End the Shelley experiment

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 336
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 26th, 2020, 1:23 am

While I agree it's probably not fair to judge Shelly after one game against a really good team. There was literally NOTHING, I saw in that game that had me believe he was anything but a below-average QB at best.

Think about the debuts of some of the better QB's we've seen at USU over the last few decades (Nelson, Keeton, Garretson, Love, and even Columbi) they all had a certain moxie, determination/sense of urgency, leadership in the huddle, and at least one elite-level skill or characteristic that leads you to believe they're a "gamer."

The good news is we've already seen some of those characteristics with Peasly in his limited snaps the last few years. I hope the coaching staff gives him a real opportunity soon despite any ego's, mistakes with Columbi or (potential) promises made to Shelly.



User avatar
Postiez
Posts: 385
Joined: March 27th, 2013, 6:18 pm
Location: Salt Lake City
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Postiez » October 26th, 2020, 8:24 am

Looks like the only option left is to Salvage the season and switch to the triple option next week.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41742&p=451552


Utes Fan
USU Supporter

Don't lump me in with the other Utah maniacs on here :lol: :lol: :lol: .

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5485
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 710 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 26th, 2020, 8:27 am

Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
I appreciate you coming here and taking the time to make a post. But there's several things we need to unpack here before you come and act as though you're the voice of reason.

#1 - Nobody went to your board JUST to tell you how awful Shelley was. There was a thread saying Shelley's game was tonight and wondering if he's going to look like a Heisman contender in the MWC. That's nothing but complete ignorance. Realize your QB you're all excited about, Jake Bentley, transferred because he's being replaced by an MWC QB.

#2 - You need to understand with USU that Gary ran out of town Henry Colombi when he brought in Jason Shelley. Colombi has worked hard and sat the bench for 3 years at USU, waiting his turn. He looked good in limited minutes and we were all excited to see him play. Now he's starting and winning for Texas Tech, and looking solid while doing it.

#3 - Let's circle back to last season and remember when Drew Lisk was listed ahead of Jason Shelley on Utah's depth chart. Bartle was saying it was basically just rewarding Lisk for his hard work. But then in a game situation when it was time for the backup, Drew Lisk played over Jason Shelley! Drew Lisk was a walk on and ended up passing Jason Shelley in the depth chart.
I find it funny all of the Ute fans blaming USU's offensive line & receivers to spin Shelley's poor play. You mean the same O-line & receivers Jordan Love had last season? Yes, Mariner is gone. But Mariner was also cast aside at Utah so he transferred. Mcgriff and Mariner don't seem too far apart.
Shelley is known for his legs, except even when he ran he didn't look fast. To be honest Colombi looks a lot faster when he's running for Texas Tech than Shelley did.

#5 - Let's talk about Utah's QB situation. All I heard last season was how amazing Cam Rising looks and what a superstar he is in practice. If he were such a superstar, why would the coaches bring in a grad transfer that's expected to start? And for Jake Bentley, the fact of the matter is if the South Carolina coaches had told him he'd be the starter, he'd still be there. He left because of a crowded QB room, which in fact he's now supplanted by a G5 transfer. You say Jason Shelley will be fine at the G5 level, well now let me state for a a second time--Your starting QB you're all excited about, Jake Bentley, left South Carolina because he was replaced by a G5 QB.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 3):
slcaggtaniataylor2004AG



taniataylor
Posts: 1925
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 935 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by taniataylor » October 26th, 2020, 8:41 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 8:27 am
Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
I appreciate you coming here and taking the time to make a post. But there's several things we need to unpack here before you come and act as though you're the voice of reason.

#1 - Nobody went to your board JUST to tell you how awful Shelley was. There was a thread saying Shelley's game was tonight and wondering if he's going to look like a Heisman contender in the MWC. That's nothing but complete ignorance. Realize your QB you're all excited about, Jake Bentley, transferred because he's being replaced by an MWC QB.

#2 - You need to understand with USU that Gary ran out of town Henry Colombi when he brought in Jason Shelley. Colombi has worked hard and sat the bench for 3 years at USU, waiting his turn. He looked good in limited minutes and we were all excited to see him play. Now he's starting and winning for Texas Tech, and looking solid while doing it.

#3 - Let's circle back to last season and remember when Drew Lisk was listed ahead of Jason Shelley on Utah's depth chart. Bartle was saying it was basically just rewarding Lisk for his hard work. But then in a game situation when it was time for the backup, Drew Lisk played over Jason Shelley! Drew Lisk was a walk on and ended up passing Jason Shelley in the depth chart.
I find it funny all of the Ute fans blaming USU's offensive line & receivers to spin Shelley's poor play. You mean the same O-line & receivers Jordan Love had last season? Yes, Mariner is gone. But Mariner was also cast aside at Utah so he transferred. Mcgriff and Mariner don't seem too far apart.
Shelley is known for his legs, except even when he ran he didn't look fast. To be honest Colombi looks a lot faster when he's running for Texas Tech than Shelley did.

#5 - Let's talk about Utah's QB situation. All I heard last season was how amazing Cam Rising looks and what a superstar he is in practice. If he were such a superstar, why would the coaches bring in a grad transfer that's expected to start? And for Jake Bentley, the fact of the matter is if the South Carolina coaches had told him he'd be the starter, he'd still be there. He left because of a crowded QB room, which in fact he's now supplanted by a G5 transfer. You say Jason Shelley will be fine at the G5 level, well now let me state for a a second time--Your starting QB you're all excited about, Jake Bentley, left South Carolina because he was replaced by a G5 QB.
Truth??? They can’t haaaandle the truth...


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Calmdown
Posts: 12
Joined: October 25th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Calmdown » October 26th, 2020, 9:32 am

taniataylor wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 8:41 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 8:27 am
Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
I appreciate you coming here and taking the time to make a post. But there's several things we need to unpack here before you come and act as though you're the voice of reason.

#1 - Nobody went to your board JUST to tell you how awful Shelley was. There was a thread saying Shelley's game was tonight and wondering if he's going to look like a Heisman contender in the MWC. That's nothing but complete ignorance. Realize your QB you're all excited about, Jake Bentley, transferred because he's being replaced by an MWC QB.

#2 - You need to understand with USU that Gary ran out of town Henry Colombi when he brought in Jason Shelley. Colombi has worked hard and sat the bench for 3 years at USU, waiting his turn. He looked good in limited minutes and we were all excited to see him play. Now he's starting and winning for Texas Tech, and looking solid while doing it.

#3 - Let's circle back to last season and remember when Drew Lisk was listed ahead of Jason Shelley on Utah's depth chart. Bartle was saying it was basically just rewarding Lisk for his hard work. But then in a game situation when it was time for the backup, Drew Lisk played over Jason Shelley! Drew Lisk was a walk on and ended up passing Jason Shelley in the depth chart.
I find it funny all of the Ute fans blaming USU's offensive line & receivers to spin Shelley's poor play. You mean the same O-line & receivers Jordan Love had last season? Yes, Mariner is gone. But Mariner was also cast aside at Utah so he transferred. Mcgriff and Mariner don't seem too far apart.
Shelley is known for his legs, except even when he ran he didn't look fast. To be honest Colombi looks a lot faster when he's running for Texas Tech than Shelley did.

#5 - Let's talk about Utah's QB situation. All I heard last season was how amazing Cam Rising looks and what a superstar he is in practice. If he were such a superstar, why would the coaches bring in a grad transfer that's expected to start? And for Jake Bentley, the fact of the matter is if the South Carolina coaches had told him he'd be the starter, he'd still be there. He left because of a crowded QB room, which in fact he's now supplanted by a G5 transfer. You say Jason Shelley will be fine at the G5 level, well now let me state for a a second time--Your starting QB you're all excited about, Jake Bentley, left South Carolina because he was replaced by a G5 QB.
Truth??? They can’t haaaandle the truth...
Lmao he can’t prove that any of that is true at all. It’s funny he thinks he knows so much about why Bentley came to Utah. He’s literally a projected draft pick and holds a few QB records at South Carolina so to act like he’s no better than some decent G5 QB is laughable. The only reason he wasn’t starting last year was because he got injured. He wanted a new situation post-injury and wanted to play for coach Ludwig because he had a relationship with him and knows he is a great QB coach and thought he could take his game to the next level. You’re obviously the guy who came to our board, so maybe you should read more on there and learn the facts before spewing nonsense.

To the point about how Rising must not be that special because they brought in a grad transfer, Kyle Whittingham just said after Saturday’s scrimmage that the QB play was borderline outstanding and he’s not one to over-exaggerate. He was talking about both QBs in the battle and it’s still not clear that Bentley is even going to beat out Rising. You guys just can’t admit that Utah finally has a great QB situation, so much so that you guys are starting a guy we were going to move to safety. We have another 4 star QB committed right now and things are only getting better. You guys got really lucky that Love panned out the way he did, but under the radar guys like him are very rare and I don’t think lightning is going to strike twice anytime soon. Your recruiting is below average even for a G5 team. Sorry to burst your bubble.



slcagg
Posts: 5602
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1022 times
Been thanked: 863 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by slcagg » October 26th, 2020, 9:49 am

Lol. Ute fans are the new BYU fans.

It is good BYU doesn’t have the chance to play the u this year. Or else their heisman candidate might be better than your heisman candidate.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
CastIronAggie



Madmartigan
Posts: 2821
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 174 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Madmartigan » October 26th, 2020, 9:52 am

Calmdown wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:32 am
taniataylor wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 8:41 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 8:27 am
Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
I appreciate you coming here and taking the time to make a post. But there's several things we need to unpack here before you come and act as though you're the voice of reason.

#1 - Nobody went to your board JUST to tell you how awful Shelley was. There was a thread saying Shelley's game was tonight and wondering if he's going to look like a Heisman contender in the MWC. That's nothing but complete ignorance. Realize your QB you're all excited about, Jake Bentley, transferred because he's being replaced by an MWC QB.

#2 - You need to understand with USU that Gary ran out of town Henry Colombi when he brought in Jason Shelley. Colombi has worked hard and sat the bench for 3 years at USU, waiting his turn. He looked good in limited minutes and we were all excited to see him play. Now he's starting and winning for Texas Tech, and looking solid while doing it.

#3 - Let's circle back to last season and remember when Drew Lisk was listed ahead of Jason Shelley on Utah's depth chart. Bartle was saying it was basically just rewarding Lisk for his hard work. But then in a game situation when it was time for the backup, Drew Lisk played over Jason Shelley! Drew Lisk was a walk on and ended up passing Jason Shelley in the depth chart.
I find it funny all of the Ute fans blaming USU's offensive line & receivers to spin Shelley's poor play. You mean the same O-line & receivers Jordan Love had last season? Yes, Mariner is gone. But Mariner was also cast aside at Utah so he transferred. Mcgriff and Mariner don't seem too far apart.
Shelley is known for his legs, except even when he ran he didn't look fast. To be honest Colombi looks a lot faster when he's running for Texas Tech than Shelley did.

#5 - Let's talk about Utah's QB situation. All I heard last season was how amazing Cam Rising looks and what a superstar he is in practice. If he were such a superstar, why would the coaches bring in a grad transfer that's expected to start? And for Jake Bentley, the fact of the matter is if the South Carolina coaches had told him he'd be the starter, he'd still be there. He left because of a crowded QB room, which in fact he's now supplanted by a G5 transfer. You say Jason Shelley will be fine at the G5 level, well now let me state for a a second time--Your starting QB you're all excited about, Jake Bentley, left South Carolina because he was replaced by a G5 QB.
Truth??? They can’t haaaandle the truth...
Lmao he can’t prove that any of that is true at all. It’s funny he thinks he knows so much about why Bentley came to Utah. He’s literally a projected draft pick and holds a few QB records at South Carolina so to act like he’s no better than some decent G5 QB is laughable. The only reason he wasn’t starting last year was because he got injured. He wanted a new situation post-injury and wanted to play for coach Ludwig because he had a relationship with him and knows he is a great QB coach and thought he could take his game to the next level. You’re obviously the guy who came to our board, so maybe you should read more on there and learn the facts before spewing nonsense.

To the point about how Rising must not be that special because they brought in a grad transfer, Kyle Whittingham just said after Saturday’s scrimmage that the QB play was borderline outstanding and he’s not one to over-exaggerate. He was talking about both QBs in the battle and it’s still not clear that Bentley is even going to beat out Rising. You guys just can’t admit that Utah finally has a great QB situation, so much so that you guys are starting a guy we were going to move to safety. We have another 4 star QB committed right now and things are only getting better. You guys got really lucky that Love panned out the way he did, but under the radar guys like him are very rare and I don’t think lightning is going to strike twice anytime soon. Your recruiting is below average even for a G5 team. Sorry to burst your bubble.
On winning friends and influencing people: Don't come onto another instate fan board and tell us how lucky we are to get good players. It plays into all the things other instate schools say about Utah fans being arrogant and forgetting where you came from.

I for one, am not bullish on Shelley, but it was one game with an all new team so he gets a little more leash. To my untrained eye, dude didn't look like he could make more than one read or throw consistently well. His running was also disappointing. If he lays another egg this weekend, I'm all for letting Peasley have a chance.



Calmdown
Posts: 12
Joined: October 25th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Calmdown » October 26th, 2020, 9:58 am

Madmartigan wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:52 am
Calmdown wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:32 am
taniataylor wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 8:41 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 8:27 am
Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
I appreciate you coming here and taking the time to make a post. But there's several things we need to unpack here before you come and act as though you're the voice of reason.

#1 - Nobody went to your board JUST to tell you how awful Shelley was. There was a thread saying Shelley's game was tonight and wondering if he's going to look like a Heisman contender in the MWC. That's nothing but complete ignorance. Realize your QB you're all excited about, Jake Bentley, transferred because he's being replaced by an MWC QB.

#2 - You need to understand with USU that Gary ran out of town Henry Colombi when he brought in Jason Shelley. Colombi has worked hard and sat the bench for 3 years at USU, waiting his turn. He looked good in limited minutes and we were all excited to see him play. Now he's starting and winning for Texas Tech, and looking solid while doing it.

#3 - Let's circle back to last season and remember when Drew Lisk was listed ahead of Jason Shelley on Utah's depth chart. Bartle was saying it was basically just rewarding Lisk for his hard work. But then in a game situation when it was time for the backup, Drew Lisk played over Jason Shelley! Drew Lisk was a walk on and ended up passing Jason Shelley in the depth chart.
I find it funny all of the Ute fans blaming USU's offensive line & receivers to spin Shelley's poor play. You mean the same O-line & receivers Jordan Love had last season? Yes, Mariner is gone. But Mariner was also cast aside at Utah so he transferred. Mcgriff and Mariner don't seem too far apart.
Shelley is known for his legs, except even when he ran he didn't look fast. To be honest Colombi looks a lot faster when he's running for Texas Tech than Shelley did.

#5 - Let's talk about Utah's QB situation. All I heard last season was how amazing Cam Rising looks and what a superstar he is in practice. If he were such a superstar, why would the coaches bring in a grad transfer that's expected to start? And for Jake Bentley, the fact of the matter is if the South Carolina coaches had told him he'd be the starter, he'd still be there. He left because of a crowded QB room, which in fact he's now supplanted by a G5 transfer. You say Jason Shelley will be fine at the G5 level, well now let me state for a a second time--Your starting QB you're all excited about, Jake Bentley, left South Carolina because he was replaced by a G5 QB.
Truth??? They can’t haaaandle the truth...
Lmao he can’t prove that any of that is true at all. It’s funny he thinks he knows so much about why Bentley came to Utah. He’s literally a projected draft pick and holds a few QB records at South Carolina so to act like he’s no better than some decent G5 QB is laughable. The only reason he wasn’t starting last year was because he got injured. He wanted a new situation post-injury and wanted to play for coach Ludwig because he had a relationship with him and knows he is a great QB coach and thought he could take his game to the next level. You’re obviously the guy who came to our board, so maybe you should read more on there and learn the facts before spewing nonsense.

To the point about how Rising must not be that special because they brought in a grad transfer, Kyle Whittingham just said after Saturday’s scrimmage that the QB play was borderline outstanding and he’s not one to over-exaggerate. He was talking about both QBs in the battle and it’s still not clear that Bentley is even going to beat out Rising. You guys just can’t admit that Utah finally has a great QB situation, so much so that you guys are starting a guy we were going to move to safety. We have another 4 star QB committed right now and things are only getting better. You guys got really lucky that Love panned out the way he did, but under the radar guys like him are very rare and I don’t think lightning is going to strike twice anytime soon. Your recruiting is below average even for a G5 team. Sorry to burst your bubble.
On winning friends and influencing people: Don't come onto another instate fan board and tell us how lucky we are to get good players. It plays into all the things other instate schools say about Utah fans being arrogant and forgetting where you came from.

I for one, am not bullish on Shelley, but it was one game with an all new team so he gets a little more leash. To my untrained eye, dude didn't look like he could make more than one read or throw consistently well. His running was also disappointing. If he lays another egg this weekend, I'm all for letting Peasley have a chance.
Sorry dude, but that guy came to our board first and was being a jerk from the start. Read his post that I responded to. If he doesn’t want to hear my take about your team then maybe he shouldn’t act like a know it all even though he’s dead wrong about the entire QB situation at Utah.
Last edited by Calmdown on October 26th, 2020, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.



slcagg
Posts: 5602
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1022 times
Been thanked: 863 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by slcagg » October 26th, 2020, 9:58 am

Since we talking about recruiting in the P5. Current 5 stars on rosters. SEC, 54. Pac 12, 13. I'm sure 0 on the Utes. You are bigger than USU but you aren't a big boy in the college football world and you never will be. But yes you have advantages that USU does not. Good for you. I did see that you recently got a high 4 star recruit. That's awesome for you guys. But the real teams in college football get those players all day. Your school is getting scraps just like us albeit more scraps.

way to get the scraps of a bottom tiered sec school and now claim he is gonna be an all American.
Last edited by slcagg on October 26th, 2020, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
aggies22CastIronAggie



User avatar
Postiez
Posts: 385
Joined: March 27th, 2013, 6:18 pm
Location: Salt Lake City
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Postiez » October 26th, 2020, 10:02 am

slcagg wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:49 am
Lol. Ute fans are the new BYU fans.
slcagg wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:58 am
Cougarboard post
:lol: :lol:


Utes Fan
USU Supporter

Don't lump me in with the other Utah maniacs on here :lol: :lol: :lol: .

slcagg
Posts: 5602
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1022 times
Been thanked: 863 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by slcagg » October 26th, 2020, 10:07 am

Postiez wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:02 am
slcagg wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:49 am
Lol. Ute fans are the new BYU fans.
slcagg wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:58 am
Cougarboard post
:lol: :lol:
Sarcasm my friend. 😉



User avatar
Postiez
Posts: 385
Joined: March 27th, 2013, 6:18 pm
Location: Salt Lake City
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Postiez » October 26th, 2020, 10:08 am

slcagg wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:07 am
Postiez wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:02 am
slcagg wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:49 am
Lol. Ute fans are the new BYU fans.
slcagg wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:58 am
Cougarboard post
:lol: :lol:
Sarcasm my friend. 😉
Which part?! This place is full Poe's law.


Utes Fan
USU Supporter

Don't lump me in with the other Utah maniacs on here :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Calmdown
Posts: 12
Joined: October 25th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Calmdown » October 26th, 2020, 10:08 am

slcagg wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:58 am
Since we talking about recruiting in the P5. Current 5 stars on rosters. SEC, 54. Pac 12, 13. I'm sure 0 on the Utes. You are bigger than USU but you aren't a big boy in the college football world and you never will be. But yes you have advantages that USU does not. Good for you. I did see that you recently got a high 4 star recruit. That's awesome for you guys. But the real teams in college football get those players all day.
Depends on what you consider to be big boy. Utah is top 10 in most weeks in the top 25 this past decade and that was even before they recruited at the level we are now. We have some of the best coaching and development in CFB. We may not win a NC anytime soon but if you can’t enjoy it without winning titles then there’s no point to most teams playing. Utah competes at a high level consistently and I’m happy with that.
These users thanked the author Calmdown for the post:
oleblu111



User avatar
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl
Posts: 2058
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 499 times
Been thanked: 183 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by sam tingey » October 26th, 2020, 10:15 am

UofU is a good football team. UofU qb play has been the weakest part of their team for quite some time. shelley did terrible last saturday. I hope he does better this sat. Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
Postiez



Calmdown
Posts: 12
Joined: October 25th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Calmdown » October 26th, 2020, 10:17 am

slcagg wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:58 am
Your school is getting scraps just like us albeit more scraps.

way to get the scraps of a bottom tiered sec school and now claim he is gonna be an all American.
Yeah, he’s scraps all right. Tell that to those that projected him to be drafted 🤦‍♂️ You’ll get to see soon enough if Bentley wins the job. Try not to be too jealous. Then for the next 3 years we’ll have another 4 star Cam Rising starting whether or not he wins the job this year. I’m not going to have ridiculously high expectations that they’ll be all Americans as you claim I do, but from everything that’s been reported, we have a great situation on our hands. We haven’t needed all American QB play to be a great team, so any improvement will only help
These users thanked the author Calmdown for the post:
oleblu111



slcagg
Posts: 5602
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1022 times
Been thanked: 863 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by slcagg » October 26th, 2020, 10:17 am

Calmdown wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:08 am
slcagg wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:58 am
Since we talking about recruiting in the P5. Current 5 stars on rosters. SEC, 54. Pac 12, 13. I'm sure 0 on the Utes. You are bigger than USU but you aren't a big boy in the college football world and you never will be. But yes you have advantages that USU does not. Good for you. I did see that you recently got a high 4 star recruit. That's awesome for you guys. But the real teams in college football get those players all day.
Depends on what you consider to be big boy. Utah is top 10 in most weeks in the top 25 this past decade and that was even before they recruited at the level we are now. We have some of the best coaching and development in CFB. We may not win a NC anytime soon but if you can’t enjoy it without winning titles then there’s no point to most teams playing. Utah competes at a high level consistently and I’m happy with that.
Top 10 most of the decade? Proof. Don't look like too many top 10 seasons there. Great success for a middle tier program though. Again good for you guys.

2011: 8-5
2012: 5-7
2013: 5-7
2014: 9-4
2015: 10-3
2016: 9-4
2017: 7-6
2018: 9-5
2019: 11-3

To be fair last year you could have been but then you left the pac 12 schedules for your bowl game and got blown out by a middle tier big 12 program last year..



Stockypoo2212
Posts: 62
Joined: August 17th, 2019, 9:46 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Stockypoo2212 » October 26th, 2020, 10:25 am

What could Shelley have done better? He had no help from his receivers the entire game. Then when the running game picked up they didn't call any plays for him to make a big play. I remember multiple dropped passes that were right on spot. There were 2 big dropped passes late in the game that would've given us a first down instead of a punt....
These users thanked the author Stockypoo2212 for the post (total 3):
Calmdownoleblu111BLUERUFiO



Calmdown
Posts: 12
Joined: October 25th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Calmdown » October 26th, 2020, 10:28 am

slcagg wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:17 am
Calmdown wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:08 am
slcagg wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:58 am
Since we talking about recruiting in the P5. Current 5 stars on rosters. SEC, 54. Pac 12, 13. I'm sure 0 on the Utes. You are bigger than USU but you aren't a big boy in the college football world and you never will be. But yes you have advantages that USU does not. Good for you. I did see that you recently got a high 4 star recruit. That's awesome for you guys. But the real teams in college football get those players all day.
Depends on what you consider to be big boy. Utah is top 10 in most weeks in the top 25 this past decade and that was even before they recruited at the level we are now. We have some of the best coaching and development in CFB. We may not win a NC anytime soon but if you can’t enjoy it without winning titles then there’s no point to most teams playing. Utah competes at a high level consistently and I’m happy with that.
Top 10 most of the decade? Proof. Don't look like too many top 10 seasons there. Great success for a middle tier program though. Again good for you guys.

2011: 8-5
2012: 5-7
2013: 5-7
2014: 9-4
2015: 10-3
2016: 9-4
2017: 7-6
2018: 9-5
2019: 11-3

To be fair last year you could have been but then you left the pac 12 schedules for your bowl game and got blown out by a middle tier big 12 program last year..
At least read what I said... top ten in most weeks spent in the top 25... as in, there are like 6 teams that spent more time in the top 25 than Utah. Now that I think about it, the stat started at the beginning of the CFP era so still the better part of the last decade.

Just like lots of teams that lose their championship game, Utah wasn’t even up for that bowl game. Not only that, but we had a lot of starters not play. To act like that is who Utah was while ignoring the spectacular entirety of that season is just naive.



Calmdown
Posts: 12
Joined: October 25th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Calmdown » October 26th, 2020, 10:33 am

Here you go, they’re tied for 7th
Image



hickaggie
Posts: 3151
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 171 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by hickaggie » October 26th, 2020, 10:44 am

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:25 am
What could Shelley have done better? He had no help from his receivers the entire game. Then when the running game picked up they didn't call any plays for him to make a big play. I remember multiple dropped passes that were right on spot. There were 2 big dropped passes late in the game that would've given us a first down instead of a punt....
First, I did not see one pass that was dropped. Must have missed it. Nathan did have a chance at the long pass down the left sideline but the defender got a hand on the ball and he was hit by a safety. McGriff got pummeled trying to make a circus catch on another throw and couldn't hang on.

Look, no QB in the world would have beat the Donks with this Aggie team. That is not the point. Watch the QB from a film perspective. He was late getting into progressions, stared down receivers and showed little pocket presence. As a passer he doesn't have the arm strengh or anticipation for anything other than short side outs and slants.

The biggest play for me was the missed wide open post. That's a high school throw. Our guy had 3 steps, no pressure and he threw it 10 yards outside. Nothing to do with Boise on that play.

Ultimately I would agree that his talents as a passer could be overlooked if he brought something else to the table. For example, if he was a run threat in the read game to take pressure off the RBs like Myers sometimes was. Or if he had Keeton's pocket quickness and evasiveness to get scrambles or take advantage of broken coverages. I saw nothing in his technique or play to suggest he does. Maybe I'm wrong and he has some hidden attributes and was just got the deer in the headlights a little because Boise is so good.



JonnyCienPesos
Posts: 2378
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 6:21 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 26th, 2020, 10:53 am

hickaggie wrote:
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:25 am
What could Shelley have done better? He had no help from his receivers the entire game. Then when the running game picked up they didn't call any plays for him to make a big play. I remember multiple dropped passes that were right on spot. There were 2 big dropped passes late in the game that would've given us a first down instead of a punt....
First, I did not see one pass that was dropped. Must have missed it. Nathan did have a chance at the long pass down the left sideline but the defender got a hand on the ball and he was hit by a safety. McGriff got pummeled trying to make a circus catch on another throw and couldn't hang on.

Look, no QB in the world would have beat the Donks with this Aggie team. That is not the point. Watch the QB from a film perspective. He was late getting into progressions, stared down receivers and showed little pocket presence. As a passer he doesn't have the arm strengh or anticipation for anything other than short side outs and slants.

The biggest play for me was the missed wide open post. That's a high school throw. Our guy had 3 steps, no pressure and he threw it 10 yards outside. Nothing to do with Boise on that play.

Ultimately I would agree that his talents as a passer could be overlooked if he brought something else to the table. For example, if he was a run threat in the read game to take pressure off the RBs like Myers sometimes was. Or if he had Keeton's pocket quickness and evasiveness to get scrambles or take advantage of broken coverages. I saw nothing in his technique or play to suggest he does. Maybe I'm wrong and he has some hidden attributes and was just got the deer in the headlights a little because Boise is so good.
Weren’t you the guy that wouldn’t stop complaining about how bad Nevin Lawson was?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 17277
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 853 times
Been thanked: 828 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by NVAggie » October 26th, 2020, 10:55 am

I complained about Lawson early in his career. He was a PI waiting to happen. His senior season was good. He figured out where the line in the sand is drawn for PI. He is an NFL guy so I was obviously wrong.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 26th, 2020, 10:58 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:53 am
hickaggie wrote:
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:25 am
What could Shelley have done better? He had no help from his receivers the entire game. Then when the running game picked up they didn't call any plays for him to make a big play. I remember multiple dropped passes that were right on spot. There were 2 big dropped passes late in the game that would've given us a first down instead of a punt....
First, I did not see one pass that was dropped. Must have missed it. Nathan did have a chance at the long pass down the left sideline but the defender got a hand on the ball and he was hit by a safety. McGriff got pummeled trying to make a circus catch on another throw and couldn't hang on.

Look, no QB in the world would have beat the Donks with this Aggie team. That is not the point. Watch the QB from a film perspective. He was late getting into progressions, stared down receivers and showed little pocket presence. As a passer he doesn't have the arm strengh or anticipation for anything other than short side outs and slants.

The biggest play for me was the missed wide open post. That's a high school throw. Our guy had 3 steps, no pressure and he threw it 10 yards outside. Nothing to do with Boise on that play.

Ultimately I would agree that his talents as a passer could be overlooked if he brought something else to the table. For example, if he was a run threat in the read game to take pressure off the RBs like Myers sometimes was. Or if he had Keeton's pocket quickness and evasiveness to get scrambles or take advantage of broken coverages. I saw nothing in his technique or play to suggest he does. Maybe I'm wrong and he has some hidden attributes and was just got the deer in the headlights a little because Boise is so good.
Weren’t you the guy that wouldn’t stop complaining about how bad Nevin Lawson was?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was also the guy that said our team had quit on Wells before we went on the biggest winning streak in school history. I am actually surprised he is this pessimistic. He spent years calling for Wells to be fired and went on constantly about bringing back Gary. Seems strange to give up on him so soon and go nuts after a loss at Boise State. Nobody likes to lose, but we have a lot of games to play and a lot we can still accomplish this year. This is really a transition year. Next year is where expectations will be raised again.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
slcagg



slcagg
Posts: 5602
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1022 times
Been thanked: 863 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by slcagg » October 26th, 2020, 11:05 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:58 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:53 am
hickaggie wrote:
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:25 am
What could Shelley have done better? He had no help from his receivers the entire game. Then when the running game picked up they didn't call any plays for him to make a big play. I remember multiple dropped passes that were right on spot. There were 2 big dropped passes late in the game that would've given us a first down instead of a punt....
First, I did not see one pass that was dropped. Must have missed it. Nathan did have a chance at the long pass down the left sideline but the defender got a hand on the ball and he was hit by a safety. McGriff got pummeled trying to make a circus catch on another throw and couldn't hang on.

Look, no QB in the world would have beat the Donks with this Aggie team. That is not the point. Watch the QB from a film perspective. He was late getting into progressions, stared down receivers and showed little pocket presence. As a passer he doesn't have the arm strengh or anticipation for anything other than short side outs and slants.

The biggest play for me was the missed wide open post. That's a high school throw. Our guy had 3 steps, no pressure and he threw it 10 yards outside. Nothing to do with Boise on that play.

Ultimately I would agree that his talents as a passer could be overlooked if he brought something else to the table. For example, if he was a run threat in the read game to take pressure off the RBs like Myers sometimes was. Or if he had Keeton's pocket quickness and evasiveness to get scrambles or take advantage of broken coverages. I saw nothing in his technique or play to suggest he does. Maybe I'm wrong and he has some hidden attributes and was just got the deer in the headlights a little because Boise is so good.
Weren’t you the guy that wouldn’t stop complaining about how bad Nevin Lawson was?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was also the guy that said our team had quit on Wells before we went on the biggest winning streak in school history. I am actually surprised he is this pessimistic. He spent years calling for Wells to be fired and went on constantly about bringing back Gary. Seems strange to give up on him so soon and go nuts after a loss at Boise State. Nobody likes to lose, but we have a lot of games to play and a lot we can still accomplish this year. This is really a transition year. Next year is where expectations will be raised again.
I agree. I’ve felt all along that this year was a transition year. With that I still think we can 4-5 games.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5485
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 710 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 26th, 2020, 11:14 am

Calmdown wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:32 am

Lmao he can’t prove that any of that is true at all. It’s funny he thinks he knows so much about why Bentley came to Utah. He’s literally a projected draft pick and holds a few QB records at South Carolina so to act like he’s no better than some decent G5 QB is laughable. The only reason he wasn’t starting last year was because he got injured. He wanted a new situation post-injury and wanted to play for coach Ludwig because he had a relationship with him and knows he is a great QB coach and thought he could take his game to the next level. You’re obviously the guy who came to our board, so maybe you should read more on there and learn the facts before spewing nonsense.

To the point about how Rising must not be that special because they brought in a grad transfer, Kyle Whittingham just said after Saturday’s scrimmage that the QB play was borderline outstanding and he’s not one to over-exaggerate. He was talking about both QBs in the battle and it’s still not clear that Bentley is even going to beat out Rising. You guys just can’t admit that Utah finally has a great QB situation, so much so that you guys are starting a guy we were going to move to safety. We have another 4 star QB committed right now and things are only getting better. You guys got really lucky that Love panned out the way he did, but under the radar guys like him are very rare and I don’t think lightning is going to strike twice anytime soon. Your recruiting is below average even for a G5 team. Sorry to burst your bubble.
I am a fan of Utah football and follow it very closely. When Bentley was transferring to Utah I went and researched everything I could on the South Carolina side as to why he was transferring and that was the conclusion I came to. It was a mixture of what you said too.

I think Utah does have a great QB situation right now and I get why Shelley transferred. That still doesn't change my opinion that I'm not sold there with him. I think the success Utah had with Shelley was a testament to just how good that overall team and Utah's defense was with what they accomplished.

And even though Utah's QB situation looks good right now and Bentley may end up getting drafted, I haven't found him on a single top 20 QB list for the 2021 draft yet.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on October 26th, 2020, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Stockypoo2212
Posts: 62
Joined: August 17th, 2019, 9:46 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Stockypoo2212 » October 26th, 2020, 11:21 am

hickaggie wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:44 am
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:25 am
What could Shelley have done better? He had no help from his receivers the entire game. Then when the running game picked up they didn't call any plays for him to make a big play. I remember multiple dropped passes that were right on spot. There were 2 big dropped passes late in the game that would've given us a first down instead of a punt....
First, I did not see one pass that was dropped. Must have missed it. Nathan did have a chance at the long pass down the left sideline but the defender got a hand on the ball and he was hit by a safety. McGriff got pummeled trying to make a circus catch on another throw and couldn't hang on.

Look, no QB in the world would have beat the Donks with this Aggie team. That is not the point. Watch the QB from a film perspective. He was late getting into progressions, stared down receivers and showed little pocket presence. As a passer he doesn't have the arm strengh or anticipation for anything other than short side outs and slants.

The biggest play for me was the missed wide open post. That's a high school throw. Our guy had 3 steps, no pressure and he threw it 10 yards outside. Nothing to do with Boise on that play.

Ultimately I would agree that his talents as a passer could be overlooked if he brought something else to the table. For example, if he was a run threat in the read game to take pressure off the RBs like Myers sometimes was. Or if he had Keeton's pocket quickness and evasiveness to get scrambles or take advantage of broken coverages. I saw nothing in his technique or play to suggest he does. Maybe I'm wrong and he has some hidden attributes and was just got the deer in the headlights a little because Boise is so good.
The drop by mcgriff late in the game was easily catchable. It went right between his hands. And then the drop by deven thompkins. It was probably a pi.. but still hit him right in the chest



hickaggie
Posts: 3151
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 171 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by hickaggie » October 26th, 2020, 11:26 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:58 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:53 am
hickaggie wrote:
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:25 am
What could Shelley have done better? He had no help from his receivers the entire game. Then when the running game picked up they didn't call any plays for him to make a big play. I remember multiple dropped passes that were right on spot. There were 2 big dropped passes late in the game that would've given us a first down instead of a punt....
First, I did not see one pass that was dropped. Must have missed it. Nathan did have a chance at the long pass down the left sideline but the defender got a hand on the ball and he was hit by a safety. McGriff got pummeled trying to make a circus catch on another throw and couldn't hang on.

Look, no QB in the world would have beat the Donks with this Aggie team. That is not the point. Watch the QB from a film perspective. He was late getting into progressions, stared down receivers and showed little pocket presence. As a passer he doesn't have the arm strengh or anticipation for anything other than short side outs and slants.

The biggest play for me was the missed wide open post. That's a high school throw. Our guy had 3 steps, no pressure and he threw it 10 yards outside. Nothing to do with Boise on that play.

Ultimately I would agree that his talents as a passer could be overlooked if he brought something else to the table. For example, if he was a run threat in the read game to take pressure off the RBs like Myers sometimes was. Or if he had Keeton's pocket quickness and evasiveness to get scrambles or take advantage of broken coverages. I saw nothing in his technique or play to suggest he does. Maybe I'm wrong and he has some hidden attributes and was just got the deer in the headlights a little because Boise is so good.
Weren’t you the guy that wouldn’t stop complaining about how bad Nevin Lawson was?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was also the guy that said our team had quit on Wells before we went on the biggest winning streak in school history. I am actually surprised he is this pessimistic. He spent years calling for Wells to be fired and went on constantly about bringing back Gary. Seems strange to give up on him so soon and go nuts after a loss at Boise State. Nobody likes to lose, but we have a lot of games to play and a lot we can still accomplish this year. This is really a transition year. Next year is where expectations will be raised again.
I love Nevin Lawson. I just always said he was handsy and got a lot of PI calls. By his senior year he learned to get away with a lot of that and that has also been his NFL rep. Best corner we had but there was a long period of time he probably led the country in PI calls before he learned to get his head around.

I stand by my calls to have Wells fired. If it weren't for the AD stepping in and hiring Yost the 11-2 season and telling him to stay the hell away from the offense that would have never happened. Happy Tech took him. His teams regressed and he never coached up a QB. He was good when he had good D coordinators and great one year with 2 good coordinators and an NFL QB. He was a horrible in game coach who was something like 3-15 in close games. The trend continues at Tech.

I was Completely absolutely wrong about Gary. He's not the same guy. I Admit it.

My analyis of the QB is completely based on the film and as always its impossible to get a full feel without seeing real film that includes the entire field. Its not emotional. Looking at the film from how you would attack this offense I would be telling my guys to make him beat us with his arm and legs. Stack the box against the run, keep contain, and dare Shelley to beat us with his arm talent against single coverage because I don't think he can. I hope I am wrong.

Ultimately, we saw enough to decide that Shelley is not the future so why waste the young guys in a rebuilding year that doesn't count against eligibility (no redshirt considerations). Play Peasley to see what he can do and if that doesn't work...Next.

If Shelley brought the mobility athleticism element to the table that Gary wants in a QB then I would feel differently about his limits as a passer. He doesn't.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
USU78



Yossarian
Posts: 3835
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 491 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Yossarian » October 26th, 2020, 11:37 am

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 11:21 am
hickaggie wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:44 am
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:25 am
What could Shelley have done better? He had no help from his receivers the entire game. Then when the running game picked up they didn't call any plays for him to make a big play. I remember multiple dropped passes that were right on spot. There were 2 big dropped passes late in the game that would've given us a first down instead of a punt....
First, I did not see one pass that was dropped. Must have missed it. Nathan did have a chance at the long pass down the left sideline but the defender got a hand on the ball and he was hit by a safety. McGriff got pummeled trying to make a circus catch on another throw and couldn't hang on.

Look, no QB in the world would have beat the Donks with this Aggie team. That is not the point. Watch the QB from a film perspective. He was late getting into progressions, stared down receivers and showed little pocket presence. As a passer he doesn't have the arm strengh or anticipation for anything other than short side outs and slants.

The biggest play for me was the missed wide open post. That's a high school throw. Our guy had 3 steps, no pressure and he threw it 10 yards outside. Nothing to do with Boise on that play.

Ultimately I would agree that his talents as a passer could be overlooked if he brought something else to the table. For example, if he was a run threat in the read game to take pressure off the RBs like Myers sometimes was. Or if he had Keeton's pocket quickness and evasiveness to get scrambles or take advantage of broken coverages. I saw nothing in his technique or play to suggest he does. Maybe I'm wrong and he has some hidden attributes and was just got the deer in the headlights a little because Boise is so good.
The drop by mcgriff late in the game was easily catchable. It went right between his hands. And then the drop by deven thompkins. It was probably a pi.. but still hit him right in the chest
I agree about the pass to McGriff. I would think that he would tell you the ball was catchable, too. A guy with his size and strength has got to pull those balls in.

The one throw-away early in the game by Shelley really confused me. He seemed to just give up and throw the ball toward the sideline. His throw-away pass didn't even make it out of bounds. He also had Nathan open in the same area and could have just as easily thrown to Nathan as toward the sideline.



Stockypoo2212
Posts: 62
Joined: August 17th, 2019, 9:46 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Stockypoo2212 » October 26th, 2020, 11:42 am

hickaggie wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 11:26 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:58 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:53 am
hickaggie wrote:
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:25 am
What could Shelley have done better? He had no help from his receivers the entire game. Then when the running game picked up they didn't call any plays for him to make a big play. I remember multiple dropped passes that were right on spot. There were 2 big dropped passes late in the game that would've given us a first down instead of a punt....
First, I did not see one pass that was dropped. Must have missed it. Nathan did have a chance at the long pass down the left sideline but the defender got a hand on the ball and he was hit by a safety. McGriff got pummeled trying to make a circus catch on another throw and couldn't hang on.

Look, no QB in the world would have beat the Donks with this Aggie team. That is not the point. Watch the QB from a film perspective. He was late getting into progressions, stared down receivers and showed little pocket presence. As a passer he doesn't have the arm strengh or anticipation for anything other than short side outs and slants.

The biggest play for me was the missed wide open post. That's a high school throw. Our guy had 3 steps, no pressure and he threw it 10 yards outside. Nothing to do with Boise on that play.

Ultimately I would agree that his talents as a passer could be overlooked if he brought something else to the table. For example, if he was a run threat in the read game to take pressure off the RBs like Myers sometimes was. Or if he had Keeton's pocket quickness and evasiveness to get scrambles or take advantage of broken coverages. I saw nothing in his technique or play to suggest he does. Maybe I'm wrong and he has some hidden attributes and was just got the deer in the headlights a little because Boise is so good.
Weren’t you the guy that wouldn’t stop complaining about how bad Nevin Lawson was?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was also the guy that said our team had quit on Wells before we went on the biggest winning streak in school history. I am actually surprised he is this pessimistic. He spent years calling for Wells to be fired and went on constantly about bringing back Gary. Seems strange to give up on him so soon and go nuts after a loss at Boise State. Nobody likes to lose, but we have a lot of games to play and a lot we can still accomplish this year. This is really a transition year. Next year is where expectations will be raised again.
I love Nevin Lawson. I just always said he was handsy and got a lot of PI calls. By his senior year he learned to get away with a lot of that and that has also been his NFL rep. Best corner we had but there was a long period of time he probably led the country in PI calls before he learned to get his head around.

I stand by my calls to have Wells fired. If it weren't for the AD stepping in and hiring Yost the 11-2 season and telling him to stay the hell away from the offense that would have never happened. Happy Tech took him. His teams regressed and he never coached up a QB. He was good when he had good D coordinators and great one year with 2 good coordinators and an NFL QB. He was a horrible in game coach who was something like 3-15 in close games. The trend continues at Tech.

I was Completely absolutely wrong about Gary. He's not the same guy. I Admit it.

My analyis of the QB is completely based on the film and as always its impossible to get a full feel without seeing real film that includes the entire field. Its not emotional. Looking at the film from how you would attack this offense I would be telling my guys to make him beat us with his arm and legs. Stack the box against the run, keep contain, and dare Shelley to beat us with his arm talent against single coverage because I don't think he can. I hope I am wrong.

Ultimately, we saw enough to decide that Shelley is not the future so why waste the young guys in a rebuilding year that doesn't count against eligibility (no redshirt considerations). Play Peasley to see what he can do and if that doesn't work...Next.

If Shelley brought the mobility athleticism element to the table that Gary wants in a QB then I would feel differently about his limits as a passer. He doesn't.
Write this down.... Shelley will have a break out game against SDSU and y'all will eat your words
These users thanked the author Stockypoo2212 for the post:
El Sapo



Aggie84025
Posts: 2423
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 762 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Aggie84025 » October 26th, 2020, 11:48 am

To give some perspective. Jordan Love's first real game experience was against WYO in 2017. Love finished 8/18 for 108 yards and 3 interceptions. I am certainly not comparing Shelley to Love and not saying that Shelley is going to be an all league performer. All I am saying is he needs some time. It is hard to start against BSU and SDSU who generally have the top 3-4 defenses in the league every year. Shelley certainly needs to improve, but so does the whole offense including coaches. Here is to hoping the whole group performs better on Saturday and gives us hope.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
PostiezBLUERUFiO



User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3407
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by ratofallaggies » October 26th, 2020, 11:51 am

Shelley will be fine, take a few deep breaths and hold back on the emotional responses from one game against a very good Boise team. I thought there were a lot of positives from that game - Warren was a beast - the offensive line looked great at times - Some good snags by the WR's in the second half - Defense played really well in spurts. They have a lot of film to work off of and I expect they'll be better this week with some of the guys back from Rona. SDSU should be another good team
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 3):
PostiezEl SapoBLUERUFiO



User avatar
CanuckAggie
Posts: 152
Joined: April 20th, 2015, 11:37 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by CanuckAggie » October 26th, 2020, 12:08 pm

The biggest problem before the season and manifesting itself now is our WRs. Offensive line certainly needs some work as well. But man, watching Shelley miss a 6'6" receiver in the end zone and continually throw short of the sticks on 3rd Down made me desperately wish we had used his schollie to find a transfer at WR or fill another hole in the D-Line. I'm optimistic that Shelley will look much better next week and for the remainder of the year but we had a stud in Colombi and I do find fault in Gary not finding a way to keep him here.



Calmdown
Posts: 12
Joined: October 25th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Calmdown » October 26th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 11:14 am
Calmdown wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 9:32 am

Lmao he can’t prove that any of that is true at all. It’s funny he thinks he knows so much about why Bentley came to Utah. He’s literally a projected draft pick and holds a few QB records at South Carolina so to act like he’s no better than some decent G5 QB is laughable. The only reason he wasn’t starting last year was because he got injured. He wanted a new situation post-injury and wanted to play for coach Ludwig because he had a relationship with him and knows he is a great QB coach and thought he could take his game to the next level. You’re obviously the guy who came to our board, so maybe you should read more on there and learn the facts before spewing nonsense.

To the point about how Rising must not be that special because they brought in a grad transfer, Kyle Whittingham just said after Saturday’s scrimmage that the QB play was borderline outstanding and he’s not one to over-exaggerate. He was talking about both QBs in the battle and it’s still not clear that Bentley is even going to beat out Rising. You guys just can’t admit that Utah finally has a great QB situation, so much so that you guys are starting a guy we were going to move to safety. We have another 4 star QB committed right now and things are only getting better. You guys got really lucky that Love panned out the way he did, but under the radar guys like him are very rare and I don’t think lightning is going to strike twice anytime soon. Your recruiting is below average even for a G5 team. Sorry to burst your bubble.
I am a fan of Utah football and follow it very closely. When Bentley was transferring to Utah I went and researched everything I could on the South Carolina side as to why he was transferring and that was the conclusion I came to. It was a mixture of what you said too.

I think Utah does have a great QB situation right now and I get why Shelley transferred. That still doesn't change my opinion that I'm not sold there with him. I think the success Utah had with Shelley was a testament to just how good that overall team and Utah's defense was with what they accomplished.

And even though Utah's QB situation looks good right now and Bentley may end up getting drafted, I haven't found him on a single top 20 QB list for the 2021 draft yet.
His injury and not playing obviously hurt his draft stock and he’ll need to play to prove he is draft worthy again. But here’s one article saying McShay gave him a day 2 draft grade after his junior year. I know there’s others, but this is just the first I found
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thesta ... 61850.html



mcaggie1
Posts: 2700
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 243 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by mcaggie1 » October 26th, 2020, 2:31 pm

sneed wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:55 pm
There is really only one position you don’t take from Utah. We did it. Hope he gets better.

Even if we are a good running team it might get a little boring watching 20 runs up the middle a game.
If it were Darwin Thompson, I would be ok with it.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie



hickaggie
Posts: 3151
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 171 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by hickaggie » October 26th, 2020, 2:50 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 11:48 am
To give some perspective. Jordan Love's first real game experience was against WYO in 2017. Love finished 8/18 for 108 yards and 3 interceptions. I am certainly not comparing Shelley to Love and not saying that Shelley is going to be an all league performer. All I am saying is he needs some time. It is hard to start against BSU and SDSU who generally have the top 3-4 defenses in the league every year. Shelley certainly needs to improve, but so does the whole offense including coaches. Here is to hoping the whole group performs better on Saturday and gives us hope.
I was at that game and got to see the difference between Love and Myers in person. Despite Love's picks I was immediately impressed with how quickly he got the ball out, his pocket presence, and leadership. He looked like a real QB and a sea change from what we had seen from Myers.

This is not about the numbers for me anyway. Myers was an OK athlete playing QB (had some straight line speed, average but inconsistent arm, could sometimes go through a progression). Sorry, but in Shelley I saw a 5-11 very average athlete without good QB skills or instincts. Nothing to do with the opponent or his stats.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
CastIronAggie



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic