Are players from postponed teams maintaining their eligibility?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bigandblue
Has thanked: 0

Are players from postponed teams maintaining their eligibility?

Post by bigandblue » August 14th, 2020, 7:26 am

Sorry if this has already been discussed. The NCAA should really come forward and make this season a bonus redshirt season for everyone. It would be the best thing to do from a public relations standpoint.

thegreendalegelf

Re: Are players from postponed teams maintaining their eligibility?

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 14th, 2020, 7:31 am

NCAA has made a statement. They are giving eligibility to anyone who plays less than half the season or chooses to opt out.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 14th, 2020, 7:54 am

Poor high school class of 2021...
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
thegreendalegelf

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 14th, 2020, 7:58 am

The financial burden for the schools will be terrible. It will also be bad for the players if a bunch of them Tuesday then you bring on a new class there's only so much playing time available so that just means a lot more people riding the bench. I wouldn't be surprised if the number that want to stay around is possibly may be small but who knows.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 14th, 2020, 8:21 am

To reduce confusion, I think they should just state that the players from schools who chose NOT to play will have the same eligibility in 2021 that they had in 2020. True freshmen in 2020 are true freshmen in 2021 etc. If your school PLAYS and you participate, you use a year of eligibility.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 14th, 2020, 8:23 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 7:54 am
Our kids are getting robbed by this, it’s terrible
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22hipsterdoofus21AggieFBObsession

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 14th, 2020, 10:13 am

I wonder if they'll make any adjustments to the number of scholarships available, given the potential of what this might do to high school class recruits.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 14th, 2020, 10:25 am

newhouse9 wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 10:13 am
I wonder if they'll make any adjustments to the number of scholarships available, given the potential of what this might do to high school class recruits.
I wonder if some kind of bailout money would be available for schools that were not able to raise the funds to cover additional scholarships for a year? Honestly, if a kid has already graduated but still has one year of eligibility left, is it even worth attending school this semester? Is it more beneficial to take the semester off and come back in January for spring ball and prepare for the 2021 season? Schools could save scholarship money asking kids to take that route. Why keep working toward a degree when your eligibility has been frozen?

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 14th, 2020, 10:37 am

I've been wondering that as well...I don't know that university funding has hit the federal radar yet. Not that that means they would get anything done on the issue!

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » August 14th, 2020, 12:56 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 10:25 am
newhouse9 wrote:
I wonder if some kind of bailout money would be available for schools that were not able to raise the funds to cover additional scholarships for a year? Honestly, if a kid has already graduated but still has one year of eligibility left, is it even worth attending school this semester? Is it more beneficial to take the semester off and come back in January for spring ball and prepare for the 2021 season? Schools could save scholarship money asking kids to take that route. Why keep working toward a degree when your eligibility has been frozen?
Wisconsin told seniors in spring sports that they would not be bringing them back even if they were eligible to return due to financial reasons. I imagine very few programs will be able to bring back the 2020 Spring sport athletes and the 2020 Fall athletes, plus the incoming athletes and if conferences are already saying no sports until 2021, it is not out of the question that winter sports may be impacted.

On the radio yesterday GA said that a couple of seniors on the team have already told him they are moving on and will not play even if a Spring season happens and obviously would not return next year. Not sure who he was referring to. Even with some attrition like that, you may have to raise the 85 limit to 100.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 14th, 2020, 1:52 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 12:56 pm
aggies22 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
Wisconsin told seniors in spring sports that they would not be bringing them back even if they were eligible to return due to financial reasons. I imagine very few programs will be able to bring back the 2020 Spring sport athletes and the 2020 Fall athletes, plus the incoming athletes and if conferences are already saying no sports until 2021, it is not out of the question that winter sports may be impacted.

On the radio yesterday GA said that a couple of seniors on the team have already told him they are moving on and will not play even if a Spring season happens and obviously would not return next year. Not sure who he was referring to. Even with some attrition like that, you may have to raise the 85 limit to 100.
I hate seeing kids cheated and out of the hard work they've put in and the chance to finish their collegiate or high school careers.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
mcaggie1

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 14th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:

I can not see where the money would come from to increase the limit from 85 to 100. The University can not and should spend even more university funds to support football. There are real tough times ahead.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 14th, 2020, 2:53 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 2:45 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:

I can not see where the money would come from to increase the limit from 85 to 100. The University can not and should spend even more university funds to support football. There are real tough times ahead.
Although I would LIKE to see it happen. And even though you scolded me for saying the same thing a week or so ago, I think you are probably correct my Aggie brother.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 14th, 2020, 3:38 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 2:53 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:

Although I would LIKE to see it happen. And even though you scolded me for saying the same thing a week or so ago, I think you are probably correct my Aggie brother.
I f I scolded you I apologize. I'm kind of a matter of fact type of person need to work on that. Anyway I think the school will not be putting the money into the budget they have in the recent past. I believe they are facing some very tough times in the entire University.
I want this program to succeed so I will donate this seasons football ticket purchase along with my donation, and will send A extra donation in shortly. I was taught that "Talk is cheap but it takes money if you want good whiskey " I want good whiskey for my adopted school.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 14th, 2020, 3:44 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 3:38 pm
aggies22 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:

I f I scolded you I apologize. I'm kind of a matter of fact type of person need to work on that. Anyway I think the school will not be putting the money into the budget they have in the recent past. I believe they are facing some very tough times in the entire University.
I want this program to succeed so I will donate this seasons football ticket purchase along with my donation, and will send A extra donation in shortly. I was taught that "Talk is cheap but it takes money if you want good whiskey " I want good whiskey for my adopted school.
I think we are all looking for some form of "good whiskey" at this point my Aggie brother!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » August 15th, 2020, 4:58 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 3:44 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:

I think we are all looking for some form of "good whiskey" at this point my Aggie brother!
Drinking it as we speak. :disappointed:
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
aggies22

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 15th, 2020, 5:10 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 4:58 pm
aggies22 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:

Which brand are you enjoying ?

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 15th, 2020, 5:42 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 5:10 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:

I like Jameson.
These users thanked the author Machismo for the post:
aggies22

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 15th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Machismo wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 5:42 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:

I like Jameson.
Good choice
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
aggies22

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » August 15th, 2020, 6:38 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Machismo wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:

I like Jameson.
Good choice

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » August 15th, 2020, 6:59 pm

Machismo wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:

I like Jameson.
Tullamore D.E.W., rum cask finish is my go to. Won't turn down a Jameson though or maybe that's the Tully talking. 😁
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 3):
Machismoaggies22FloridaAggie13

Go Aggies!

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 16th, 2020, 2:03 pm

In the heavy equipment world I'm from it's been said THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS EASY DIGGING OR BAD WHISKEY.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie19aggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 16th, 2020, 6:31 pm

Poor everyone in the world that has been impacted and will be for years to come. High school kids not playing sports ball games is of minimal importance in the grand scheme of things.

Eutaw St. Aggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 17th, 2020, 7:41 am

Yossarian wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 6:31 pm
Poor everyone in the world that has been impacted and will be for years to come. High school kids not playing sports ball games is of minimal importance in the grand scheme of things.
My point was more along the lines that there will be far fewer scholarships available to them if tons of athletes are getting an extra year of eligibility.

Locked Previous topicNext topic