Coaching Candidates

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
2004AG

Re: Coaching Candidates

Post by 2004AG » December 7th, 2020, 11:29 pm

stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:04 pm
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:57 pm
Whats the hurry. There are only 4 division 1 coaching vacancies. Vanderveldt will get the first choice with the money
they have to spend. The other programs looking for coaches only pay in the 500k range. From a money standpoint we should be attractive. We should be able to find and Hire a good coach whether it is a coordinator or a proven winner from a smaller
school.
Regarding recruiting this year is unique. I have read that this year there may only be 60-70% of the scholarships available for
High School recruits because college students will not lose a year of eligibility. It is projected that a lot of HS student will have to enroll in Junior College because there will not be enough scholarships to go a round. I believe that there will be a lot of
good players available for the late signing period and then if we look at players from the portal we should be ok.
Just my thoughts
Oh, don't worry. John Hartwell is no NO hurry.
I'm guessing you were the kind of kid who would try to sneak around and open his presents before Christmas.

I'm as excited as the next guy to find out who we hire, but it's December 7 and we still have a game to play this weekend. I think it would have been weird to make an announcement this week or last. I'm actually struggling to think of a single example of a time when a school made a HC hire mid-season.
Didn’t South Carolina just hire Shane Beamer like two days ago.......mid season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
splintorb

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 8th, 2020, 12:14 am

2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 11:29 pm
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
Whats the hurry. There are only 4 division 1 coaching vacancies. Vanderveldt will get the first choice with the money
they have to spend. The other programs looking for coaches only pay in the 500k range. From a money standpoint we should be attractive. We should be able to find and Hire a good coach whether it is a coordinator or a proven winner from a smaller
school.
Regarding recruiting this year is unique. I have read that this year there may only be 60-70% of the scholarships available for
High School recruits because college students will not lose a year of eligibility. It is projected that a lot of HS student will have to enroll in Junior College because there will not be enough scholarships to go a round. I believe that there will be a lot of
good players available for the late signing period and then if we look at players from the portal we should be ok.
Just my thoughts
I'm guessing you were the kind of kid who would try to sneak around and open his presents before Christmas.

I'm as excited as the next guy to find out who we hire, but it's December 7 and we still have a game to play this weekend. I think it would have been weird to make an announcement this week or last. I'm actually struggling to think of a single example of a time when a school made a HC hire mid-season.
Didn’t South Carolina just hire Shane Beamer like two days ago.......mid season?

And will muschamp was fired after Gary. It is not unreasonable to want a coach in place by now.

stwinward

Post by stwinward » December 8th, 2020, 7:28 am

This thread is closing in on 1000 posts which speaks volumes for how long the search is taking. Long enough that I expect the right hire at this point, whomever that is.

Also, can Jay Hill work here while John Hartwell is the AD? We wouldn't know who we were referring to in posts talking about JH. It's important things like that which need to be considered in the hiring process also. We did allow Matt Wells to work in the Mountain West though, so maybe Jay still has a chance.
These users thanked the author stwinward for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 8th, 2020, 7:32 am

stwinward wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 7:28 am
This thread is closing in on 1000 posts which speaks volumes for how long the search is taking. Long enough that I expect the right hire at this point, whomever that is.

Also, can Jay Hill work here while John Hartwell is the AD? We wouldn't know who we were referring to in posts talking about JH. It's important things like that which need to be considered in the hiring process also. We did allow Matt Wells to work in the Mountain West though, so maybe Jay still has a chance.
JH's right hand man is a big time Jay Hill fan since he hired him at Weber. I imagine he's in his ear, but I don't know for certain.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 8th, 2020, 7:35 am

Madmartigan wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 7:32 am
stwinward wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 7:28 am

JH's right hand man is a big time Jay Hill fan since he hired him at Weber. I imagine he's in his ear, but I don't know for certain.
I would imagine Bovee is in his ear a lot advocating for Jay Hill. Obviously it is John's decision, but Bovee will for sure have an influence as well.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 8th, 2020, 7:52 am

One thing about Jay Hill that I really like, is that I think his hiring would bring some sort of involvement from Urban Meyer. Urban has retired from coaching and is friends with Jay Hill. I have to assume that Urban would lend a helping hand to Jay Hill if Jay asked him to.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on December 8th, 2020, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 8th, 2020, 8:00 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 12:14 am
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

And will muschamp was fired after Gary. It is not unreasonable to want a coach in place by now.
It isn't unreasonable. I want a coach hired yesterday too. What is unreasonable is to assume there is some kind of a disaster happening because your timeline isn't satisfied.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
mcaggie1

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

stang

Coaching Candidates

Post by stang » December 8th, 2020, 8:03 am

2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

No. South Carolina’s football season is over. SC played their final game Dec. 5, then announced the hire Dec. 6. See how that works?
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
BLUERUFiO

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 8th, 2020, 8:26 am

stang wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 8:03 am
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

No. South Carolina’s football season is over. SC played their final game Dec. 5, then announced the hire Dec. 6. See how that works?
I mean, I guess, apparently Hartwell agrees with you and we all know Hartwell is incapable of being wrong.

I guess its too bad our season couldn't have ended after Air Force. We avoid another beatdown and could have had a coach out building the program up.

So are you saying Harrell was never offered the job? Or he was offered the job but Hartwell would have sat on the hire for the next 10 days without saying anything to anybody?

Also, I wonder why Hartwell hinted that a hire could be made in 7-10 days during halftime of the New Mexico game? I wonder if he would have broken his own rule about hiring during the season if the right guy accepted his offer?

stang

Post by stang » December 8th, 2020, 8:53 am

2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

I mean, I guess, apparently Hartwell agrees with you and we all know Hartwell is incapable of being wrong.

I guess its too bad our season couldn't have ended after Air Force. We avoid another beatdown and could have had a coach out building the program up.

So are you saying Harrell was never offered the job? Or he was offered the job but Hartwell would have sat on the hire for the next 10 days without saying anything to anybody?

Also, I wonder why Hartwell hinted that a hire could be made in 7-10 days during halftime of the New Mexico game? I wonder if he would have broken his own rule about hiring during the season if the right guy accepted his offer?
Yes, Harrell a offered, and I don’t know how Hartwell would have handled the hire as far as timing goes. I’m assuming the 7-10 day timeline was given with Harrell in mind, and that obviously didn’t work out.

If your criticism is that Hartwell missed on his man, that’s entirely fair because that’s what happened. I just don’t think it’s fair to criticize him for not bringing a coach in mid-season when, again, I honestly can’t think of a single time that a coach has been hired mid-season.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
oleblu111

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 8th, 2020, 9:08 am

GeoAg wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 8:00 am
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

It isn't unreasonable. I want a coach hired yesterday too. What is unreasonable is to assume there is some kind of a disaster happening because your timeline isn't satisfied.
It isn't a disaster, but a fair critique. It would have been nice to have a coach in place by now. If we get the right guy, we get the right guy.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » December 8th, 2020, 9:15 am

GeoAg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

A big Amen to that.

seabass

Post by seabass » December 8th, 2020, 9:21 am

stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

Yes, Harrell a offered, and I don’t know how Hartwell would have handled the hire as far as timing goes. I’m assuming the 7-10 day timeline was given with Harrell in mind, and that obviously didn’t work out.

If your criticism is that Hartwell missed on his man, that’s entirely fair because that’s what happened. I just don’t think it’s fair to criticize him for not bringing a coach in mid-season when, again, I honestly can’t think of a single time that a coach has been hired mid-season.
I’m in the camp of trusting Hartwell and letting it play out.
I’m pretty sure there have been many hires over the years after the regular season but before a bowl game. The one I can think of is when Dirk Koetter was hired as the ASU coach before the bowl game but the old coach (Bruce Snyder) stayed on to coach the bowl game.
Also pretty sure Rich Rodriguez was hired before Michigan’s bowl game and Lloyd Carr’s final game.
I’m sure there are others.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 8th, 2020, 9:50 am

If Jay Hill ends up being the guy, he certainly could have been hired a while ago. Other coaches have been hired before the end of the season, not just before the bowl game. Butch Davis was hired by North Carolina after they fired their coach several years back. The interim coach remained and coached the rest of the year, but it helped having a coach in place to get a jump on recruiting. North Carolina got a top 20 recruiting class which they never would have got if they waited until the end of the season.

Yes it is not the end of the world and isn't the most pressing issue. The most pressing issue is getting the right guy. Getting the right guy is more important than a quick hire. It is however a fair critique and would be nice to have a guy in place sooner than later so we don't lose more players and don't have a lost recruiting class.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 8th, 2020, 10:03 am

December 8th, 2020, 9:08 am
GeoAg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

It isn't a disaster, but a fair critique. It would have been nice to have a coach in place by now. If we get the right guy, we get the right guy.
It isn't a fair critique. What about the success of this next coach is dependent on him being hired 5 days ago versus 5 days from now? Nothing. Thus, not a fair critique.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 8th, 2020, 10:03 am

GeoAg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

Agreed. I am sure Hartwell will not pull a Duryea on us like Barnes did. And I don’t at all make reference to any current member of the coaching staff being named.....but that JH will not just give up and hire an underwhelming HC that we would all know won’t win. I still think someone has accepted and for whatever reason an announcement won’t come until later this week. Remember at the beginning of this process, JH said he would announce on Dec 15th. Later on he said 7 to ten days. That would be in the next few days.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 8th, 2020, 10:23 am

I would love it to happen sooner rather than later but I am fine with the process. I am sure JH wants it as soon as possible as well but there are a lot of moving parts.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 8th, 2020, 10:24 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:03 am
GeoAg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

Agreed. I am sure Hartwell will not pull a Duryea on us like Barnes did. And I don’t at all make reference to any current member of the coaching staff being named.....but that JH will not just give up and hire an underwhelming HC that we would all know won’t win. I still think someone has accepted and for whatever reason an announcement won’t come until later this week. Remember at the beginning of this process, JH said he would announce on Dec 15th. Later on he said 7 to ten days. That would be in the next few days.
If this is truly the case, this approach is KILLING recruiting. Believe that.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
oleblu111

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 8th, 2020, 10:28 am

2004AG wrote:
stang wrote: I'm as excited as the next guy to find out who we hire, but it's December 7 and we still have a game to play this weekend. I think it would have been weird to make an announcement this week or last. I'm actually struggling to think of a single example of a time when a school made a HC hire mid-season.
South Carolina's season ended Dec 5.

"But Oklahoma's hasn't ended."

Is that a South Carolina concern, or Beamer and Oklahoma?

[edit] just noticed this was already mentioned.
Last edited by brownjeans on December 8th, 2020, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 8th, 2020, 10:31 am

GeoAg wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 9:08 am
GeoAg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

It isn't a fair critique. What about the success of this next coach is dependent on him being hired 5 days ago versus 5 days from now? Nothing. Thus, not a fair critique.
I said getting the right guy was the most important thing, but yes the longer we go is damaging recruiting. It also opens the door to more good players transferring. Waiting forever to hire a coach absolutely is fair to be critiqued.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
aggies222004AG

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » December 8th, 2020, 10:32 am

Only a Sith thinks in absolutes. 7-10 days...I'm sure it's a fluid scenario. JH will let the public know when it's time. I'm not entitled to more than that.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 8th, 2020, 10:33 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:24 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
k
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

You ain’t kidding. That’s the worst part about it. I hate to think we would have to rely on the transfer portal for most of our recruits.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 8th, 2020, 10:56 am

newhouse9 wrote:Only a Sith thinks in absolutes. 7-10 days...I'm sure it's a fluid scenario. JH will let the public know when it's time. I'm not entitled to more than that.
It’s not about you or I knowing. It’s about recruits and current players knowing.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 8th, 2020, 11:05 am

2004AG wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:56 am
newhouse9 wrote:Only a Sith thinks in absolutes. 7-10 days...I'm sure it's a fluid scenario. JH will let the public know when it's time. I'm not entitled to more than that.
It’s not about you or I knowing. It’s about recruits and current players knowing.

They don't know anything right now either.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » December 8th, 2020, 11:19 am

December 8th, 2020, 9:50 am
If Jay Hill ends up being the guy, he certainly could have been hired a while ago. Other coaches have been hired before the end of the season, not just before the bowl game. Butch Davis was hired by North Carolina after they fired their coach several years back. The interim coach remained and coached the rest of the year, but it helped having a coach in place to get a jump on recruiting. North Carolina got a top 20 recruiting class which they never would have got if they waited until the end of the season.

Yes it is not the end of the world and isn't the most pressing issue. The most pressing issue is getting the right guy. Getting the right guy is more important than a quick hire. It is however a fair critique and would be nice to have a guy in place sooner than later so we don't lose more players and don't have a lost recruiting class.
The problem you are running in to with Hill at this point is at what point if you are Hill are you sick of being the fall back guy if everything else falls through? He was passed on in 2018 when Andersen was hired and now he is clearly not one of Hartwell's top candidates. It would surely make me think twice before accepting a job if I knew the guy hiring me got turned down by about 10 other people before I got the offer.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 8th, 2020, 11:20 am

For the record...what his exact words were:
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
aggies22

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » December 8th, 2020, 11:28 am

2004AG wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:56 am

That's important for sure. I'm just not going to worry about. Doesn't help JH hire the right person.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 8th, 2020, 11:29 am

I'm sure our Athletic Director has absolutely no idea how the hiring timeline may be affecting recruiting or current players (how could he possibly know that since he's only the director of the program) and he's just sitting at home thinking of reasons not to hire someone or to release the name of an already hired new coach just to drive the fans on the message board crazy.

Isn't it just a little more plausible to believe he has a damn good reason(s) for having not made an announcement yet?
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 2):
USU78mcaggie1

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » December 8th, 2020, 11:31 am

bluegrouse wrote:I'm sure our Athletic Director has absolutely no idea how the hiring timeline may be affecting recruiting or current players (how could he possibly know that since he's only the director of the program) and he's just sitting at home thinking of reasons not to hire someone or to release the name of an already hired new coach just to drive the fans on the message board crazy.

Isn't it just a little more plausible to believe he has a damn good reason(s) for having not made an announcement yet?
Maybe someone should tell him just in case.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 2):
bluegrousemcaggie1

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 8th, 2020, 11:44 am

bluegrouse wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 11:29 am
I'm sure our Athletic Director has absolutely no idea how the hiring timeline may be affecting recruiting or current players (how could he possibly know that since he's only the director of the program) and he's just sitting at home thinking of reasons not to hire someone or to release the name of an already hired new coach just to drive the fans on the message board crazy.

I have faith he'll get us a good coach, but just because he is an athletic director doesn't mean he is doing everything perfect. We saw 5 years ago an athletic director (who also knows far more than the average fan about the job) make a bad blunder.
Two years ago as well, although the basketball situation is more comparable since we had a long period of the season where we knew we needed a new coach similar to this football season.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
2004AG

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » December 8th, 2020, 11:50 am

bluegrouse wrote:

I have faith he'll get us a good coach, but just because he is an athletic director doesn't mean he is doing everything perfect. We saw 5 years ago an athletic director (who also knows far more than the average fan about the job) make a bad blunder.
Two years ago as well, although the basketball situation is more comparable since we had a long period of the season where we knew we needed a new coach similar to this football season.
He could be doing it wrong. But hiring someone fast just for the sake of hiring someone would only compound the problems at this point.

If you can’t hire the right guy fast, then you have to take fast out of the equation.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 2):
bluegrouseMadmartigan

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 8th, 2020, 11:55 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 11:50 am
bluegrouse wrote:

He could be doing it wrong. But hiring someone fast just for the sake of hiring someone would only compound the problems at this point.

If you can’t hire the right guy fast, then you have to take fast out of the equation.

I agree the most important thing is getting the right coach. We are all on the same page about that.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
aggies22BLUERUFiO

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 8th, 2020, 12:25 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:33 am
aggies22 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
k
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

You ain’t kidding. That’s the worst part about it. I hate to think we would have to rely on the transfer portal for most of our recruits.
If we want to compete in 2021 we are going to have to dive deep into the transfer portal.

MTAG

Post by MTAG » December 8th, 2020, 12:30 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 12:25 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
k
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

If we want to compete in 2021 we are going to have to dive deep into the transfer portal.
Jeff Choate's really good at that. :lol: Just kidding. I know he's pretty much out of the conversation, but I thought I'd mention his name one more time just for good old sakes.
These users thanked the author MTAG for the post:
aggies22

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » December 8th, 2020, 12:32 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 12:25 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
k
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
school.
Just my thoughts

Wasn't this going to be the case whether we had fired GA or not? Our roster is so out of balance right now.

Go Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic