Coaching Candidates

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Sl7vk

Re: Coaching Candidates

Post by Sl7vk » November 11th, 2020, 7:53 pm

JFWAggie wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 7:34 pm
ArizonaAggie wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 7:31 pm
JFWAggie wrote:
ArizonaAggie wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 7:03 pm
Brian Johnson

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

No thanks
Why? He knows Texas and Florida and is young and energetic. He's an OC in the SEC.

Ute castoff
I actually love the idea.

The guy is the OC at Florida and makes 540 a year.
I think HE might be the one waiting for a better gig but boy I think he’d do wonders in Logan!

Sure beats Grimey Grimes.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 11th, 2020, 8:21 pm

He definitely would be an up and comer. How old is he, 33?

He wouldn't be my first choice, but he is well connected and would definitely be 10 steps above Maile.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 11th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Brian Johnson would be awesome. I love me some AC/DC.

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » November 11th, 2020, 8:48 pm

My brother played for Gary and then Wells at USU. Talking with him today, he said he’s heard from several coaches/players he is in touch with that at least part of Hartwell moving on from Gary was that Gary refused to fire some combination of Reeder/Maile/Collins as coordinators, when Hartwell told him to.
Makes me wonder how seriously Maile’s shot will be at the opening. I know the board is split on guys who would like to see him get a shot and guys who don’t think he’s the guy...but I’d think of Hartwell was asking Gary to can him, he wouldn’t get a serious look. (Barring an incredible turnaround with the rest of the season)

Living amongst the Zoobs.... :anonymous:

ArizonaAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by ArizonaAggie » November 11th, 2020, 9:46 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:My brother played for Gary and then Wells at USU. Talking with him today, he said he’s heard from several coaches/players he is in touch with that at least part of Hartwell moving on from Gary was that Gary refused to fire some combination of Reeder/Maile/Collins as coordinators, when Hartwell told him to.
Makes me wonder how seriously Maile’s shot will be at the opening. I know the board is split on guys who would like to see him get a shot and guys who don’t think he’s the guy...but I’d think of Hartwell was asking Gary to can him, he wouldn’t get a serious look. (Barring an incredible turnaround with the rest of the season)
That speaks highly of Gary if that's true. Although at the same time, something had to be done

MTAG

Post by MTAG » November 11th, 2020, 9:53 pm

Hello fellow Aggies

Long time Aggie fan and chat board observer living in Montana. I just wanted to share my 2 cents with you on the coaching search. A few years ago, I moved to Montana to go to school at Montana Tech, the halfway point between Montana and Montana State. I follow the Cat Griz rivalry very closely but have no affiliation for either team being from Utah. Because of this, I also follow the Big Sky conference very closely, and Jay Hill is the real deal, I’m telling you. I’ve seen the man coach in person and he’s the real deal.

There was one poster however who suggested taking a look at Montana State head coach Jeff Choate, and boy is he a diamond in the rough. You’d be getting an absolute steal with that man. In his 4 seasons as the Bobcats head coach, he took them from 4-7, to 11-4 and their first semifinal appearance since the 80’s. He prides himself for being a defensive minded coach with very tough physical defenses and hard nosed ground and pound offense. Prior to his time at MSU, he was the dline and special teams coach at Washington with Chris Peterson. He’s also coached at Florida (LB), Boise State (LB, ST), Washington State (LB), and even at Utah State from 02-04 (S, ST). Not to mention that with the FCS playing a spring season, he’s available right now.

He’s 4-0 against the arch rivals Montana. This may not seem like a flashy hire but trust me you’d be getting one of the biggest rising stars in the coaching profession. He has tons of recruiting connections to the Western United States, with very strong ties to Idaho, Washington, and California, but also has ties to Texas and Florida. He loves recruiting, and in some ways, it may be one of his favorite aspects of coaching the game. Idk how many people who read this board have connections to boosters or the athletic department, but if we’re gonna start returning our program to glory, I think Jeff Choate is exactly what we’re looking for. That said, I trust Hartwell to make the right decision but it’s time for a change in culture, and Choate would finally be the spark we need!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/herosports ... dates/amp/
Last edited by MTAG on November 11th, 2020, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author MTAG for the post (total 4):
slcaggaggies22AngusAgAggiefan33

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 11th, 2020, 9:58 pm

ArizonaAggie wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 9:46 pm
utahcountyaggie wrote:My brother played for Gary and then Wells at USU. Talking with him today, he said he’s heard from several coaches/players he is in touch with that at least part of Hartwell moving on from Gary was that Gary refused to fire some combination of Reeder/Maile/Collins as coordinators, when Hartwell told him to.
That speaks highly of Gary if that's true. Although at the same time, something had to be done

I agree.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 11th, 2020, 10:05 pm

MTAG wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 9:53 pm
Hello fellow Aggies

Long time Aggie fan and chat board observer living in Montana. I just wanted to share my 2 cents with you on the coaching search. A few years ago, I moved to Montana to go to school at Montana Tech, the halfway point between Montana and Montana State. I follow the Cat Griz rivalry very closely but have no affiliation for either team being from Utah. Because of this, I also follow the Big Sky conference very closely, and Jay Hill is the real deal, I’m telling you. I’ve seen the man coach in person and he’s the real deal.

There was one poster however who suggested taking a look at Montana State head coach Jeff Choate, and boy is he a diamond in the rough. You’d be getting an absolute steal with that man. In his 4 seasons as the Bobcats head coach, he took them from 4-7, to 11-4 and their first semifinal appearance since the 80’s. He prides himself for being a defensive minded coach with very tough physical defenses and hard nosed ground and pound offense. Prior to his time at MSU, he was the dline and special teams coach at Washington with Chris Peterson. He’s also coached at Florida (LB), Boise State (LB, ST), Washington State (LB), and even at Utah State from 02-04 (S, ST). Not to mention that with the FCS playing a spring season, he’s available right now.

He’s 4-0 against the arch rivals Montana. This may not seem like a flashy hire but trust me you’d be getting one of the biggest rising stars in the coaching profession. He has tons of recruiting connections to the Western United States, with very strong ties to Idaho, Washington, and California, but also has ties to Texas and Florida. He loves recruiting, and in some ways, it may be one of his favorite aspects of coaching the game. Idk how many people who read this board have connections to boosters or the athletic department, but if we’re gonna start returning our program to glory, I think Jeff Choate is exactly what we’re looking for. That said, I trust Hartwell to make the right decision but it’s time for a change in culture, and Choate would finally be the spark we need!

Great insight. He seems intriguing to me. I hope we interview him. Seems like he could be a good fit.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 11th, 2020, 10:15 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 10:05 pm
MTAG wrote:
Hello fellow Aggies

Great insight. He seems intriguing to me. I hope we interview him. Seems like he could be a good fit.
Send me his resume, I’ll get back to you 😊
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
USU78

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

MTAG

Post by MTAG » November 11th, 2020, 10:44 pm

taniataylor wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 10:15 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 10:05 pm
MTAG wrote:
Hello fellow Aggies

Send me his resume, I’ll get back to you 😊
His resume is pretty much in my post :lol: I walked you through everywhere he’s been :lol:

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 12th, 2020, 2:48 am

utahcountyaggie wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 8:48 pm
My brother played for Gary and then Wells at USU. Talking with him today, he said he’s heard from several coaches/players he is in touch with that at least part of Hartwell moving on from Gary was that Gary refused to fire some combination of Reeder/Maile/Collins as coordinators, when Hartwell told him to.
I'm liking Hartwell more and more. No time for bulls**t!

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » November 12th, 2020, 3:44 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
November 12th, 2020, 2:48 am
utahcountyaggie wrote:
I'm liking Hartwell more and more. No time for bulls**t!
No time for BS, and unafraid to make the tough calls. This story at least seems plausible given what happened with Matt Wells after the 2016 season and Hartwell hiring Yost. Hartwell has a good track record when he is given the control over hiring coaches, so I trust him to do a good job with this hire as well.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 12th, 2020, 6:22 am

utahcountyaggie wrote:
I think that if Mr. Hartwell REALLY wanted Frank gone as a solution to our early season woes, he would NOT have placed Frank in charge of trying to save our season.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 11):
jeffdan25BustaMcNuttBLUERUFiOhvaggieAngusAgoleblu111bluegrouseutahcountyaggiegomretat918AGG and one more user

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 12th, 2020, 9:02 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 12th, 2020, 6:22 am
utahcountyaggie wrote:
I think that if Mr. Hartwell REALLY wanted Frank gone as a solution to our early season woes, he would NOT have placed Frank in charge of trying to save our season.
Yep. And reeder is literally just 3 games into the job as is Collins. Highly unlikely the ad was trying to force a coach to fire guys in positions they were just barely put in. Gary's issues are clearly bigger than not wanting to fire a few assistants he just hired or put in new positions.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
aggies22BLUERUFiO

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 12th, 2020, 9:36 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 12th, 2020, 6:22 am
utahcountyaggie wrote:
Yeah if JH really wanted Maile gone he would have not put him in a position as interim where, if he goes say 4-1, then he’ll be pressured to give him the gig full time. If he really wanted reeder gone that badly he could fire him now and it’s not like we’d be any worse off. Collins may not be a good DC but he’s our best recruiter. Plus I don’t see GA as unwilling to make these changes since he demoted Ena after one year and Ena basically shifted the course of his entire career to come here and he still fired him as DC.

I could see staffing issues being part of the bigger problem (I think our S&C staff has declined considerably for one) and perhaps JH wanted GA to make some changes or expand his hiring footprint and GA isn’t up to making those changes at this point in his career
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
aggies22

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 12th, 2020, 11:31 am

I don’t doubt that this is what your brother was told but it is not even remotely accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 4):
aggies22Madmartiganoleblu111Aggie formerly in Hawaii

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

KissMyAg

Post by KissMyAg » November 12th, 2020, 11:53 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
November 12th, 2020, 11:31 am
I don’t doubt that this is what your brother was told but it is not even remotely accurate.

It’s somewhat accurate. I would say the firing piece is not accurate but demoting and adjustments to positions is. JH plays an armchair coach more than he sometimes should be. He got away with it with Wells but a tenured coach will tell him to stick it.
These users thanked the author KissMyAg for the post:
oleblu111

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 12th, 2020, 1:54 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
November 12th, 2020, 11:53 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
November 12th, 2020, 11:31 am

It’s somewhat accurate. I would say the firing piece is not accurate but demoting and adjustments to positions is. JH plays an armchair coach more than he sometimes should be. He got away with it with Wells but a tenured coach will tell him to stick it.
I'm sure there were discussions about the situation, but there is no way the reason Gary was fired 3 games into his second season was because he didn't shake up the coaching staff this quickly after just shaking up the coaching staff in the offseason. Gary was fired for more than wins and losses. USU would never fire a coach this quickly for strictly on field performance, especially a coach that is revered and many consider the savior of Aggie football.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
USU78Madmartigan

NevadaAggie
Been thanked: 0

Post by NevadaAggie » November 13th, 2020, 8:29 am

Two names I have heard that are vying for the job.

Kent Baer
Butch Jones

Both would be good hires.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 13th, 2020, 8:31 am

NevadaAggie wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 8:29 am

Kent Baer
Butch Jones

Lol

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 13th, 2020, 8:38 am

NevadaAggie wrote:

Kent Baer
Butch Jones

Special assistants for nick saban are definitely someone who should be given an opportunity. Butch had a rough go at Tennessee but who hasn’t in the last twenty years. Butch was very good before that in cincinatti.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/volswire.u ... tball/amp/

NevadaAggie

Post by NevadaAggie » November 13th, 2020, 8:44 am

slcagg wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 8:38 am
NevadaAggie wrote:

Kent Baer
Butch Jones

Special assistants for nick saban are definitely someone who should be given an opportunity. Butch had a rough go at Tennessee but who hasn’t in the last twenty years. Butch was very good before that in cincinatti.

Agreed. And at one point he had them at #6 in the nation. You could say that was the best Tennessee has been in 20 years.

Kent Baer would outwork anyone before he retired as well. He loves this place.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 13th, 2020, 9:19 am

slcagg wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 8:38 am
NevadaAggie wrote:

Kent Baer
Butch Jones

The thing Butch Jones does best is recruit. He is an incredible recruiter.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 13th, 2020, 10:08 am

Yeah butch jones wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't complain if he was the guy. He also is young enough that he still has something to prove. He actually wasnt that bad at tennessee other than his final season where the wheels fell off.

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » November 13th, 2020, 2:05 pm

Butch Jones had a lot of success at Cincinnati and Central Michigan, and was decent at Tennessee till the season he got fired. I definitely wouldn’t be complaining if he was the guy. He has tons of experience.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 13th, 2020, 3:28 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 2:05 pm
Butch Jones had a lot of success at Cincinnati and Central Michigan, and was decent at Tennessee till the season he got fired. I definitely wouldn’t be complaining if he was the guy. He has tons of experience.
Yeah he is the only coach that has won 9 games at Tennessee since Fulmer. I would guess we don't go the retread route, but as far as retreads, he'd be near the top of the list. I'd prefer him over someone like Rich Rod or rick neuheisel(who was once rumored for the job years ago).

MTAG

Post by MTAG » November 13th, 2020, 4:33 pm

We need somebody with fire and passion and somebody who’s a head coach right now. I’m telling you all, Montana States Jeff Choate is the way to go. I’ve seen the man coach in person, and he’s exactly what we need. See my above post to get more information on him.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 13th, 2020, 4:36 pm

MTAG wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 4:33 pm
We need somebody with fire and passion and somebody who’s a head coach right now. I’m telling you all, Montana States Jeff Choate is the way to go. I’ve seen the man coach in person, and he’s exactly what we need. See my above post to get more information on him.
I really hope he interviews.

MTAG

Post by MTAG » November 13th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 4:36 pm
MTAG wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 4:33 pm
I really hope he interviews.
Same. He has everything we’re looking for. It’d be a home run hire.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 13th, 2020, 4:49 pm

Hell no on Butch Jones

NevadaAggie

Post by NevadaAggie » November 13th, 2020, 5:41 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 4:49 pm
Hell no on Butch Jones

Why?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 13th, 2020, 6:07 pm

NevadaAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Hell no on Butch Jones

Why?
He was a disaster at Tennessee.

I don’t like retreads either.

NevadaAggie

Post by NevadaAggie » November 13th, 2020, 6:14 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 6:07 pm
NevadaAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Hell no on Butch Jones

Why?

In the last 20+ years he’s 1 of 2 coaches to get them to a top 10 ranking? Tennessee is a dumpster fire and he’s the only coach to have some success. Look at them now they just lost to Arkansas.

Not to mention he’s been good everywhere else he’s been.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 13th, 2020, 6:16 pm

NevadaAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 6:07 pm
NevadaAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Hell no on Butch Jones

Why?

In the last 20+ years he’s 1 of 2 coaches to get them to a top 10 ranking? Tennessee is a dumpster fire and he’s the only coach to have some success. Look at them now they just lost to Arkansas.

Not to mention he’s been good everywhere else he’s been.
They were a dumpster fire with him too.

I’d much rather give your boy Choate a shot.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 13th, 2020, 6:54 pm

Looking in to Choate, I think he looks like the type of guy we may target. Not sure of his personality, but by the numbers he reminds me of Smith.

He took a bad team in a lower league and made them good, has some assistant experience at bigger schools (Washington, Florida), makes about 330k per year, coaching in a smaller, colder town than Logan, and he’s relatively young at 50... I mean, that sounds identical to smith’s profile before he was hired here.

I’ve also mentioned I’m in the boat of hiring a defensive coach for hc, so he fits that for me to.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic