Meanwhile in Lubbock

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Machismo
Posts: 3959
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:10 pm
Location: Providence ,Utah
Has thanked: 465 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Machismo » September 26th, 2020, 5:22 pm

If this goes the way I think it will Matt Wells is going to be King for a week.
These users thanked the author Machismo for the post:
slcagg


"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

Elkaggie
Posts: 3971
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 197 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Elkaggie » September 26th, 2020, 5:26 pm

He has a knack for winning rivalry games. We know that.



User avatar
TheBigSilk
Posts: 20
Joined: January 5th, 2019, 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by TheBigSilk » September 26th, 2020, 5:34 pm

They are trying to give it back to Texas. It feels like an Aggie snatching a L out of the jaws of a W.



Machismo
Posts: 3959
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:10 pm
Location: Providence ,Utah
Has thanked: 465 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Machismo » September 26th, 2020, 5:35 pm

TheBigSilk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 5:34 pm
They are trying to give it back to Texas. It feels like an Aggie snatching a L out of the jaws of a W.
I'm having old Aggie flashbacks!!!


"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

User avatar
TheBigSilk
Posts: 20
Joined: January 5th, 2019, 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by TheBigSilk » September 26th, 2020, 5:38 pm

Yost's time in Lubbock?



User avatar
bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score
Posts: 2249
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Location: The suburbs of Lewiston
Has thanked: 198 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by bigblue » September 26th, 2020, 5:43 pm

I just watched the last 40 secs of regulation was enough flashback for me... I almost put money on Texas to win

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

hvaggie
Posts: 107
Joined: August 3rd, 2014, 3:59 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by hvaggie » September 26th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Texas has been picking on jamarcus Ingram all game
These users thanked the author hvaggie for the post:
aggies22



Machismo
Posts: 3959
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:10 pm
Location: Providence ,Utah
Has thanked: 465 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Machismo » September 26th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Oh boy... Not gonna be a good week for Matt after all. What a choke job.


"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score
Posts: 15817
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:08 pm
Location: Arlington, VA
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 625 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 26th, 2020, 5:53 pm

If you told me a team called a timeout with ten seconds left at the 50 only to punt it, I would have told you it must be Matt Wells' team.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 5):
BustaMcNuttBLUERUFiOaggies22hipsterdoofus21SBC_packers



Elkaggie
Posts: 3971
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 197 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Elkaggie » September 26th, 2020, 5:56 pm

Never mind



User avatar
bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score
Posts: 2249
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Location: The suburbs of Lewiston
Has thanked: 198 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by bigblue » September 26th, 2020, 5:57 pm

bigblue wrote:I just watched the last 40 secs of regulation was enough flashback for me... I almost put money on Texas to win

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Ok I logged on and put ten bucks on Texas to win before OT Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bigblue for the post:
Sl7vk


Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

ususports
Posts: 1534
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 424 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by ususports » September 26th, 2020, 6:28 pm

I changed the channel after Texas Tech went up 56-41 with 3 minutes left and only found out they lost the game by coming to this board. Holy crap, that is amazing.



Jjoey52
Posts: 3559
Joined: December 16th, 2014, 11:17 pm
Has thanked: 126 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Jjoey52 » September 26th, 2020, 6:38 pm

I missed the end, but I figured a ten point lead and the ball with 4 minutes left was good to go.


“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score
Posts: 15817
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:08 pm
Location: Arlington, VA
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 625 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 26th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:I missed the end, but I figured a ten point lead and the ball with 4 minutes left was good to go.
They were up 15


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
Sl7vk



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3004
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 734 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by ineptimusprime » September 26th, 2020, 7:35 pm

That was a Matt Wells special.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
Sl7vkhipsterdoofus21Aglicious



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 960
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 378 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Sl7vk » September 26th, 2020, 8:26 pm

I once checked Matt’s win percentage at USU in games that ended in 8 points or less (one possession). It was under .300.
He’s awful. He’s also very bad in one possession games.
Thank you Lubbock for making that decision easy.
At one point ESPN had TT’s win probability at 99.7%. ;) :shock:
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 4):
aggies22BLUERUFiOAggieFBObsessionAglicious



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3004
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 734 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by ineptimusprime » September 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:26 pm
I once checked Matt’s win percentage at USU in games that ended in 8 points or less (one possession). It was under .300.
He’s awful. He’s also very bad in one possession games.
Thank you Lubbock for making that decision easy.
At one point ESPN had TT’s win probability at 99.7%. ;) :shock:
I think Matt Wells did a lot for USU Football, but he studied at the Gary Andersen school of clock management, which really hurt us at critical moments.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieFBObsession



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 960
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 378 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Sl7vk » September 26th, 2020, 8:50 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:26 pm
I once checked Matt’s win percentage at USU in games that ended in 8 points or less (one possession). It was under .300.
He’s awful. He’s also very bad in one possession games.
Thank you Lubbock for making that decision easy.
At one point ESPN had TT’s win probability at 99.7%. ;) :shock:
I think Matt Wells did a lot for USU Football, but he studied at the Gary Andersen school of clock management, which really hurt us at critical moments.
As brutal as Gary is.... and he is..... he’s better than Matt.



Aggie84025
Posts: 2401
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Aggie84025 » September 26th, 2020, 8:54 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:26 pm
I once checked Matt’s win percentage at USU in games that ended in 8 points or less (one possession). It was under .300.
He’s awful. He’s also very bad in one possession games.
Thank you Lubbock for making that decision easy.
At one point ESPN had TT’s win probability at 99.7%. ;) :shock:
I think Matt Wells did a lot for USU Football, but he studied at the Gary Andersen school of clock management, which really hurt us at critical moments.
Both him and Gary have struggled in close games. Matt is probably worse in close games. Still thankful for the job matt did here. He was not perfect but kept us goung in a good direction.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
aggies22cdaAg



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 960
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 378 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Sl7vk » September 26th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:54 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:26 pm
I once checked Matt’s win percentage at USU in games that ended in 8 points or less (one possession). It was under .300.
He’s awful. He’s also very bad in one possession games.
Thank you Lubbock for making that decision easy.
At one point ESPN had TT’s win probability at 99.7%. ;) :shock:
I think Matt Wells did a lot for USU Football, but he studied at the Gary Andersen school of clock management, which really hurt us at critical moments.
Both him and Gary have struggled in close games. Matt is probably worse in close games. Still thankful for the job matt did here. He was not perfect but kept us goung in a good direction.
Perhaps you missed 2016.



ususports
Posts: 1534
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 424 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by ususports » September 26th, 2020, 9:05 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:01 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:54 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:26 pm
I once checked Matt’s win percentage at USU in games that ended in 8 points or less (one possession). It was under .300.
He’s awful. He’s also very bad in one possession games.
Thank you Lubbock for making that decision easy.
At one point ESPN had TT’s win probability at 99.7%. ;) :shock:
I think Matt Wells did a lot for USU Football, but he studied at the Gary Andersen school of clock management, which really hurt us at critical moments.
Both him and Gary have struggled in close games. Matt is probably worse in close games. Still thankful for the job matt did here. He was not perfect but kept us goung in a good direction.
Perhaps you missed 2016.
Or maybe you missed the 2018 season.



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 960
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 378 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Sl7vk » September 26th, 2020, 9:10 pm

ususports wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:05 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:01 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:54 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:26 pm
I once checked Matt’s win percentage at USU in games that ended in 8 points or less (one possession). It was under .300.
He’s awful. He’s also very bad in one possession games.
Thank you Lubbock for making that decision easy.
At one point ESPN had TT’s win probability at 99.7%. ;) :shock:
I think Matt Wells did a lot for USU Football, but he studied at the Gary Andersen school of clock management, which really hurt us at critical moments.
Both him and Gary have struggled in close games. Matt is probably worse in close games. Still thankful for the job matt did here. He was not perfect but kept us goung in a good direction.
Perhaps you missed 2016.
Or maybe you missed the 2018 season.
No I was there.
The only close game won was the CSU game. And that was.... questionable.



Aggie84025
Posts: 2401
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Aggie84025 » September 26th, 2020, 9:12 pm

ususports wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:05 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:01 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:54 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:26 pm
I once checked Matt’s win percentage at USU in games that ended in 8 points or less (one possession). It was under .300.
He’s awful. He’s also very bad in one possession games.
Thank you Lubbock for making that decision easy.
At one point ESPN had TT’s win probability at 99.7%. ;) :shock:
I think Matt Wells did a lot for USU Football, but he studied at the Gary Andersen school of clock management, which really hurt us at critical moments.
Both him and Gary have struggled in close games. Matt is probably worse in close games. Still thankful for the job matt did here. He was not perfect but kept us goung in a good direction.
Perhaps you missed 2016.
Or maybe you missed the 2018 season.
I never said that Matt did well in close games. That being said I can still be thankful for the job he did here. He brought some of the biggest highlights of my Aggie fandom. With victories twice at BYU and over Boise State. Certainly had his flaws and obviously still does but I can still be thankful for the job he did here.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
aggies22



Ahbye
Posts: 1768
Joined: September 26th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 164 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Ahbye » September 26th, 2020, 9:16 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:50 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:26 pm
I once checked Matt’s win percentage at USU in games that ended in 8 points or less (one possession). It was under .300.
He’s awful. He’s also very bad in one possession games.
Thank you Lubbock for making that decision easy.
At one point ESPN had TT’s win probability at 99.7%. ;) :shock:
I think Matt Wells did a lot for USU Football, but he studied at the Gary Andersen school of clock management, which really hurt us at critical moments.
As brutal as Gary is.... and he is..... he’s better than Matt.
No he's not. Matt is and was objectively better.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5692
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 26th, 2020, 9:18 pm

It's easy to forget about GA blowing the lead at LA Tech to go to overtime, since we pulled it out in overtime.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5692
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 26th, 2020, 9:20 pm

Ahbye wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:16 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:50 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:26 pm
I once checked Matt’s win percentage at USU in games that ended in 8 points or less (one possession). It was under .300.
He’s awful. He’s also very bad in one possession games.
Thank you Lubbock for making that decision easy.
At one point ESPN had TT’s win probability at 99.7%. ;) :shock:
I think Matt Wells did a lot for USU Football, but he studied at the Gary Andersen school of clock management, which really hurt us at critical moments.
As brutal as Gary is.... and he is..... he’s better than Matt.
No he's not. Matt is and was objectively better.
I know I have mentioned this before, but one thing Matt has on Gary is beating BYU in Provo twice to none.



Aggie84025
Posts: 2401
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Aggie84025 » September 26th, 2020, 9:22 pm

Gary had some bad ones as well. Auburn, Wisconsin, CSU and at byu.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5692
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 26th, 2020, 9:34 pm

Seeing Texas come from 15 down was a reminder of why we didn't celebrate the 2014 BYU win until after the last stop to get the ball back. Also, who can forget the scare that game when we thought we gave up a kickoff, only for BYU to be offsides.



ususports
Posts: 1534
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 424 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by ususports » September 26th, 2020, 9:56 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:12 pm
ususports wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:05 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:01 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:54 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:26 pm
I once checked Matt’s win percentage at USU in games that ended in 8 points or less (one possession). It was under .300.
He’s awful. He’s also very bad in one possession games.
Thank you Lubbock for making that decision easy.
At one point ESPN had TT’s win probability at 99.7%. ;) :shock:
I think Matt Wells did a lot for USU Football, but he studied at the Gary Andersen school of clock management, which really hurt us at critical moments.
Both him and Gary have struggled in close games. Matt is probably worse in close games. Still thankful for the job matt did here. He was not perfect but kept us goung in a good direction.
Perhaps you missed 2016.
Or maybe you missed the 2018 season.
I never said that Matt did well in close games. That being said I can still be thankful for the job he did here. He brought some of the biggest highlights of my Aggie fandom. With victories twice at BYU and over Boise State. Certainly had his flaws and obviously still does but I can still be thankful for the job he did here.
My comment was supporting your post that Matt kept things going in the right direction. I wasn’t commenting on the Subject of close wins and losses.



Aggie84025
Posts: 2401
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Aggie84025 » September 26th, 2020, 10:06 pm

Got it, i misunderstood.



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 330
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 27th, 2020, 1:23 am

Ahbye wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 9:16 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:50 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 8:26 pm
I once checked Matt’s win percentage at USU in games that ended in 8 points or less (one possession). It was under .300.
He’s awful. He’s also very bad in one possession games.
Thank you Lubbock for making that decision easy.
At one point ESPN had TT’s win probability at 99.7%. ;) :shock:
I think Matt Wells did a lot for USU Football, but he studied at the Gary Andersen school of clock management, which really hurt us at critical moments.
As brutal as Gary is.... and he is..... he’s better than Matt.
No he's not. Matt is and was objectively better.
I'll settle this debate once and for all - start watching around the 2:30 mark:



Pretty sure we had a timeout left :bangwall:



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15900
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 465 times
Been thanked: 1074 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 27th, 2020, 1:30 am

That was the game Wells said he felt comfortable with the play call because NM would have to go 99 yards to win it but they only needed to get to field goal range.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttOrangeCountyAggie



slcagg
Posts: 5579
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1009 times
Been thanked: 858 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by slcagg » September 27th, 2020, 7:20 am

Ugh losing to bob davie and New Mexico. At least he lost to Texas yesterday. Btw I have a friend that attended tech and he and I were texting yesterday and he said we always do this with Texas. Not sure they realize yet that This could be a trend for Matt as well. Too bad I’d like to see Matt do well, a fellow aggie.



Bigd23
Posts: 89
Joined: August 30th, 2015, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Bigd23 » September 27th, 2020, 3:05 pm

I'm more grateful that Texas Tech hired Wells away and let us move on than I am for his time here. Really wanted a bad enough year to justify letting him go or a good enough year for him to be hired away. Heard too many first hand stories about his ego and being untouchable to feel he wasn't suppressing and holding back the program.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bigd23 for the post:
BLUERUFiO



User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 4724
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 213 times

Re: Meanwhile in Lubbock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 27th, 2020, 3:05 pm

LOL. The OP didn't exactly age well, did it? I don't wish Matt Wells ill will, but I don't exactly wish him success either.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
MrBiggle


Formerly TulsAGGIE

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic