Who has taken voluntary pay cuts within our Athletic Department?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Sl7vk

Who has taken voluntary pay cuts within our Athletic Department?

Post by Sl7vk » August 15th, 2020, 8:51 am

I’ve been thinking about this a lot, but I’m now not willing to donate my ticket money until everyone within the AD (or at least the high paid employees) take a substantial voluntary or involuntary pay cut.

Shared sacrifice.

Has this happened at USU?

stang

Re: Who has taken voluntary pay cuts within our Athletic Department?

Post by stang » August 15th, 2020, 10:49 am

I’m not sure about voluntary pay cuts, but I know that nearly every employee within the AD has either had their pay and hours significantly scaled back or been furloughed until sports come back. It hasn’t taken long for this to hit hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolag

Post by coolag » August 15th, 2020, 10:56 am

Unpaid leave. That is all.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Regulator of Class

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 15th, 2020, 11:35 am

Sl7vk wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 8:51 am
I’ve been thinking about this a lot, but I’m now not willing to donate my ticket money until everyone within the AD (or at least the high paid employees) take a substantial voluntary or involuntary pay cut.

Shared sacrifice.

Has this happened at USU?
Consider that we may lose good people with a major budget cut and/or a series of furloughs. I can see highly paid employees taking a reduction in salary,,,, Head Coaches, A D and SCHOOL PRESIDENT, plus others making well into the mid and upper six figures.

I remain unconvinced the cancellation of the MWC Football Season was a solid financial decision. Other Conferences have chosen to carry on, and in Utah even the prep schools are back playing.

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » August 15th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Edit-stupid links won't work. Nevada looking at 10 million dollar deficit. Just laid off 20 athletic dept staffers :shock:

Read this article. Its coming for us as well.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » August 15th, 2020, 4:56 pm

coolag wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 10:56 am
Unpaid leave. That is all.
heart

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » August 15th, 2020, 8:44 pm

stang wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 10:49 am
I’m not sure about voluntary pay cuts, but I know that nearly every employee within the AD has either had their pay and hours significantly scaled back or been furloughed until sports come back. It hasn’t taken long for this to hit hard.

And how about everyone making 6 figures plus?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 15th, 2020, 9:47 pm

I am not sure the coaches would make this public even if they were. I have a feeling they are doing it. The company i work for has done fantastic through covid-19, granted we developed a covid test so we are super busy. I know a lot of people are struggling right now so i wont fault someone for wanting a refund.

I am donating mine and will give some extra this fall as well. John H. does a great job managing our budget, but things are going to be real bad and it is just starting.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » August 16th, 2020, 1:18 pm

The logistics of folks asking to have their pay cut would be an HR, Legal, and Payroll pain in the butt. I imagine the AD in partnership with university HR and overall leadership are in the process of reviewing some of that stuff. I'm not going to say what the right or wrong move is, but I don't think the logistics of saying "pay me less" are as easy/cut and dry as one might wish. They're "at-will", but on contract, so that would likely require a new temporary contract written up for however many folks will have voluntarily requested the cut.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » August 17th, 2020, 4:18 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 1:18 pm
The logistics of folks asking to have their pay cut would be an HR, Legal, and Payroll pain in the butt. I imagine the AD in partnership with university HR and overall leadership are in the process of reviewing some of that stuff. I'm not going to say what the right or wrong move is, but I don't think the logistics of saying "pay me less" are as easy/cut and dry as one might wish. They're "at-will", but on contract, so that would likely require a new temporary contract written up for however many folks will have voluntarily requested the cut.
Well we have a lot of smart, capable and driven people that could figure out the HR side of things I would assume....

Anyway, I just punted my tickets to spring, because Ryan sounded so depressed on his VM to me explaining my options, that it would have been cruel to cancel. I feel as bad as anyone for these guys....
I just think Hartwell, Anderson and other high earners are going to need to fall on their sword here.

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » August 17th, 2020, 5:35 pm

I’d love to know out of the people who are asking for AD voluntary salary cuts... how many of you have taken salary cuts yourself?

blueblood

Post by blueblood » August 17th, 2020, 7:14 pm

KissMyAg wrote:I’d love to know out of the people who are asking for AD voluntary salary cuts... how many of you have taken salary cuts yourself?
There is a big difference. I am not asking my customers to whom I normally provide a service, now to just change what they normally spend with my business to a donation and not receive the service.

I will be transferring my tickets to spring, if we actually have a spring season.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » August 17th, 2020, 9:14 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 5:35 pm
I’d love to know out of the people who are asking for AD voluntary salary cuts... how many of you have taken salary cuts yourself?
I took a 16 week 20% salary cut to help stabilize our business.

Our revenue cycle was not nearly as affected as the Utah State athletic department has been.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » August 18th, 2020, 8:00 am

dhilk3785 wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 1:18 pm
in my industry, we've had downcycles multiple times which have required a broad range of salary reductions. It's not real hard.

We've done straight reductions, temporary reductions, intermittent furloughs, and even once did a 6-week (2 payroll) temp reduction which then was paid back some months later - all were management only, none hit the manufacturing employees, although sometimes reduction in manufacturing force came around the same time.

The intermittent furloughs were 20% reduction, but we also went to 4-day work week, and qualified for state unemployment for the one day each week. If memory serves, that lasted about 8 months, and I got about 20-25% of my typical daily salary from unemployment - and the company ended up with a huge increase in SUTA tax for a few years.
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post:
Sl7vk

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » August 18th, 2020, 9:10 am

I haven't received a phone call yet about my season tickets

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » August 18th, 2020, 10:00 am

Agzrule wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 9:10 am
If I had to guess, they are calling by total revenue at stake.
My two tickets amounted to 600 or so bucks and I got a call yesterday.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 18th, 2020, 10:51 am

Sl7vk wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 10:00 am
Agzrule wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 9:10 am
If I had to guess, they are calling by total revenue at stake.
My two tickets amounted to 600 or so bucks and I got a call yesterday.
I would've started at the bottom. Give yourself some time to sharpen up the pitch before getting to people that matter ;)
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 3):
ChowderAggieSl7vkthegreendalegelf

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » August 18th, 2020, 11:13 pm

Still no phone call but I did get an email, after reading it and feeling the despair I have decided to put that money towards the 2021 season. Dam I hate you corona you got down sat on a bench!!!!

Locked Previous topicNext topic