Gary Fired!!!?!?!!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Ahbye

Re: Gary Fired!!!?!?!!

Post by Ahbye » November 7th, 2020, 2:32 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Ahbye wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:25 pm
No... Do university presidents count? What about "early" retirements? Sabbaticals?
By code, early retirements must be initiated by the faculty.

Ask any dean or department head. It’s potential litigation if they bring it up.
So you're saying that if a professor is caught en flagrante delicto with a student or someone who is not his wife, he can't be "encouraged" to take the early retirement or face official proceedings or exposure? Because that happens all the time.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post:
USU78

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » November 7th, 2020, 2:34 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:18 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:16 pm
Slim80 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:13 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:07 pm
Ahbye wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:57 pm
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:50 pm
Ahbye wrote:I don't know what the AD knows or if he was comfortable with it. Here's the thing: if you want to be an employee at the university, even our university, there are donors who are big enough that if you piss them off, you'll be done. If the Laubs wanted my job, they'd have it. It's like police and traffic or referees and oline. Violations of rules or policy happen on every "play". If I follow you long enough, you'll violate a traffic law. Same goes with job security. My hair might be too long. My work uniform may be just off. Maybe there's some unknown policy I've violated like not conserving energy or something. It all boils down to where if you cross a big donor or someone at old main, you better have your resume polished. It's conventional wisdom that Hartwell did not want Gary. Could Hartwell have been forced to go along with stuff? Who knows? As far as I'm concerned, I no longer have to be ashamed of my university and I have no further issues with things.
What about Gary makes you ashamed? Unless you provide some evidence, we shouldn’t be digging on GA at all or saying vague statements like this. This year sucked but he’s still the guy that saved USU football.
Let's just move on. I've got nothing to add. Your athletic dollars are well taken care of and the AD has the best interests of the university well in hand.
Job security at USU is not based or impacted by donors other than perhaps the Athletic department. Good grief.
It very much is dictated by donors, specifically when it comes to the higher profile positions within the university. Like it or not, he who has the money calls the shots.
Not just at USU, you'll find this at every university. When donations are so important, this is what happens. It's the way of the world unfortunately.

Can you name one professor, department head, or dean fired because of a donor? ever?
At USU, no I can't. At another university, yes I can, I have personal knowledge of it. It happens. To say that it doesn't is naive. Money rules the world, it happens in business too. Money makes the decision more often than it should, but it's reality. Sorry. I have no idea if that happen here, doesn't sound like it, but multi- million dollar donors call lots of shots at universities. When your name is on the building, cuz you paid for it, you have sway and power.
Thanks for the reasonable post.

After serving on the faculty senate for years, the athletic subcommittee, more tenure and promotion committees than I care to count, I’ve not seen it happen at USU.

To my knowledge, nobody outside of athletics has been fired because of donor influence.
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post:
Aggie19

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 7th, 2020, 2:34 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:14 am
Full wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:09 am
All those clamoring for Jay Hill just sit back and watch John Hartwell go to work. There should be very little turnover in coaching, and we’ll have one of the few openings. He can take his time and find the right guy. I trust him more than I hiring Jay Hill.
This is exactly right. I love Jay Hill and think he would do a great job but quite frankly there's not going to be a lot of job openings this year and so maybe you might get a chance at an up-and-coming coordinator or other coach that you may not have gotten to take a look at based on the number of openings. One thing is for certain Hartwell needs to be the man making this decision I realized boosters will have some sort of say but he hired a great coach and Coach Smith we should let him have the full range to do his job.

Lastly I just want to thank coach Anderson for what he did for our program he did so much the first time around growing that program and getting it turned around I will always be grateful for him. This time around obviously has been bad but I do respect Gary, yes people say he is a quitter and while that may be true sometimes you know yourself well enough and you know when to walk away.
Well said.

Where only sage brush grows

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » November 7th, 2020, 2:34 pm

What could’ve happened since Thursday that made them just want to get rid of GA altogether like this?

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » November 7th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Ahbye wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:32 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
No... Do university presidents count? What about "early" retirements? Sabbaticals?

So you're saying that if a professor is caught en flagrante delicto with a student or someone who is not his wife, he can't be "encouraged" to take the early retirement or face official proceedings or exposure? Because that happens all the time.
Correct.

BeNo

Post by BeNo » November 7th, 2020, 2:35 pm

:anonymous:
Ahbye wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
Ahbye wrote:

This post has my attention. Interesting hypothetical.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 7th, 2020, 2:37 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:34 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Slim80 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
Ahbye wrote:I don't know what the AD knows or if he was comfortable with it. Here's the thing: if you want to be an employee at the university, even our university, there are donors who are big enough that if you piss them off, you'll be done. If the Laubs wanted my job, they'd have it. It's like police and traffic or referees and oline. Violations of rules or policy happen on every "play". If I follow you long enough, you'll violate a traffic law. Same goes with job security. My hair might be too long. My work uniform may be just off. Maybe there's some unknown policy I've violated like not conserving energy or something. It all boils down to where if you cross a big donor or someone at old main, you better have your resume polished. It's conventional wisdom that Hartwell did not want Gary. Could Hartwell have been forced to go along with stuff? Who knows? As far as I'm concerned, I no longer have to be ashamed of my university and I have no further issues with things.
What about Gary makes you ashamed? Unless you provide some evidence, we shouldn’t be digging on GA at all or saying vague statements like this. This year sucked but he’s still the guy that saved USU football.
Let's just move on. I've got nothing to add. Your athletic dollars are well taken care of and the AD has the best interests of the university well in hand.
Job security at USU is not based or impacted by donors other than perhaps the Athletic department. Good grief.
It very much is dictated by donors, specifically when it comes to the higher profile positions within the university. Like it or not, he who has the money calls the shots.
Not just at USU, you'll find this at every university. When donations are so important, this is what happens. It's the way of the world unfortunately.

Can you name one professor, department head, or dean fired because of a donor? ever?
At USU, no I can't. At another university, yes I can, I have personal knowledge of it. It happens. To say that it doesn't is naive. Money rules the world, it happens in business too. Money makes the decision more often than it should, but it's reality. Sorry. I have no idea if that happen here, doesn't sound like it, but multi- million dollar donors call lots of shots at universities. When your name is on the building, cuz you paid for it, you have sway and power.
Thanks for the reasonable post.

After serving on the faculty senate for years, the athletic subcommittee, more tenure and promotion committees than I care to count, I’ve not seen it happen at USU.

To my knowledge, nobody outside of athletics has been fired because of donor influence.
I'm glad you haven't seen it at USU. It's a messy thing
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
ChowderAggie

Go Aggies!

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » November 7th, 2020, 2:37 pm

BeNo wrote::anonymous:
Ahbye wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
Ahbye wrote:

Yeah. That “hypothetical” situation sounds a little too specific to not have a deeper meaning.
These users thanked the author TrueBlueAggie123 for the post:
ChowderAggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 7th, 2020, 2:38 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
What could’ve happened since Thursday that made them just want to get rid of GA altogether like this?
Just drop this one. It’s time to move on.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 7th, 2020, 2:39 pm

So, those that are in the know — I don’t need any details, but should we expect that there will be any further adverse impact/blowback on the AD/University based on whatever happened that lead to Andersen’s firing/leaving/whatever it is? If so, how much should we be worried?

I need to know how much I need to freak out. :lol:

LKGates

Post by LKGates » November 7th, 2020, 2:41 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 12:07 pm

How's this for my last post ever:

Gary didn't get fired for "lack of effort" or "bad team attitude" issues. If it ever comes to light what he did get dismissed for, it will likely rock this board more than any event I can remember. If y'all can't smell how bad this is, you aren't paying attention. People that seem to be in the know have left little clues here and there.

This board has devolved into the same group of people crying about every single thing, but never being involved in anything to fix even one of them. The only valuable pieces of information that now come across this board can be found elsewhere, and we've lost everything that used to make this place fun (the fundraising, the road trip planning, the funny gameweek posts). It's dead, and people like Roy and ineptimus helped kill it.
Hey guys. This is my first time back on the board in months. I've stayed away because of the pervasive negativity, and I knew the current situation would only make it worse. Just a couple of things.

Many people are not the kind to say "I told you so". I'm not one of those people. I got crucified on this board for saying that bringing Gary back was a terrible mistake. I felt so strongly about it at the time, I called John Hartwell long before any decision was made, and expressed my objections very bluntly. I live 40 miles from Corvalis. One of my employees had a son who was a trainer on the OSU football team when Gary was the coach. Gary does not handle adversity well. I heard lots of unsavory things through a very reliable conduit. I am not one bit surprised by this.

I often disagree with Young Blood Aggie, but he is absolutely on the mark about Gary. Good riddance. My understanding is the decision to hire Gary was forced by a major donor. I hope he will step up, do the right thing, and cover at least a substantial portion of the cost of his meddling.

Now, maybe we can all rally around the school and the program. Let's get behind John Hartwell, LET HIM DO HIS JOB, and support the new coach, whoever he is.

Go Aggies!

Addendum: I see there isn't going to be a buy-out. Good to know. Interesting that that is the same situation that played out in Corvalis.
Last edited by LKGates on November 7th, 2020, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 5):
3rdGenAggieMrBiggleUSU78brownjeansBLUERUFiO

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » November 7th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
I’m genuinely curious. Not looking for any inside sources to explain it haha. Just think it’s crazy to see how quickly things changed.
These users thanked the author TrueBlueAggie123 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 7th, 2020, 2:43 pm

:lol:
BeNo wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:35 pm
:anonymous:
Ahbye wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
Ahbye wrote:

:lol: it really is a hypothetical, but I must admit that the whole HPER steam room Craigslist saga came to mind when I posted. I have no idea what the outcome of that was besides the fact that I still won't set foot in that steam room, shoes or not.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post:
ChowderAggie

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 7th, 2020, 2:45 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:39 pm
So, those that are in the know — I don’t need any details, but should we expect that there will be any further adverse impact/blowback on the AD/University based on whatever happened that lead to Andersen’s firing/leaving/whatever it is? If so, how much should we be worried?

I need to know how much I need to freak out. :lol:
I'm as in the dark as anyone as to the true reasons for the departure, but I'll just say that I've not heard of anything that will impact the AD. All is well.

BeNo

Post by BeNo » November 7th, 2020, 2:52 pm

For the record I have not been in the HPER steam room for about 20 years. Craigslist didn’t exist at that time. But maybe I should have worn shoes though. Or some more protection.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 7th, 2020, 2:53 pm

BeNo wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:52 pm
For the record I have not been in the HPER steam room for about 20 years. Craigslist didn’t exist at that time. But maybe I should have worn shoes though. Or some more protection.
I think you're safe. I don't think the "encounters" began until after your time.

apo

Post by apo » November 7th, 2020, 2:56 pm

cval wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:36 pm
Okay. Lots of innuendo here. Either tell us, or stop talking about it.
This. My brain is going crazy with what y’all could possibly mean. The constant insinuation of some big deal without stating remotely what it is, has me going crazy.
These users thanked the author apo for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 7th, 2020, 2:57 pm

Ahbye wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:42 pm
I don't know what the AD knows or if he was comfortable with it. Here's the thing: if you want to be an employee at the university, even our university, there are donors who are big enough that if you piss them off, you'll be done. If the Laubs wanted my job, they'd have it. It's like police and traffic or referees and oline. Violations of rules or policy happen on every "play". If I follow you long enough, you'll violate a traffic law. Same goes with job security. My hair might be too long. My work uniform may be just off. Maybe there's some unknown policy I've violated like not conserving energy or something. It all boils down to where if you cross a big donor or someone at old main, you better have your resume polished. It's conventional wisdom that Hartwell did not want Gary. Could Hartwell have been forced to go along with stuff? Who knows? As far as I'm concerned, I no longer have to be ashamed of my university and I have no further issues with things.
Is this related to what you were referencing a year ago? IIRC

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 7th, 2020, 2:58 pm

apo wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:56 pm
cval wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:36 pm
Okay. Lots of innuendo here. Either tell us, or stop talking about it.
This. My brain is going crazy with what y’all could possibly mean. The constant insinuation of some big deal without stating remotely what it is, has me going crazy.
We'll know in 50 years when the Zapruder film is released. It's a JFK thing.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 7th, 2020, 3:00 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:49 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:47 pm
Ahbye wrote:
I don't know what the AD knows or if he was comfortable with it. Here's the thing: if you want to be an employee at the university, even our university, there are donors who are big enough that if you piss them off, you'll be done. If the Laubs wanted my job, they'd have it. It's like police and traffic or referees and oline. Violations of rules or policy happen on every "play". If I follow you long enough, you'll violate a traffic law. Same goes with job security. My hair might be too long. My work uniform may be just off. Maybe there's some unknown policy I've violated like not conserving energy or something. It all boils down to where if you cross a big donor or someone at old main, you better have your resume polished. It's conventional wisdom that Hartwell did not want Gary. Could Hartwell have been forced to go along with stuff? Who knows? As far as I'm concerned, I no longer have to be ashamed of my university and I have no further issues with things.
Thank You!
Do we think the big donors are ok with the firing? if they are not and stop funding the department we may be in a worse situation.

How many big donors do we have ?
It may have been announced on here earlier this year, summer time maybe, but I had heard that we lost a multimillion dollar donor?

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 7th, 2020, 3:04 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:57 pm
Ahbye wrote:
Is this related to what you were referencing a year ago? IIRC
I don't think so. I'd have to see what that was. We run a clean AD and I've never seen otherwise. I think I was frustrated at that time because we had guys getting arrested for drugs and nobody thought it was a big deal. At the time, I said it was a culture killer like it was in 2016 but we were too "weed-woke" to believe that prolific use would affect player performance. It does affect performance and it was obvious in our program during those down years.

We're always going to have guys that want to do it, but we're not good enough to let it go unchecked. For the record, I'm unaware of usage or arrest levels this fall, so I guess the short answer to your question is that my concerns then aren't a concern now.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 2):
MrBiggleUSU78

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 7th, 2020, 3:05 pm

taniataylor wrote:
Apparently GA was asked to immediately step away. He was not at the player meeting
Obviously this is tough for a lot of the players can you give any insight into how the team is feeling?

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 7th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 3:05 pm
taniataylor wrote:
Apparently GA was asked to immediately step away. He was not at the player meeting
Obviously this is tough for a lot of the players can you give any insight into how the team is feeling?
My boys Jordan & Kevin dont care much about drama, they just want to play.
Im sure m the players GA recruited are disappointed.
I have faith that we will quickly regroup and attitudes will change, which will translate to playing better.
Bring it Maile!!
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 12):
3rdGenAggieAggie19USU78ChowderAggiecdaAgAGinNEIowaflying_scotsman2.0AggieBluesTransplantedSpudJjoey52 and 2 more users

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 7th, 2020, 3:12 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Slim80 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:

Yes. Cannot disclose details.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 7th, 2020, 3:14 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 12:34 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 12:24 pm
rAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 12:21 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 10:54 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 10:51 am
Intermeddler wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 10:43 am
Hearing it was more Gary leaving than being fired but it’ll be a short drive up I-15 for our next coach
You can drive up and down I-15 all day and not find Utah State.
Your pedantry is noted though finding Logan would still require a short drive up I-15
Not to belabor this but isn't Harrison High along US 89? I think you could take it straight up to Logan without getting on I-15 :)
Okay, so can we settle on that using a route that involves I-15 is the most convenient way to Ogden? If so, I think we can end the thread. :lol:
You could also take a helicopter, be carried by a large bird, or walk through the mountains ;)
Go THROUGH the mountains. Take the mines. I bet cousin Balin would give you a royal welcome.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 7th, 2020, 3:17 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 3:14 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 12:34 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 12:24 pm
rAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 12:21 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 10:54 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 10:51 am
Intermeddler wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 10:43 am
Hearing it was more Gary leaving than being fired but it’ll be a short drive up I-15 for our next coach
You can drive up and down I-15 all day and not find Utah State.
Your pedantry is noted though finding Logan would still require a short drive up I-15
Not to belabor this but isn't Harrison High along US 89? I think you could take it straight up to Logan without getting on I-15 :)
Okay, so can we settle on that using a route that involves I-15 is the most convenient way to Ogden? If so, I think we can end the thread. :lol:
You could also take a helicopter, be carried by a large bird, or walk through the mountains ;)
Go THROUGH the mountains. Take the mines. I bet cousin Balin would give you a royal welcome.
The way is shut.....
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 7th, 2020, 3:25 pm

I'm wondering if Gary struggles with some bi-polar or something. I'm no psychologist, but it seems like he definitely does the high highs and the low lows.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
MrBiggleBLUERUFiO

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

LKGates

Post by LKGates » November 7th, 2020, 3:42 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 3:25 pm
I'm wondering if Gary struggles with some bi-polar or something. I'm no psychologist, but it seems like he definitely does the high highs and the low lows.
I'm not sure he has a psychiatric disorder, unless the DSM-6 includes a diagnosis of "Bad Character, NOS".
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » November 7th, 2020, 3:46 pm

It is off season for Weber,, the time is fight to get Hill before they start spring season.

This was the only way the Anderson hiring could end.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » November 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm

USU78 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 3:12 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Slim80 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:

Yes. Cannot disclose details.

I can just imagine the meeting for a full, tenured professor:

So Dr. Aggie, you had a stellar year with research including three publications in elite journals. Your funded grant is helping to support student research efforts and your teaching is inspiring. Unfortunately, Ted, the owner of Ted's furniture, is a donor and doesn't want you here. You're fired.

CedarAg

Post by CedarAg » November 7th, 2020, 4:39 pm

I will never forget how Gary made me believe we could win. During that climb, the BYU victory, the catch at Hawaii, Turbin, Wagner, and the rest. Then the heart break and now full circle.

I will always love what he did for us and God bless you Gary for what you did.
These users thanked the author CedarAg for the post (total 8):
GreenAgGaAggieUSUMAEvegasaggieflying_scotsman2.0MaverickAggie3rdGenAggieBLUERUFiO

Roll Aggies!!!!

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » November 7th, 2020, 4:47 pm

CedarAg wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 4:39 pm
I will never forget how Gary made me believe we could win. During that climb, the BYU victory, the catch at Hawaii, Turbin, Wagner, and the rest. Then the heart break and now full circle.

I will always love what he did for us and God bless you Gary for what you did.
Your post reminds me of that well-recognized photo of Turbin and Gary.

It was before or after a final game, if I remember correctly. Great memories.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 7th, 2020, 5:15 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 12:07 pm

How's this for my last post ever:

Gary didn't get fired for "lack of effort" or "bad team attitude" issues. If it ever comes to light what he did get dismissed for, it will likely rock this board more than any event I can remember. If y'all can't smell how bad this is, you aren't paying attention. People that seem to be in the know have left little clues here and there.
So this was not related to on field performance and it was not even a decision for Hartwell. Provides a whole new context.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 7th, 2020, 5:25 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:49 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:47 pm
Ahbye wrote:
Thank You!
Do we think the big donors are ok with the firing? if they are not and stop funding the department we may be in a worse situation.

How many big donors do we have ?

Hail Aggies!

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 7th, 2020, 5:30 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:38 pm
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
Stop the Count of Why Gary Was Fired!
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 3):
oleblu111Jjoey52BLUERUFiO

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic