One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by KissMyAg » September 14th, 2020, 1:24 pm

There is one advantage for the MWC (minus AFA) to not play this year - we can keep scholly's for next year. Another big advantage for us is we aren't in massive debt like our other MWC peers, so... we will not play catch up as much as our other friends in the MWC in years to come.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11257
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7262 times
Been thanked: 4914 times

Re: One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by aggies22 » September 14th, 2020, 1:46 pm

There is no advantage to not playing. The decision not to play and the eligibility freeze is a curse to us all.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 5):
oleblu111BLUERUFiONavyBlueAggieslcaggAgMac



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 12476
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 905 times
Been thanked: 577 times

Re: One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by ViAggie » September 14th, 2020, 2:02 pm

I think it certainly hurts more than it helps, we'll find out I guess


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2289
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 285 times

Re: One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 14th, 2020, 2:06 pm

Appears many schools quickly agreed with their conferences to cancel the 2020 football season. It also seems that some of the quick to cancel aggression is now being replaced by... where will the the football T V money come from now?



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 6076
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 352 times

Re: One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 14th, 2020, 2:20 pm

No advantage. The schools that do play still get their scholies for next year. The rule for next year will be, for both schools that do and don't play this year, 85 plus unlimited seniors. 2022 will be down to 85 including seniors.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
AgMac



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11257
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7262 times
Been thanked: 4914 times

Re: One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by aggies22 » September 14th, 2020, 3:33 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 2:20 pm
No advantage. The schools that do play still get their scholies for next year. The rule for next year will be, for both schools that do and don't play this year, 85 plus unlimited seniors. 2022 will be down to 85 including seniors.
Did you see that somewhere? I would think the numbers are messed up for at least 4 years as the freeze involves all players not just seniors. Kids that are true freshmen right now and take a redshirt at some point in their careers won't be seniors for 6 years.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 6076
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 352 times

Re: One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 14th, 2020, 3:37 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 3:33 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 2:20 pm
No advantage. The schools that do play still get their scholies for next year. The rule for next year will be, for both schools that do and don't play this year, 85 plus unlimited seniors. 2022 will be down to 85 including seniors.
Did you see that somewhere? I would think the numbers are messed up for at least 4 years as the freeze involves all players not just seniors. Kids that are true freshmen right now and take a redshirt at some point in their careers won't be seniors for 6 years.
I heard it on the radio in an interview with Kyle Whittingham.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
aggies22



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5364
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 575 times
Been thanked: 1124 times

Re: One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 14th, 2020, 4:08 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 1:46 pm
There is no advantage to not playing. The decision not to play and the eligibility freeze is a curse to us all.
Yeah I would agree it is a curse. As we get older, we forget how long a year is to a teenager. You think a potential recruit who is deciding on a school is more likely to go to a place they just spent a season watching or a place that didn't play? Not saying we can't win those recruiting battles, but it seems like a massive disadvantage.
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on September 14th, 2020, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11257
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7262 times
Been thanked: 4914 times

Re: One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by aggies22 » September 14th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 4:08 pm
aggies22 wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 1:46 pm
There is no advantage to not playing. The decision not to play and the eligibility freeze is a curse to us all.
Yeah I would agree it is a curse. As we get older, we forget how long a year is to a teenager. You think a potential recruit who is deciding where to is more likely to go to a place they just spent a season watching or a place that didn't play? Not saying we can't win those recruiting battles, but it seems like a massive disadvantage.
Massive disadvantage is putting it mildly.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5364
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 575 times
Been thanked: 1124 times

Re: One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 14th, 2020, 4:14 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 4:12 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 4:08 pm
aggies22 wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 1:46 pm
There is no advantage to not playing. The decision not to play and the eligibility freeze is a curse to us all.
Yeah I would agree it is a curse. As we get older, we forget how long a year is to a teenager. You think a potential recruit who is deciding where to is more likely to go to a place they just spent a season watching or a place that didn't play? Not saying we can't win those recruiting battles, but it seems like a massive disadvantage.
Massive disadvantage is putting it mildly.
Agreed. It is a shame they couldn't at least put something together even if it was a 4 game schedule against local teams. Just shutting it all down for a year is crazy.



Yossarian
Posts: 5125
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 958 times

Re: One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by Yossarian » September 14th, 2020, 5:04 pm

The one advantage is that USU football could rest assured that they will not contribute to the countless tens of thousands of people that are still to die in the upcoming Covid-19 flare-ups.



sneed
Posts: 868
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 2:32 am
Has thanked: 895 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by sneed » September 14th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Yossarian wrote:The one advantage is that USU football could rest assured that they will not contribute to the countless tens of thousands of people that are still to die in the upcoming Covid-19 flare-ups.
I’m guessing it will actually be the opposite. Kids don’t seem to be getting as sick as others so these athletes just lost their biggest incentive to be cautious (and wont be tested all the time so they won’t know if they have it). More kids to spread the wonderful virus!



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5364
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 575 times
Been thanked: 1124 times

Re: One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 14th, 2020, 7:00 pm

sneed wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 6:18 pm
Yossarian wrote:The one advantage is that USU football could rest assured that they will not contribute to the countless tens of thousands of people that are still to die in the upcoming Covid-19 flare-ups.
I’m guessing it will actually be the opposite. Kids don’t seem to be getting as sick as others so these athletes just lost their biggest incentive to be cautious (and wont be tested all the time so they won’t know if they have it). More kids to spread the wonderful virus!
He is joking.



blueaggie
Posts: 980
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by blueaggie » September 14th, 2020, 7:31 pm

He is not joking. He is right.



slcagg
Posts: 7257
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1715 times
Been thanked: 1311 times

Re: One Advantage of Not Playing This Year...

Post by slcagg » September 14th, 2020, 8:41 pm

blueaggie wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 7:31 pm
He is not joking. He is right.
Wait I’m lost who is joking and who is right?



Locked Previous topicNext topic