SDSU -7

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025
Posts: 2423
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 762 times

SDSU -7

Post by Aggie84025 » October 25th, 2020, 2:39 pm

San Diego State is opening as a seven-point favorite. Do we cover and lose, do we cover and win or do we not cover?



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 25th, 2020, 2:44 pm

Should be a low scoring game that we have a chance to win. I don't know if we cover. I see the score being like 17-6 or something, but it won't be like yesterday where the game is over at halftime.



Intermeddler
Posts: 2107
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 240 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by Intermeddler » October 25th, 2020, 3:29 pm

I’d lay the points all day at that line



utaggies
Posts: 4918
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:25 pm
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 133 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by utaggies » October 25th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 2:39 pm
San Diego State is opening as a seven-point favorite. Do we cover and lose, do we cover and win or do we not cover?
Give the 7 points to anyone who is dumb enough to make that bet and then bet the farm on SDS.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
Jjoey52



Jjoey52
Posts: 3563
Joined: December 16th, 2014, 11:17 pm
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by Jjoey52 » October 25th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Spread should be at least 15-17. SDSU runs it a lot so bad weather will not help.


“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1343
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 216 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 25th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Rosters are in so much flux from week to week due to COVID that I don’t know how anyone can accurately put a line on a game. We were 14-16 point dogs at Boise and that was with an assumed full roster. Then we discover throughout the game that we are missing some major contributors and Boise isn’t. Had that been known well in advance of the game we probably would have been 20+ point dogs. Who knows what SDSU or USU rosters will be come Saturday. I expect us to be competitive and the game be decided in the 4th quarter. If we were going to lose to Boise anyway I don’t mind that we didn’t reveal too much to SDSU. Then again they didn’t have to show much against UNLV.



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 968
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 380 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by Sl7vk » October 25th, 2020, 6:45 pm

If I recall correctly, we were 7 point dogs to SDSU last year as well.



Agzrule
Posts: 842
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:16 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by Agzrule » October 25th, 2020, 9:57 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 2:44 pm
Should be a low scoring game that we have a chance to win. I don't know if we cover. I see the score being like 17-6 or something, but it won't be like yesterday where the game is over at halftime.
The way we tackle we may not hold anyone under 20 points this year



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2831
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 589 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 25th, 2020, 10:19 pm

O/U is set at 51.5, which means the projected score is 29.25-22.25. Given both teams will likely be running the ball quite a bit in bad weather and the defenses should keep most stuff in front of them, I think the best bet on this game is the under. This feels a lot like a 24-21 game, or around there.

I think I'd play the under and also take the points.


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 25th, 2020, 10:36 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 10:19 pm
O/U is set at 51.5, which means the projected score is 29.25-22.25. Given both teams will likely be running the ball quite a bit in bad weather and the defenses should keep most stuff in front of them, I think the best bet on this game is the under. This feels a lot like a 24-21 game, or around there.

I think I'd play the under and also take the points.
That seems high for our offense against their defense. If we are going to win, we need to keep their scoring down. Hawaii beat them last year 14-11. That is the type of game I see us winning against them.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 25th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Agzrule wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 9:57 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 2:44 pm
Should be a low scoring game that we have a chance to win. I don't know if we cover. I see the score being like 17-6 or something, but it won't be like yesterday where the game is over at halftime.
The way we tackle we may not hold anyone under 20 points this year
You might be right, but honestly I have more faith in our defense after yesterday than our offense. We had a horrible defensive second quarter, otherwise the d was not great, but adequate. Our offense really was putrid all night.



Intermeddler
Posts: 2107
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 240 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by Intermeddler » October 25th, 2020, 11:58 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 10:19 pm
O/U is set at 51.5, which means the projected score is 29.25-22.25. Given both teams will likely be running the ball quite a bit in bad weather and the defenses should keep most stuff in front of them, I think the best bet on this game is the under. This feels a lot like a 24-21 game, or around there.

I think I'd play the under and also take the points.
The current KSL forecast for Logan next Saturday is a high of 62 and sunny. Not sure if that would be good for us or not.



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2831
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 589 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 26th, 2020, 10:16 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Agzrule wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 9:57 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 2:44 pm
Should be a low scoring game that we have a chance to win. I don't know if we cover. I see the score being like 17-6 or something, but it won't be like yesterday where the game is over at halftime.
The way we tackle we may not hold anyone under 20 points this year
You might be right, but honestly I have more faith in our defense after yesterday than our offense. We had a horrible defensive second quarter, otherwise the d was not great, but adequate. Our offense really was putrid all night.
The offense was fine in the third quarter, and parts of the fourth. Need a little more explosiveness, but the proof of concept was there. Adding back in a couple of the guys we didn't have available, I think we should look better against SDSU. Don't know if it's enough to win, but it ought to look better. Boise is the best team we will play all year.


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

BigBlueAggie
Posts: 216
Joined: November 20th, 2010, 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by BigBlueAggie » October 26th, 2020, 10:50 am

Game is at 7:30 p.m. Sunset is 5:13 p.m. So it will be clear and cold. Probably start in the mid to high 40s and end around mid 30s.

I'd take the under on points, but watch the line for a few days before placing my bet. If it grows over 7, I'd bet the Aggies. I think the game will be close. I was encouraged by what we saw in the 3rd quarter. The line got some momentum and Warren is just a beast with the ball.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 26th, 2020, 10:56 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:16 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Agzrule wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 9:57 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 2:44 pm
Should be a low scoring game that we have a chance to win. I don't know if we cover. I see the score being like 17-6 or something, but it won't be like yesterday where the game is over at halftime.
The way we tackle we may not hold anyone under 20 points this year
You might be right, but honestly I have more faith in our defense after yesterday than our offense. We had a horrible defensive second quarter, otherwise the d was not great, but adequate. Our offense really was putrid all night.
The offense was fine in the third quarter, and parts of the fourth. Need a little more explosiveness, but the proof of concept was there. Adding back in a couple of the guys we didn't have available, I think we should look better against SDSU. Don't know if it's enough to win, but it ought to look better. Boise is the best team we will play all year.
Boise State will be the best team we play all year, but SDSU's defense is right there if not better. They return 7 starters and 5 all conference (including honorable mention) players from a defense that was second in the nation in scoring defense last year. We will be at home and we'll have a week to fix things, but the level of play on defense won't be a drop off this week. Struggling to move the ball against Boise means we'll have a hard time moving the ball against SDSU.



Yossarian
Posts: 3835
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 491 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by Yossarian » October 26th, 2020, 12:07 pm

I'm thinking 31-14 in favor of the Aztecs in this one.



BigBlueAggie
Posts: 216
Joined: November 20th, 2010, 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by BigBlueAggie » October 26th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Line has moved to 7.5 already at some spots, so money is coming in on SDSU. I'm tempted at 7.5, but I bet it moves further.

COVID factor makes me wary though. We could be worse off or better. Who knows! :bangwall: Over under seems about right, so I wouldn't touch that one.



hickaggie
Posts: 3151
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 171 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by hickaggie » October 26th, 2020, 3:00 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:16 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Agzrule wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 9:57 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 2:44 pm
Should be a low scoring game that we have a chance to win. I don't know if we cover. I see the score being like 17-6 or something, but it won't be like yesterday where the game is over at halftime.
The way we tackle we may not hold anyone under 20 points this year
You might be right, but honestly I have more faith in our defense after yesterday than our offense. We had a horrible defensive second quarter, otherwise the d was not great, but adequate. Our offense really was putrid all night.
The offense was fine in the third quarter, and parts of the fourth. Need a little more explosiveness, but the proof of concept was there. Adding back in a couple of the guys we didn't have available, I think we should look better against SDSU. Don't know if it's enough to win, but it ought to look better. Boise is the best team we will play all year.
The problem was that the only time the offense was fine was when they went exclusively to the inside dive play to Warren. SDSU will load the box and shut that down. Can Shelley handle and recognize the 3 3 5 stunts and get the ball downfield when we get McGriff or Nathan in single coverage mismatches? Can Shelley run the read option when the ends and OLB come in hard on Jalen. There were several times he should have pulled against Boise but they had the most speed on the outside of any team the Aggies will face and would have likely recovered. That's where I would have liked to see Peasley because if his ACL is better he brings the kind of speed needed to pull and get outside.

I have my doubts about Shelley and hope to see what Peasley can do but we'll see. Hopefully, getting back to Logan against an opponent a bit closer to their level will help.



Stockypoo2212
Posts: 62
Joined: August 17th, 2019, 9:46 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: SDSU -7

Post by Stockypoo2212 » October 26th, 2020, 3:36 pm

I think gentry will have a big game getting to the outside for lots of yards. And scarver on jet sweeps



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9981
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5510 times
Been thanked: 3284 times
Contact:

Re: SDSU -7

Post by aggies22 » October 27th, 2020, 7:41 am

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 3:36 pm
I think gentry will have a big game getting to the outside for lots of yards. And scarver on jet sweeps
I don't think Scarver has enough lateral quickness to be effective in the jet sweep. Deven Thompkins needs to be the guy here. He's every bit the player JoJo Natson was the last time Coach Andersen was here.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Stockypoo2212



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic