Gary Fired!!!?!?!!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Intermeddler

Re: Gary Fired!!!?!?!!

Post by Intermeddler » November 7th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Aggieforlife wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:12 pm
Ahbye wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:10 pm
Well the university just loaned the AD a bunch of money, so...
Like how much money?
Assuming the loan did happen, I still don't think it happens just to fire a coach who isn't performing well on the field so something else is afoot.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 7th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Ahbye wrote:Well the university just loaned the AD a bunch of money, so...
That wasn’t “buy out” money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 7th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:16 pm
Aggieforlife wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
Like how much money?
Assuming the loan did happen, I still don't think it happens just to fire a coach who isn't performing well on the field so something else is afoot.
WIth COVID we were gong to be a couple of million short. I remember Hartwell mentioning that he the university was going to be giving the AD a loan. Maybe this loan was an additional loan.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 7th, 2020, 1:21 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 12:59 pm
So possible explanations for why this happened now include:

(1) there was a “for cause” basis to terminate Gary and he was fired;
(2) Laub paid the buyout;
(3) Gary walked away because there may have been a “for cause” basis to terminate him if he did not;
(4) Gary walked away out of the goodness if his heart;
(5) USU and Gary reached a deal to pay a reduced buyout (for any number of reasons).

Missing anything? There’s gotta be something more to it given the timing. We are missing a key variable. I hope it is not as ominous as a few people have suggested.
I would guess a negotiated buyout or there was some "for cause" violation. I don't believe Gary would just quit out of the goodness of his heart for nothing and we can't afford to fire him now. Even if Laub realized he made a mistake, he would give it longer than 16 games to fork out the cash.

bpd

Post by bpd » November 7th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:19 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:16 pm
Aggieforlife wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
Like how much money?
WIth COVID we were gong to be a couple of million short. I remember Hartwell mentioning that he the university was going to be giving the AD a loan. Maybe this loan was an additional loan.
This was before football season was announced. I don't know how much we are getting from CBS and Fox, but I bet it ALMOST cover all of this.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 7th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Sucks that it came to this but high five to whomever made the decision to do it. It needed to be done. Happy trails, GA.
These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post:
GreenAg

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 7th, 2020, 1:28 pm

travelingagg wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:38 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:09 am
TheBigSilk wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:08 am
Does that mean we have to wait 3 more years to let a new coach rebuild?
Honestly, it will probably take some time for us to rebuild. We are pretty freaking awful right now.
We seem incredibly undersized. We've looked like a 6A high school team playing a D1 team the first three weeks at many positions. Putting our 240-250 pound short DL guys up against the 6'5"-6'7," 310 lb offensive linemen we have seen and will continue to see this season sets us up to fail at the line every game. We're similarly mismatched in many other positions with some exceptions. Seems like a problem that will take a few years to solve.
This is an interesting point. Even during our darkest days, we were able to recruit good skill players (Robinson, Curtis, Coolie, Wagner, Turbin, etc.) with the exception of QBs. However, during those times USU was ALWAYS deficient at D-line, and teams would dominate us. Gary came in as was able to shore up that position group (which is his specialty). It was a bad sign this year that he couldn't cobble together a decent defensive line.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 7th, 2020, 1:29 pm

They got a "covid" loan for the whole AD, but if you think about it, Gary's salary was a substantial chunk of the AD budget. Our AD is an accountant, so using that loan to buy out a contract that would also mitigate future lost gains is pretty good business, don't you think? Now you've paid Gary's salary, avoided a PR trainwreck, and cut a huge operating cost, and can tread water until the January legislative session when they restore higher ed funding because state losses weren't as significant as forecast for covid. A good business move.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 7th, 2020, 1:29 pm

I'm guessing based on the way this played out that there isn't a buy out changing hands. I'd wager this is very similar to the Oregon State situation. This is the real life equipment to rage quitting in Madden by pulling the plug on the PlayStation.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

GUS

Post by GUS » November 7th, 2020, 1:31 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:28 pm
travelingagg wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:38 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:09 am
TheBigSilk wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:08 am
Does that mean we have to wait 3 more years to let a new coach rebuild?
Honestly, it will probably take some time for us to rebuild. We are pretty freaking awful right now.
We seem incredibly undersized. We've looked like a 6A high school team playing a D1 team the first three weeks at many positions. Putting our 240-250 pound short DL guys up against the 6'5"-6'7," 310 lb offensive linemen we have seen and will continue to see this season sets us up to fail at the line every game. We're similarly mismatched in many other positions with some exceptions. Seems like a problem that will take a few years to solve.
This is an interesting point. Even during our darkest days, we were able to recruit good skill players (Robinson, Curtis, Coolie, Wagner, Turbin, etc.) with the exception of QBs. However, during those times USU was ALWAYS deficient at D-line, and teams would dominate us. Gary came in as was able to shore up that position group (which is his specialty). It was a bad sign this year that he couldn't cobble together a decent defensive line.
I really think the defensive line is servicable. It's the linebackers that aren't getting it done. The linebackers should be making a ton of tackles like David Woodward did in the 3/4 alignment, but are current linebackers are making very few. Hate to name names, but Metzinheimer has been awful.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 7th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Ahbye wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:04 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 12:07 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:58 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:56 am
Madmartigan wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:51 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:41 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:39 am
Madmartigan wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:33 am
Let's not forget we are all Aggies here. Being wrong is a condition of being human. No need to rub it in others faces that they were wrong, even if we feel they deserve it. I recommend breathing exercises and meditation along with a celebration that we have a great AD that did the right thing.
I’m normally 100% with you on this. I’ve definitely been wrong on many occasions. But YBA goes a bit beyond the pale in how he interacts with people, so deserves to get called to the carpet here, IMO.
Tell you what, next time I want your opinion, I'll save myself the trouble of reaching out and just listen to what a turd sounds like when it hits the water. Feel free to PM me anytime you want to set up a meetup. I'll recognize you from the incessant whining, no need to send a picture.
Not helping.
Not helping what? This board? The world's greatest collection of poor whiners anywhere on the internet?

I'll miss about a dozen people on this board, stay in contact with another handful, and will be forever greatful to the creators for giving us a product we absolutely do not deserve as a fanbase.
I'm trying to keep the conversation a bit more level headed. We're all a bit emotional and upset. You're the one being the massive whiner here for being called out for being wrong.
How's this for my last post ever:

Gary didn't get fired for "lack of effort" or "bad team attitude" issues. If it ever comes to light what he did get dismissed for, it will likely rock this board more than any event I can remember. If y'all can't smell how bad this is, you aren't paying attention. People that seem to be in the know have left little clues here and there.

This board has devolved into the same group of people crying about every single thing, but never being involved in anything to fix even one of them. The only valuable pieces of information that now come across this board can be found elsewhere, and we've lost everything that used to make this place fun (the fundraising, the road trip planning, the funny gameweek posts). It's dead, and people like Roy and ineptimus helped kill it.
There's a great deal of truth to this post with respect to reasons for the parting of ways.
Abye - some said that the AD was also part of these problems. Can you confirm?

coolag

Post by coolag » November 7th, 2020, 1:35 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 12:44 pm
Hire Dave Yost.
Uh no.

Regulator of Class

cval

Post by cval » November 7th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Okay. Lots of innuendo here. Either tell us, or stop talking about it.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 7th, 2020, 1:37 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

(3) Gary walked away because there may have been a “for cause” basis to terminate him if he did not;
(5) USU and Gary reached a deal to pay a reduced buyout (for any number of reasons).

Missing anything? There’s gotta be something more to it given the timing. We are missing a key variable. I hope it is not as ominous as a few people have suggested.
No buy out. GA agreed to part amicably. We are going to pay him for the next few months but he is being gracious and doesn’t want to put us in a worse spot financially.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 7th, 2020, 1:39 pm

The official press release doesn’t sound like it was a mutual decision.....

These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
USU78

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 7th, 2020, 1:42 pm

I don't know what the AD knows or if he was comfortable with it. Here's the thing: if you want to be an employee at the university, even our university, there are donors who are big enough that if you piss them off, you'll be done. If the Laubs wanted my job, they'd have it. It's like police and traffic or referees and oline. Violations of rules or policy happen on every "play". If I follow you long enough, you'll violate a traffic law. Same goes with job security. My hair might be too long. My work uniform may be just off. Maybe there's some unknown policy I've violated like not conserving energy or something. It all boils down to where if you cross a big donor or someone at old main, you better have your resume polished. It's conventional wisdom that Hartwell did not want Gary. Could Hartwell have been forced to go along with stuff? Who knows? As far as I'm concerned, I no longer have to be ashamed of my university and I have no further issues with things.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 4):
vegasaggieUSU78Jjoey52crazywookie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 7th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:33 pm
Ahbye wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:04 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 12:07 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:58 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:56 am
Madmartigan wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:51 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:41 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:39 am
Madmartigan wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 11:33 am
Let's not forget we are all Aggies here. Being wrong is a condition of being human. No need to rub it in others faces that they were wrong, even if we feel they deserve it. I recommend breathing exercises and meditation along with a celebration that we have a great AD that did the right thing.
I’m normally 100% with you on this. I’ve definitely been wrong on many occasions. But YBA goes a bit beyond the pale in how he interacts with people, so deserves to get called to the carpet here, IMO.
Tell you what, next time I want your opinion, I'll save myself the trouble of reaching out and just listen to what a turd sounds like when it hits the water. Feel free to PM me anytime you want to set up a meetup. I'll recognize you from the incessant whining, no need to send a picture.
Not helping.
Not helping what? This board? The world's greatest collection of poor whiners anywhere on the internet?

I'll miss about a dozen people on this board, stay in contact with another handful, and will be forever greatful to the creators for giving us a product we absolutely do not deserve as a fanbase.
I'm trying to keep the conversation a bit more level headed. We're all a bit emotional and upset. You're the one being the massive whiner here for being called out for being wrong.
How's this for my last post ever:

Gary didn't get fired for "lack of effort" or "bad team attitude" issues. If it ever comes to light what he did get dismissed for, it will likely rock this board more than any event I can remember. If y'all can't smell how bad this is, you aren't paying attention. People that seem to be in the know have left little clues here and there.

This board has devolved into the same group of people crying about every single thing, but never being involved in anything to fix even one of them. The only valuable pieces of information that now come across this board can be found elsewhere, and we've lost everything that used to make this place fun (the fundraising, the road trip planning, the funny gameweek posts). It's dead, and people like Roy and ineptimus helped kill it.
There's a great deal of truth to this post with respect to reasons for the parting of ways.
Abye - some said that the AD was also part of these problems. Can you confirm?
Are we talking athletic department or athletic director? Please tell me Hartwell is not doing shady things.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 7th, 2020, 1:47 pm

Ahbye wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:42 pm
I don't know what the AD knows or if he was comfortable with it. Here's the thing: if you want to be an employee at the university, even our university, there are donors who are big enough that if you piss them off, you'll be done. If the Laubs wanted my job, they'd have it. It's like police and traffic or referees and oline. Violations of rules or policy happen on every "play". If I follow you long enough, you'll violate a traffic law. Same goes with job security. My hair might be too long. My work uniform may be just off. Maybe there's some unknown policy I've violated like not conserving energy or something. It all boils down to where if you cross a big donor or someone at old main, you better have your resume polished. It's conventional wisdom that Hartwell did not want Gary. Could Hartwell have been forced to go along with stuff? Who knows? As far as I'm concerned, I no longer have to be ashamed of my university and I have no further issues with things.
Thank You!
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
Jjoey52

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 7th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Maile - interim HC
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 7th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:47 pm
Ahbye wrote:
Thank You!
Do we think the big donors are ok with the firing? if they are not and stop funding the department we may be in a worse situation.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 7th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:49 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:47 pm
Ahbye wrote:
Thank You!
Do we think the big donors are ok with the firing? if they are not and stop funding the department we may be in a worse situation.

How many big donors do we have ?

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » November 7th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Ahbye wrote:I don't know what the AD knows or if he was comfortable with it. Here's the thing: if you want to be an employee at the university, even our university, there are donors who are big enough that if you piss them off, you'll be done. If the Laubs wanted my job, they'd have it. It's like police and traffic or referees and oline. Violations of rules or policy happen on every "play". If I follow you long enough, you'll violate a traffic law. Same goes with job security. My hair might be too long. My work uniform may be just off. Maybe there's some unknown policy I've violated like not conserving energy or something. It all boils down to where if you cross a big donor or someone at old main, you better have your resume polished. It's conventional wisdom that Hartwell did not want Gary. Could Hartwell have been forced to go along with stuff? Who knows? As far as I'm concerned, I no longer have to be ashamed of my university and I have no further issues with things.
What about Gary makes you ashamed? Unless you provide some evidence, we shouldn’t be digging on GA at all or saying vague statements like this. This year sucked but he’s still the guy that saved USU football.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 7th, 2020, 1:57 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:50 pm
Ahbye wrote:I don't know what the AD knows or if he was comfortable with it. Here's the thing: if you want to be an employee at the university, even our university, there are donors who are big enough that if you piss them off, you'll be done. If the Laubs wanted my job, they'd have it. It's like police and traffic or referees and oline. Violations of rules or policy happen on every "play". If I follow you long enough, you'll violate a traffic law. Same goes with job security. My hair might be too long. My work uniform may be just off. Maybe there's some unknown policy I've violated like not conserving energy or something. It all boils down to where if you cross a big donor or someone at old main, you better have your resume polished. It's conventional wisdom that Hartwell did not want Gary. Could Hartwell have been forced to go along with stuff? Who knows? As far as I'm concerned, I no longer have to be ashamed of my university and I have no further issues with things.
What about Gary makes you ashamed? Unless you provide some evidence, we shouldn’t be digging on GA at all or saying vague statements like this. This year sucked but he’s still the guy that saved USU football.
Let's just move on. I've got nothing to add. Your athletic dollars are well taken care of and the AD has the best interests of the university well in hand.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » November 7th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Ahbye wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:57 pm
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
Let's just move on. I've got nothing to add. Your athletic dollars are well taken care of and the AD has the best interests of the university well in hand.
Job security at USU is not based or impacted by donors other than perhaps the Athletic department. Good grief.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » November 7th, 2020, 2:13 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:07 pm
Ahbye wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
Job security at USU is not based or impacted by donors other than perhaps the Athletic department. Good grief.
It very much is dictated by donors, specifically when it comes to the higher profile positions within the university. Like it or not, he who has the money calls the shots.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post (total 2):
AhbyeJjoey52

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » November 7th, 2020, 2:15 pm

Slim80 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:13 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
It very much is dictated by donors, specifically when it comes to the higher profile positions within the university. Like it or not, he who has the money calls the shots.
Agree with deans and Vice Presidents. Disagree with faculty positions.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 7th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Slim80 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
Not just at USU, you'll find this at every university. When donations are so important, this is what happens. It's the way of the world unfortunately.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
AhbyeJjoey52

Go Aggies!

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 7th, 2020, 2:17 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:15 pm
Slim80 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
Agree with deans and Vice Presidents. Disagree with faculty positions.
Faculty positions are hard to affect without massive cause, like in the piano department. You'd be surprised at staff positions though.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post:
ChowderAggie

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » November 7th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:16 pm
Slim80 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
Not just at USU, you'll find this at every university. When donations are so important, this is what happens. It's the way of the world unfortunately.

Can you name one professor, department head, or dean fired because of a donor? ever?

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 7th, 2020, 2:25 pm

No... Do university presidents count? What about "early" retirements? Sabbaticals?

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 7th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Apparently GA was asked to immediately step away. He was not at the player meeting

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 7th, 2020, 2:26 pm

Sounds like it wasn't super mutual.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post:
TheAKAggie

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 7th, 2020, 2:27 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:18 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:16 pm
Slim80 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:

Can you name one professor, department head, or dean fired because of a donor? ever?
At USU, no I can't. At another university, yes I can, I have personal knowledge of it. It happens. To say that it doesn't is naive. Money rules the world, it happens in business too. Money makes the decision more often than it should, but it's reality. Sorry. I have no idea if that happen here, doesn't sound like it, but multi- million dollar donors call lots of shots at universities. When your name is on the building, cuz you paid for it, you have sway and power.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
ChowderAggieoleblu111

Go Aggies!

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » November 7th, 2020, 2:27 pm

Ahbye wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:25 pm
No... Do university presidents count? What about "early" retirements? Sabbaticals?
By code, early retirements must be initiated by the faculty.

Ask any dean or department head. It’s potential litigation if they bring it up.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 7th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 1:37 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

No buy out. GA agreed to part amicably. We are going to pay him for the next few months but he is being gracious and doesn’t want to put us in a worse spot financially.
That’s good to hear. The fact that there was no buyout suggests to me that (1) or (3) above may be what is at work, but the fact that Gary is not trying to negotiate a reduced buyout means there’s some of (4) at play here too, unless, of course, the University has him dead to rights on a “for cause” termination ground.

Locked Previous topicNext topic