Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
FastAggie
Posts: 158
Joined: November 11th, 2010, 10:15 am
Location: Lehi, UT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by FastAggie » September 25th, 2020, 11:55 am

He mentioned in the MWC announcement Q&A. Because of the AFA and Army game one other team would have 7 conference games. I wish we'd get this game rather than the donkeys.



slcagg
Posts: 5607
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1026 times
Been thanked: 865 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by slcagg » September 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Money. I’m sure a BYU and Boise game has more national relevance than usu and BYU and thus a larger draw.



User avatar
FastAggie
Posts: 158
Joined: November 11th, 2010, 10:15 am
Location: Lehi, UT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by FastAggie » September 25th, 2020, 12:06 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm
Money. I’m sure a BYU and Boise game has more national relevance than usu and BYU and thus a larger draw.
or cause Boise is great about whining and expecting special treatment
Last edited by FastAggie on September 25th, 2020, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author FastAggie for the post (total 4):
pilotaggieflying_scotsman2.0hipsterdoofus21sam tingey



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 8322
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 1835 times
Been thanked: 529 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by USU78 » September 25th, 2020, 12:07 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm
Money. I’m sure a BYU and Boise game has more national relevance than usu and BYU and thus a larger draw.
Is "draw" even a thing anymore?


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 336
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 25th, 2020, 12:10 pm

I would hate to see YBU get any decent games on their schedule. Let them pat each other's butts for beating putrid teams!
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22hipsterdoofus21



slcagg
Posts: 5607
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1026 times
Been thanked: 865 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by slcagg » September 25th, 2020, 12:22 pm

FastAggie wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:06 pm
slcagg wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm
Money. I’m sure a BYU and Boise game has more national relevance than usu and BYU and thus a larger draw.
or cause Boise is great about whining and expecting special treatment
I will give you that for sure.



slcagg
Posts: 5607
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1026 times
Been thanked: 865 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by slcagg » September 25th, 2020, 12:23 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:10 pm
I would hate to see YBU get any decent games on their schedule. Let them pat each other's butts for beating putrid teams!
I agree. And I hope we don’t play them. Kind of nice not to imo.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 14949
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 321 times
Been thanked: 679 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by brownjeans » September 25th, 2020, 12:24 pm

That's fine, but if a team goes 7-0 and another team is 7-1 I think championship tie-breaking should favor the 7-1 team.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
USU78



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 10310
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by ViAggie » September 25th, 2020, 12:53 pm

cool let them play each other, I don't care
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
AZ4AggieNation


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 742
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 526 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 25th, 2020, 12:54 pm

brownjeans wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:24 pm
That's fine, but if a team goes 7-0 and another team is 7-1 I think championship tie-breaking should favor the 7-1 team.
No it shouldn't. It should be based on win percentage. So if Boise drops a conference game, they risk going 6-1 and not having using head to head to decide the division against a team that goes 7-1.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0



User avatar
breadysmith
Posts: 820
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 9:35 am
Location: Lindon, UT
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by breadysmith » September 25th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Also, remember that we want to revise our Boise and BYU home games and split them up. This could give us the opportunity to do that. Bump the @Provo game that is supposed to be played this year out to next year. We play Boise on the road this year and it provides us something we'd been trying to get aligned for awhile now.

I'm fine with not playing the zoobs...let them have the tater zoobs...they're meant for each other.
These users thanked the author breadysmith for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyAggiesForever


"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

JonnyCienPesos
Posts: 2378
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 6:21 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by JonnyCienPesos » September 25th, 2020, 2:22 pm

breadysmith wrote:Also, remember that we want to revise our Boise and BYU home games and split them up. This could give us the opportunity to do that. Bump the @Provo game that is supposed to be played this year out to next year. We play Boise on the road this year and it provides us something we'd been trying to get aligned for awhile now.

I'm fine with not playing the zoobs...let them have the tater zoobs...they're meant for each other.
So you want 3 of our 4 OOC games next year to be road games? With only North Dakota at home? That should do wonders for revenue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 14949
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 321 times
Been thanked: 679 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by brownjeans » September 25th, 2020, 2:33 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:54 pm
brownjeans wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:24 pm
That's fine, but if a team goes 7-0 and another team is 7-1 I think championship tie-breaking should favor the 7-1 team.
No it shouldn't. It should be based on win percentage. So if Boise drops a conference game, they risk going 6-1 and not having using head to head to decide the division against a team that goes 7-1.
Win % is dumb. If a team goes 5 - 0 (100%) should they be division champ over a team that goes 6-2 or 7-1? The 5-0 team would have a better win percentage?

7 = 7
Last edited by brownjeans on September 25th, 2020, 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 8322
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 1835 times
Been thanked: 529 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by USU78 » September 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm

brownjeans wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 2:33 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:54 pm
brownjeans wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:24 pm
That's fine, but if a team goes 7-0 and another team is 7-1 I think championship tie-breaking should favor the 7-1 team.
No it shouldn't. It should be based on win percentage. So if Boise drops a conference game, they risk going 6-1 and not having using head to head to decide the division against a team that goes 7-1.
7 = 7
7 > 6.


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

User avatar
breadysmith
Posts: 820
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 9:35 am
Location: Lindon, UT
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by breadysmith » September 25th, 2020, 2:35 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 2:22 pm
breadysmith wrote:Also, remember that we want to revise our Boise and BYU home games and split them up. This could give us the opportunity to do that. Bump the @Provo game that is supposed to be played this year out to next year. We play Boise on the road this year and it provides us something we'd been trying to get aligned for awhile now.

I'm fine with not playing the zoobs...let them have the tater zoobs...they're meant for each other.
So you want 3 of our 4 OOC games next year to be road games? With only North Dakota at home? That should do wonders for revenue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point, we'd need to sort out that which might prove to be more work than it's worth.


"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Tetonkatest
Posts: 570
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 9:17 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by Tetonkatest » September 25th, 2020, 2:39 pm

FastAggie wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 11:55 am
He mentioned in the MWC announcement Q&A. Because of the AFA and Army game one other team would have 7 conference games. I wish we'd get this game rather than the donkeys.
Yes, I watched the press conference with Thompson.

It's because Air Force already has a game with Army on November 7 so they need to find an opponent for 1 of the other conference schools on that date, or else they won't have anyone to play

My guess is that Boise asked to play byu and skip Air Force and Whoever plays byu misses Air force.



Tetonkatest
Posts: 570
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 9:17 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by Tetonkatest » September 25th, 2020, 2:40 pm

FastAggie wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:06 pm
slcagg wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm
Money. I’m sure a BYU and Boise game has more national relevance than usu and BYU and thus a larger draw.
or cause Boise is great about whining and expecting special treatment
i don't think it is special treament it is because of the air force issues. of course boise and usu were probably the top schools to play byu



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 25th, 2020, 4:19 pm

USU78 wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm
brownjeans wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 2:33 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:54 pm
brownjeans wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:24 pm
That's fine, but if a team goes 7-0 and another team is 7-1 I think championship tie-breaking should favor the 7-1 team.
No it shouldn't. It should be based on win percentage. So if Boise drops a conference game, they risk going 6-1 and not having using head to head to decide the division against a team that goes 7-1.
7 = 7
7 > 6.
13 = 13



slcagg
Posts: 5607
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1026 times
Been thanked: 865 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by slcagg » September 25th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 4:19 pm
USU78 wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm
brownjeans wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 2:33 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:54 pm
brownjeans wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:24 pm
That's fine, but if a team goes 7-0 and another team is 7-1 I think championship tie-breaking should favor the 7-1 team.
No it shouldn't. It should be based on win percentage. So if Boise drops a conference game, they risk going 6-1 and not having using head to head to decide the division against a team that goes 7-1.
7 = 7
7 > 6.
13 = 13
8k>32k
And
2+2=5

Don’t ask, sandbox discussion 😁
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiisam tingey



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 25th, 2020, 4:32 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 4:27 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 4:19 pm
USU78 wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm
brownjeans wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 2:33 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:54 pm
brownjeans wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:24 pm
That's fine, but if a team goes 7-0 and another team is 7-1 I think championship tie-breaking should favor the 7-1 team.
No it shouldn't. It should be based on win percentage. So if Boise drops a conference game, they risk going 6-1 and not having using head to head to decide the division against a team that goes 7-1.
7 = 7
7 > 6.
13 = 13
8k>32k
And
2+2=5

Don’t ask, sandbox discussion 😁
Haha, mine was just a shout out to someone who used to post here.



slcagg
Posts: 5607
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1026 times
Been thanked: 865 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by slcagg » September 25th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 4:32 pm
slcagg wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 4:27 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 4:19 pm
USU78 wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm
brownjeans wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 2:33 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:54 pm
brownjeans wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:24 pm
That's fine, but if a team goes 7-0 and another team is 7-1 I think championship tie-breaking should favor the 7-1 team.
No it shouldn't. It should be based on win percentage. So if Boise drops a conference game, they risk going 6-1 and not having using head to head to decide the division against a team that goes 7-1.
7 = 7
7 > 6.
13 = 13
8k>32k
And
2+2=5

Don’t ask, sandbox discussion 😁
Haha, mine was just a shout out to someone who used to post here.
Haha yes, he has been missed on the board!
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2831
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 589 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 25th, 2020, 10:57 pm

Fewer. Fewer games


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Ahbye
Posts: 1768
Joined: September 26th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 164 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by Ahbye » September 25th, 2020, 11:51 pm

I'm sure it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that Boise has trouble beating Air Force.



swordsman1989
Posts: 1121
Joined: December 26th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by swordsman1989 » September 26th, 2020, 1:46 pm

I would love to see Boise suffer the consequences for begging out of a conference game to play BYU. But if they go 7-0, they will be undefeated in the division. The team that Boise skips will also only play 7 conference games, so they can't go 7-1. It is possible that both Boise and that other team end up at 7-0, so you will have to figure out a tie breaker. But I don't see how it is possible for Boise to end up 7-0 and another divisional team end up at 7-1 unless they lost to Boise. You'd have a hard time arguing that a 7-1 team that lost to the head to head with Boise should go in front of an undefeated Boise.



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 8322
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 1835 times
Been thanked: 529 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by USU78 » September 26th, 2020, 2:37 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 1:46 pm
I would love to see Boise suffer the consequences for begging out of a conference game to play BYU. But if they go 7-0, they will be undefeated in the division. The team that Boise skips will also only play 7 conference games, so they can't go 7-1. It is possible that both Boise and that other team end up at 7-0, so you will have to figure out a tie breaker. But I don't see how it is possible for Boise to end up 7-0 and another divisional team end up at 7-1 unless they lost to Boise. You'd have a hard time arguing that a 7-1 team that lost to the head to head with Boise should go in front of an undefeated Boise.
Why should the stench game matter in the standings? 7 is greater than 6.


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

swordsman1989
Posts: 1121
Joined: December 26th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Thompson announces Boise may play less conference games to play BYU

Post by swordsman1989 » September 26th, 2020, 10:47 pm

USU78 wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 2:37 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 1:46 pm
I would love to see Boise suffer the consequences for begging out of a conference game to play BYU. But if they go 7-0, they will be undefeated in the division. The team that Boise skips will also only play 7 conference games, so they can't go 7-1. It is possible that both Boise and that other team end up at 7-0, so you will have to figure out a tie breaker. But I don't see how it is possible for Boise to end up 7-0 and another divisional team end up at 7-1 unless they lost to Boise. You'd have a hard time arguing that a 7-1 team that lost to the head to head with Boise should go in front of an undefeated Boise.
Why should the stench game matter in the standings? 7 is greater than 6.
Where was BYU mentioned as counting in the standings, and where did I mention 6? The MWC is going to play an eight game, conference only schedule. Boise wants out of one of those games so it can play BYU. So Boise will play only seven conference games. Since Boise is skipping a game, one other team will also have to only play seven conference games as they will miss their game against Boise. Presumably it will be Air Force since they want to play Navy (or is it Army?). So let's say Boise and Air Force only play seven conference games and both go 7-0 in the conference, regardless of what happens in their games against BYU and Navy. What would be the tie breaker between Boise and Air Force? If Boise ends up going 7-0 but Air Force drops a game or more, then Boise will have defeated every other team in the Mountain division and the best possible conference record another Mountain division team could have would be 7-1 with a loss to Boise. So how do you justify taking a 7-1 team which lost to Boise over a 7-0 Boise team? And how on earth do you come up with the BYU game counting in that scenario?



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic