Coaching Candidates

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bluegrouse

Re: Coaching Candidates

Post by bluegrouse » December 6th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Much rather shoot high and get turned down a couple of times than shoot low and hit the target.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 6th, 2020, 5:55 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 1:18 pm
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 12:19 pm
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 12:02 pm
USU78 wrote:Timing. They are least destructive to next Saturday's game if they wait to announce new staff until afterwards.
But more destructive to our recruiting class and more destructive to holding the current team together.
Where does one recruiting class and one season rank in the list of priorities for this hire?

For me, not very high. The next coach is going to have to win next season with the guys we have. If we have more than 5 new guys in any season that have a huge positive impact it'd be stunning (next season or beyond).
It should rate pretty high. You’re gonna need good players to win games. We have some big holes to fill.
If we make a good hire, and he's here more than one year, the holes will be filled.
I'm not worried about timing of we're talking about a few weeks difference.
Yeah yeah yeah yeah, I don’t get why it’s controversial to want to get a coach in here to recruit and build a staff ASAP so that next season he has some pieces to have a decent season. I’d rather make this rebuild a quick process rather than delayed. Dropping $$$$ on club seats to watch us get our asses kicked next year doesn’t sound too appealing. It’s been a month. That’s more than enough time to make a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This thing about the timing is soooo funny. It goes to show that many of us make comments without reading previous posts, me included. But in this case, I not only read a post concerning the timing, but made a post about it. Further, Hartwells presser was published from the time he let GA go and started his search. Hartwell announced that regardless of when he signs a coach, it will not be announced until Dec. 15th. Did everyone get that?????? Not ti around the 15th of DECEMBER!!!!!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 6th, 2020, 5:59 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 5:02 pm
No matter who we hire, very few players added in this recruiting class are going to make a big difference next season. Whoever we hire, coach is going to have to win games next year with the guys we have.

I mean, can anyone list 10 winning college football teams in the past 10 years who have had more than 5 true freshmen, and/or transfers star for them? I'll change my thinking if there is evidence that this is a reasonable expectation.
The exception to your last paragraph is going to be the ratification of the one time immediate transfer eligibility rule in January. This not so well kept secret is going to allow the new coach to raid the transfer portal for transfers with all sorts of eligibility remaining not just limited to grad transfers. To be successful next season the new staff must take this approach.

aggieman2828

Post by aggieman2828 » December 6th, 2020, 5:59 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
USU78 wrote:Timing. They are least destructive to next Saturday's game if they wait to announce new staff until afterwards.
But more destructive to our recruiting class and more destructive to holding the current team together.
Where does one recruiting class and one season rank in the list of priorities for this hire?

For me, not very high. The next coach is going to have to win next season with the guys we have. If we have more than 5 new guys in any season that have a huge positive impact it'd be stunning (next season or beyond).
It should rate pretty high. You’re gonna need good players to win games. We have some big holes to fill.
If we make a good hire, and he's here more than one year, the holes will be filled.
Yeah yeah yeah yeah, I don’t get why it’s controversial to want to get a coach in here to recruit and build a staff ASAP so that next season he has some pieces to have a decent season. I’d rather make this rebuild a quick process rather than delayed. Dropping $$$$ on club seats to watch us get our asses kicked next year doesn’t sound too appealing. It’s been a month. That’s more than enough time to make a decision.

This thing about the timing is soooo funny. It goes to show that many of us make comments without reading previous posts, me included. But in this case, I not only read a post concerning the timing, but made a post about it. Further, Hartwells presser was published from the time he let GA go and started his search. Hartwell announced that regardless of when he signs a coach, it will not be announced until Dec. 15th. Did everyone get that?????? Not ti around the 15th of DECEMBER!!!!!
He also was interviewed at halftime of the NM game that he hoped to make an announcement in the next 7-10 days. That tells me whatever plan he had fell through and who knows what option we are on now.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 6th, 2020, 6:26 pm

brownjeans wrote:
No matter who we hire, very few players added in this recruiting class are going to make a big difference next season. Whoever we hire, coach is going to have to win games next year with the guys we have.

I mean, can anyone list 10 winning college football teams in the past 10 years who have had more than 5 true freshmen, and/or transfers star for them? I'll change my thinking if there is evidence that this is a reasonable expectation.
I get what you are trying to say here but it seems a little too short sighted. While this recruiting class may not make an impact next year, but the years after that they better be. It’s not next year that I’m worried about with this class, it’s the years after. We need to get them in and start the development.

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » December 6th, 2020, 6:27 pm

Looking at how USC is playing tonight, I’m very disappointed we couldn’t land Graham Harrell. Would’ve been a home run hire even if it was just for a couple years.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 6th, 2020, 6:49 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 5:45 pm
Much rather shoot high and get turned down a couple of times than shoot low and hit the target.
Yep. You never regret getting turned down. It is the ones you didn't ask that will haunt you years later.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 6th, 2020, 7:18 pm

aggieman2828 wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 5:59 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:

He also was interviewed at halftime of the NM game that he hoped to make an announcement in the next 7-10 days. That tells me whatever plan he had fell through and who knows what option we are on now.

Thanks. I obviously didn’t hear that.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 6th, 2020, 8:00 pm

Slim80 wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 6:26 pm
brownjeans wrote:

I get what you are trying to say here but it seems a little too short sighted. While this recruiting class may not make an impact next year, but the years after that they better be. It’s not next year that I’m worried about with this class, it’s the years after. We need to get them in and start the development.
In the contrary, it's far sighted. A great coach will win games with our current players AND recruit great players and win games going forward. If there are holes in one recruiting class he'll fill and fix with other recruiting classes. That's what great coaches do.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 6th, 2020, 10:35 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 7:18 pm
aggieman2828 wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 5:59 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Thanks. I obviously didn’t hear that.
It also doesn't mean our first option isn't still in play. A lot of variables can move the timeline.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 7th, 2020, 8:08 am

Anyone know if this is true sounds like Jim Mora Jr. also may have turned down the HC job.
Last edited by JFW_AGGIES on December 7th, 2020, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 7th, 2020, 8:31 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 8:08 am
Anyone know if this is true sounds like Jim Mora also may have turned down the HC job.
I've talked to several different credible sources and I've never heard Jim Mora's name mentioned.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
splintorb

splintorb

Post by splintorb » December 7th, 2020, 8:45 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
Anyone know if this is true sounds like Jim Mora also may have turned down the HC job.
An 85 year old coach...please no...pleeaaaseeee no.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 7th, 2020, 9:06 am

He was mediocre at ucla. Might be able to up recruiting at USU, but overall there are much better choices.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 7th, 2020, 9:45 am

splintorb wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 8:45 am
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
I'm thinking the poster meant Jim Mora Jr., which I still wouldn't have been thrilled with.

splintorb

Post by splintorb » December 7th, 2020, 9:46 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 9:45 am
splintorb wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 8:45 am
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
I'm thinking the poster meant Jim Mora Jr., which I still wouldn't have been thrilled with.
Haha it was mainly meant to get a laugh because I felt about the same as both of those hires...
These users thanked the author splintorb for the post:
aggies22

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » December 7th, 2020, 10:57 am

Finally some news! Sean Lewis and Willie Fritz are kind of surprising to me.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 7th, 2020, 11:12 am

From that list give me, in order: Lewis, Hill, Maile, Grimes, Fritz

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

GUS

Post by GUS » December 7th, 2020, 11:41 am

3rdGen nailed it for me. That's my order also.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 7th, 2020, 11:44 am

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 10:57 am

I'll say this. I have been told names that HAVE interviewed that are NOT on that list. I have NEVER heard the names of Fritz
or Grimes in my conversations. I'm not sure how correct this dude is?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
ratofallaggiesUSU78

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 7th, 2020, 11:45 am

Schnicklfritz is an absolute non-starter. I get it's Tulane and nobody wins there and he took 'em to two bowls, with 3 total winning seasons, but he's overall got a losing record and his stock is not increasing. He's also already earning $1.2M. So he's expensive and he's not on an upward trend.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
aggies22

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 7th, 2020, 11:45 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 11:44 am
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:

I'll say this. I have been told names that HAVE interviewed that are NOT on that list. I have NEVER heard the names of Fritz
Agreed, take this list with a grain of salt.....
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
aggies22

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 7th, 2020, 11:47 am

Define "interview" for purposes of KSL-boy's posting. Does it mean "I called the AD and somebody took my call"?

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » December 7th, 2020, 11:50 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 11:44 am
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:

Agreed, take this list with a grain of salt.....
So essentially we still know nothing. This coaching search is wonderful lol.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 7th, 2020, 12:03 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 8:31 am
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
I've talked to several different credible sources and I've never heard Jim Mora's name mentioned.
I'm curious 22, of the people you've heard who have been interviewed, are they're any head-scratchers? Any big-name guys or people who surprised to have shown interest? Or has it been par for the course thus far? If you can't share specifics, that's fine - just want your general take. Thanks.

bpd

Post by bpd » December 7th, 2020, 12:06 pm

I think this is a list leaked from the AD to this KSL dude who interviewed, but will not get the job. Put a little smoke screen out there, while you JH goes after his top two, which are not listed.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
USU78BLUERUFiO

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 7th, 2020, 12:11 pm

Huh.

Give me Lewis, Hill, or Leipold from the names mentioned. I would be okay with Brian Johnson too.

I just don’t know what to believe at this point. :lol:

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » December 7th, 2020, 12:12 pm

I know people aren't jumping for joy with Fritz, however he has an OC named Will Hall. He was the Head Coach at North Alabama and West Georgia both D2 schools. West Georgia never won anything and in two years he took them to the D2 national championship game. He turned both those programs around and his brand of football is fun to watch. If he has the quarterback he will throw it around. I know Fritz isn't popular but be familiar with the name Will Hall because when he gets his shot at a D1 job, he will be successful. Oh, and he's young and sexy with what I believe is hair that Tania would approve. lol
https://tulanegreenwave.com/sports/foot ... -hall/1292
These users thanked the author GeorgiaAggie for the post:
AGinNEIowa

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 7th, 2020, 12:13 pm

bpd wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 12:06 pm
I think this is a list leaked from the AD to this KSL dude who interviewed, but will not get the job. Put a little smoke screen out there, while you JH goes after his top two, which are not listed.
Memorandum to Press Outlets:

In Re: Low-Hanging Fruit
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
ineptimusprimeBLUERUFiO

aggieman2828

Post by aggieman2828 » December 7th, 2020, 12:18 pm

GeorgiaAggie wrote:I know people aren't jumping for joy with Fritz, however he has an OC named Will Hall. He was the Head Coach at North Alabama and West Georgia both D2 schools. West Georgia never won anything and in two years he took them to the D2 national championship game. He turned both those programs around and his brand of football is fun to watch. If he has the quarterback he will throw it around. I know Fritz isn't popular but be familiar with the name Will Hall because when he gets his shot at a D1 job, he will be successful. Oh, and he's young and sexy with what I believe is hair that Tania would approve. lol
Will Hall was just named the new HC at Southern Miss.

These users thanked the author aggieman2828 for the post:
USU78

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 7th, 2020, 12:18 pm

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 12:12 pm
I know people aren't jumping for joy with Fritz, however he has an OC named Will Hall. He was the Head Coach at North Alabama and West Georgia both D2 schools. West Georgia never won anything and in two years he took them to the D2 national championship game. He turned both those programs around and his brand of football is fun to watch. If he has the quarterback he will throw it around. I know Fritz isn't popular but be familiar with the name Will Hall because when he gets his shot at a D1 job, he will be successful. Oh, and he's young and sexy with what I believe is hair that Tania would approve. lol
Prediction: Tania isn’t feeling his hair.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 7th, 2020, 12:19 pm

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 12:12 pm
So why not just go after Hall? If he is as good as you say he is, now would be a good time to get him for cheap. Hartwell could play his own version of "Moneyball" with this hire.

Eutaw St. Aggie

TrueBlueAggie123

Coaching Candidates

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » December 7th, 2020, 12:21 pm

This is from KSL regarding Graham Harrell. There’s a ton of conflicting information out there regarding what happened with him. Why would we offer if we hadn’t even interviewed him?

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 7th, 2020, 12:25 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 12:21 pm
This is from KSL regarding Graham Harrell. There’s a ton of conflicting information out there regarding what happened with him. Why would we offer if we hadn’t even interviewed him?
Once again. Define "interview." They could have had 13-1/2 conversations, three or four in person, and if you don't define them as "interview" they aren't an interview.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
aggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 7th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Slightly confused at this point.

Locked Previous topicNext topic