Positives from Tonight

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie19

Positives from Tonight

Post by Aggie19 » October 24th, 2020, 10:28 pm

I'm through complaining about this game, the Aggies are back and that's something to look forward to no matter what during covid time. So, that said, here are a few things I liked tonight:

Warren: Obviously the brightest spot on offense tonight, at least in the second half. Kids plays with heart.

McGriff: Not sure how good of a receiver he actually is, but he's huge and looks like he can catch. I think he'll payoff in the redzone all year.

O line: When Warren started going off in the 2nd half the line was really starting to click. I'm not sure they are mean enough yet, hopefully they will be, but those couple of drives they looked alright.

AJV: It was only one moment that stood out to me, but when he came through and sacked the QB in the first half, gave me flashes of some of those other Aggie LBs from the past blitzing. I was like, oh, there it is!

D Line: I thought the d line had pretty good pressure when rushing the QB. Stopping the run was equally as bad, but Holani is great and he's proven he can do it to us more than once, so we'll see.

Go Aggies!

Aggie84025

Re: Positives from Tonight

Post by Aggie84025 » October 24th, 2020, 10:33 pm

The offense is going to need some explosive plays. It is hard to drive the ball for 15 play drives and only get 3-4 yards per play. The receivers are going to need to play better, but I think McGriff looked decent and seems like he can catch the ball. Need to the TE's to be utilized. Hoping to see improvement in game 2. The defense was not good, but seems to be somewhat improved over last year. They do need to tackle better. I think the team will improve.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 24th, 2020, 10:34 pm

It’s 10:30 and I’m watching late night college football again. Didn’t think this would happen this year so I’ll take anything.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
BLUERUFiO

ususports

Post by ususports » October 24th, 2020, 10:38 pm

I would like to add that the game ended to your list.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 24th, 2020, 10:44 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 10:33 pm
The offense is going to need some explosive plays. It is hard to drive the ball for 15 play drives and only get 3-4 yards per play. The receivers are going to need to play better, but I think McGriff looked decent and seems like he can catch the ball. Need to the TE's to be utilized. Hoping to see improvement in game 2. The defense was not good, but seems to be somewhat improved over last year. They do need to tackle better. I think the team will improve.
Yeah we'll improve over the course of the year. It is good and bad that we have our two toughest games out of the way to start the season. Bad because we'll likely start 0-2 and not be as in sync as we would be if we played them down the road, but good because we get them out of the way and have a much more doable road to close the year.

Lack of big plays was a serious problem. We had a few good runs, but otherwise we were fighting for every yard. Unfortunately I really worry about our passing this year. Granted, we were playing a good opponent, but it gave me vibes of some of our teams from the 00's where it was a struggle just to pass for 100 yards in a game.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 24th, 2020, 10:46 pm

McGriff missed a good pass in traffic. Right through his hands. I would like to see him pull that pass down. Receivers didn't help Shelley today.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 24th, 2020, 10:47 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 10:44 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yeah we'll improve over the course of the year. It is good and bad that we have our two toughest games out of the way to start the season. Bad because we'll likely start 0-2 and not be as in sync as we would be if we played them down the road, but good because we get them out of the way and have a much more doable road to close the year.

Lack of big plays was a serious problem. We had a few good runs, but otherwise we were fighting for every yard. Unfortunately I really worry about our passing this year. Granted, we were playing a good opponent, but it gave me vibes of some of our teams from the 00's where it was a struggle just to pass for 100 yards in a game.
The passing game will have to improve. Hopefully it will. It is easy to see that Shelley is not a super good passer, but I hope it can improve. It is funny as I really think the aggies will win next week, but that is the optimist in me. I sure hope we can improve next game and make this offense more explosive. It is for sure a work in progress.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 24th, 2020, 10:48 pm

Yossarian wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 10:46 pm
McGriff missed a good pass in traffic. Right through his hands. I would like to see him pull that pass down. Receivers didn't help Shelley today.
That was a good throw and longer one at that. Receivers need to help out the QB.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 24th, 2020, 10:52 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 10:47 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:

The passing game will have to improve. Hopefully it will. It is easy to see that Shelley is not a super good passer, but I hope it can improve. It is funny as I really think the aggies will win next week, but that is the optimist in me. I sure hope we can improve next game and make this offense more explosive. It is for sure a work in progress.
I don't know anything about San Diego State this year, but last year they had an elite defense and a pretty bad offense. 2nd in the nation in scoring defense last year, but 112th in scoring.

It might be like a 10-7 game.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 24th, 2020, 10:58 pm

October 24th, 2020, 10:52 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

I don't know anything about San Diego State this year, but last year they had an elite defense and a pretty bad offense. 2nd in the nation in scoring defense last year, but 112th in scoring.

Based on how the offense performed, I don't think we can get into a shootout with anyone right now.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 24th, 2020, 11:37 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 10:58 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

Based on how the offense performed, I don't think we can get into a shootout with anyone right now.
I won't predict a win by any means, but I'm much more confident against SDSU than Boise State. I pretty much felt tonight wasn't going to be close. I think SDSU can at least be a competitive game.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 24th, 2020, 11:39 pm

October 24th, 2020, 11:37 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 10:58 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

I won't predict a win by any means, but I'm much more confident against SDSU than Boise State. I pretty much felt tonight wasn't going to be close. I think SDSU can at least be a competitive game.
I think so to, I was expecting a more competitive game tonight. I think with another week of practice and preparation we will see a better product out on the field.

Locked Previous topicNext topic