Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg
Posts: 5579
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1009 times
Been thanked: 859 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by slcagg » August 17th, 2020, 9:17 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 7:42 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 6:49 pm
2004AG wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 1:09 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:54 am
ChowderAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:27 am
rAggie wrote:Really easy to ask a bunch of kids to put their long term health on the line when you don't have any skin in the game.
You’re not looking at the scientific data if you think it poses a significant health risk to young healthy college students. You’re fear mongering.

But yeah, don’t want to play ? Don’t play.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The CDC director just warned of a potential worst fall in history. He is looking at the scientific data.
That is completely false. The data does not back that up whatsoever.

Look up the mortality rate of healthy 18-22 year olds and get back to me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m impressed you know more than the director of the CDC.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5 ... llow-covid
Still waiting for the mortality rate of 18-22 year olds.

Besides, what are you even talking about? What does telling people we are gonna have a bad fall if people don’t wear masks have to do with whether or not there should be a football season because of the risks college football players face? That has nothing to do with anything.

People love data and science up until it contradicts their opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you were the one that brought up mortality rates, as I made no mention of them in my post.

I take warnings from the CDC very seriously. UNC thought they could move forward with traditional classes. This lasted a few days and they are now online. My guess is USU will be all online by Thanksgiving as well.

I believe the potential of the worst health crisis in history this fall has implications for many aspects of life, including college football. I’m grateful those in charge of USU and the MW recognize this as well and are taking precautions now. They obviously see the connection that you don’t.
I take Covid very seriously, but I do want more clarification on why every major sport other than college football is able to continue, but college football has to be cancelled. Even high school football is starting up again in most places. There should definitely be strong precautions and strong regulations in place, but it doesn't mean college sports should be cancelled for the year.
Listened to a interview on 1280 with gary when he said something along the lines it’s nice to have a plan now. Gives the leaders five months or something like that to make sure we are prepared. Could be misquoting a bit but that is how I interpreted it.



bwcrc
Posts: 190
Joined: November 7th, 2013, 12:24 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by bwcrc » August 17th, 2020, 9:51 pm

One thought I had about G5 conferences cancelling is whether it is financially less harmful to schools to cancel the season versus playing but without fans. Game-day expenses for travel, both home and away games, as well as officials, standby medical personnel, lights, field maintenance, etc. are easily tens of thousands of dollars each week, and possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars each week. I would not be surprised if most G5 schools would end up further in the hole financially without revenue from fans attending games or a limited number of fans at games and the TV money alone would not be sufficient to cover all the costs. The TV money is so much greater for the P5 conferences that it could still be financially worth it to them to play without fans or with a limited number of fans.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
Madmartigan



swordsman1989
Posts: 1121
Joined: December 26th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by swordsman1989 » August 18th, 2020, 12:17 am

2004AG wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:54 am
ChowderAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:27 am
rAggie wrote:Really easy to ask a bunch of kids to put their long term health on the line when you don't have any skin in the game.
You’re not looking at the scientific data if you think it poses a significant health risk to young healthy college students. You’re fear mongering.

But yeah, don’t want to play ? Don’t play.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The CDC director just warned of a potential worst fall in history. He is looking at the scientific data.
That is completely false. The data does not back that up whatsoever.

Look up the mortality rate of healthy 18-22 year olds and get back to me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If those 18-22 year olds lived in a bubble, where they never went anywhere, or interacted with anyone else, you'd have a point.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
ChowderAggie



Intermeddler
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 240 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by Intermeddler » August 18th, 2020, 12:21 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 12:17 am
2004AG wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:54 am
ChowderAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:27 am
rAggie wrote:Really easy to ask a bunch of kids to put their long term health on the line when you don't have any skin in the game.
You’re not looking at the scientific data if you think it poses a significant health risk to young healthy college students. You’re fear mongering.

But yeah, don’t want to play ? Don’t play.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The CDC director just warned of a potential worst fall in history. He is looking at the scientific data.
That is completely false. The data does not back that up whatsoever.

Look up the mortality rate of healthy 18-22 year olds and get back to me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If those 18-22 year olds lived in a bubble, where they never went anywhere, or interacted with anyone else, you'd have a point.
And if they don’t play football are they not going to go anywhere or interact with anyone? Their contacts are probably more controlled in the football structure than not.



swordsman1989
Posts: 1121
Joined: December 26th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by swordsman1989 » August 18th, 2020, 12:26 am

Intermeddler wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 12:21 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 12:17 am
2004AG wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:54 am
ChowderAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:27 am
rAggie wrote:Really easy to ask a bunch of kids to put their long term health on the line when you don't have any skin in the game.
You’re not looking at the scientific data if you think it poses a significant health risk to young healthy college students. You’re fear mongering.

But yeah, don’t want to play ? Don’t play.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The CDC director just warned of a potential worst fall in history. He is looking at the scientific data.
That is completely false. The data does not back that up whatsoever.

Look up the mortality rate of healthy 18-22 year olds and get back to me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If those 18-22 year olds lived in a bubble, where they never went anywhere, or interacted with anyone else, you'd have a point.
And if they don’t play football are they not going to go anywhere or interact with anyone? Their contacts are probably more controlled in the football structure than not.
Controlled does not equal safe or proper.



Intermeddler
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 240 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by Intermeddler » August 18th, 2020, 12:47 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 12:26 am
Intermeddler wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 12:21 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 12:17 am
2004AG wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:54 am
ChowderAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:27 am
rAggie wrote:Really easy to ask a bunch of kids to put their long term health on the line when you don't have any skin in the game.
You’re not looking at the scientific data if you think it poses a significant health risk to young healthy college students. You’re fear mongering.

But yeah, don’t want to play ? Don’t play.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The CDC director just warned of a potential worst fall in history. He is looking at the scientific data.
That is completely false. The data does not back that up whatsoever.

Look up the mortality rate of healthy 18-22 year olds and get back to me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If those 18-22 year olds lived in a bubble, where they never went anywhere, or interacted with anyone else, you'd have a point.
And if they don’t play football are they not going to go anywhere or interact with anyone? Their contacts are probably more controlled in the football structure than not.
Controlled does not equal safe or proper.
But there is no safe. There’s simply degrees of unsafe and if your concern is their interactions with others then you should favor a solution that minimizes unknown contacts or contacts with high risk individuals that cannot be avoided. Not playing football does not conclusively favor the latter.



Aggie84025
Posts: 2401
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by Aggie84025 » August 18th, 2020, 7:45 am

One thing I think we can all agree on is that if we don't have spring football it is going to be a long year on this board between now and the start of next season. Heaven help us all.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
AggiePTJSHarvey



AggiePT
Posts: 114
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by AggiePT » August 18th, 2020, 8:37 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 7:45 am
One thing I think we can all agree on is that if we don't have spring football it is going to be a long year on this board between now and the start of next season. Heaven help us all.
This^^^^



BRuss804
Posts: 55
Joined: November 12th, 2010, 11:46 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by BRuss804 » August 18th, 2020, 9:02 am

bwcrc wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:51 pm
One thought I had about G5 conferences cancelling is whether it is financially less harmful to schools to cancel the season versus playing but without fans. Game-day expenses for travel, both home and away games, as well as officials, standby medical personnel, lights, field maintenance, etc. are easily tens of thousands of dollars each week, and possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars each week. I would not be surprised if most G5 schools would end up further in the hole financially without revenue from fans attending games or a limited number of fans at games and the TV money alone would not be sufficient to cover all the costs. The TV money is so much greater for the P5 conferences that it could still be financially worth it to them to play without fans or with a limited number of fans.
I think this might be the most underappreciated factor in the whole debate. I saw somewhere that this was the real reason the MAC cancelled their season. They thought they would lose more money by playing without (or with limited) fans than not playing at all. I think the economics played a much bigger role than people realize because they're so focused on health concerns.
These users thanked the author BRuss804 for the post:
Madmartigan



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 18th, 2020, 9:09 am

BRuss804 wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 9:02 am
bwcrc wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:51 pm
One thought I had about G5 conferences cancelling is whether it is financially less harmful to schools to cancel the season versus playing but without fans. Game-day expenses for travel, both home and away games, as well as officials, standby medical personnel, lights, field maintenance, etc. are easily tens of thousands of dollars each week, and possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars each week. I would not be surprised if most G5 schools would end up further in the hole financially without revenue from fans attending games or a limited number of fans at games and the TV money alone would not be sufficient to cover all the costs. The TV money is so much greater for the P5 conferences that it could still be financially worth it to them to play without fans or with a limited number of fans.
I think this might be the most underappreciated factor in the whole debate. I saw somewhere that this was the real reason the MAC cancelled their season. They thought they would lose more money by playing without (or with limited) fans than not playing at all. I think the economics played a much bigger role than people realize because they're so focused on health concerns.
Oh I think that is absolutely true for mid majors. I do think a regional schedule could be doable.



Madmartigan
Posts: 2820
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 173 times
Been thanked: 266 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by Madmartigan » August 18th, 2020, 9:22 am

Intermeddler wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 12:47 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 12:26 am
Intermeddler wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 12:21 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 12:17 am
2004AG wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:54 am
ChowderAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:27 am
rAggie wrote:Really easy to ask a bunch of kids to put their long term health on the line when you don't have any skin in the game.
You’re not looking at the scientific data if you think it poses a significant health risk to young healthy college students. You’re fear mongering.

But yeah, don’t want to play ? Don’t play.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The CDC director just warned of a potential worst fall in history. He is looking at the scientific data.
That is completely false. The data does not back that up whatsoever.

Look up the mortality rate of healthy 18-22 year olds and get back to me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If those 18-22 year olds lived in a bubble, where they never went anywhere, or interacted with anyone else, you'd have a point.
And if they don’t play football are they not going to go anywhere or interact with anyone? Their contacts are probably more controlled in the football structure than not.
Controlled does not equal safe or proper.
But there is no safe. There’s simply degrees of unsafe and if your concern is their interactions with others then you should favor a solution that minimizes unknown contacts or contacts with high risk individuals that cannot be avoided. Not playing football does not conclusively favor the latter.
Speaking as someone who thought COVID-19 was the next ebola when we first heard about it: I think we have mostly overreacted to the relative risk level to the general population. We have definitely overreacted to the risk to people under 40. A combination of this thing being novel and the current world climate/cancel culture has really exacerbated this thing. I keep thinking how we would've handled this even 10 years ago. I think college football would still be on with sensible precautions and probably greatly reduced/empty venues.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
IntermeddlerOKAggie



User avatar
MrBiggle
Posts: 1353
Joined: October 10th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 308 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by MrBiggle » August 18th, 2020, 11:05 am

rAggie wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:09 am
Really easy to ask a bunch of kids to put their long term health on the line when you don't have any skin in the game.
The hypocrisy in this statement :bangwall:
Not trying to pick on you directly here but... if anyone thinks That they don’t already do this, by supporting any type of contact sport, is simply delusional. There are much worse life long affects from concussions (both obvious and not obvious TBIs) than what covid presents.
These users thanked the author MrBiggle for the post:
Slim80


Where only sage brush grows

slcagg
Posts: 5579
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1009 times
Been thanked: 859 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by slcagg » August 18th, 2020, 5:09 pm

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
ratofallaggiesChowderAggie



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 6893
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 394 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by 2004AG » August 18th, 2020, 5:27 pm

Get out of here with that science and data. Its doom and gloom around here.



slcagg
Posts: 5579
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1009 times
Been thanked: 859 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by slcagg » August 18th, 2020, 5:28 pm

2004AG wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 5:27 pm
Get out of here with that science and data. Its doom and gloom around here.
Canceled way too early.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
AZ4AggieNation



coolag
Posts: 1307
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by coolag » August 18th, 2020, 7:14 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 11:05 am
rAggie wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 9:09 am
Really easy to ask a bunch of kids to put their long term health on the line when you don't have any skin in the game.
The hypocrisy in this statement :bangwall:
Not trying to pick on you directly here but... if anyone thinks That they don’t already do this, by supporting any type of contact sport, is simply delusional. There are much worse life long affects from concussions (both obvious and not obvious TBIs) than what covid presents.
Choo choo Aggie is woke. Don't be hatin.



ChowderAggie
Posts: 885
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by ChowderAggie » August 18th, 2020, 8:05 pm

Notre dame made it 8 days before moving everything online...,kinda like UNC did recently.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/8- ... s-n1237195



Aggie84025
Posts: 2401
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by Aggie84025 » August 18th, 2020, 9:00 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 8:05 pm
Notre dame made it 8 days before moving everything online...,kinda like UNC did recently.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/8- ... s-n1237195
Be interesting to see how it all plays out



ChowderAggie
Posts: 885
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by ChowderAggie » August 19th, 2020, 11:22 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 9:00 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 8:05 pm
Notre dame made it 8 days before moving everything online...,kinda like UNC did recently.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/8- ... s-n1237195
Be interesting to see how it all plays out
Research by our IMC doctors find link between COVID and heart disease.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50008006/in ... rt-disease



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2197
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 19th, 2020, 12:22 pm

Ok, given one study how deep and verifiable would the conclusions be? Seems to be a rather small sample size, and like the early Covid 19 projected mortality models, much has changed since the initial assertions.



AZ4AggieNation
Posts: 44
Joined: June 9th, 2020, 3:43 pm
Has thanked: 305 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by AZ4AggieNation » August 19th, 2020, 6:13 pm

I didn't want to chime-in too early because I was so angered at the politics which go into so many decisions....everywhere right now! I've always loved sports because of the "pure meritocracy" it promotes, so remiss in today's society, etc.

I was so dang mad with the pre-mature MW decision but I now get the "liability fiscally" based decision the powers-that-be made; but it does not mean I agree with and don't tell me its a myopic-focus purely based on the players safety!!

My kid told me they were making things work everyday; distancing, temp checks, C-19 testing, lifting, running, walk-thru's, meetings, film-time, etc. etc. (He is now home now until the 30th and with friends and people, etc. none of whom were in a semi-safe bubble like he was up at USU since 5/30...with safeguards in place each day!) So tell me what environment was safer for this players!

Broc has a best friend playing right now at FSU and a few more buddies also on teams whom are doing full-padded scrimmages; so that sucks to see and hear about but he's happy for them! He is really bummed it did not happen and wanted badly a chance to compete to play; even as a true freshmen but he knows he can now take the time to work on school-work this first fall, make gains in the weight room, learn the new OC's playbook (mucho varied-stuff for TE's it seems), get to know his new brothers better, and get even bigger. He just turned 18.

He has a positive outlook moving forward (can only control you and your approach, attitude, efforts) but he said he feels the worst for the 'seniors'; he likes so many of them he's met so far and hopes they make things right for them all.....to be able to play again at USU...

Not much of a 'rant' but just a parent/fan of these USU football warriors with his thoughts...I truly believe things will work out for the best and 2021 will bring back positive changes and some common-sense sanity to sports in particular!
These users thanked the author AZ4AggieNation for the post (total 7):
AggiePTaggies22BearLakeMonsterAggie formerly in HawaiiIntermeddlerAggie19Machismo



Intermeddler
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 240 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: Outrage, or at least displeasure with Cancelled MWC Sports

Post by Intermeddler » August 19th, 2020, 8:56 pm

AZ4AggieNation wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 6:13 pm
I didn't want to chime-in too early because I was so angered at the politics which go into so many decisions....everywhere right now! I've always loved sports because of the "pure meritocracy" it promotes, so remiss in today's society, etc.

I was so dang mad with the pre-mature MW decision but I now get the "liability fiscally" based decision the powers-that-be made; but it does not mean I agree with and don't tell me its a myopic-focus purely based on the players safety!!

My kid told me they were making things work everyday; distancing, temp checks, C-19 testing, lifting, running, walk-thru's, meetings, film-time, etc. etc. (He is now home now until the 30th and with friends and people, etc. none of whom were in a semi-safe bubble like he was up at USU since 5/30...with safeguards in place each day!) So tell me what environment was safer for this players!

Broc has a best friend playing right now at FSU and a few more buddies also on teams whom are doing full-padded scrimmages; so that sucks to see and hear about but he's happy for them! He is really bummed it did not happen and wanted badly a chance to compete to play; even as a true freshmen but he knows he can now take the time to work on school-work this first fall, make gains in the weight room, learn the new OC's playbook (mucho varied-stuff for TE's it seems), get to know his new brothers better, and get even bigger. He just turned 18.

He has a positive outlook moving forward (can only control you and your approach, attitude, efforts) but he said he feels the worst for the 'seniors'; he likes so many of them he's met so far and hopes they make things right for them all.....to be able to play again at USU...

Not much of a 'rant' but just a parent/fan of these USU football warriors with his thoughts...I truly believe things will work out for the best and 2021 will bring back positive changes and some common-sense sanity to sports in particular!
Thanks for this. The safest place for the players is with the team in a football environment you described and it’s no less safe for other constituencies on campus. Glad he has a positive outlook.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
AZ4AggieNation



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic