Official Depth Charts Released

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Official Depth Charts Released

Post by slcagg » October 19th, 2020, 9:35 am

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

slcagg

Re: Way Too Early Depth Chart

Post by slcagg » October 19th, 2020, 9:53 am

Special Teams Depth Chart:

Punter:
1. Christopher Bartolic (Sr)
2. Stephen Kotsanlee (Fr) (Freshman kicker from Australia)

Kicker:
1. Connor Coles (Jr)
2. Nels Haltom (Sr) (utah transfer-had not seen this name)

Long Snapper:
1. Brandon Pada (Sr)
2. Jacob Garcia (Fr)

Holder:
2. Stephen Kotsanlee (Fr)

Punt Returner:
1. Jordan Nathan (Sr)
2. Deven Thompkins (Jr)

Kick Returner
1. Savon Scarver (Sr)
2. Deven Thompkins (Jr)
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 19th, 2020, 9:55 am

slcagg wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 9:53 am
Special Teams Depth Chart:

Punter:
2. Stephen Kotsanlee (Fr) (Freshman kicker from Australia)

Kicker:
1. Connor Coles (Jr)
2. Nels Haltom (Sr) (utah transfer-had not seen this name)

Long Snapper:
1. Brandon Pada (Sr)
2. Jacob Garcia (Fr)

Holder:
2. Stephen Kotsanlee (Fr)

Punt Returner:
1. Jordan Nathan (Sr)
2. Deven Thompkins (Jr)

Kick Returner
1. Savon Scarver (Sr)
2. Deven Thompkins (Jr)

Halstrom has been here since August.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 19th, 2020, 10:00 am

Defense:

DE:
1. Justus Tei (Sr)
2. Jaylin Bannerman (Sr)
3. Addison Trupp (Fr)

NT:
1. Ritsoni Fata (Sr)
2. James Hansen (Jr)

DE:
1. Marcus Moore (Sr)
2. Hale Motu (So)
3. Izzy Vaifo'ou (Fr) (kind of a surprise to me as he is young and I thought a linebacker)

OLB:
1. Nick Heninger (Sr)
2. Elijah Shelton (So)

ILB:
1. Cash Gilliam (Sr)
2. Aj Vongpachanh (So)

ILB:
1. Kevin Metzenheimer (Sr)
2. Eric Munoz (Sr)

Nickel:
1. Andre Grayson (Jr)
2. Jared Reed (So)
3. Patrick Maddox (So)
(losing of the kid from USC hurt us here imo)

CB:
1. Cam Lampkin (So)
2. Jakob Robinson (Fr) Big surprise here
3. Xavier Steele (Jr)

CB:
1. Zahodri Jackson (Jr)
2. Andre Grayson
Loss of adams really hurts the depth at corner

S:
1. Shaq Bond (Sr)
2. Jarrod Green (Jr)

S:
1. Troy Lefeged (Sr)
2. Dominic Tatum (So)
aggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 19th, 2020, 10:01 am

On defense our cb and safety positions have some talent but lack a ton of depth in my opinion. The loss of the USC kid and Adams really hurts.

The young group of linebackers for the most part have not found their way on the depth chart.

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
aggies22Sl7vk

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 19th, 2020, 10:22 am

Looks like Cash Gilliam is the recipient of a starting position with the departure of CJ Pollard. The coaches were forced to put Lefeged back to S instead of in that hybrid LB spot as they had planned which meant someone had to fill in at LB.

I'm disappointed that only one transfer or JC guy that this staff brought in this past off-season is slated to be a starter. The defense was putrid last season (perhaps the worst we've had since "the turnaround") and it looks to be made up of largely the same personnel this year. Let's hope the poor scheme was to blame for the majority of the problems and not the players. I can't help but think back and compare this defense to some of the defenses we had during GA's first stint and it's not that favorable at any position. Most of these guys wouldn't be starters on those teams so I can't say I am too excited about the group that's been assembled on this side of the ball. Next year though? Without Fata, Heninger, Moore, Tei, Bond, Lefeged, and Meitz?! Yikes!! We need some young guys to step up this season.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 19th, 2020, 10:25 am

Aglicious wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 10:22 am
Looks like Cash Gilliam is the recipient of a starting position with the departure of CJ Pollard. The coaches were forced to put Lefeged back to S instead of in that hybrid LB spot as they had planned which meant someone had to fill in at LB.

I'm disappointed that only one transfer or JC guy that this staff brought in this past off-season is slated to be a starter. The defense was putrid last season (perhaps the worst we've had since "the turnaround") and it looks to be made up of largely the same personnel this year. Let's hope the poor scheme was to blame for the majority of the problems and not the players. I can't help but think back and compare this defense to some of the defenses we had during GA's first stint and it's not that favorable at any position. Most of these guys wouldn't be starters on those teams so I can't say I am too excited about the group that's been assembled on this side of the ball. Next year though? Without Fata, Heninger, Moore, Tei, Bond, Lefeged, and Meitz?! Yikes!! We need some young guys to step up this season.
The position effected the most with moving Lefeged back to safety is where Grayson is starting. That ilb would have been there regardless.

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » October 19th, 2020, 10:27 am

Aglicious wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 10:22 am

I truly believe our struggles on defense last year had way more to do with scheme then talent. The players that were and are on this roster are built more for the style of D we will be running this year. I agree depth across the D-line is thin but, the secondary while young is very talented.
These users thanked the author jeffdan25 for the post:
aggies22

SLB

Re: Official Depth Charts Released

Post by SLB » October 19th, 2020, 10:33 am

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 19th, 2020, 10:34 am

Thanks whoever made this it's own thread.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » October 19th, 2020, 10:39 am

Suprised Noa doesn't beat Makakona. So much depth at RB.

So Shelley is your starter then.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 19th, 2020, 10:41 am

slcagg wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 10:34 am
Thanks whoever made this it's own thread.
:thanks:
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
slcaggaggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 19th, 2020, 10:41 am

QB:
1. Jason Shelley (Jr)
2. Andrew Peasley (So)
3. Cooper Legas (Fr)

Rb:
1. Jaylen Warren (Sr) or
2. DHC (Sr)
3. Pailate makakona (so)
4. John Gentry (Fr)
Big surprise is Pailate makakona

Lt:
1. Alfred Edwards (Jr) or
2. Andy Koch (So)

LG:
1. Andy Koch (So) or
2. Jackson Owens (Fr)

Center:
1. Demytrick Aliifua (Sr)
2. Falepule Alo (Fr) or
3. Chandler Dolphin (So)
Alo is not the starter after all

RG:
1. Karter Shaw (So)
2. Wade Meacham (So)

RT:
1. Jacob South (So) or
2. Alfred Edwards (Jr)

Looks like we have 8 guys on the oline with South, Edwards, Koch, Owens, Aliifua, Shaw, Meacham, Alo or Dolphin

TE:
1. Carson Terrell (Sr)
2. Mosese manu (sr) or
3. Bryce Mortenson (So)
No Broc Lane. A little surprising i think

WR:
1. Jordan Nathan (Sr)
2. Savon Scarver (Sr)
3. Ajani Carter (So)

WR:
1. Deven Thompkins (Jr)
2. Taylor Compton (Sr) or
3. Kyle Van Leeuwen (Fr)
Surprised to see Van Leeuwen here

WR:
1. Justin McGriff (So)
2. Derek Wright (So)
3. Tim Patrick (So)

Suprised no Quinton Hadnot here in one of the receivers.
Last edited by slcagg on October 19th, 2020, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOAZ4AggieNation

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 19th, 2020, 10:44 am

Alright back to work for me.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 19th, 2020, 10:45 am

I'm not really excited about our front 7 at all. I see some decent starting players. D Line is very thin, which is a big concern. The linebackers look pretty slow to me. I like Henniger. Metz is good, but slow in coverage. Shelton and Munoz are even slower. I wasn't as amp'd about AJ as some. When he started last year (Fresno?) he looked out of sorts. We won't be able to run our ball-control offense with this poor of a defense. I'm rather underwhelmed.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Roy McAvoy

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » October 19th, 2020, 10:51 am

NVAggie wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 10:45 am
I'm not really excited about our front 7 at all. I see some decent starting players. D Line is very thin, which is a big concern. The linebackers look pretty slow to me. I like Henniger. Metz is good, but slow in coverage. Shelton and Munoz are even slower. I wasn't as amp'd about AJ as some. When he started last year (Fresno?) he looked out of sorts. We won't be able to run our ball-control offense with this poor of a defense. I'm rather underwhelmed.
I'm confused by your take. Slow linebackers? Metz is not super quick but Henniger is and is super twitchy, and Gilliam is a former safety who can run and was a run support style safety. AJ got thrown in as a true freshman in a game we were completely depleted at the LB spot and he had to learn on the fly. From the look of this depth chart we will be in a 3-3-5 as our base defense. you are not asking your linebackers to cover in space with 5 DB's on the field.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 19th, 2020, 10:55 am

jeffdan25 wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 10:51 am
NVAggie wrote:
I'm confused by your take. Slow linebackers? Metz is not super quick but Henniger is and is super twitchy, and Gilliam is a former safety who can run and was a run support style safety. AJ got thrown in as a true freshman in a game we were completely depleted at the LB spot and he had to learn on the fly. From the look of this depth chart we will be in a 3-3-5 as our base defense. you are not asking your linebackers to cover in space with 5 DB's on the field.
IIRC, weren't they trying to move AJV to a D Line position at the beginning of last year, then with injuries they moved him back? Am I remembering that incorrectly? Might be another a reason he looked out of sorts last year when he got thrown in.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
aggies22

Go Aggies!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 19th, 2020, 11:08 am

Anybody else as shocked as I am that Shelley is the starter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
AggieFBObsession

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » October 19th, 2020, 11:11 am

A big surprise to me is Heneli (Avendano) Bloomfield.
He goes from rotating at LG last year (and starting a couple games) and being presumed by essentially everyone to start at LG this season, to no mention in the depth chart at all.
Surprised to see Jackson Owens mentioned at LG if Koch ends up starting LT. Love when we have young guys step up.
Last edited by utahcountyaggie on October 19th, 2020, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author utahcountyaggie for the post:
aggies22

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 19th, 2020, 11:12 am

Interesting that they are playing around with Edwards at either Tackle. Also shocked that Bloomfield goes from former starter to not even listed on the 2 deep?

EDIT: beat to it....above.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
utahcountyaggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 19th, 2020, 11:22 am

2004AG wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 11:08 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
October surprise. The big guy wasn’t gonna let us down.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 19th, 2020, 11:41 am

jeffdan25 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
I said I liked Henniger. I can accept the Gilliam stuff from you. I can't recall how well he read pass vs. run. That will be critical in his position. The others are pretty slow. They can't cover sideline-to-sideline due to poor angles and lack of speed. I'm just stating my opinion. I hope I am wrong.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 19th, 2020, 11:43 am

NVAggie wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 11:41 am
jeffdan25 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
I said I liked Henniger. I can accept the Gilliam stuff from you. I can't recall how well he read pass vs. run. That will be critical in his position. The others are pretty slow. They can't cover sideline-to-sideline due to poor angles and lack of speed. I'm just stating my opinion. I hope I am wrong.
Yeah the speed was apparent as soon as we lost David. Not sure we can pinpoint on only one guy but that’s what I noticed (with my limited talent in spotting these things). That’s why I was hoping the young guys would step up. Gilliam was also banged up so hopefully he helps improve this.

I didn’t think Shelton was slow.
Last edited by slcagg on October 19th, 2020, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 19th, 2020, 12:19 pm

No major surprises on offense. Defense looks paper thin, especially on the line.

The secondary went from what I thought would be a major strength to a major question mark, but we knew that would be the case with the recent departures.

I’m trying to be optimistic and talk myself out of the feeling I have that this season has such a potential to be just a total trainwreck, but it is hard.

Still excited for Saturday!

coolag

Post by coolag » October 19th, 2020, 12:22 pm

Offense could be decent.
Defense could get ugly fast.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post (total 2):
IntermeddlerIdaAg93

Regulator of Class

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 19th, 2020, 12:25 pm

coolag wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 12:22 pm
Offense could be decent.
Yep.

ericsil7

Post by ericsil7 » October 19th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Fun fact I just looked up, WR Tim Patrick Jr is the son of former NFL receiver Tim Patrick Sr. and brother of former Ute and current Denver Bronco WR Tim Patrick
These users thanked the author ericsil7 for the post:
AggieArmy

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 19th, 2020, 12:40 pm

There are some young talented players that aren't showing up on the depth chart that should be contributors in the future and they may surface as the season progresses.

We also need to remember that most programs are suffering with opt outs, transfers, and COVID cases just like we are, so we won't be playing against opposition with the depth that they normally have either. This season is really going to test the depth of a lot of teams and their coaches' abilities to adapt.

Anyone know any specifics on what roster fallout Boise has suffered? They thinner in areas than they anticipated? Maybe I'll go over to the Boise game week thread and ask.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 19th, 2020, 12:42 pm

ericsil7 wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 12:29 pm
Fun fact I just looked up, WR Tim Patrick Jr is the son of former NFL receiver Tim Patrick Sr. and brother of former Ute and current Denver Bronco WR Tim Patrick
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/100000 ... 1122403152
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
Aglicious

Eutaw St. Aggie

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » October 19th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Surprised Keegan Duncan didn't make the 2 deep. I have been high on him ever since I watched him in HS.

ususports

Post by ususports » October 19th, 2020, 12:58 pm

2004AG wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 11:08 am
No matter which side of the argument people were on, with HC now gone to TT, this announcement is neither surprising, nor does it validate one side or the other.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » October 19th, 2020, 1:07 pm

I can't remember a time were the Fall camp depth chart was the same as the guys who walked out to take the first snap. There may be some gameplay going on. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those positions changed quite a bit.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 19th, 2020, 1:10 pm

coolag wrote:
Offense could be decent.
Not that that tho means anything. But dI defense won the first scrimmage

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » October 19th, 2020, 1:19 pm

slcagg wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 1:10 pm
coolag wrote:
Offense could be decent.
If there's one thing Gary Andersen is good at, it's at producing high effort and creative defenses.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 19th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 1:19 pm
slcagg wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 1:10 pm
coolag wrote:
Offense could be decent.
If there's one thing Gary Andersen is good at, it's at producing high effort and creative defenses.
My goodness I can’t form a sentence. per gary the defense won the first scrimmage.

Locked Previous topicNext topic