Negatives from Tonight

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OrangeCountyAggie

Negatives from Tonight

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 24th, 2020, 11:23 pm

I started the game in a bad mood because the game on FS1 went into double OT and I missed half of the first quarter of USU v. Bosie. Seriously, is it just me or does this happen EVER SINGLE TIME on every televised game? Can't they schedule these games further apart?

Anyway, a few players on the team showed me something and have me excited moving forward, mainly Warren, Noa, Thomkins, D.Wright, Gilliam, Moore, and McGriff (just on potential, not actual performance) and a few others. Outside of that;

1. Our receivers sucked! No one was getting open or helping the QB when the play broke down. Everyone just stood around after running their initial routes.
2. The play calling was unimaginative. No use of the TE's at all, no play-action, no trick plays, no throwing to different areas of the field.
3. Shelly, although he didn't have much help, did a great Kent Myers impression! He stared down, receivers, wobbled some passes, and held on to the ball way too long! It was weird that the coaching staff "mixed it up" by putting Peasly in there for one series only to hand the ball off 3 times in a row. :headscratch:
4. O-line pass protection was a major issue.
5. We were OK at stopping the run but, man, did Bachmeier carve up our secondary! Especially the middle of the field - which our offense seems allergic to.
6. This probably didn't matter in the end but it's still infuriating to me every time Anderson lets the clock run out at the end of quarters and halftimes. You were already down by three scores with under a minute to go in the second quarter with the ball and two timeouts left. DON'T BE A P***Y!

stang

Re: Negatives from Tonight

Post by stang » October 24th, 2020, 11:33 pm

As bad as Shelley was, as bad as the receivers, as bad as the tackling was, my biggest concerns from tonight are all related to playcalling. Both sides of the ball. It just feels like the coaching staff has not made many adjustment to the strengths and weaknesses of the personnel they have. And the offensive play calling was unbelievably unimaginative.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 24th, 2020, 11:36 pm

Again, you can be to creative when you can’t execute simple fundamentals like pass blocking, etc..
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
MaverickAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 24th, 2020, 11:39 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 11:36 pm
Again, you can be to creative when you can’t execute simple fundamentals like pass blocking, etc..
I hate to knock Shelley and this will be my last even semi-negative thing about him for the rest of the week, but when we talk about playcalling, this is where he is a step down. I believe Columbi would have given us more freedom to open up the playbook than what we saw tonight.

We'll see how it goes. One good thing about tonight, is this is probably the best team we play all year. SDSU is probably the next best team, but their offense will be a step down from Boise.

Locked Previous topicNext topic