Positives from Today

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 6762
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 571 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Positives from Today

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 14th, 2020, 5:40 pm

Now, I'm not saying this was a good performance by any means, but you have to admit it was better than the previous 3.

The offensive struggles are discussed elsewhere.

The defense was better today, and at this point all I want to see is some level of improvement game to game. IMO, if the offense had been average, the defense did enough to pull out that win. It was a 13 pt game going into the 4th.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Elkaggie
Posts: 4151
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by Elkaggie » November 14th, 2020, 5:54 pm

Good points!
We had way more yards than the previous three and if we catch a couple more balls this is a much closer game. Also it was a huge swing to have Warren make a huge run fumble while fighting fir extra yards and then have them score in 4 plays.

Anyone know what #26 Robinson was playing instead of Jackson or Lampkin? He got beat bad on that play. This was a huge swing in momentum and points imo.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3338
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 925 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by ineptimusprime » November 14th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Positives:

-We certainly have our punter for the next four years.
-The D line played really well.
-Thompkins had a really nice game (should have had two TDs).
-I think it became abundantly clear we need a total staff makeover.

When you set aside the fact that our program has somehow gone from the cat’s pajamas in 2018 to the team looking for moral victories in a double-digit home loss to a middling team in our conference, it wasn’t that bad. For the first time this season, it felt like there were at least a few pieces there to build on for the future.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 4451
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 339 times
Been thanked: 777 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 14th, 2020, 6:05 pm

This isn't saying much, but it was our best game of the year. We actually got some stops in the second half and it was still a two score game going into the 4th quarter. Scarver showed why he is one of the best kick returners in the country. (Can we please get the kid returning punts now!)

A bad game, but the best of our first 4. I know a very low bar.



Elkaggie
Posts: 4151
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by Elkaggie » November 14th, 2020, 6:19 pm

We also created 2 TO’s
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie



AggieSox
Posts: 1014
Joined: August 6th, 2012, 8:43 pm
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by AggieSox » November 14th, 2020, 6:48 pm

The crowd was much lowder this game. That was a big positive. 😀😀. Really hard to find more positives then 1 or 2. But I think the crowd noise on tv was louder. 😀



ususports
Posts: 1651
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 493 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by ususports » November 14th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 6:05 pm
...it was still a two score game going into the 4th quarter.
Brent Guy would be proud! That was always his goal. He never cared about winning a game, but in every radio interview, he emphasized the importance of being close when the fourth quarter started. Good to see that Maile has happily taken the torch from Guy and proudly moving forward with the same goals.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7493
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 485 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by 2004AG » November 14th, 2020, 6:53 pm

ususports wrote:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 6:05 pm
...it was still a two score game going into the 4th quarter.
Brent Guy would be proud! That was always his goal. He never cared about winning a game, but in every radio interview, he emphasized the importance of being close when the fourth quarter started. Good to see that Maile has happily taken the torch from Guy and proudly moving forward with the same goals.
I wanted to scream every time I heard Guy say that. Drove me crazy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Aggie84025
Posts: 3078
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1041 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by Aggie84025 » November 14th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 5:54 pm
Good points!
We had way more yards than the previous three and if we catch a couple more balls this is a much closer game. Also it was a huge swing to have Warren make a huge run fumble while fighting fir extra yards and then have them score in 4 plays.

Anyone know what #26 Robinson was playing instead of Jackson or Lampkin? He got beat bad on that play. This was a huge swing in momentum and points imo.
Lampkin played most of the day. Know clue why Jackson was not playing, but his performances the last few games have been poor, especially tackling. I am fine giving them time to the new guys.



User avatar
MaverickAggie
Posts: 461
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 11:51 pm
Location: Boise, ID
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by MaverickAggie » November 14th, 2020, 9:25 pm

Scarvers KR for a TD was a big highlight. The kid is one return TD away from the NCAA record. That could be highlight of the season.
These users thanked the author MaverickAggie for the post (total 2):
ThunderAggie3rdGenAggie



User avatar
ThunderAggie
Posts: 1334
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has thanked: 341 times
Been thanked: 426 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by ThunderAggie » November 14th, 2020, 9:28 pm

MaverickAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 9:25 pm
Scarvers KR for a TD was a big highlight. The kid is one return TD away from the NCAA record. That could be highlight of the season.
I just don’t get why he has trouble catching the ball as a WR yet he seems to be fine on kickoffs. I also wish we could use him on deep balls but there is no one to throw it to him.



Elkaggie
Posts: 4151
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by Elkaggie » November 14th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Warren avg 15 yards per carry
DHC 6.6

We held them to 3.7 ypc

Why did we throw it 24 times?
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 4451
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 339 times
Been thanked: 777 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 14th, 2020, 9:48 pm

ususports wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 6:51 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 6:05 pm
...it was still a two score game going into the 4th quarter.
Brent Guy would be proud! That was always his goal. He never cared about winning a game, but in every radio interview, he emphasized the importance of being close when the fourth quarter started. Good to see that Maile has happily taken the torch from Guy and proudly moving forward with the same goals.
Mick dennehy and Brent guy never gave off vibes that they believed they could ever win at usu. That it was even possible. This year reminds me of their era, just the hopelessness going into each week.



aggiesdidwhat
Posts: 608
Joined: July 14th, 2013, 12:18 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by aggiesdidwhat » November 14th, 2020, 9:57 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 5:54 pm
Good points!
We had way more yards than the previous three and if we catch a couple more balls this is a much closer game. Also it was a huge swing to have Warren make a huge run fumble while fighting fir extra yards and then have them score in 4 plays.

Anyone know what #26 Robinson was playing instead of Jackson or Lampkin? He got beat bad on that play. This was a huge swing in momentum and points imo.
Did anyone notice on that fumble. He dropped the ball right when they yanked his head down using his face mask. Really shocked it wasn't called. He's moving forward then WHAN head straight down to ground ball out.
These users thanked the author aggiesdidwhat for the post (total 2):
bluegrouseUSU78



bluegrouse
Posts: 3361
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 637 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by bluegrouse » November 14th, 2020, 9:59 pm

aggiesdidwhat wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 9:57 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 5:54 pm
Good points!
We had way more yards than the previous three and if we catch a couple more balls this is a much closer game. Also it was a huge swing to have Warren make a huge run fumble while fighting fir extra yards and then have them score in 4 plays.

Anyone know what #26 Robinson was playing instead of Jackson or Lampkin? He got beat bad on that play. This was a huge swing in momentum and points imo.
Did anyone notice on that fumble. He dropped the ball right when they yanked his head down using his face mask. Really shocked it wasn't called. He's moving forward then WHAN head straight down to ground ball out.
Definitely a facemask and definitely the turning point in the game.



aggiesdidwhat
Posts: 608
Joined: July 14th, 2013, 12:18 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by aggiesdidwhat » November 14th, 2020, 10:03 pm

Agreed bluegroose.



User avatar
WAAggie
Posts: 2396
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:02 am
Location: Kent WA
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by WAAggie » November 14th, 2020, 10:07 pm

Also, the other instant whistle on the TD run. Air Force would hardly score or move the ball on short yardage if whistled blew that quick. It was a score.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5943
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 14th, 2020, 10:29 pm

MaverickAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 9:25 pm
Scarvers KR for a TD was a big highlight. The kid is one return TD away from the NCAA record. That could be highlight of the season.



Mediocre at Best
Posts: 813
Joined: January 1st, 2014, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by Mediocre at Best » November 14th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Really nice to shift to some of the positives. Improvements across the board...well with one exception. Warren and Henry Cole real nice games. O line despite the sacks did a decent job today. Receivers also were able to get separation but the balls were poorly thrown. Special teams were much improved in terms of kicking and returns. Finally saw some physicality from DBs. I disagree that today's game puts FM of of the running. Given the sh*t show GA brought and left us he is actually under a lot of stress. To see the players be more inspired and play with effort is to FM credit. I just cant bring myself to criticize the coaches and players in the wake of GA's perplexing and quick exit. If for nothing else but holding this team together during trying times including the departure of the head coach and COVID FM - the stability that he brings at least deserves an interview and much more gratitude from Aggie Nation.
These users thanked the author Mediocre at Best for the post (total 2):
taniataylorvegasaggie



Elkaggie
Posts: 4151
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by Elkaggie » November 14th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 10:33 pm
Really nice to shift to some of the positives. Improvements across the board...well with one exception. Warren and Henry Cole real nice games. O line despite the sacks did a decent job today. Receivers also were able to get separation but the balls were poorly thrown. Special teams were much improved in terms of kicking and returns. Finally saw some physicality from DBs. I disagree that today's game puts FM of of the running. Given the sh*t show GA brought and left us he is actually under a lot of stress. To see the players be more inspired and play with effort is to FM credit. I just cant bring myself to criticize the coaches and players in the wake of GA's perplexing and quick exit. If for nothing else but holding this team together during trying times including the departure of the head coach and COVID FM - the stability that he brings at least deserves an interview and much more gratitude from Aggie Nation.
Excellent post. I agree with you.



User avatar
Aggieiester
Posts: 526
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 10:11 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Positives from Today

Post by Aggieiester » November 14th, 2020, 11:29 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Mediocre at Best wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 10:33 pm
Really nice to shift to some of the positives. Improvements across the board...well with one exception. Warren and Henry Cole real nice games. O line despite the sacks did a decent job today. Receivers also were able to get separation but the balls were poorly thrown. Special teams were much improved in terms of kicking and returns. Finally saw some physicality from DBs. I disagree that today's game puts FM of of the running. Given the sh*t show GA brought and left us he is actually under a lot of stress. To see the players be more inspired and play with effort is to FM credit. I just cant bring myself to criticize the coaches and players in the wake of GA's perplexing and quick exit. If for nothing else but holding this team together during trying times including the departure of the head coach and COVID FM - the stability that he brings at least deserves an interview and much more gratitude from Aggie Nation.
Excellent post. I agree with you.
I thought the OL got (I can't express myself without swearing) slapped for most of the game, they probably should get credit for at least one sack since they got pushed back in to the QB, that was seriously embarrassing.

The real positive from today was I thought after the first half the defense played very well. Any offense in the second half and that game goes down to the wire



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic