Replay of TT vs. WV

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
troutputz
Posts: 2311
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 12:36 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 189 times

Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by troutputz » October 30th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Watched replay of West Virginia vs. Texas Tech. It was painful to watch Henry C and what he could have done for us. Obvious that Gary and him did not get along. Why would Gary not care if Henry stays or not ? I personally think Gary has some issues going on with his health right now!?



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1734
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 392 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 30th, 2020, 1:58 pm

Personally I don't think he and Henry necessarily had any huge issues. I just think GA had an opportunity to bring in some more experience to the QB room and someone who fits the style of offense he'd like to run. I also don't think he expected, or wanted, Henry to leave when Shelley transferred in. He fully expected to have a nice little QB battle and despite what many on here have said, I don't think Shelley was a shoe-in to be the starter. It was Henry's to lose but he took it personally and left town. We will see a better Shelley as the season goes on and he may end up being very good for us. Glad things are working out for Columbi at TT but I would have loved for him to have stayed and guided the Aggies.
I don't think there is much substance to your claim that he is having health issues....other than the stress of trying to handle a very unpredictable season.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
oleblu111



hickaggie
Posts: 3301
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by hickaggie » October 30th, 2020, 2:35 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 1:58 pm
Personally I don't think he and Henry necessarily had any huge issues. I just think GA had an opportunity to bring in some more experience to the QB room and someone who fits the style of offense he'd like to run. I also don't think he expected, or wanted, Henry to leave when Shelley transferred in. He fully expected to have a nice little QB battle and despite what many on here have said, I don't think Shelley was a shoe-in to be the starter. It was Henry's to lose but he took it personally and left town. We will see a better Shelley as the season goes on and he may end up being very good for us. Glad things are working out for Columbi at TT but I would have loved for him to have stayed and guided the Aggies.
I don't think there is much substance to your claim that he is having health issues....other than the stress of trying to handle a very unpredictable season.
The idea that Colombi didn't fit Andersen's scheme and Shelley did doesn't hold up. I don't believe Shelley is a better athlete, faster, a better runner, or a better read option guy than Colombi. He certainly doesn't have better arm strength, accuracy, or pocket presence. So what's the difference. Shelly is shorter? Shelley played for a PAC-12 school?

I am guessing the transfer was just the last straw for Colombi after the incompetence of the offensive coaching last year and a chance to rejoin Yost. I hope your right that JS has more to offer.



oleblu111
Posts: 1858
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 921 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by oleblu111 » October 30th, 2020, 2:57 pm

Well my take on his is that Henrietta Colombi thought he was owed the starting job, and when a transfer was brought he believed he was wronged so he quit and walked on at Texas Tech.

Quite frankly I do not give a damn what he does, for what ever reason he did not think he would start so he left, that is the definition of a quitter. If he was any way near the player you folks think he is he would have started with BSU.



hickaggie
Posts: 3301
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by hickaggie » October 30th, 2020, 3:24 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 2:57 pm
Well my take on his is that Henrietta Colombi thought he was owed the starting job, and when a transfer was brought he believed he was wronged so he quit and walked on at Texas Tech.

Quite frankly I do not give a damn what he does, for what ever reason he did not think he would start so he left, that is the definition of a quitter. If he was any way near the player you folks think he is he would have started with BSU.
Well he is starting and winning games at a P5 school so there is that. I tend to agree with you philosophically but unfortunately its a different generation of players especially at the QB position. Regardless of whether its fair to him (its not) JS will always be judged by how he compares to Colombi. Hopefully, he figures it out and becomes a solid QB.



AggieUprising50
Posts: 798
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by AggieUprising50 » October 30th, 2020, 3:37 pm

hickaggie wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 2:35 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 1:58 pm
Personally I don't think he and Henry necessarily had any huge issues. I just think GA had an opportunity to bring in some more experience to the QB room and someone who fits the style of offense he'd like to run. I also don't think he expected, or wanted, Henry to leave when Shelley transferred in. He fully expected to have a nice little QB battle and despite what many on here have said, I don't think Shelley was a shoe-in to be the starter. It was Henry's to lose but he took it personally and left town. We will see a better Shelley as the season goes on and he may end up being very good for us. Glad things are working out for Columbi at TT but I would have loved for him to have stayed and guided the Aggies.
I don't think there is much substance to your claim that he is having health issues....other than the stress of trying to handle a very unpredictable season.
The idea that Colombi didn't fit Andersen's scheme and Shelley did doesn't hold up.I don't believe Shelley is a better athlete, faster, a better runner, or a better read option guy than Colombi.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. All my friends who are Utah fans said that Shelly is an insane athlete and was one of the fastest players on their team. I just don't think he's had much opportunity to show off his athleticism in a USU uniform.

That's not to knock HC's athleticism at all.



oleblu111
Posts: 1858
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 921 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by oleblu111 » October 30th, 2020, 3:44 pm

hickaggie wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 3:24 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 2:57 pm
Well my take on his is that Henrietta Colombi thought he was owed the starting job, and when a transfer was brought he believed he was wronged so he quit and walked on at Texas Tech.

Quite frankly I do not give a damn what he does, for what ever reason he did not think he would start so he left, that is the definition of a quitter. If he was any way near the player you folks think he is he would have started with BSU.
Well he is starting and winning games at a P5 school so there is that. I tend to agree with you philosophically but unfortunately its a different generation of players especially at the QB position. Regardless of whether its fair to him (its not) JS will always be judged by how he compares to Colombi. Hopefully, he figures it out and becomes a solid QB.
I understand what you are saying and somewhat agree, but in the win against West Virginia, he had 169 yards passing, but his team helped with199 yard rushing.

I will plead to being old school that is when I played and coached. Hell I am a ole dude for sure. As a result of that I watch different things in games, like O line blocking is very much part of my knowledge and interest, and we were very poor in many spots on Saturday. We have a kid that does not have a clue how to tackle, that is what is a concern as is our lack of production by the Q.B. If we do not start doing better in those areas we will have a long year regardless of the Q.B.



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2282
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 281 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 30th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Understand and appreciate your post oleblu, and I share some of your concerns about tackling. It takes a mind set to tackle someone who has momentum and a head of steam coming your way. I would think the coaches would need to take some serious time to replace or upgrade poorly schooled defensive players. As a matter of fact I believe on the D 1 collegiate level most everyone has proven their appetite for contact previously so I see technique and not courage as the missing essential.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
oleblu111



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 15664
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 855 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by brownjeans » October 30th, 2020, 5:43 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 2:57 pm
Well my take on his is that Henrietta Colombi thought he was owed the starting job, and when a transfer was brought he believed he was wronged so he quit and walked on at Texas Tech.

Quite frankly I do not give a damn what he does, for what ever reason he did not think he would start so he left, that is the definition of a quitter. If he was any way near the player you folks think he is he would have started with BSU.
I think your take is petulant. Look at the text I bolded. I mean really?
Henry not starting with BSU had nothing to do with the kind of player Henry is, and everything to do with how poorly Andersen handled things. Love Andersen or not, he could have done better.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5881
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 551 times
Been thanked: 1100 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 30th, 2020, 7:00 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 3:37 pm
hickaggie wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 2:35 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 1:58 pm
Personally I don't think he and Henry necessarily had any huge issues. I just think GA had an opportunity to bring in some more experience to the QB room and someone who fits the style of offense he'd like to run. I also don't think he expected, or wanted, Henry to leave when Shelley transferred in. He fully expected to have a nice little QB battle and despite what many on here have said, I don't think Shelley was a shoe-in to be the starter. It was Henry's to lose but he took it personally and left town. We will see a better Shelley as the season goes on and he may end up being very good for us. Glad things are working out for Columbi at TT but I would have loved for him to have stayed and guided the Aggies.
I don't think there is much substance to your claim that he is having health issues....other than the stress of trying to handle a very unpredictable season.
The idea that Colombi didn't fit Andersen's scheme and Shelley did doesn't hold up.I don't believe Shelley is a better athlete, faster, a better runner, or a better read option guy than Colombi.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. All my friends who are Utah fans said that Shelly is an insane athlete and was one of the fastest players on their team. I just don't think he's had much opportunity to show off his athleticism in a USU uniform.

That's not to knock HC's athleticism at all.
Your Utah friends have no idea what they’re talking about. Last year Kyle Whittington put drew lisk (a walk on qb from Utah) ahead of Shelley on the depth chart.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
CastIronAggieAggieFBObsession



oleblu111
Posts: 1858
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 921 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by oleblu111 » October 30th, 2020, 7:05 pm

Well brown jeans the fans most popular player on the team is the backup quarter back. What I do know is the kid quit rather than battle for the starting job.

As far as how Gary handled things unless one was in the room when the conversation took place a judgement as to how things happened is making a judgement that may not be based in fact. One can not even take as gospel what took place with what one hears from others be they coach's or players because most likely could have a spin. So I do not know for a fact if he could have done better, and most likely neither do you.

Being a Andersen lover is again a assumption, that is not based in truth. I will support the coach at USU and do everything possible so he and the school will be successful. Compare that to what Henrietta did.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 15664
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 855 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by brownjeans » October 30th, 2020, 7:30 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 7:05 pm
Well brown jeans the fans most popular player on the team is the backup quarter back. What I do know is the kid quit rather than battle for the starting job.

As far as how Gary handled things unless one was in the room when the conversation took place a judgement as to how things happened is making a judgement that may not be based in fact. One can not even take as gospel what took place with what one hears from others be they coach's or players because most likely could have a spin. So I do not know for a fact if he could have done better, and most likely neither do you.

Being a Andersen lover is again a assumption, that is not based in truth. I will support the coach at USU and do everything possible so he and the school will be successful. Compare that to what Henrietta did.
LOL You're a child.
Colombi earned the starting job on a Big12 team and is 1-0 as a starter vs the Big 12. Your argument that Colombi isn't good and can't compete is losing credibility.
You don't have to be in the room, you only need to examine the results. The result is Colombi left. If Andersen had handled it well, Colombi would be here.
If a salesman doesn't make a sale he should ask what did he do wrong? If a bridge collapses the engineer should ask what did he do wrong? When a coach loses a good recruit or player, the coach should ask what did he do wrong?
Colombi is gone because he didn't trust Andersen anymore and Andersen's job, in part, is to build trust with his players. He failed with Colombi.

I'm happy to support USU and Andersen, but pretending Andersen did a good job when he didn't doesn't help anyone.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyAggieFBObsession



oleblu111
Posts: 1858
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 921 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by oleblu111 » October 31st, 2020, 12:21 pm

When I have any debate I remember that I was told by a very wise man that calling your opponent names meant that you had lost and are losing your cool. Henrietta was not my opponent.

He may just have left because he felt he was owed the starting job and was afraid of the competition. Unlike many I do not claim to know what was in his mind. Or what G.A. told him, and you do not know that he would stayed if it was handled differently unless he had told Henrietta that the job was his

The kid may have done well if he decided to stay here.

Looking at his game last week he had 169 yds passing, and his team had 199 yard rushing so I think he had a good game in a very balanced attack . If he had stayed and been the starter against BSU. I believe the game would have had the same result.

Some folks think coach A wanted him to leave that is foolish at best.

I will end this discussion by just saying we disagree.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 15664
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 855 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by brownjeans » October 31st, 2020, 7:23 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 12:21 pm
When I have any debate I remember that I was told by a very wise man that calling your opponent names meant that you had lost and are losing your cool. Henrietta was not my opponent.

He may just have left because he felt he was owed the starting job and was afraid of the competition. Unlike many I do not claim to know what was in his mind. Or what G.A. told him, and you do not know that he would stayed if it was handled differently unless he had told Henrietta that the job was his

The kid may have done well if he decided to stay here.

Looking at his game last week he had 169 yds passing, and his team had 199 yard rushing so I think he had a good game in a very balanced attack . If he had stayed and been the starter against BSU. I believe the game would have had the same result.

Some folks think coach A wanted him to leave that is foolish at best.

I will end this discussion by just saying we disagree.
First, I don't debate. Conversation as contest is stupid. I prefer conversation for the purpose of understanding. I'm trying to understand where you're are coming from on this. I guess it's beyond me.
I tell people when their behavior is bad and welcome it when others tell me the same. Your behavior is childish.

If you prefer me calling your behavior childish vs calling you a child, it seems like splitting hairs, but okay I will oblige. Sorry I called you names.



oleblu111
Posts: 1858
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 921 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by oleblu111 » November 1st, 2020, 11:10 am

Perhaps I did not explain myself as well as I should have however I do not recall you asking me questions so you could understand were I'm coming from

I'm not a G.A. lover. I do not care what a player that quits does when he leaves, mainly those that quit when faced with another recruit being added. I find it interesting that you would decide my behavior for calling a kid that quit Henrietta instead of Henry a point of concern for you, and leap to his defense.

When I disagree with you you can be sure that I will not call you a child or any other personal attack, instead I shall try to point out were you may be mistaken.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 15664
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 855 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by brownjeans » November 1st, 2020, 1:08 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 11:10 am
Perhaps I did not explain myself as well as I should have however I do not recall you asking me questions so you could understand were I'm coming from

I'm not a G.A. lover. I do not care what a player that quits does when he leaves, mainly those that quit when faced with another recruit being added. I find it interesting that you would decide my behavior for calling a kid that quit Henrietta instead of Henry a point of concern for you, and leap to his defense.

When I disagree with you you can be sure that I will not call you a child or any other personal attack, instead I shall try to point out were you may be mistaken.
Sorry for calling you a child. That's fair criticism and I'll take it. Setting the name-calling aside, you do see that the Henrietta thing is childish, and sexist, right?

Criticizing Colombi for quitting on Andersen is unfair. I mean, Andersen has quit every job he's had. But hey, I guess he's our coach for now.



oleblu111
Posts: 1858
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 921 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by oleblu111 » November 1st, 2020, 4:34 pm

Calling him Henrietta was a attempt at humor that must have offended you if that if that is really the case, which you honestly view as sexist ok. It is interesting that you would view my comment as so wrong and name calling that you went, and did the same thing. If calling him what I did bothered you then I'm sorry.

As far as putting G.A. as a example as a quitter, I do not recall his past as part of the conversation. Let me point out that My interest in USU goes way beyond who the head coach is and if one proves over time to be a bad hire then of course he should be gone, but until the end of next season I will hold back on the fire the coach bandwagon.

Are we square ?



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 15664
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 855 times

Re: Replay of TT vs. WV

Post by brownjeans » November 1st, 2020, 6:12 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 4:34 pm
Calling him Henrietta was a attempt at humor that must have offended you if that if that is really the case, which you honestly view as sexist ok. It is interesting that you would view my comment as so wrong and name calling that you went, and did the same thing. If calling him what I did bothered you then I'm sorry.

As far as putting G.A. as a example as a quitter, I do not recall his past as part of the conversation. Let me point out that My interest in USU goes way beyond who the head coach is and if one proves over time to be a bad hire then of course he should be gone, but until the end of next season I will hold back on the fire the coach bandwagon.

Are we square ?
We're good.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic