Fcs coaches to fbs

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Fcs coaches to fbs

Post by slcagg » November 8th, 2020, 9:49 pm

Why is the thought that fcs have a difficult time transitioning from fcs to dbs?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Fcs coaches to fbs

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 9th, 2020, 2:19 am

Jim harbaugh, Jim tressel and Chris klieman all did it very well. In the mountain west Craig bohl seems to be doing ok. Obviously we have had some bombs with arslanian and dennehy. Just got to get the right guy.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
slcagg

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 9th, 2020, 9:25 am

John L. Smith :roll:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 9th, 2020, 10:34 am

I think the State of Kansas is an example of two programs that went two different directions in 2019.

Kansas- Les Miles
P5 retread if you would. Fired from LSU.

Kansas State- Chris Kleiman
FCS hire from the hugely successful North Dakota State program.

I'll let you guys be the judge of which school made the better hire.....

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 9th, 2020, 11:38 am

Sl7vk wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 10:34 am
I think the State of Kansas is an example of two programs that went two different directions in 2019.

Kansas- Les Miles

Not arguing. But how much of that is situation. Living near both of those universities I can tell you one of those has no support from their alumni for football and the other does.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » November 9th, 2020, 11:43 am

I kind of think that one of the things an FCS head coach needs is some experience in an FBS program.

If you look at Arslanian, the highest profile school he ever coached at was one year as a GA at Arizona State when there was no FCS/1-AA, and the Sun Devils were members of the WAC.

Mick Dennehy had come out of the high school ranks, and other than a few years of coaching high school in Washington in the 1970s, had spent his entire playing and coaching career in the State of Montana, coaching high school, NAIA Montana Western, and then the University of Montana. I don't know for certain, but it is doubtful, given that history, that Dennehy had really any deep recruiting connections and it is clear he had zero idea about how things worked at the FBS level.

IMHO if you could find a candidate who is coming from the FCS ranks, but has a history of assistant coaching spots at big name FBS schools, and maybe some experience in a few other parts of the country, prior to his going to the FCS school, then you might have a viable candidate. For the most part, both Arslanian and Dennehy were one State guys. For both of them, outside of a three year stint in another State, more than 20 years earlier, they were exclusive to one State for their entire playing and coaching careers.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 9th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 10:34 am

Kansas- Les Miles

You are probably right, but id give les miles a little more time to try and right the ship. He entered the biggest dumpster fire in the sport. Kansas hasn't won a conference road game or won 2 conference games in the same season since the Bush administration. They are as bad as it gets.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 9th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Has anyone ever done any kind of study on the success of coaches from FCS making the jump? I would be curious to know how well it works out, generally.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 9th, 2020, 12:56 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 11:43 am
I kind of think that one of the things an FCS head coach needs is some experience in an FBS program.

If you look at Arslanian, the highest profile school he ever coached at was one year as a GA at Arizona State when there was no FCS/1-AA, and the Sun Devils were members of the WAC.

Mick Dennehy had come out of the high school ranks, and other than a few years of coaching high school in Washington in the 1970s, had spent his entire playing and coaching career in the State of Montana, coaching high school, NAIA Montana Western, and then the University of Montana. I don't know for certain, but it is doubtful, given that history, that Dennehy had really any deep recruiting connections and it is clear he had zero idea about how things worked at the FBS level.

IMHO if you could find a candidate who is coming from the FCS ranks, but has a history of assistant coaching spots at big name FBS schools, and maybe some experience in a few other parts of the country, prior to his going to the FCS school, then you might have a viable candidate. For the most part, both Arslanian and Dennehy were one State guys. For both of them, outside of a three year stint in another State, more than 20 years earlier, they were exclusive to one State for their entire playing and coaching careers.
Keep in mind that the program at USU is much different than what it was in the Dennehy or Arslanian were here, facilities wise as well the University is spending double the amount to support the program

Locked Previous topicNext topic