticket sales for all athletic events Wyo $4 million, USU $2 million, Donations Wyo $10 million. USU $6.5 million, University spending $18 million for both schools.

Keep in mind we have more than double the alums living within 100 miles of Logan as what Wyoming has, and 3 times the population in Cache valley as they have in their county. Wyoming is in better overall shape due to the factors you and I have pointed out, however we as fans can and should do much more.
Thank you, sir. I think disengaged alums have a lot to do with no. 1. I also think its huge to be the only game in town. WTS, we can do a lot better.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 25th, 2020, 2:25 pm

splintorb wrote:
I don’t totally agree with this. In the last decade we are 6-2 vs the Cowboys and have been to 8 bowl games and they have been to 4. Things are definitely down now for us but it’s not like they are world beaters either at 1-2. We didn’t play this year which likely would have been a loss but I still think we are in a better situation than what many here think.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
2004AG

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » November 25th, 2020, 2:40 pm

According to Wikipedia (I know, take it with a few grains of salt), Wyoming has the largest endowment in the MWC at $550.9 million (and second smallest enrollment), with a nearly $100 million lead over New Mexico. USU is third at $375.4 million. Given our lack of law and medicine graduate programs, especially compared to other schools in the conference that have one or both of these graduate programs, we are doing well financially overall as a university. But our athletic budget really lags behind, even with substantial improvements over the last decade.

Hopefully two things happen. First, with students over the last decade generally having a strong football program to be excited about we are able to leverage that in the coming years into increased athletic donations once those students are more established in their careers. That really requires keeping those graduates connected to USU somehow, which plays into the second thing. Second, we really need to turn the football ship around to not sink the momentum and excitement established over the last decade.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 25th, 2020, 2:58 pm

bwcrc wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 2:40 pm
According to Wikipedia (I know, take it with a few grains of salt), Wyoming has the largest endowment in the MWC at $550.9 million (and second smallest enrollment), with a nearly $100 million lead over New Mexico. USU is third at $375.4 million. Given our lack of law and medicine graduate programs, especially compared to other schools in the conference that have one or both of these graduate programs, we are doing well financially overall as a university. But our athletic budget really lags behind, even with substantial improvements over the last decade.

Hopefully two things happen. First, with students over the last decade generally having a strong football program to be excited about we are able to leverage that in the coming years into increased athletic donations once those students are more established in their careers. That really requires keeping those graduates connected to USU somehow, which plays into the second thing. Second, we really need to turn the football ship around to not sink the momentum and excitement established over the last decade.
How much better would USU be if you had a complete Vet program, and why do you not have one ?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 25th, 2020, 3:27 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 2:58 pm
bwcrc wrote:

How much better would USU be if you had a complete Vet program, and why do you not have one ?
This is an inexplicable travesty. The deal with Washington State helps, but USU should have a full vet school at the Logan campus.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
oleblu111

Eutaw St. Aggie

splintorb

Post by splintorb » November 26th, 2020, 9:39 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 2:25 pm
splintorb wrote:
I don’t totally agree with this. In the last decade we are 6-2 vs the Cowboys and have been to 8 bowl games and they have been to 4. Things are definitely down now for us but it’s not like they are world beaters either at 1-2. We didn’t play this year which likely would have been a loss but I still think we are in a better situation than what many here think.
Nothing to do with previous years and a current record. But...now after seeing some positive play calling and a QB that was able to throw the ball over 5 yards...I’m guessing that makes him a little sad.

But all in all, he didn’t want to stay in the Valley, and who knows how many of the staff will remain.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 27th, 2020, 7:33 am

I talked to Jaylen yesterday. As he told me when we spoke for the recruiting spotlight that I wrote on him, he really wanted to leave the valley. Wyoming has been recruiting him hard for a awhile and he really liked the coaches and their plans for him.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
slcaggFloridaAggie13

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » November 27th, 2020, 8:01 am

Yossarian wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 3:27 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
bwcrc wrote:

This is an inexplicable travesty. The deal with Washington State helps, but USU should have a full vet school at the Logan campus.
My guess is not having a vet program came down not having the money to launch a program. I don't see a vet program being as lucrative to a university as a law or medical program and therefore was not much of a focus by previous administrations. There would be research and grant money that comes in, but law and medical programs are often cash cows for universities. It is my understanding that USU cannot have a law or medical program due to some deal the state has with that school in SLC. But the deal with WSU helps and, without any inside information whatsoever, I would not be surprised if we have a full vet program after any agreement with WSU ends.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 27th, 2020, 8:18 am

oleblu111 wrote:
bwcrc wrote:

I agree that a vet school makes sense. However can you help me understand why it would make usu better as a university?

I’m a big ag guy and I love ice cream so I’m all for the more agriculture opportunities. But I’m just curious on your statement.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 27th, 2020, 8:22 am

The pukes' essential control of the legislature has always been a very big thing:
1907 Fearing that the growth of the UAC will hinder the University of Utah's progress, legislators in Salt Lake City attempt to consolidate the two schools, and upon failing, instead pass a bill limiting UAC's curriculum to agriculture, domestic science, and mechanic arts. Many once-thriving programs in the arts, humanities, education, and others are closed, despite the college's initial mandate that it offer such instruction. By 1927, all curricular restrictions except law and medicine are lifted
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » November 27th, 2020, 8:35 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 7:33 am
I talked to Jaylen yesterday. As he told me when we spoke for the recruiting spotlight that I wrote on him, he really wanted to leave the valley. Wyoming has been recruiting him hard for a awhile and he really liked the coaches and their plans for him.
I cant blame a kid for wanting to move away from home. Part of the reason I went to USU was because I wanted the experience of being away from home. Nothing against my family or Salt Lake, I just wanted to be independent. I think its a good thing, my siblings that stayed home and went to the U had a totally different college experience than I did.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22sstrasser

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 27th, 2020, 2:07 pm

bwcrc wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 8:01 am
Yossarian wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
bwcrc wrote:

My guess is not having a vet program came down not having the money to launch a program. I don't see a vet program being as lucrative to a university as a law or medical program and therefore was not much of a focus by previous administrations. There would be research and grant money that comes in, but law and medical programs are often cash cows for universities. It is my understanding that USU cannot have a law or medical program due to some deal the state has with that school in SLC. But the deal with WSU helps and, without any inside information whatsoever, I would not be surprised if we have a full vet program after any agreement with WSU ends.
Yes, it was that deal with the U that has kept USU from starting a law or medical school. The state legislature defined the missions of the state schools. It is this same deal that the U has honored by not starting a college of engineering - that was to be part of USU's mission.

I live not far from Davis, CA. The vet school at UC Davis seems to be thriving.
USU78

Eutaw St. Aggie

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » November 27th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Yossarian wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 2:07 pm
bwcrc wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
bwcrc wrote:

Yes, it was that deal with the U that has kept USU from starting a law or medical school. The state legislature defined the missions of the state schools. It is this same deal that the U has honored by not starting a college of engineering - that was to be part of USU's mission.

This is a joke right? Half of my family has engineering degrees from the U.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 27th, 2020, 9:33 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 6:44 pm
Yossarian wrote:
bwcrc wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
bwcrc wrote:

The joke was Utah adhering to the agreement that they would not start a school if engineering.
LarryTheAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 27th, 2020, 10:16 pm

Yossarian wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 9:33 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 6:44 pm
Yossarian wrote:
bwcrc wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
bwcrc wrote:

The joke was Utah adhering to the agreement that they would not start a school if engineering.
The joke is the pukes' can never be trusted to do anything but lie and cheat.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieYossarian

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

deltaaggie

Post by deltaaggie » November 28th, 2020, 8:00 am

So since this agreement with the U seems to be long past. Why haven't we ever tried to start a law school? Seems like we have a ton of pre-law students who do very well after USU. I also believe that we will absolutely have our own Vet school within 5-10 years.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » November 28th, 2020, 8:11 am

the issue with the vet school is not as clear-cut as you might think. It's complex, but if you could boil it down to two main components, I think they would be 1) the MASSIVE capital investment that would be needed to get the infrastructure in place for a *real* 4-year vet program, and 2) the MASSIVE investment in people...especially clinical veterinarians...amounting to millions of dollars PER YEAR of ongoing salary and benefits commitments. The 2/2 agreement with WSU was a baby step towards a full program. We'll see how long before the state legislature, in particular, decides it can come up with the funds to support the full program. I believe it would be a long-term positive for the state financially.

Locked Previous topicNext topic