End the Shelley experiment

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Smokin Joe
Posts: 3622
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Smokin Joe » October 25th, 2020, 4:00 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:00 pm
Again, did you guys watch ANY of his film from Utah? I mean, this was obvious from a mile away. The guy was not even allowed to be a QB anymore at a school that has been mostly a QB graveyard for the better part of a decade.

Truer words.... And why in hell did we bring in Shelly? Columbi should not have got his pants in a wad and left in a huff, but why even risk it by bringing in another QB in an already crowded QB room? WTH are we doing?



Machismo
Posts: 3959
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:10 pm
Location: Providence ,Utah
Has thanked: 465 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Machismo » October 25th, 2020, 7:38 am

From what I saw I think we need to start Playing Cooper and Josh, at least they ought to have QB mechanics.
I agree with Hick, and I was afraid this would happen.


"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

KissMyAg
Posts: 347
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 11:31 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by KissMyAg » October 25th, 2020, 7:46 am

taniataylor wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:12 pm
coolag wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:11 pm
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:08 pm
Oh brother.....you guys are emotional. Your husbands should take away your phones.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's sexist.
Kinda made me laugh
Made me laugh too



User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 1026
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by El Sapo » October 25th, 2020, 10:45 am

Last 4 games v BSU

BSU 41 USU 14
BSU 33 USU 24
BSU 56 USU 21
BSU 42 USU 13

Oh yea, Shelley has already won as many quarters in one game against BSU as Love did in his career.

It's not the QB.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 3):
oleblu111BLUERUFiOkofdog


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

User avatar
40Aggie
Posts: 417
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:32 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by 40Aggie » October 25th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Why didn’t Peasley get more run yesterday? Is Shelley that much better, I can’t imagine that is the case. Peasley seems to have better speed and athleticism, and a better arm. He certainly couldn’t be any worse working through progressions and being a real quarterback. I’ll feel a lot better about things next week if we give Peasley a real shot.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 471 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 25th, 2020, 12:30 pm

El Sapo wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 10:45 am
Last 4 games v BSU

BSU 41 USU 14
BSU 33 USU 24
BSU 56 USU 21
BSU 42 USU 13

Oh yea, Shelley has already won as many quarters in one game against BSU as Love did in his career.

It's not the QB.
Shelley will get more time to prove himself, but he isn't comparable to Love against Boise. Love did throw a bad pick against Boise two years ago, but otherwise was solid. He threw the ball for over 350 yards. Last year was awful, but Love still moved the ball better than Shelley did yesterday.

I do agree that beating Boise State is obviously a pretty rare occurrence and calling for Shelley to be benched right now is premature. Let's give him a few more weeks to see what he can do.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
El Sapo



elcheque2
Posts: 479
Joined: September 21st, 2013, 12:52 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by elcheque2 » October 25th, 2020, 12:31 pm

El Sapo wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 10:45 am
Last 4 games v BSU

BSU 41 USU 14
BSU 33 USU 24
BSU 56 USU 21
BSU 42 USU 13

Oh yea, Shelley has already won as many quarters in one game against BSU as Love did in his career.

It's not the QB.

Last 4 games v BSU QB stats

2020 - Shelley
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
14 27 97 0 1

2019 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
21 36 229 1 1

2018 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
29 47 363 3 1

2017 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
17 32 168 1 0


In the one game where we actually competed and might have won if Wells didn't have one foot out the door, the Love played well enough for us to win, so saying "it isn't the QB" isn't entirely true. A lot of our failure against Boise falls on the defense and not being able to establish a run game I think. To your second point, I wouldn't say Shelley won the third quarter. More like Warren won it.
These users thanked the author elcheque2 for the post:
El Sapo



Intermeddler
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 240 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Intermeddler » October 25th, 2020, 12:45 pm

He won a quarter? Are people serious with this?

His stats were garbage. He got moved to safety at Utah, a school desperate for good QB play, because he’s not good. All your priors should be this guy probably isn’t that good and he confirmed that. He’ll probably get better because our schedule gets easier but that was an all time turd of a QB game.



BoiseBronco
Posts: 4
Joined: November 25th, 2018, 10:02 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by BoiseBronco » October 25th, 2020, 1:28 pm

Come on Aggies, take a breath. You have a lot of football left in front of you. Blaming your QB for last nights game is not your only issue. Keep things in perspective and move forward and take care San Diego State. This is a unique year and you could still make it to the Mountain West Championship Game and a return trip to Boise.

Saint Jordon's first start against Boise State.
17 - 32 for 53% completion rate
Score - BSU 41 - USU 14

Shelley
14 - 27 52% for a completion rate
Score - BSU 42 - USU 13

Granted you all have some holes to plug but keep the faith and move forward.

By the way, do you have an extra punter?
These users thanked the author BoiseBronco for the post (total 2):
El SapoBLUERUFiO



User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 1026
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by El Sapo » October 25th, 2020, 1:40 pm

elcheque2 wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 12:31 pm
El Sapo wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 10:45 am
Last 4 games v BSU

BSU 41 USU 14
BSU 33 USU 24
BSU 56 USU 21
BSU 42 USU 13

Oh yea, Shelley has already won as many quarters in one game against BSU as Love did in his career.

It's not the QB.

Last 4 games v BSU QB stats

2020 - Shelley
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
14 27 97 0 1

2019 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
21 36 229 1 1

2018 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
29 47 363 3 1

2017 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
17 32 168 1 0


In the one game where we actually competed and might have won if Wells didn't have one foot out the door, the Love played well enough for us to win, so saying "it isn't the QB" isn't entirely true. A lot of our failure against Boise falls on the defense and not being able to establish a run game I think. To your second point, I wouldn't say Shelley won the third quarter. More like Warren won it.
Totally agree. Even with good QB play (Love) we weren't able to beat Boise.

But people actually want to put this loss on Shelley?

CMON MAN!


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 8307
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 1813 times
Been thanked: 525 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by USU78 » October 25th, 2020, 1:41 pm

BoiseBronco wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 1:28 pm
By the way, do you have an extra punter?
Are you missing one?
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
aggies22


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie19
Posts: 761
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 532 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Aggie19 » October 25th, 2020, 1:47 pm

El Sapo wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 1:40 pm
elcheque2 wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 12:31 pm
El Sapo wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 10:45 am
Last 4 games v BSU

BSU 41 USU 14
BSU 33 USU 24
BSU 56 USU 21
BSU 42 USU 13

Oh yea, Shelley has already won as many quarters in one game against BSU as Love did in his career.

It's not the QB.

Last 4 games v BSU QB stats

2020 - Shelley
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
14 27 97 0 1

2019 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
21 36 229 1 1

2018 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
29 47 363 3 1

2017 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
17 32 168 1 0


In the one game where we actually competed and might have won if Wells didn't have one foot out the door, the Love played well enough for us to win, so saying "it isn't the QB" isn't entirely true. A lot of our failure against Boise falls on the defense and not being able to establish a run game I think. To your second point, I wouldn't say Shelley won the third quarter. More like Warren won it.
Totally agree. Even with good QB play (Love) we weren't able to beat Boise.

But people actually want to put this loss on Shelley?

CMON MAN!
I don't put the loss on Shelley. I think it's a lot coaching, getting the kids prepared and making sure they are right mentally, not to mention X's and O's. I blame lack of execution on the entire team, not just the QB. I blame it on a lot of missing players, covid time, first game, on the road. And I blame it on the fact that Boise had more talent in some places and executed better. I am definitely disappointed in Shelley though, I did expect more and he looked really bad.


Go Aggies!

Aggie84025
Posts: 2401
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Aggie84025 » October 25th, 2020, 2:29 pm

El Sapo wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 1:40 pm
elcheque2 wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 12:31 pm
El Sapo wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 10:45 am
Last 4 games v BSU

BSU 41 USU 14
BSU 33 USU 24
BSU 56 USU 21
BSU 42 USU 13

Oh yea, Shelley has already won as many quarters in one game against BSU as Love did in his career.

It's not the QB.

Last 4 games v BSU QB stats

2020 - Shelley
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
14 27 97 0 1

2019 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
21 36 229 1 1

2018 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
29 47 363 3 1

2017 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
17 32 168 1 0


In the one game where we actually competed and might have won if Wells didn't have one foot out the door, the Love played well enough for us to win, so saying "it isn't the QB" isn't entirely true. A lot of our failure against Boise falls on the defense and not being able to establish a run game I think. To your second point, I wouldn't say Shelley won the third quarter. More like Warren won it.
Totally agree. Even with good QB play (Love) we weren't able to beat Boise.

But people actually want to put this loss on Shelley?

CMON MAN!
Add in the fact with our 2 best teams since joining the conference (2013 and 2018) we were not able to get it done. Fact of the matter Boise is better which over the past 20 years they have been the most consistent team in the west. I would love nothing more than to close that gap but that has not happened and it is just getting wider.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 6890
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 394 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by 2004AG » October 25th, 2020, 2:46 pm

El Sapo wrote:
elcheque2 wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 12:31 pm
El Sapo wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 10:45 am
Last 4 games v BSU

BSU 41 USU 14
BSU 33 USU 24
BSU 56 USU 21
BSU 42 USU 13

Oh yea, Shelley has already won as many quarters in one game against BSU as Love did in his career.

It's not the QB.

Last 4 games v BSU QB stats

2020 - Shelley
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
14 27 97 0 1

2019 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
21 36 229 1 1

2018 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
29 47 363 3 1

2017 - Love
COMP ATT YARDS TD INT
17 32 168 1 0


In the one game where we actually competed and might have won if Wells didn't have one foot out the door, the Love played well enough for us to win, so saying "it isn't the QB" isn't entirely true. A lot of our failure against Boise falls on the defense and not being able to establish a run game I think. To your second point, I wouldn't say Shelley won the third quarter. More like Warren won it.
Totally agree. Even with good QB play (Love) we weren't able to beat Boise.

But people actually want to put this loss on Shelley?

CMON MAN!
I think you’re misunderstanding. We didn’t lose this game because of Shelley. Few games are lost on one player.

What you’re missing though is we aren’t going to win many games if Shelley can’t complete more than 50% of his passes and pass for more than 100 yards.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
oleblu111



Chatman
Posts: 1151
Joined: November 30th, 2010, 11:04 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Chatman » October 25th, 2020, 3:24 pm

El Sapo wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 10:45 am
Last 4 games v BSU

BSU 41 USU 14
BSU 33 USU 24
BSU 56 USU 21
BSU 42 USU 13

Oh yea, Shelley has already won as many quarters in one game against BSU as Love did in his career.

It's not the QB.
I agree. I wish we had Columbi but I don’t think the QB was the reason we lost.

I think we are trying to play a Utah Ute style of football without a defense. Tough to do.

The offense actually showed some good signs in the second half.



JonnyCienPesos
Posts: 2377
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 6:21 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 194 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 25th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Right. But did you guys see those 5 games Shelley started in the PAC12 as a true freshman 2 years ago? There is no way he could ever improve from that. Most players go straight downhill after their freshman year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
El Sapo


I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

ususports
Posts: 1533
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by ususports » October 25th, 2020, 3:39 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 3:29 pm
Right. But did you guys see those 5 games Shelley started in the PAC12 as a true freshman 2 years ago? There is no way he could ever improve from that. Most players go straight downhill after their freshman year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kent Myers managed to do it, so it is definitely achievable at USU with proper bad coaching. Time will tell of our new coaching staff can in fact provide that level of poor coaching.



Calmdown
Posts: 12
Joined: October 25th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Calmdown » October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
Last edited by Calmdown on October 25th, 2020, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Calmdown for the post (total 3):
Sl7vkBLUERUFiOaggies22



JonnyCienPesos
Posts: 2377
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 6:21 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 194 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 25th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Calmdown wrote:Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had didn't little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
Don’t mind these guys. Many of them wanted Love benched last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
Sl7vk


I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Aggie84025
Posts: 2401
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Aggie84025 » October 25th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
Thanks for your perspective, you bring up some good points.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 6890
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 394 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by 2004AG » October 25th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
Well, in defense of who came on your board to say he was awful.....he was awful.

It was one game, so we'll need a bigger sample size, but early returns are that he's not the answer at QB at Utah State anymore than he was the answer at Utah.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 6890
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 394 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by 2004AG » October 25th, 2020, 8:23 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:26 pm
Calmdown wrote:Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had didn't little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
Don’t mind these guys. Many of them wanted Love benched last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Many"? I know its your schtick to take one or two comments and then extrapolate it and apply it to everyone, but one or two idiots making comments can't and shouldn't apply to the whole board.



slcagg
Posts: 5574
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1007 times
Been thanked: 854 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by slcagg » October 25th, 2020, 8:29 pm

Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
Who is the guy who that started 33 games? Did he come from South Carolina?

Interesting enough, the former Colorado state Qb is starting at South Carolina this year.



JonnyCienPesos
Posts: 2377
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 6:21 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 194 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 25th, 2020, 8:32 pm

2004AG wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:26 pm
Calmdown wrote:Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had didn't little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
Don’t mind these guys. Many of them wanted Love benched last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Many"? I know its your schtick to take one or two comments and then extrapolate it and apply it to everyone, but one or two idiots making comments can't and shouldn't apply to the whole board.
Our definitions of “many” may differ but it wasn’t just one or two.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Calmdown
Posts: 12
Joined: October 25th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Calmdown » October 25th, 2020, 8:40 pm

slcagg wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:29 pm
Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
Who is the guy who that started 33 games? Did he come from South Carolina?

Interesting enough, the former Colorado state Qb is starting at South Carolina this year.
Yep, Jake Bentley from South Carolina. He went down for the season in the first game last year then a new OC came in, apparently from CSU, with his QB. Bentley will be good if he starts though. He’s a projected draft pick and our OC Ludwig will help him be better than he was at SC just like he helped Huntley improve a lot from prior years.



Calmdown
Posts: 12
Joined: October 25th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Calmdown » October 25th, 2020, 8:43 pm

2004AG wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:22 pm
Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
Well, in defense of who came on your board to say he was awful.....he was awful.

It was one game, so we'll need a bigger sample size, but early returns are that he's not the answer at QB at Utah State anymore than he was the answer at Utah.
Lol

“It was one game, so we’ll need a bigger sample size”

....

“Early returns are that he’s not the answer at QB”

What is it?



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3004
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 734 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by ineptimusprime » October 25th, 2020, 8:48 pm

Some needed context for Ute guy — a part of the negative reaction to Shelley and his play (and only part of it, because he was abysmal yesterday) is that his coming here resulted in a QB we were all excited to watch this year leaving the program. That guy did everything right in an Aggie uniform, and is now a P5 starter.

Is it fair to place Colombi leaving at Shelley’s feet? Absolutely not — he’s just a kid looking for an opportunity to play QB and our coach offered him a scholarship to do that. That coach’s decision resulted in a bad situation for Colombi (that he has dug himself out of, showing he is every bit the player we all thought he was), and an unfair situation/expectations for Shelley here at USU. It was a profoundly stupid decision, at least if the goal is to be fair to the kids in the program and those transferring in.

But fair or not, and I don’t want to speak for everyone, but my expectation for Shelley was: “this guy better be really good if we chased Colombi off for him.” And yesterday he was not only not “really good” — he was abysmal. Anything short of “really good” play was going to generate this sort of reaction under the circumstances.

But this doesn’t mean he can’t improve, and we should give him more time. His play yesterday and at Utah don’t inspire much confidence though. If we start this season 0-4, it will then be time to end the Shelley experiment.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
utahcountyaggieAglicious



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 6890
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 394 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by 2004AG » October 25th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Calmdown wrote:
2004AG wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:22 pm
Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
Well, in defense of who came on your board to say he was awful.....he was awful.

It was one game, so we'll need a bigger sample size, but early returns are that he's not the answer at QB at Utah State anymore than he was the answer at Utah.
Lol

“It was one game, so we’ll need a bigger sample size”

....

“Early returns are that he’s not the answer at QB”

What is it?
What is it?

An atrocious first game.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



slcagg
Posts: 5574
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1007 times
Been thanked: 854 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by slcagg » October 25th, 2020, 8:59 pm

Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:40 pm
slcagg wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:29 pm
Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
Who is the guy who that started 33 games? Did he come from South Carolina?

Interesting enough, the former Colorado state Qb is starting at South Carolina this year.
Yep, Jake Bentley from South Carolina. He went down for the season in the first game last year then a new OC came in, apparently from CSU, with his QB. Bentley will be good if he starts though. He’s a projected draft pick and our OC Ludwig will help him be better than he was at SC just like he helped Huntley improve a lot from prior years.
I’m surprised a projected draft pick in sec lost his spot to a g5 non projected draft pick (good but not great mw qb really probably about the 4th guy in the conference). Not trying to argue just seems a bit odd to me. If that’s the case South Carolina really messed up.



User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 7227
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 189 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by GeoAg » October 25th, 2020, 9:06 pm

Shelley will be fine.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
El Sapo


"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

Calmdown
Posts: 12
Joined: October 25th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Calmdown » October 25th, 2020, 9:10 pm

slcagg wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:59 pm
Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:40 pm
slcagg wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:29 pm
Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
Who is the guy who that started 33 games? Did he come from South Carolina?

Interesting enough, the former Colorado state Qb is starting at South Carolina this year.
Yep, Jake Bentley from South Carolina. He went down for the season in the first game last year then a new OC came in, apparently from CSU, with his QB. Bentley will be good if he starts though. He’s a projected draft pick and our OC Ludwig will help him be better than he was at SC just like he helped Huntley improve a lot from prior years.
I’m surprised a projected draft pick in sec lost his spot to a g5 non projected draft pick (good but not great mw qb really probably about the 4th guy in the conference). Not trying to argue just seems a bit odd to me. If that’s the case South Carolina really messed up.
Well it’s easy enough to google and find places that had him projected to be drafted before he was injured. And because he transferred doesn’t mean he would have lost his job. Guys transfer all the time to be in better situations and Utah has been way more successful than SC as of late. Plus Ludwig already has a relationship with him because he recruited him when he was at Vanderbilt.



slcagg
Posts: 5574
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1007 times
Been thanked: 854 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by slcagg » October 25th, 2020, 9:31 pm

Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 9:10 pm
slcagg wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:59 pm
Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:40 pm
slcagg wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:29 pm
Calmdown wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Since one of you guys came over to one of the Utah boards to tell us how awful Shelly was and sounded just as ridiculous as most of you guys do, here's a little perspective.

First of all, this was your guys' first game in a season that was rushed together. I'm assuming you had little to no spring ball, and fall camp was limited. Not only that, but normally everyone has 3 warmup games before starting the conference schedule. You guys started against the best team in your conference by far. Are you really that surprised that you looked like a team that was put together 3 weeks ago going up against a very well coached and consistent team? (hint: you basically were)

Second, given those conditions, you're really going to blow off Shelly after that first game? I mean, come on. He may not have had a great game, but he had no help either. I watched most of the game because I wanted to see how he did, and the line rarely gave him any time at all. The commentators never commented that Shelly was doing bad that I heard. You know what they did bring up over and over and proved with replay, though, was the fact that your receivers couldn't create any separation. He did miss some throws as every QB does, but he did a good job putting balls in places the receivers could get them even with a CB draped all over them in the second half. He'll be fine.

And last thing. You guys all bring up how he must not be a QB because he was pushed out of the rotation at Utah without any context at all. Although you guy's don't like to give him credit, Huntley had a great year for Utah last year, and ran the offense to near perfection. Shelly wasn't going to compete with a senior Tyler Huntley. This year, Utah currently has a QB battle going on with a 4 star QB that started 33 games in the SEC and only lost his job because of injury and then the new OC bringing in his guy, and a 4 star QB transfer from Texas. Not only that, but we have a 4 star QB committed in this year's class. Not many QB's are going to compete with that. Shelly couldn't, but that's not to say he can't play the position, especially at the G5 level. Again, he'll be fine.
Who is the guy who that started 33 games? Did he come from South Carolina?

Interesting enough, the former Colorado state Qb is starting at South Carolina this year.
Yep, Jake Bentley from South Carolina. He went down for the season in the first game last year then a new OC came in, apparently from CSU, with his QB. Bentley will be good if he starts though. He’s a projected draft pick and our OC Ludwig will help him be better than he was at SC just like he helped Huntley improve a lot from prior years.
I’m surprised a projected draft pick in sec lost his spot to a g5 non projected draft pick (good but not great mw qb really probably about the 4th guy in the conference). Not trying to argue just seems a bit odd to me. If that’s the case South Carolina really messed up.
Well it’s easy enough to google and find places that had him projected to be drafted before he was injured. And because he transferred doesn’t mean he would have lost his job. Guys transfer all the time to be in better situations and Utah has been way more successful than SC as of late. Plus Ludwig already has a relationship with him because he recruited him when he was at Vanderbilt.
That’s fair. I def trust you know more about the young man than I do.



pcaggie
Posts: 40
Joined: October 15th, 2015, 10:51 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by pcaggie » October 25th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Let’s give the guy a few more games, I am a big Colombi fan, but not sure he would have done much better, it is hard to throw to a receiver that is not open, and not sure the receivers would have caught the balls that were dropped. I like Colombo fundamental better, like looking at more receivers than one. Colombo is gone, we are left with who we have so let’s hope they can turn it around, and play better, I for one will be at some games, watching others and I figure this is a practice year, I feel we will go 5-3 or 4-4 (MW is down). Stay strong, it could be worse! There could be no football at all.



hickaggie
Posts: 3151
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 171 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by hickaggie » October 26th, 2020, 12:09 am

So many people are missing the point of my post. USU wouldn't have had a chance to beat Boise with Brady, Wilson, Montana, Mahomes. You name it. The QB didn't lose the game.

I strictly made my observations on how Shelley plays QB. He doesn't have the technique, instincts, arm talent, pocket presence, or plain football instincts for the position. That would be one thing if he were a great athlete who could complement the RBs in the read game or make big plays like Keeton with his quickness and athleticism against the rush. But he is an average athlete at best without good football instincts.

I watch games from the standpoint of a defense and how you would attack a QB and team. With him just put 8 in the box, come at him, and you pretty much will shut down the Aggies. That is what every D is going to do unless he can magically transform every aspect of his game in a couple of weeks.

Why waste your team with that. If the young guys are worse then so be it. I can't see how they can be.

Shelley is a poor man's Kent Myers. Smaller, slower, and less accurate with all of the other traits that Myers had.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
2004AGutahcountyaggie



Calmdown
Posts: 12
Joined: October 25th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Calmdown » October 26th, 2020, 12:27 am

hickaggie wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 12:09 am
So many people are missing the point of my post. USU wouldn't have had a chance to beat Boise with Brady, Wilson, Montana, Mahomes. You name it. The QB didn't lose the game.

I strictly made my observations on how Shelley plays QB. He doesn't have the technique, instincts, arm talent, pocket presence, or plain football instincts for the position. That would be one thing if he were a great athlete who could complement the RBs in the read game or make big plays like Keeton with his quickness and athleticism against the rush. But he is an average athlete at best without good football instincts.

I watch games from the standpoint of a defense and how you would attack a QB and team. With him just put 8 in the box, come at him, and you pretty much will shut down the Aggies. That is what every D is going to do unless he can magically transform every aspect of his game in a couple of weeks.

Why waste your team with that. If the young guys are worse then so be it. I can't see how they can be.

Shelley is a poor man's Kent Myers. Smaller, slower, and less accurate with all of the other traits that Myers had.
Lmao yeah, you can definitely make all those observations from one game after he’s had very little time with your team. For sure buddy. I just can’t take you seriously at all when you say he’s an average athlete at best 😂 Utah was going to move him to safety of all places. Utah has put all of their starting safeties in the nfl the past couple cycles(Ballard, Hansen, Williams, Blackmon, Burgess) and have had great pride in developing players at that position specifically. They wouldn’t have wanted him there if he was an “average athlete at best.” That’s just funny



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic