Shelley sucks

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Re: Shelley sucks

Post by slcagg » November 14th, 2020, 8:26 pm

Stucki wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 8:25 pm
How many reps have Calvin and Legas even had? I'm assuming that played a role in the decision.
None in a game situation. Although i watched some of the 2nd half for that reason to see if one of them got some time.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
hvaggie

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » November 14th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 6:45 pm
I’m sure this has been brewing for along time behind the scenes, but has this been so visible in the other games?
This is how I feel. I kept noticing Shelly seemed positive and high fiving guys even when things where really bad first three games. This game was just to awful. Is it because Gary is gone? Someone please help me understand, why wouldn't they bring out another QB? I was listening with my wife and the announcer said he had 16 yards of total offense in the 2nd half...... Have someone that can just hand the ball off. When my wife is asking how this person is playing....... I really get worried haha

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 14th, 2020, 10:39 pm

aggiesdidwhat wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 10:33 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
I’m sure this has been brewing for along time behind the scenes, but has this been so visible in the other games?
This is how I feel. I kept noticing Shelly seemed positive and high fiving guys even when things where really bad first three games. This game was just to awful. Is it because Gary is gone? Someone please help me understand, why wouldn't they bring out another QB? I was listening with my wife and the announcer said he had 16 yards of total offense in the 2nd half...... Have someone that can just hand the ball off. When my wife is asking how this person is playing....... I really get worried haha
We averaged 6 ypc that’s with the sacks included. I was surprised how quick we were to abandon the run especially is 3rd and medium. In fact I think we threw the ball in almost all those situations today.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 14th, 2020, 10:53 pm

aggiesdidwhat wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 10:33 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
Tania knows.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 14th, 2020, 11:13 pm

You guys have to remember; Peasley was going to get the start, then boom COVID!! Pretty sure there was a bit of bitterness happening too

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 15th, 2020, 12:10 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 3:01 pm
He's on pace to finish behind Leon Jackson iii in yards per game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speaking of Leon Jackson iii, any chance we can dust off the old 3rd down, fake a pass / QB punt play? It ALWAYS threw the defense off guard. It was a Brent Guy gem!

El Sapo

Re: Shelley is the answer

Post by El Sapo » November 15th, 2020, 10:06 am

Shelley is easily our best player on offense, probably the best athlete on the whole team.

Why isn't he successful?

Our HC was just fired. Maybe that's a clue?

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » November 15th, 2020, 10:09 am

El Sapo wrote:Shelley is easily our best player on offense, probably the best athlete on the whole team.

Why isn't he successful?

I don’t know what you’re seeing that I’m not, but in my opinion Shelley isn’t even close to being our best player on offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stang

Post by stang » November 15th, 2020, 10:09 am

El Sapo wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 10:06 am
Shelley is easily our best player on offense, probably the best athlete on the whole team.

Why isn't he successful?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha good one! :lol:

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 15th, 2020, 10:35 am

El Sapo wrote:

Why isn't he successful?

This has to tongue-in-cheek, right? If it is, you’re not laying it on thick enough.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 15th, 2020, 10:46 am

El Sapo wrote:

Why isn't he successful?

Put down the weed, Spicoli
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
El Sapo

Go Aggies!

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » November 15th, 2020, 10:56 am

El Sapo wrote:

Why isn't he successful?

I do respect Shelly’s athleticism, I do feel that he isn’t getting the pass protection he needs, and there were several throws he made that were right on point which the receivers dropped (Mcgriff on the Goaline of the RPO play is the first that comes to mind).

However, there were about 5 passes yesterday where I said to myself “if that were Colombi throwing the ball, that was a touchdown or an easy completion.” If I were to rank the best offensive players so far it would be 1. Thompkins 2. Warren 3. Everyone else

You can see the disconnect between him and the receivers. And after seeing his demeanor on the sidelines, I don’t think it’s going to get any better.

Time to give someone else a shot and help them develop.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 15th, 2020, 11:16 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 10:56 am
El Sapo wrote:

Why isn't he successful?

I do respect Shelly’s athleticism, I do feel that he isn’t getting the pass protection he needs, and there were several throws he made that were right on point which the receivers dropped (Mcgriff on the Goaline of the RPO play is the first that comes to mind).

However, there were about 5 passes yesterday where I said to myself “if that were Colombi throwing the ball, that was a touchdown or an easy completion.” If I were to rank the best offensive players so far it would be 1. Thompkins 2. Warren 3. Everyone else

You can see the disconnect between him and the receivers. And after seeing his demeanor on the sidelines, I don’t think it’s going to get any better.

Protection wasn't perfect but it wasn't nearly as bad as you think. A qbs internal throw or scramble clock is 4 seconds. If the ball isn't out that's on the QB. It looks like his protection is bad because he is slow to his progressions, late on his throws, and has a slow release. He also has poor pocket awareness.

And his oline probably groans and resigns itself every time a pass is called when they are getting 6 yards a carry so that doesn't help..lol

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » November 15th, 2020, 11:26 am

I hear we have an announcement coming the next day or so. :rock: :rock:
These users thanked the author utahcountyaggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » November 15th, 2020, 11:39 am

hickaggie wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 11:16 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Why isn't he successful?

Protection wasn't perfect but it wasn't nearly as bad as you think. A qbs internal throw or scramble clock is 4 seconds. If the ball isn't out that's on the QB. It looks like his protection is bad because he is slow to his progressions, late on his throws, and has a slow release. He also has poor pocket awareness.

And his oline probably groans and resigns itself every time a pass is called when they are getting 6 yards a carry so that doesn't help..lol
I saw several plays where Shelly was getting pressured after 2-3 seconds with a 4 man front. That’s on the line.

But I do agree with you about the run blocking. The line did great yesterday with that

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 15th, 2020, 11:51 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 11:39 am
hickaggie wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Why isn't he successful?

I saw several plays where Shelly was getting pressured after 2-3 seconds with a 4 man front. That’s on the line.

But I do agree with you about the run blocking. The line did great yesterday with that

Yes those were on the line but overall they haven't been any worse than with Love. But love usually had the ball out of his hands between 2.5 and 3.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 15th, 2020, 11:55 am

utahcountyaggie wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 11:26 am
I hear we have an announcement coming the next day or so. :rock: :rock:
Are you saying kent Baer is finally being called home?

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 15th, 2020, 11:57 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Why isn't he successful?

Interesting read. If it's 2-3 seconds, then he's got time. It's much more than just Shelley, but he has had enough time to make more plays than he's making.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.newsob ... 15367.html

Go Aggies!

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 15th, 2020, 12:03 pm

It's probably time for another QB, just for the sake of Shelley's physical and mental security. Let him watch the carnage from the sidelines so he'll (and maybe the haters) realize this $hit storm isn't his fault.

It would be a blessing if this horrible coaching staff could leave Shelley uninjured mentally or physically going into next season. If that happens and we get at least 1 or 2 more impact players on offense? Maybe we could win a few games next year

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » November 15th, 2020, 12:30 pm

We can agree it is time for a new QB but the carnage is from the toxicty of the locker room. I can tell you from experience of the 2008 team what the problem is. Half of the team knows guys that are constantly failing in the games continue to play just because on paper they should be better. In the WR room most probably want a new QB and others are wondering why Mcgriff keeps getting on the field when he has more drops than catches.

The younger and non playing secondary is wondering when will I get my chance since the same guys week after week get burned for TD after TD and missed tackle after missed tackle. (Grayson, jackson, and lefeged are biggest culprits).

LB not getting in are getting mad that metz continues to make the same mistakes of not flowing, poor pass coverage, and miss tackle after miss tackle. Saying to themselves give me a shot I can't do worse then him.

Younger QBs if they don't start getting a look are going to begin to check out and talk with others that it doesn't matter what I do and it doesn't matter how bad Shelley is I'm never going to get a shot.

All of these are creating the storm we are seeing. The way to solve this is to sit those that keep getting trout out week after week and not getting the job done. This week playing Robinson at corner was a good start but sorry metz needs to be benched. Shelley and mcgriff need to be benched as well. Shelley is not the best athlete on the team and his attitude makes him a very suspect teammate.

It's in the coaches for letting 5 to 7 players that shouldn't be playing. But it is on those playing that rest the responsibility of the toxicity. If they really cared about the team they would go to the coach and say, I'm not getting done it's time to put in somebody else. There are way too many guys only caring about themselves right now.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bybs25 for the post (total 5):
BustaMcNuttEl SapoUSU78NVAggieaggies22

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 15th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Bybs25 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 12:30 pm
We can agree it is time for a new QB but the carnage is from the toxicty of the locker room. I can tell you from experience of the 2008 team what the problem is. Half of the team knows guys that are constantly failing in the games continue to play just because on paper they should be better. In the WR room most probably want a new QB and others are wondering why Mcgriff keeps getting on the field when he has more drops than catches.

The younger and non playing secondary is wondering when will I get my chance since the same guys week after week get burned for TD after TD and missed tackle after missed tackle. (Grayson, jackson, and lefeged are biggest culprits).

LB not getting in are getting mad that metz continues to make the same mistakes of not flowing, poor pass coverage, and miss tackle after miss tackle. Saying to themselves give me a shot I can't do worse then him.

Younger QBs if they don't start getting a look are going to begin to check out and talk with others that it doesn't matter what I do and it doesn't matter how bad Shelley is I'm never going to get a shot.

All of these are creating the storm we are seeing. The way to solve this is to sit those that keep getting trout out week after week and not getting the job done. This week playing Robinson at corner was a good start but sorry metz needs to be benched. Shelley and mcgriff need to be benched as well. Shelley is not the best athlete on the team and his attitude makes him a very suspect teammate.

It's in the coaches for letting 5 to 7 players that shouldn't be playing. But it is on those playing that rest the responsibility of the toxicity. If they really cared about the team they would go to the coach and say, I'm not getting done it's time to put in somebody else. There are way too many guys only caring about themselves right now.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Even if the non-playing freshmen are just as bad, at least they are young and can learn from their mistakes.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » November 15th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 11:57 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Why isn't he successful?

Interesting read. If it's 2-3 seconds, then he's got time. It's much more than just Shelley, but he has had enough time to make more plays than he's making.

The only problem with that article is that it doesn’t take into account the number of people dropped into coverage vs type of coverage. It’s going to take a longer than 2.8 seconds for receivers to get open against a Cover 3 defense who’s only rushing 4.

It’s common knowledge that a defense is highly likely to be successful when it’s able to get pressure only rushing 3-4 people.

Look, my biggest beef against Shelly isn’t that he’s struggling, it’s his lack of leadership. It’s obvious that he doesn’t respect his receivers (with the exception of Thompkins) and they don’t respect him. Chemistry is gone. Time to cut our losses and move on.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post (total 2):
Aggie19aggies22

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 15th, 2020, 1:36 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 12:59 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 11:57 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Why isn't he successful?

The only problem with that article is that it doesn’t take into account the number of people dropped into coverage vs type of coverage. It’s going to take a longer than 2.8 seconds for receivers to get open against a Cover 3 defense who’s only rushing 4.

It’s common knowledge that a defense is highly likely to be successful when it’s able to get pressure only rushing 3-4 people.

Look, my biggest beef against Shelly isn’t that he’s struggling, it’s his lack of leadership. It’s obvious that he doesn’t respect his receivers (with the exception of Thompkins) and they don’t respect him. Chemistry is gone. Time to cut our losses and move on.
Fair enough. I was curious, having heard how he was struggling because he doesn't have enough time, I timed every pass in the first half of the Nevada game. I counted 7 pass plays that he had more than 3 seconds to throw. He completed 2, missed 4 and had one play nullified for a penalty which was also incomplete (full disclosure, I missed one play on the last drive in the 2nd, so I don't know how long he had on that one). My point being, you can give him as much time in the world, it's not going to get better.

I agree with you though, his lack of leadership is by far a bigger concern and its pretty clear its spilling over onto the sideline and into locker room. It's definitely time to move in a different direction.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
AGinNEIowa

Go Aggies!

sneed

Post by sneed » November 15th, 2020, 10:25 pm

Frank must have read this.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 15th, 2020, 11:49 pm

Honestly though, how did some of these problems not become evident during fall camp? Didn't we have like an extra month of season prep? How on earth was it not painfully obvious prior to the season kicking off that Shelly was not the guy? Was he throwing laser darts and being everyone's best friend in September?

How truly bad/unprepared are the other QB options that they couldn't beat out this guy?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 16th, 2020, 8:50 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 11:49 pm
Honestly though, how did some of these problems not become evident during fall camp? Didn't we have like an extra month of season prep? How on earth was it not painfully obvious prior to the season kicking off that Shelly was not the guy? Was he throwing laser darts and being everyone's best friend in September?

How truly bad/unprepared are the other QB options that they couldn't beat out this guy?
Do we know that Cooper and Calvin were really given the opportunity to compete for the starting job? It was clear when GA brought in Jason that he was going to give him every opportunity to be the starter. Not saying it wasn't a clear on competition for the starting job, but GA seemed to be set on having Shelley be the starter.

It will be hard to judge either of them this week as they clearly have not been getting the reps with the first team up until this week. It is a tough task to open on the road in Laramie against what is generally a really good defense. All I want to see is potential, can they make some reads, be able to stretch the ball down the field to keep the defenses honest. Aside from that I want to see leadership with the team and how the players respond to playing for these guys. The bright side is, the new coaching staff will have a good idea what he have in Calivn and Cooper and how necessary it will be to get transfer QB with the the one time transfer rule.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 16th, 2020, 9:51 am

El Sapo wrote:

Why isn't he successful?

I HAVE to disagree here my Aggie brother. Perhaps his former P5 status is blinding you?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieArmy

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » November 16th, 2020, 10:04 am

I honestly believe that the reason GA 2.0 failed this time around is his reliance and belief that anything the U has is far superior to anywhere else. Just because the U operates in the PAC doesn't mean the players are head and shoulders above the rest. Shelley was the backup behind one of the worse U quarterbacks in Huntley.

Locked Previous topicNext topic