Jason Shelley - Middle of the Field

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgMan21

Jason Shelley - Middle of the Field

Post by AgMan21 » November 10th, 2020, 10:23 am

I have a question. I am not a football expert but how much of Shelley's ineffectiveness when throwing up the middle is caused by his height?

I know that Drew Brees and Russel Wilson are short by NFL QB standards, but both of them are successful. Is it the way our O line is being coached, is it because they are getting stood up by opposing D lines, or is Shelley just too short to throw over a D1 O line? Or am I just wrong flat out and it has nothing (or almost nothing) to do with his height?

GUS

Re: Jason Shelley - Middle of the Field

Post by GUS » November 10th, 2020, 12:30 pm

I've been surprised that we don't roll Shelly out to a side more than try and make him a pocket passer.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 10th, 2020, 12:41 pm

GUS wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 12:30 pm
I've been surprised that we don't roll Shelly out to a side more than try and make him a pocket passer.
His numbers have been dismal across the board but just thinking back almost everything he has really completed other than a few slants and the short TD slant was out of the pocket. He is like 0-6 on throws traveling in the air over 10 yards out of the pocket including 3 wide open TDs. He did hit a TE who dropped it on what would have been a pretty good gain.

He also does not appear to be at all comfortable rolling opposite his throwing hand. Almost everything he has done has been short side sideline throws scrambling to his right.

As far as height goes that's just obvious. Every 5-11 QB in the country needs windows to throw through and is going to miss some things in the middle.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » November 10th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Truly a bone-headed move by GA to bring Shelly in and drive Columbi out. The idiocy staggers....

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » November 10th, 2020, 4:47 pm

hickaggie wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 12:41 pm
GUS wrote:
His numbers have been dismal across the board but just thinking back almost everything he has really completed other than a few slants and the short TD slant was out of the pocket. He is like 0-6 on throws traveling in the air over 10 yards out of the pocket including 3 wide open TDs. He did hit a TE who dropped it on what would have been a pretty good gain.

He also does not appear to be at all comfortable rolling opposite his throwing hand. Almost everything he has done has been short side sideline throws scrambling to his right.

As far as height goes that's just obvious. Every 5-11 QB in the country needs windows to throw through and is going to miss some things in the middle.
That's probably why it hasn't really been talked about. So then is our O line not being coached to try and open up those windows when he's in the pocket or are they just not getting it done? I guess only the coaches can really answer that question.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 10th, 2020, 5:14 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 4:47 pm
hickaggie wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 12:41 pm
GUS wrote:

That's probably why it hasn't really been talked about. So then is our O line not being coached to try and open up those windows when he's in the pocket or are they just not getting it done? I guess only the coaches can really answer that question.
When you are pass blocking as an O-lineman you are mainly reacting to the gap, techniques, and stunts of the defense. Its not lke run blocking unless you cut like AFA which is legal as long your not double teaming. You really can't block to open up windows and those windows would depend on the individual routes being run. Its my opinion from watching that Shelley is just not comfortable in the pocket and his height is definitely part of that equation.

I know the other question has popped up about going under center. Its been my experience with the shorter QBs I've been involved with that they don't like under center because it exacerbates their vision problems both pre and post snap. I probably don't know what I'm talking about there but I have had that argument with Qbs about going under center...who knows.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 10th, 2020, 5:39 pm

Anyone noticed if we line up with tight or wide splits on the OL?

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 10th, 2020, 6:44 pm

How come we have lined up under center yet???

GA_Aggie

Post by GA_Aggie » November 10th, 2020, 7:31 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 10:23 am
I have a question. I am not a football expert but how much of Shelley's ineffectiveness when throwing up the middle is caused by his height?

I know that Drew Brees and Russel Wilson are short by NFL QB standards, but both of them are successful. Is it the way our O line is being coached, is it because they are getting stood up by opposing D lines, or is Shelley just too short to throw over a D1 O line? Or am I just wrong flat out and it has nothing (or almost nothing) to do with his height?

Miale said today on 1280 that QB competition is open between Shelley and Peasley. https://1280thezone.com/usu-interim-hea ... -in-logan/

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 10th, 2020, 7:41 pm

GA_Aggie wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 7:31 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 10:23 am

Miale said today on 1280 that QB competition is open between Shelley and Peasley. https://1280thezone.com/usu-interim-hea ... -in-logan/
That should be quite the competition. I'm going with peasley if he can just get a little more consistent with his bounce pass.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttcdaAg

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 10th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Jordan says Calvin can sling it better than any of em

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » November 10th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Tania, what are Calvin's weaknesses?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 10th, 2020, 9:14 pm

USUaggie wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 9:02 pm
Tania, what are Calvin's weaknesses?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
He didnt say much, just that he can pass and wishes they would put him in.

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Locked Previous topicNext topic