punt game evolved?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brownjeans
Flatulent

punt game evolved?

Post by brownjeans » October 25th, 2020, 3:31 pm

It used to be no one would catch a punt inside the 10. People do it all the time now, even calling for a fair catch. Has the thinking changed on it?

I think I'd like to make the punting team try to keep it out of the end zone rather than catch it inside the 10. But I wonder if that's wrong because people seem to catch it more these days.

Anyone know the modern thoughts behind this change? Are there metrics that day you are better off catching it?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: punt game evolved?

Post by aggies22 » October 26th, 2020, 5:13 am

Perhaps I'm off base here but I'm still in the camp that coaches a player to stand at the 10 and anything over your head you let go.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
brownjeanssstrasser

Bondar4Aggies

Post by Bondar4Aggies » October 26th, 2020, 8:06 am

It’s because of how punters punt now. When they punt it end over end, usually with a shorter field, it creates a bounce that is less likely to quickly kick forward into the end zone.

Allowing 10 yards of space for the ball to land with gunners right there waiting for it, gives a high probability they can down it inside the 5.

Not catching inside the 10 should be on longer punts where it’s spiraling and gunners are further away.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 26th, 2020, 10:22 am

Bondar4Aggies wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 8:06 am
It’s because of how punters punt now. When they punt it end over end, usually with a shorter field, it creates a bounce that is less likely to quickly kick forward into the end zone.

Allowing 10 yards of space for the ball to land with gunners right there waiting for it, gives a high probability they can down it inside the 5.

Not catching inside the 10 should be on longer punts where it’s spiraling and gunners are further away.
So........ the type of punts that are easiest to field and have the best chance for a long return?

Eutaw St. Aggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 26th, 2020, 11:58 am

Bondar4Aggies wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 8:06 am

I guess I'm wondering if there is data that supports it being better to field a punt inside the 10 vs not fielding a punt inside the 10?
I mean, what are the safety stats for the different scenarios? How about 3 and outs? Are they more common if the team starts inside the 10 vs at the 20? What about opponent scores after a 3-and-out inside the 10 vs at the 20? What's the data say about the risks - is it clear from the data that you should catch a punt inside the 10?

I have no idea where I would find this information or I'd look it up. Football stats are generally not very advanced. Seems like football lags behind other sports in this regard.

Locked Previous topicNext topic