Two breaks we caught, or it would have been a lot worse

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
taniataylor

Re: Two breaks we caught, or it would have been a lot worse

Post by taniataylor » October 28th, 2020, 5:36 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 5:16 pm
taniataylor wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 2:33 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 2:27 pm
taniataylor wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 2:14 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 1:55 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 6:32 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 12:20 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 7:41 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 1:38 am
Maybe it's time we let our All-American returner field punts (assuming he's a go for next week).
Scarver is a great KR. Really good speed and an internal knack for seeing the crease. But he can't catch. PR requires a different skill-set than kickoff-return; where a player who has a history of not being able to consistently catch the ball, especially over the middle, doesn't belong. Almost every instance of a PR is similar to a receiver running over the middle.
What are you talking about? How can he be a good KR if he can't catch? :headscratch: Catching the ball on a punt and kick return IS ESSENTIALLY THE SAME SKILL!!! They both look like this:

The only major difference is with punting you have less time to catch the ball and make a decision. Even with the minor differences, you are going to sit there and tell me the best kick returner IN THE COUNTRY couldn't reliably field a punt? You're crazy!
Have you ever watched a football game?

A KR has about a 20 yard space between himself and the defender - everything is in front of him.

A PR often has but a few yards between himself and the defenders - while he looking straight up into the air.

Look around the country and the NFL, it is very rare to have the same guy returning punts and kickoffs.
You're talking about spacing, not catching. The mechanics of catching the ball are the same. For you to say Scarver can't catch is total BS. He is the best kick return in college football last year, those skills are translatable!!!!!!
Best kick returner, but not catcher...if that was the case the #1 slot would not have been moved to Savon’s spot to be the starter and kept him at the the #2 poss #3 now outside receiver.

To be a KR u dont have a difficult time catching a ball in space, where the defenders are trying to get to the ball from the opposite side of the field, a PR? The defenders are on top of the PR real quick!

You wont prove your point to me. The coaches dont see it either. But when he returns from his ankle injury, we shall see....DT might have KR locked in by then though! 🤣🤣
So you get mad when people bash on Jordan, yet you degrade the only consensus All-American player we've had since Merlin Olsen, that's just stupid!
Until now, I have not done that AT ALL!! You have been bashing Jordan since you brought your A$$ here. I haven’t knocked our QB, our D-line, no one until you came here and started your BS

I am also stating facts. Savon has done great at KR, he would not make it as a PR. He is not a WR, he is a really fast KR and good at it

I’ll be at the Nov 14 game, we can talk about it then....🤣😂
I disagree, you said on this very thread that a) Savon can't catch and b) you think he should be replaced as our primary KR by DT. How is that not disparaging him? It's totally reasonable that you'd defend your son, but don't get mad at me for pointing out that Jordan has not lived up to (apparently low) expectations if YOU DO THE SAME THING to another player on the team!
What I said is: I have not spoken bad about a player on the team ever until you opened your trap and took shots at Jordan. You spoke your truth and I have done the same. AND YES, DT very easily could take Savon’s spot. He is Savon and Jordan’s back- up, and since Savon sprained his ankle it is possible DT would take over KR.
I havent broken down why things are the way they are with the receivers because YOU couldnt handle it. I know ALOT ABOUT ALOT but I choose not to trash a kid everytime I come in here

AND NO HE CANNOT CATCH WHEN THERE ARE PLAYERS NEARBY
Last edited by taniataylor on October 28th, 2020, 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 28th, 2020, 5:37 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 5:16 pm
taniataylor wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 2:33 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 2:27 pm
taniataylor wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 2:14 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 1:55 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 6:32 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 12:20 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 7:41 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 1:38 am
Maybe it's time we let our All-American returner field punts (assuming he's a go for next week).
Scarver is a great KR. Really good speed and an internal knack for seeing the crease. But he can't catch. PR requires a different skill-set than kickoff-return; where a player who has a history of not being able to consistently catch the ball, especially over the middle, doesn't belong. Almost every instance of a PR is similar to a receiver running over the middle.
What are you talking about? How can he be a good KR if he can't catch? :headscratch: Catching the ball on a punt and kick return IS ESSENTIALLY THE SAME SKILL!!! They both look like this:

The only major difference is with punting you have less time to catch the ball and make a decision. Even with the minor differences, you are going to sit there and tell me the best kick returner IN THE COUNTRY couldn't reliably field a punt? You're crazy!
Have you ever watched a football game?

A KR has about a 20 yard space between himself and the defender - everything is in front of him.

A PR often has but a few yards between himself and the defenders - while he looking straight up into the air.

Look around the country and the NFL, it is very rare to have the same guy returning punts and kickoffs.
You're talking about spacing, not catching. The mechanics of catching the ball are the same. For you to say Scarver can't catch is total BS. He is the best kick return in college football last year, those skills are translatable!!!!!!
Best kick returner, but not catcher...if that was the case the #1 slot would not have been moved to Savon’s spot to be the starter and kept him at the the #2 poss #3 now outside receiver.

To be a KR u dont have a difficult time catching a ball in space, where the defenders are trying to get to the ball from the opposite side of the field, a PR? The defenders are on top of the PR real quick!

You wont prove your point to me. The coaches dont see it either. But when he returns from his ankle injury, we shall see....DT might have KR locked in by then though! 🤣🤣
So you get mad when people bash on Jordan, yet you degrade the only consensus All-American player we've had since Merlin Olsen, that's just stupid!
Until now, I have not done that AT ALL!! You have been bashing Jordan since you brought your A$$ here. I haven’t knocked our QB, our D-line, no one until you came here and started your BS

I am also stating facts. Savon has done great at KR, he would not make it as a PR. He is not a WR, he is a really fast KR and good at it

I’ll be at the Nov 14 game, we can talk about it then....🤣😂
I disagree, you said on this very thread that a) Savon can't catch and b) you think he should be replaced as our primary KR by DT. How is that not disparaging him? It's totally reasonable that you'd defend your son, but don't get mad at me for pointing out that Jordan has not lived up to (apparently low) expectations if YOU DO THE SAME THING to another player on the team!

Go Aggies!

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » October 28th, 2020, 11:02 pm

So how do we decide who OCAggie's is family of. That has to be the only answer at this point. I still think its savon's family. But it seems weird to be his too.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 29th, 2020, 12:09 am

To be fair to OCAggie, Savon Scarver has been great in his role and deserves a lot of love from the fanbase. I mean we are talking about an All American and the 2018 Jet Award Winner here. He was number 1 in kick off return yards in 2018 and 14th last year. He also had two touchdown returns each season.

I'm not saying he should be the punt returner. Obviously the coaches don't agree he should be and if he struggles to catch in traffic, that is a problem. However, people acting like OC is a troll or this topic is somehow out of bounds; give me a break. It is a very fair message board topic when you have one of the most explosive return men in the game to wonder if he would help the team if utilized elsewhere.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
USU78OrangeCountyAggie

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » October 29th, 2020, 8:24 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 12:09 am
To be fair to OCAggie, Savon Scarver has been great in his role and deserves a lot of love from the fanbase. I mean we are talking about an All American and the 2018 Jet Award Winner here. He was number 1 in kick off return yards in 2018 and 14th last year. He also had two touchdown returns each season.

I'm not saying he should be the punt returner. Obviously the coaches don't agree he should be and if he struggles to catch in traffic, that is a problem. However, people acting like OC is a troll or this topic is somehow out of bounds; give me a break. It is a very fair message board topic when you have one of the most explosive return men in the game to wonder if he would help the team if utilized elsewhere.
I agree that it is fair to ask the question. Once. Maybe twice. But this is an ongoing thing with him even after it's been hashed out to death. Savon is a wonderful KR and NO ONE has disputed that. He would not be a good PR.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 29th, 2020, 8:55 am

I don't believe it is this topic specifically that has folks feathers ruffled, but rather OCs continued bashing of Mr. Nathan that has people calling out OC for his troll like behavior. This has been going on for probably a year-ish now. It's old and played out and unnecessary. We get it, he doesn't like the kids game, move on.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
USU78Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Go Aggies!

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » October 29th, 2020, 9:59 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 1:58 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 9:13 am
It's bizarre that anyone could think that Jordan has a problem catching punts based on one punt. I don't know what the stats are, but I can't recall an issue prior to Saturday. He's done a fabulous job.
Except for the time he muffed one in the bowl game which set Kent State up for an easy touchdown and (likely) cost us the game!
That makes two; it matters not that it was a bowl game. A game is a game.

Jordan does a great job. Savon is not a PR, and any reasonable person can see that. If he was the best option, he would have been returning punts for years now. The simple fact that Savon has yet to become a regular starter as a receiver is proof enough that he either cannot reliably catch the ball or get open, or both. Otherwise he would have been starting long ago. I've been waiting for years for Savon to be on the field in the offense being a high-profile target, but he just hasn't earned the trust of his coaches in that role. So they've put him where he is successful...KR where they can capitalize on his straight-ahead speed. Savon doesn't out-quick anyone on a KR. But he does run away from people.

I'm excited to see Jordan break a couple this year. Cap off a solid career as a great Aggie!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 29th, 2020, 11:46 am

Aggie19 wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 8:55 am

I don't believe it is this topic specifically that has folks feathers ruffled, but rather OCs continued bashing of Mr. Nathan that has people calling out OC for his troll like behavior. This has been going on for probably a year-ish now. It's old and played out and unnecessary. We get it, he doesn't like the kids game, move on.
Fair enough. As the great comedian Jeff Ross said; "it isn't about going too far, but you can do too much."
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Aggie19

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » October 29th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Jordan Nathan is back there for a reason...a very good reason...he simply has the hands, nerves, and judgment that it takes to excel back there. Seldom makes a mistake and at least for last year we were middle to upper tier in return yards.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 29th, 2020, 4:47 pm

Im sorry guys. I dont want to argue with this person anymore. Im tired.
I know Jordan isnt the best receiver or PR USU has ever seen and I would never imply that - he gives it his all - I just dont wanna hear how terrible he is when I know he’s not.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » October 29th, 2020, 5:48 pm

taniataylor wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 4:47 pm
I know Jordan isnt the best receiver or PR USU has ever seen and I would never imply that - he gives it his all - I just dont wanna hear how terrible he is when I know he’s not.
You are using logic and thought as your weapons and the person you are dealing with appears to be unarmed.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
BustaMcNutt

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 29th, 2020, 6:08 pm

gomretat wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 5:48 pm
taniataylor wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 4:47 pm
You are using logic and thought as your weapons and the person you are dealing with appears to be unarmed.
:notworthy: :shock:

Stucki

Post by Stucki » October 29th, 2020, 9:44 pm

I get why he went with football since a football scholarship is so much better than those in equivalency sports, but Scarver could probably help our track team more than our football team.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 29th, 2020, 9:56 pm

Stucki wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 9:44 pm
I get why he went with football since a football scholarship is so much better than those in equivalency sports, but Scarver could probably help our track team more than our football team.
Ok, but Scarver certainly has helped our football team. Him not being the best man for the punt returning job shouldn't take away what he has done as a kick returner. Jet award winner on an 11-2 team at USU is pretty special. People are acting like Scarver is Chris Stallworth.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
sam tingeyFull

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 29th, 2020, 10:11 pm

Scarver does fantastic returning kicks. He has changed quite a few games with his touchdowns. Nathan has done a really solid job fielding punts for his 4 years. If Scarver had it out to a good punt returner I am confident the coaches would have them there. They both have things they are really good at. It is better to celebrate both of their strengths rather than try and tear one of them down and bring the other one up.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 29th, 2020, 10:23 pm

October 29th, 2020, 9:56 pm
People are acting like Scarver is Chris Stallworth.
Except being Chris Stallworth isn't all that bad. He did have the hail mary catch against New Mexico.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 29th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 10:11 pm
Scarver does fantastic returning kicks. He has changed quite a few games with his touchdowns. Nathan has done a really solid job fielding punts for his 4 years. If Scarver had it out to a good punt returner I am confident the coaches would have them there. They both have things they are really good at. It is better to celebrate both of their strengths rather than try and tear one of them down and bring the other one up.
Great post. Again, I'm not saying Scarver should be the punt returner, but it did feel like this thread deviated into a "crap on Scarver" thread which is too bad. Aggie fans should respect what he has done the last two years.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
OrangeCountyAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 29th, 2020, 10:43 pm

October 29th, 2020, 10:34 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Great post. Again, I'm not saying Scarver should be the punt returner, but it did feel like this thread deviated into a "crap on Scarver" thread which is too bad. Aggie fans should respect what he has done the last two years.
I completely agree. They both have fantastic strengths and have helped the team immensely.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 30th, 2020, 12:53 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
Wow, what a boring post!

You say he has done "a really solid job," is that based on metrics or the old eyeball test? What is your standard for a "solid" PR? Also using that tired argument that the "coaching staff knows best" would imply they also know best in how to evaluate a QB or that Tipa Galeai should clearly be used as a DE instead of an outside LB!

Locked Previous topicNext topic