Coaching Candidates

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

Re: Coaching Candidates

Post by Madmartigan » December 1st, 2020, 10:59 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 10:18 am

I hope this “older has been type” rumor is false or an attempt at humor.

Someone like Helfrich getting the gig would piss me off. He managed to fail at Oregon. How bad would someone who failed with all the Nike money fail at a place like USU? A guy like Helfrich is such a high downside, low upside move.

Would much prefer even hiring Frank over any “older has been type.” I still love the idea of Jay Hill and like a lot of the younger P5 coordinator names thrown around (Harrell, the guy at FSU, even Howell on Mendenhall’s staff).

I worry we are going to regret not hiring Jay Hill again in two years.
If this tweet is to believed, this tips the scales firmly to Chico Canales.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
Sl7vk

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » December 1st, 2020, 11:01 am

USU78 wrote:What do we think about this guy? He's certainly affordable:
Sean Lewis/Annual salary
440,000 USD
Image result for sean lewis salary
At 33, Lewis is the youngest FBS coach in the nation. He's also the lowest-paid coach in the Mid-American Conference, with a base salary of $440,000 that ranks 119th in the nation, according to the list of 2019 FBS head coaching salaries collected by USA TODAY.Jan 6, 2020
https://kentstatesports.com/staff-direc ... -lewis/308
Not that guy. But you’re in the right conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2020, 11:12 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 11:01 am
Sean Lewis/Annual salary
440,000 USD
At 33, Lewis is the youngest FBS coach in the nation. He's also the lowest-paid coach in the Mid-American Conference, with a base salary of $440,000 that ranks 119th in the nation, according to the list of 2019 FBS head coaching salaries collected by USA TODAY.Jan 6, 2020

Lance Leipold would be a good hire and would fit the "a little older" statement. I would be fine with him. He has done a good job at Buffalo and was awesome at Wisconsin Whitewater.

Jim Mcelwain did coach in the MW, but he wouldn't excite me as much.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ratofallaggies

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 1st, 2020, 11:13 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Sean Lewis/Annual salary
440,000 USD
I get that people are excited about this guy:
Football head coach Lance Leipold signed a contract extension that could keep him in Buffalo through the 2024 season, UB announced Friday morning.

Leipold currently earns an annual base salary of $465,000 with additional compensation of $150,000 and his salary will remain under the same terms, according to The Buffalo News.

Leipold, 55, led the Bulls to their first-ever bowl win this season. Under his command, the Bulls have won 24 games over the last three seasons, the most wins over a three-year span in school history.
Not sure we could get him. The blasting the Buffies gave KSU was historic. He's got his eyes on the Big10/11, I imagine.

https://ubbulls.com/staff-directory/lance-leipold/34

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 1st, 2020, 11:15 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 11:12 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Sean Lewis/Annual salary
440,000 USD

Lance Leipold would be a good hire and would fit the "a little older" statement. I would be fine with him. He has done a good job at Buffalo and was awesome at Wisconsin Whitewater.

Would take Lance Leipold in a heartbeat actually.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2020, 11:19 am

Sl7vk wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 11:15 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 11:12 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Sean Lewis/Annual salary
440,000 USD

Would take Lance Leipold in a heartbeat actually.
As would I. He has turned around Buffalo, but his record at Wisconsin Whitewater is incredible. I get that it is D3, but anyone who goes 109-6 somewhere knows how to coach.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 1st, 2020, 11:35 am

Leipold may have his sites set on the BigTen but he may follow the Urban Myer path by going from the MAC to the MWC to a P5 job.

I have no doubt the guy can coach. Just wonder about fit and if he could recruit to Logan, or if he’d embrace the formula that GA and Wells proved works at USU.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 1st, 2020, 11:43 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 11:35 am
Leipold may have his sites set on the BigTen but he may follow the Urban Myer path by going from the MAC to the MWC to a P5 job.

I have no doubt the guy can coach. Just wonder about fit and if he could recruit to Logan, or if he’d embrace the formula that GA and Wells proved works at USU.
I think MAC to Big 10 is maybe too big a leap. Seem to be getting their coaches from better G5 programs or P5 bottom feeders.

The nice thing about Leipold is that he might just stick around, because of his age.
If he brings Jaret Patterson with him that would be bonus. :)

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » December 1st, 2020, 12:04 pm

These users thanked the author Naked Bull Rider for the post:
3rdGenAggie

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 1st, 2020, 12:11 pm

McElwain would be a quality hire as well, he flipped CSU and is winning at cmu as well

MTAG

Post by MTAG » December 1st, 2020, 12:13 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Sean Lewis/Annual salary
440,000 USD

Jonny you said it’s not a done deal, but whoever this guy is, is this who Hartwell has his heart set on, or are there still other candidates firmly in the mix?

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 1st, 2020, 12:30 pm

MTAG wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 12:13 pm
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Sean Lewis/Annual salary
440,000 USD

Jonny you said it’s not a done deal, but whoever this guy is, is this who Hartwell has his heart set on, or are there still other candidates firmly in the mix?
Maybe he's referring to "guys" not "guy". It's not final but there are a handful of guys that are finalists
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
aggies22

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » December 1st, 2020, 12:34 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
MTAG wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Sean Lewis/Annual salary
440,000 USD

Maybe he's referring to "guys" not "guy". It's not final but there are a handful of guys that are finalists
Thank you. I don’t know who the coach is going to be. I think you’re specifically asking about Choate, and I just don’t believe he is in the mix.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2020, 12:53 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 12:11 pm
McElwain would be a quality hire as well, he flipped CSU and is winning at cmu as well
He would be ok. He is a retread, but actually wasn't as bad at Florida as some claim. They honestly fired him too quickly.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 1st, 2020, 12:54 pm

I’d take McElwain in a heart beat. He had mediocre results at Florida but that was just an odd fit for him. He’s an offense guy, had good results everywhere else, been successful in the MWC, and seen the inner workings of Alabama. He’s doing a great job at CMU after taking over a 1-11 team as he was MAC coach of the year last year. He’s a down to earth Montana boy that would relate to life in Cache Valley and may even decide to stay and end his career here.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 1st, 2020, 12:59 pm

We can't afford Jim McElwain.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 1st, 2020, 1:00 pm

I'd be excited for McElwain too. He has rebuilt G5 programs from garbage twice in CSU and CMU. He's proven he can do the job. He makes too much though so I would be surprised if it was him.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2020, 1:04 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 12:54 pm
I’d take McElwain in a heart beat. He had mediocre results at Florida but that was just an odd fit for him. He’s an offense guy, had good results everywhere else, been successful in the MWC, and seen the inner workings of Alabama. He’s doing a great job at CMU after taking over a 1-11 team as he was MAC coach of the year last year. He’s a down to earth Montana boy that would relate to life in Cache Valley and may even decide to stay and end his career here.
And he went to back to back conference championship games at Florida. His death threats comment was stupid, but the results have been there in his coaching career.

Notatrueaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by Notatrueaggie » December 1st, 2020, 1:09 pm

I just spoke to someone very close to frank. She said that if frank doesn’t get the head coaching job, they will be leaving usu. Tbh i do think he is the right head coach for the job, and i can confirm that he is a great guy but even better loves utah state. He wouldn’t bolt for a p5 job if he has success here as his blood is true aggie blue. He has a great personality and loves the players. He might not be the coach that is super energetic, but i think he will bring us the most success out of any p5 coordinator or jay hill. I hope he gets the job. I can confirm this information is 100% accurate and this person is very close to frank.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » December 1st, 2020, 1:14 pm

So he is so loyal to USU if he was head coach he wouldn't bolt for a better job but if he doesn't get the head coaching job he is so loyal, he is going to leave. Got it.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 1st, 2020, 1:17 pm

The more I think about it, if Hartwell is set on an old has been retread, I think I would prefer Frank. It would be a little underwhelming but maybe he’s the man for the job.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
ratofallaggies

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 1st, 2020, 1:17 pm

TrueAG wrote:So he is so loyal to USU if he was head coach he wouldn't bolt for a better job but if he doesn't get the head coaching job he is so loyal, he is going to leave. Got it.
Have to go where you’re wanted. Maybe leaving puts him in a better place to get the job here when it comes open in 4-6 years after Chico retires.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 6):
MadmartiganSl7vkBustaMcNuttBLUERUFiOaggieguy13AGinNEIowa

Hail Aggies!

Notatrueaggie

Post by Notatrueaggie » December 1st, 2020, 1:21 pm

TrueAG wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 1:14 pm
So he is so loyal to USU if he was head coach he wouldn't bolt for a better job but if he doesn't get the head coaching job he is so loyal, he is going to leave. Got it.
It’s about his kids and his family. I wouldn’t blame him for leaving if all his whole job is recruiting. He has kids that he never gets to see. plus the training for recruiting he would have to do again if he stayed... I think he wants to be around his kids, that’s what she told me lol

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 1st, 2020, 1:24 pm

TrueAG wrote:
Frank has turned down many offers from other programs that paid more, a lot more.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 1st, 2020, 1:26 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 1:17 pm
TrueAG wrote:So he is so loyal to USU if he was head coach he wouldn't bolt for a better job but if he doesn't get the head coaching job he is so loyal, he is going to leave. Got it.
Have to go where you’re wanted. Maybe leaving puts him in a better place to get the job here when it comes open in 4-6 years after Chico retires.

Way to throw Chico in there.

GoldcoastAggie

Post by GoldcoastAggie » December 1st, 2020, 1:47 pm

Notatrueaggie wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 1:09 pm
I just spoke to someone very close to frank. She said that if frank doesn’t get the head coaching job, they will be leaving usu. Tbh i do think he is the right head coach for the job, and i can confirm that he is a great guy but even better loves utah state. He wouldn’t bolt for a p5 job if he has success here as his blood is true aggie blue. He has a great personality and loves the players. He might not be the coach that is super energetic, but i think he will bring us the most success out of any p5 coordinator or jay hill. I hope he gets the job. I can confirm this information is 100% accurate and this person is very close to frank.
My only reservation to Frank would be if he has enough connections in his coaching career to make some quality hires for his staff. I don't really know anything but it seems as if most coaches pick up those connections as they work on various staffs throughout their career. Since Frank has only worked here I would wonder if he would have trouble finding quality guys to fill out his staff.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 1st, 2020, 1:52 pm

GoldcoastAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 1:47 pm
Notatrueaggie wrote:
My only reservation to Frank would be if he has enough connections in his coaching career to make some quality hires for his staff. I don't really know anything but it seems as if most coaches pick up those connections as they work on various staffs throughout their career. Since Frank has only worked here I would wonder if he would have trouble finding quality guys to fill out his staff.
Good point. He did coach at Vanderbilt for 2 years. Other than that it’s been all here. I don’t think he would have trouble getting good coaches because there are so many out there to choose from.

MTAG

Post by MTAG » December 1st, 2020, 2:00 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 12:34 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
MTAG wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Sean Lewis/Annual salary
440,000 USD

Thank you. I don’t know who the coach is going to be. I think you’re specifically asking about Choate, and I just don’t believe he is in the mix.

Actually I was talking about that coach in the MAC that you made reference to. That’s too bad on Choate though!

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » December 1st, 2020, 2:03 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 1:52 pm
GoldcoastAggie wrote:
Notatrueaggie wrote:
Good point. He did coach at Vanderbilt for 2 years. Other than that it’s been all here. I don’t think he would have trouble getting good coaches because there are so many out there to choose from.
I have mentioned it before, but I think that was a big part of the issues Dave Arslanian and Mick Dennehy had. Outside of a two/three year stint, they had spent their entire playing and coaching career (including their high school and college playing days) in one State, Utah for Arslanian, and Montana for Dennehy.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 1st, 2020, 2:10 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 12:59 pm
We can't afford Jim McElwain.
I disagree

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » December 1st, 2020, 2:12 pm

Dillingham is another name to keep your eye on.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
mcaggie1

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 1st, 2020, 2:14 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 1:17 pm
The more I think about it, if Hartwell is set on an old has been retread, I think I would prefer Frank. It would be a little underwhelming but maybe he’s the man for the job.
What? I feel like...

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 1st, 2020, 2:18 pm

Sounds like some good candidates, how many if any have been in Logan. With the exception of Frank

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 1st, 2020, 2:19 pm

TrueAG wrote:
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
aggieguy13AggiePT

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 1st, 2020, 2:22 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 2:03 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 1:52 pm
GoldcoastAggie wrote:
Notatrueaggie wrote:
I have mentioned it before, but I think that was a big part of the issues Dave Arslanian and Mick Dennehy had. Outside of a two/three year stint, they had spent their entire playing and coaching career (including their high school and college playing days) in one State, Utah for Arslanian, and Montana for Dennehy.
That is probably fair, but we live in a totally different world now. Not sure if it applies to coaching but the internet has totally changed networking and hiring, but again who knows how that translates to coaching.

Locked Previous topicNext topic