This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JonnyCienPesos

Re: Transfer Portal Explosion tips job to Canales

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 22nd, 2020, 12:54 pm

Canales will not be the coach. We can stop discussing it as a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 2):
ratofallaggiesAggie formerly in Hawaii

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 22nd, 2020, 1:07 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 12:54 pm
Canales will not be the coach. We can stop discussing it as a possibility.

You don't know that. You are welcome to not talk about it, but you don't know that.

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 22nd, 2020, 1:12 pm

David Yost is a good example of a potential candidate. Sure did a good job when he arrived to get our offense scoring. Good example of a FBS level coach who might also be a candidate. Is he interested? Not sure he would take it. Don't think we'll pay more than a P5 OC makes, especially in this Covid times.

Thank you collective board, you came up with 1 FBS candidate after multiple requests. The rest just slammed the other good FBS candidate. Can the braintrust here come up with another FBS candidate who might take the job? I don't think Yost would take the job if offered.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » November 22nd, 2020, 1:23 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 11:48 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:54 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:47 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:33 pm
CrazyAg wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 7:15 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 7:10 pm
CrazyAg wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 6:46 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 6:23 pm
So Canales has been the Utep Offensive Coordinator for the past 3 seasons. In 2018, Utep went 1-11 and had the 127th ranked scoring offense in the country. In 2019 they went 1-11 and Utep had the 119th ranked scoring offense in the country. This year they are a little better at 3-4, but have the 110th ranked scoring offense in the country.
Before that he was the QB coach at Tennessee during the 2017 season when they went 4-8 (0-8 in the SEC), in 2016 he was the Associate HC at USU where we had our worst season since 2008; before this one. From 2010-2015 he was the offensive coordinator at North Texas where during that time North Texas had a total of 1 winning season.

I 100% get that it isn't all his fault, but if we were to hire Canales we would be hiring a coach that has only been part of one winning season since he was at South Florida in 2009. I'm sorry, but we can do better.
So winning as an assistant where you are is the only factor? Seems like pretty bad tunnel vision. Does that means the only sufficient candidate we can get is someone on a run at a low level? Why not hire Corner Canyon's coach? Why would you punish him for being at a spot where he is building a program like he is doing currently, and improving it currently? Success is not a function of wins and losses as an assistant. Did you see Matt Well's win/loss before coming to USU?

If you throw out, we can do better, it would be lazy not to have a list with someone who has a better resume, and someone willing to come to USU. Name someone with a better resume, willing to take the job?
I like Chico, he is an aggie and would love to have the job. In my opinion that does not translate to being a successful head coach here. His resume is pretty good, but if it is so good how come other schools in the G5 have not given him the head coaching positions? I think we would be selling ourselves short by just giving the job to him because he has a decent resume and has worked at a lot P5 schools. Unfortunately the ship has probably sailed for him to get a head coaching job. That does not make him a bad coach, as his career has been successful. In my opinion we need an up and coming coordinator or a an established head coach at the FCS level that will ignite passion and energize the team and fanbase. I don't think Chico is that answer. I know you don't agree with that which is fine.
Up and comer from an FCS contender. Like an Arsalanian or a Dennehy? Again I'd just like to see a resume of a preferred candidate and compare it.

I compared Jay Hill’s resume and believe it’s far better than Canales. I like how Utah retained Hill for so many years. Wow, he must have been a keeper. He then takes a head coaching opportunity and leads the team to the national playoffs. I also like that he’s still in Utah.

The resumes are not comparable as Jay Hills is far stronger.

Bopping from job to job for a while is ok, but if you keep bopping around, somethings wrong.

Jay Hill has zero wins vs FBS as a head coach or coordinator
And Jay Hill only gets one or two shots a year and doesn't have FBS resources.
And the last 2 FCS coaches to move to the MW. ( Bohl and Caragher ) both had multiple FBS wins while in FCS.
Why would Jay Hill get a pass on that? Seems kind of important.
So you want to ignore everything else and focus on one thing? FBS wins at FCS schools is the only criteria when evaluating a coach ?

So you are ignoring FBS wins as a head coach or even coordinator ? That seems pretty dang important.

Jay Hill = Tony Sanchez
Same amount of FBS wins

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 22nd, 2020, 1:25 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 1:12 pm
David Yost is a good example of a potential candidate. Sure did a good job when he arrived to get our offense scoring. Good example of a FBS level coach who might also be a candidate. Is he interested? Not sure he would take it. Don't think we'll pay more than a P5 OC makes, especially in this Covid times.

Thank you collective board, you came up with 1 FBS candidate after multiple requests. The rest just slammed the other good FBS candidate. Can the braintrust here come up with another FBS candidate who might take the job? I don't think Yost would take the job if offered.
You win, Chico is by far the best candidate for the job.

My list of who i would like, not sure how much interest there is from both sides or if any of them have been contacted. In no particular order.

Andy Avalos
Jay Hill
Jeff Choate
The Sacramento State football coach
Indianas DC
Grinch from Oklahoma
Lance Anderson
Jeff Grimes
Brent Brennan
Graham Harrell
Jamie Chadwell
Arizona States OC
Notre Dames OC
Hal Mumme
James Madison head coach
Buffalos head coach
Kent States head coach

afausu

Post by afausu » November 22nd, 2020, 1:25 pm

You are something else. Not throwing out names at your incessant yapping does not mean anything. Not you, me, or most everyone on here have a clue about who may or may not be interested in the job.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 22nd, 2020, 1:29 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:
So Canales has been the Utep Offensive Coordinator for the past 3 seasons. In 2018, Utep went 1-11 and had the 127th ranked scoring offense in the country. In 2019 they went 1-11 and Utep had the 119th ranked scoring offense in the country. This year they are a little better at 3-4, but have the 110th ranked scoring offense in the country.
Before that he was the QB coach at Tennessee during the 2017 season when they went 4-8 (0-8 in the SEC), in 2016 he was the Associate HC at USU where we had our worst season since 2008; before this one. From 2010-2015 he was the offensive coordinator at North Texas where during that time North Texas had a total of 1 winning season.

I 100% get that it isn't all his fault, but if we were to hire Canales we would be hiring a coach that has only been part of one winning season since he was at South Florida in 2009. I'm sorry, but we can do better.
So winning as an assistant where you are is the only factor? Seems like pretty bad tunnel vision. Does that means the only sufficient candidate we can get is someone on a run at a low level? Why not hire Corner Canyon's coach? Why would you punish him for being at a spot where he is building a program like he is doing currently, and improving it currently? Success is not a function of wins and losses as an assistant. Did you see Matt Well's win/loss before coming to USU?

If you throw out, we can do better, it would be lazy not to have a list with someone who has a better resume, and someone willing to come to USU. Name someone with a better resume, willing to take the job?
I like Chico, he is an aggie and would love to have the job. In my opinion that does not translate to being a successful head coach here. His resume is pretty good, but if it is so good how come other schools in the G5 have not given him the head coaching positions? I think we would be selling ourselves short by just giving the job to him because he has a decent resume and has worked at a lot P5 schools. Unfortunately the ship has probably sailed for him to get a head coaching job. That does not make him a bad coach, as his career has been successful. In my opinion we need an up and coming coordinator or a an established head coach at the FCS level that will ignite passion and energize the team and fanbase. I don't think Chico is that answer. I know you don't agree with that which is fine.
Up and comer from an FCS contender. Like an Arsalanian or a Dennehy? Again I'd just like to see a resume of a preferred candidate and compare it.

I compared Jay Hill’s resume and believe it’s far better than Canales. I like how Utah retained Hill for so many years. Wow, he must have been a keeper. He then takes a head coaching opportunity and leads the team to the national playoffs. I also like that he’s still in Utah.

Bopping from job to job for a while is ok, but if you keep bopping around, somethings wrong.

And the last 2 FCS coaches to move to the MW. ( Bohl and Caragher ) both had multiple FBS wins while in FCS.
So you want to ignore everything else and focus on one thing? FBS wins at FCS schools is the only criteria when evaluating a coach ?

So you are ignoring FBS wins as a head coach or even coordinator ? That seems pretty dang important.

Jay Hill = Tony Sanchez
Same amount of FBS wins

Not as an FCS coach it’s not important. How has Hill done against his peer schools? Should we just ignore that?

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 22nd, 2020, 1:36 pm

afausu wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 1:25 pm
You are something else. Not throwing out names at your incessant yapping does not mean anything. Not you, me, or most everyone on here have a clue about who may or may not be interested in the job.
I am something else? Why get personal? Just because you don't have an answer doesn't make it yapping. I expect more out of a fellow Aggie. Find this board a little disappointing in that regard. Not a lot of intelligent responses. Some. But I expected more, instead there are a lot of insults. I expected more of Aggies than I'm getting. I didn't expect agreeing, I did expect less in the way of insulting uneducated rhetoric.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 22nd, 2020, 2:35 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 1:36 pm
afausu wrote:
I am something else? Why get personal? Just because you don't have an answer doesn't make it yapping. I expect more out of a fellow Aggie. Find this board a little disappointing in that regard. Not a lot of intelligent responses. Some. But I expected more, instead there are a lot of insults. I expected more of Aggies than I'm getting. I didn't expect agreeing, I did expect less in the way of insulting uneducated rhetoric.
I am certainly not insulting you personally and I don't think anyone else means anything personal towards you. I welcome your opinion and love to hear all Aggie perspectives. However, I just am not a believer in Canales as our next Head Coach and even though I have zero connections to Hartwell, I would bet money he feels the same way. Canales has spent the last decade as a subpar mid-major coach. We can and will do better.

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 22nd, 2020, 3:10 pm

November 22nd, 2020, 2:35 pm
CrazyAg wrote:
afausu wrote:
I am certainly not insulting you personally and I don't think anyone else means anything personal towards you. I welcome your opinion and love to hear all Aggie perspectives. However, I just am not a believer in Canales as our next Head Coach and even though I have zero connections to Hartwell, I would bet money he feels the same way. Canales has spent the last decade as a subpar mid-major coach. We can and will do better.
Calling him subpar just highlights your ignorance. Would you use that standard on your own personal career? By that standard there’s no one alive who you couldn’t point out as subpar.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 22nd, 2020, 3:17 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 3:10 pm
CrazyAg wrote:
afausu wrote:
Calling him subpar just highlights your ignorance. Would you use that standard on your own personal career? By that standard there’s no one alive who you couldn’t point out as subpar.
Yes he has been subpar the last 10 years as a coach. What statistics over the last 10 years as a coach related to his position would warrant him to be a head coach?
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiChowderAggie

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 22nd, 2020, 3:28 pm

Chico has moved around a good bit, even with the nomadic nature of football coaches. I would expect our A D to find a solid fit much like his very successful basketball H C pick.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 22nd, 2020, 4:02 pm

It’s clear that, unless we hire Chico this week, we will cease to function as a program. We will be reduced to only a few dozen scholarship players as a mass exodus develops among those longing to be coached by the architect of some of the worst offenses in the lower levels of the FBS.

Once here, the siren song of a nomadic assistant at the G5 will surely beckon to top recruits and transfers from coast to coast as our newly minted leader has coached bad offenses and lost jobs nationwide.

And our rescuer will do all this for a paltry 500% pay increase out of loyalty to his alma mater.

Why has the Chico era not already commenced?
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiAggieBlues

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 22nd, 2020, 4:16 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 3:10 pm
CrazyAg wrote:
afausu wrote:
He has been subpar over the last decade. His standard has been pretty low, so there are plenty of people alive that have done better in his profession.

As for me personally, hey I'll give you that Chico has a better career than me. He has spent his life living all over the country coaching football and has made a few million doing it. Sounds like a dream life. I have 100% respect for the life he has created for himself. And guess what? Like Chico, I will not be considered for the position of HC at USU either.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ChowderAggie

coolag

Post by coolag » November 22nd, 2020, 4:20 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
afausu wrote:
You and Youngbloodaggie should get together and discuss who is smarter about aggie football. Battle for the ages!!
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
Intermeddler

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » November 22nd, 2020, 4:51 pm

CrazyAg, what is your relationship with Chico?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author USUaggie for the post:
AggieBlues

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » November 22nd, 2020, 5:29 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 1:29 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:

Jay Hill = Tony Sanchez
Same amount of FBS wins

Not as an FCS coach it’s not important. How has Hill done against his peer schools? Should we just ignore that?

He has done almost as well as Ron Caragher. But not as good as Craig Bohl... So again nothing special

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 22nd, 2020, 6:06 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 1:29 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:

Jay Hill = Tony Sanchez
Same amount of FBS wins

He has done almost as well as Ron Caragher. But not as good as Craig Bohl... So again nothing special
Craig Bolh and Ron Carager really have nothing to do with Jay Hill.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » November 22nd, 2020, 6:26 pm

My question is why, if Chico is such a good coach with such amazing connections, have none of the other 129 D1 teams in the nation offered him a job as a HC?

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » November 22nd, 2020, 7:14 pm

It's funny how none of this has any bearing on who our next coach will be.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 2):
brownjeansAggieBlues

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » November 22nd, 2020, 9:11 pm

I'm completely and totally uninformed on: 1) What the process of choosing a new head coach for football is; or 2) Who might be interested, or considered. What I would like to know is how it was done in the past. The two most successful hires in the past couple of decades or so seem to have been Gary Andersen V1 and Craig Smith. What was the process of finding those two guys, and were they on the radar before they were announced? Just curious. Thanks in advance for an info anyone can provide.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 22nd, 2020, 9:33 pm

JSHarvey wrote:I'm completely and totally uninformed on: 1) What the process of choosing a new head coach for football is; or 2) Who might be interested, or considered. What I would like to know is how it was done in the past. The two most successful hires in the past couple of decades or so seem to have been Gary Andersen V1 and Craig Smith. What was the process of finding those two guys, and were they on the radar before they were announced? Just curious. Thanks in advance for an info anyone can provide.
We just need someone who will take the job within the next week. We don’t have time to wait for qualified candidates.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 2):
AGinNEIowaBLUERUFiO

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 22nd, 2020, 10:40 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 9:33 pm
JSHarvey wrote:I'm completely and totally uninformed on: 1) What the process of choosing a new head coach for football is; or 2) Who might be interested, or considered. What I would like to know is how it was done in the past. The two most successful hires in the past couple of decades or so seem to have been Gary Andersen V1 and Craig Smith. What was the process of finding those two guys, and were they on the radar before they were announced? Just curious. Thanks in advance for an info anyone can provide.
We just need someone who will take the job within the next week. We don’t have time to wait for qualified candidates.

I hear the Utep Offensive Coordinator will take the job. We don't deserve him and normally wouldn't even be considered by him, but because of his connections to the school he is willing to take a chance on us.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
IntermeddlerChowderAggie

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 22nd, 2020, 11:12 pm

This thread has put me firmly in the anyone but Canales camp.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 4):
ratofallaggiesAGinNEIowautahcountyaggieAggieBlues

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

Chod

Post by Chod » November 23rd, 2020, 8:13 am

GeoAg wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 11:12 pm
This thread has put me firmly in the anyone but Canales camp.
I don't know how good Chico would be as the USU coach. What I do know is that he isn't good at running the ball:

These users thanked the author Chod for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 23rd, 2020, 9:52 am

I think folks on this board set the bar too low. Every time we have a coaching vacancy, the same USU connected local names come up. There aren't very many FBS head coaching gigs, and there are a lot of talented coaches out there. Over the past decade or so our program and facilities have improved by leaps and bounds. This isn't a bad dead-end job. Our last two coaches both left for P5 jobs, which should be attractive to up-and-comers. I am guessing we would be surprised at some of the names that express interest in the job.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
aggies22

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » November 23rd, 2020, 10:48 am

I'm still not 100% sure if this thread is just a masterful troll job or serious?
These users thanked the author Aggieiester for the post (total 3):
AggieBluesChowderAggieTheAKAggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 23rd, 2020, 12:28 pm

Chod wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 8:13 am
I don't know how good Chico would be as the USU coach. What I do know is that he isn't good at running the ball
Well he's 60 and walks like a former football player. He probably has trouble running to the store, let alone running a football.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
USU78Chod

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 23rd, 2020, 2:16 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 10:48 am
I'm still not 100% sure if this thread is just a masterful troll job or serious?
It probably is a troll job that worked. I can't believe I really spent time going back and forth on the merits of Chico Canales as if he is going to be a serious candidate for the job. Don't get me wrong, I mean no disrespect to the man, but he isn't close to being who USU should go after for the next coach and obviously won't be. Maybe I'll get suckered into a long thread about Kent Baer tomorrow.

AggieBlues

Post by AggieBlues » November 23rd, 2020, 4:23 pm

USUaggie wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 4:51 pm

His Uncle. Uncle Chico.

No offense to Mr. Canales.
These users thanked the author AggieBlues for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOaggies22

The amount of energy necessary to refute bull pucky is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 23rd, 2020, 9:34 pm

USUaggie wrote:

He's the man.

Hail Aggies!

KissMyAg

Post by KissMyAg » November 23rd, 2020, 9:58 pm

I swear for the past 15 years CrazyAg has been pimping Chico... literally.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 23rd, 2020, 10:33 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 9:34 pm
USUaggie wrote:

He's the man.
:lol:

Ed Brown wasn't always so nice to Chico. I don't think he would be pimping him for a College Head coaching job.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 24th, 2020, 7:55 am

We always have the Chico and Kent Baer crowd on here.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 24th, 2020, 8:16 am

NVAggie wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 7:55 am
We always have the Chico and Kent Baer crowd on here.
"Crowd" is probably generous, unless by "crowd" you mean CrazyAg ?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic