NAR - YBU is COVID U

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

NAR - YBU is COVID U

Post by ViAggie » September 12th, 2020, 9:33 pm

“Postpones” game with Army after several players test positive for C19

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

oleblu111
RIP

Re: NAR - YBU is COVID U

Post by oleblu111 » September 12th, 2020, 9:58 pm

The only school in the west to play games during the covid outbreak. Not exactly a badge of honor in my simple mind

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » September 13th, 2020, 12:15 am

oleblu111 wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 9:58 pm
The only school in the west to play games during the covid outbreak. Not exactly a badge of honor in my simple mind
Agreed. But got to appeal to the base...
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
oleblu111

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 13th, 2020, 6:33 am

oleblu111 wrote:
I will post this here again. My opinion is that teams playing are handling it exactly how they should. Play and practice (which we are practicing) and of positive tests occur then quarantine. BYU is doing it exactly like they should.

Btw did you see all of the games being played yesterday. A lot! It was great.

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 4):
3rdGenAggieMachismoSLBratofallaggies

tinplater

Post by tinplater » September 13th, 2020, 7:10 am

slcagg wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 6:33 am
oleblu111 wrote:
I will post this here again. My opinion is that teams playing are handling it exactly how they should. Play and practice (which we are practicing) and of positive tests occur then quarantine. BYU is doing it exactly like they should.

The problem becomes one of effective isolation (quarantine) of positive students. We know that the hospitalization rate and complication rate of college students is going to be very low. But keeping them from spreading the illness to the elderly and vulnerable in their lives is a totally different problem, particularly when they show no inclination to play by the rules. It is hard to imagine one spending two weeks of college confined to my dorm room, not to mention a rented apartment off campus.
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post (total 2):
oleblu111JSHarvey

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 13th, 2020, 7:30 am

tinplater wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 7:10 am
slcagg wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

The problem becomes one of effective isolation (quarantine) of positive students. We know that the hospitalization rate and complication rate of college students is going to be very low. But keeping them from spreading the illness to the elderly and vulnerable in their lives is a totally different problem, particularly when they show no inclination to play by the rules. It is hard to imagine one spending two weeks of college confined to my dorm room, not to mention a rented apartment off campus.
I understand your concern. And I think it is valid and we can discuss measures needed to protect our most vulnerable in the sandbox.

Yes the number are for college students. However let’s focus on football players though as that is what this thread is about and we are in the football thread (which they would make up the some of these numbers).

A football player who is being tested all of the time is less likely to cause community spread than someone who is not tested at all. I think it was nick Saban who said in August that a player is safer with us than at home because of the precautions needed for these schools. I’d argue that is the same for the effect on the community for one of
These young men.

So let the kids play. Btw it seems most college players when given the choice to play or not to play is...to play! I bet the parents of the football players on this board would even support their sons playing.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 13th, 2020, 8:26 am

Salt Lake Tribune has a misleading headline - it says several Cougars have tested positive for COVID-19. I didn’t think the virus spread to animals like that? 🤣
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
oleblu111aggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 13th, 2020, 8:42 am

I wonder if this had anything to do with their new marketing campaign of anytime, anyone, anywhere.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
ViAggieoleblu111aggies22

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 13th, 2020, 8:54 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 8:42 am
I wonder if this had anything to do with their new marketing campaign of anytime, anyone, anywhere.
That slogan only applies Monday - Saturday
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
oleblu111aggies22

tinplater

Post by tinplater » September 13th, 2020, 1:05 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 7:30 am
tinplater wrote:
slcagg wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

I understand your concern. And I think it is valid and we can discuss measures needed to protect our most vulnerable in the sandbox.

Yes the number are for college students. However let’s focus on football players though as that is what this thread is about and we are in the football thread (which they would make up the some of these numbers).

A football player who is being tested all of the time is less likely to cause community spread than someone who is not tested at all. I think it was nick Saban who said in August that a player is safer with us than at home because of the precautions needed for these schools. I’d argue that is the same for the effect on the community for one of
These young men.

So let the kids play. Btw it seems most college players when given the choice to play or not to play is...to play! I bet the parents of the football players on this board would even support their sons playing.
Just a couple of comments...when a player tests positive, (like BYU, Colorado State) then the entire team must be isolated for approximately two weeks and until everyone tests negative I would think. Secondly, individuals can test negative and be asymptomatic even though they have just recently become infected. All of this requires very close supervision and isolation. I don't see BYU resuming their schedule anytime soon. And what ever happened to CSU? Can't find any news after August 6 or so.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 13th, 2020, 1:22 pm

tinplater wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 1:05 pm
slcagg wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 7:30 am
tinplater wrote:
slcagg wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

These young men.

Just a couple of comments...when a player tests positive, (like BYU, Colorado State) then the entire team must be isolated for approximately two weeks and until everyone tests negative I would think. Secondly, individuals can test negative and be asymptomatic even though they have just recently become infected. All of this requires very close supervision and isolation. I don't see BYU resuming their schedule anytime soon. And what ever happened to CSU? Can't find any news after August 6 or so.

Good information. Oh and what happened to CSU? Well considering the MWC postponed FB, it was a moot issue I suppose.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » September 13th, 2020, 2:20 pm

I don’t think the entire team is isolated for two weeks. UAB had a couple guys test positive but still played Miami a couple days later.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamih ... 03970.html

tinplater

Post by tinplater » September 13th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:20 pm
I don’t think the entire team is isolated for two weeks. UAB had a couple guys test positive but still played Miami a couple days later.

You are probably correct, although USU has four dorms quarantined based upon sewage positivity, but I presume they "let go" those who test negative. Problem is there is a latent period between exposure and positivity and also a potential significant delay in getting test results. If a team has positive players, I would think frequent testing would be necessary. CSU had something like 29 players and staff testing positive. I am surprised there haven't been any update stories about that.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » September 13th, 2020, 3:03 pm

tinplater wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:59 pm
Intermeddler wrote:

You are probably correct, although USU has four dorms quarantined based upon sewage positivity, but I presume they "let go" those who test negative. Problem is there is a latent period between exposure and positivity and also a potential significant delay in getting test results. If a team has positive players, I would think frequent testing would be necessary. CSU had something like 29 players and staff testing positive. I am surprised there haven't been any update stories about that.
UAB was tested. Traveled. And tested again in Miami with no positives. That seems sufficient. They are obviously not very delayed in getting test results. They test 3 times a week in the ACC which is plenty frequent in my view.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » September 14th, 2020, 9:14 am

Intermeddler wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 3:03 pm
tinplater wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:59 pm
Intermeddler wrote:

UAB was tested. Traveled. And tested again in Miami with no positives. That seems sufficient. They are obviously not very delayed in getting test results. They test 3 times a week in the ACC which is plenty frequent in my view.
i thought there was a team that the whole TE group was quarantined and they played using interior lineman as TE. not sure who it was or how the game went.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » September 14th, 2020, 6:25 pm

ViAggie wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 8:54 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
That slogan only applies Monday - Saturday
Not true I knew several girls from byu that practiced this slogan to perfection back in late 90's early 00 's

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » September 14th, 2020, 6:58 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
I think their new marketing campaign might be slightly exaggerated, especially the piece about "anyone". I only say that because one of my roommates dated a girl from BYU and he said that when she found out he drank alcohol she took offense, pulled up her panties, and went home. That was in the late 90s so things may have changed. :noidea:

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » September 14th, 2020, 8:10 pm

I find it interesting that BYU has significantly more cases among its student body than does UVU.

BYU 258 total cases among students, faculty and staff for its current term.

UVU - 138

USU - 89

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 14th, 2020, 8:39 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 8:10 pm
I find it interesting that BYU has significantly more cases among its student body than does UVU.

BYU 258 total cases among students, faculty and staff for its current term.

UVU - 138

USU - 89
That’s because BYU is playing football and we aren’t.

MilesDavis

Post by MilesDavis » September 15th, 2020, 1:34 pm

Stats published this morning by USU.

Locked Previous topicNext topic