Darwin Thompson

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Yossarian

Darwin Thompson

Post by Yossarian » October 15th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Seems to be on the outside looking in with the Chiefs. They have relied on a rookie as their #1 back this year and I don't think Thompson got any carries or passes thrown to him last week at all -- did he even play? Now, it looks like the Chiefs will sign LeVeon Bell as another runningback - presumably ahead of Thompson on the depth chart.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Re: Darwin Thompson

Post by Aglicious » October 15th, 2020, 6:05 pm

After the draft I really thought KC was a great spot for DT, but after a really impressive pre-season last year Reid has proceeded to play McCoy and both the Williams before him and then followed that up by drafting a RB high this year. :disappointed:

I think it would be best if DTrain could catch on with a different club that is willing to see what he can do with some touches. It's really not that different than other USU RB's that were drafted this decade. No one seems to give them a shot to be the main ball carrier. Kerwynn got the shot once due to a lot of injuries in front of him and he delivered a 100+ yard game for the Cardinals and received the game ball. Then, it was right back to the same old....
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
aggies22sstrasserAggieFBObsession

astroman31
Has thanked: 0

Post by astroman31 » October 16th, 2020, 10:07 pm

Darwin made some major mistakes in the Ravens game. Lost containment on a kickoff return and a disastrous fumble that nearly turned the game around for Baltimore. He hasn't had an offensive snap since.

He has struggled in the passing game and in pass protection. I think he has lost the trust of the coaches. With the Bell signing, Darwin's days are numbered. Next year Damien Williams returns (a Covid opt out) and Darwin will be looking for another team. Sad to see it.
These users thanked the author astroman31 for the post:
aggies22

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » October 17th, 2020, 5:52 am

He might get waived due to the Bell signing, and then resigned to the practice squad or perhaps get a chance with another team. We'll see what happens! I hope the best for our man!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 17th, 2020, 8:15 am

I can think of a few RB starved teams that could use him. The Jets being one of them.

astroman31
Has thanked: 0

Post by astroman31 » October 17th, 2020, 8:58 pm

One last thing to add here. Darwin has had good opportunities with the Chiefs. The coaches have been high on him and he was #2 on the depth chart going into the season. But he has had some bad plays that have stood out. One notable example was in last year's playoffs, Darwin failed to check down on a blitz, wasn't watching and the hot pass bonked off his helmet.

The parallel predictor of how the Chiefs coaches will react to Darwin's very bad Baltimore game is LeSean McCoy from last year. McCoy, the Chiefs leading rusher at the time, critically fumbled in the Green Bay game, which arguably cost the Chiefs an opportunity to win. LeSean suddenly became inactive for most of the rest of the season, including the playoffs. When Darwin fumbled against the Ravens, everyone thought of McCoy's Green Bay game from 2019. It was a very bad look for Darwin.

I think the only way Darwin gets back on offense is if injuries to players above him gives him another chance. That said, there is some good film on Darwin and I hope other teams see his potential.
These users thanked the author astroman31 for the post (total 2):
crazywookieaggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 19th, 2020, 7:51 pm

He carried three times for 17 yards against the Bills today. Respectable ypc.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 19th, 2020, 7:57 pm

Yossarian wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 7:51 pm
He carried three times for 17 yards against the Bills today. Respectable ypc.
Bell was not suited up this game. I’d expect he will be next.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 19th, 2020, 8:23 pm

Taking the Aggie goggles off here.... The reality is, he has had his chances at KC and done well enough with those chances to play exactly as much as he does. He has been good in KC, but never really a game-changer.

I agree that I’d rather he be on a team where he’d get more touches though.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
aggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 19th, 2020, 8:54 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 8:23 pm
Taking the Aggie goggles off here.... The reality is, he has had his chances at KC and done well enough with those chances to play exactly as much as he does. He has been good in KC, but never really a game-changer.

I agree that I’d rather he be on a team where he’d get more touches though.
Hopefully his agent is working the phones trying to find a good fit for him

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic