Food For Thought

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9981
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5510 times
Been thanked: 3284 times
Contact:

Food For Thought

Post by aggies22 » August 12th, 2020, 9:38 am

Air Force, Army, and Navy, our nation's MILITARY schools are publicly stating that their football seasons are a FULL go. Of all the teams in the country, shouldn't they be privy to the best information available? What does this tell you?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
slcaggNavyBlueAggie



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 10310
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by ViAggie » August 12th, 2020, 9:41 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:38 am
Air Force, Army, and Navy, our nation's MILITARY schools are publicly stating that their football seasons are a FULL go. Of all the teams in the country, shouldn't they be privy to the best information available? What does this tell you?
That the Armed Forces are willing to spend money to constantly test their players and enforce strict Covid related rules?

Also, cadets are less likely to go out in public during the season, and inadvertently catch Covid while drinking at some bar or a night club (if any are open near those institutions). :noidea:

I keep asking, why can't we, and anyone else in the conference who wants to play, go it alone? :headscratch:


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 742
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 524 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 12th, 2020, 9:45 am

ViAggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:41 am
aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:38 am
Air Force, Army, and Navy, our nation's MILITARY schools are publicly stating that their football seasons are a FULL go. Of all the teams in the country, shouldn't they be privy to the best information available? What does this tell you?
That the Armed Forces are willing to spend money to constantly test their players and enforce strict Covid related rules?

Also, cadets are less likely to go out in public during the season, and inadvertently catch Covid while drinking at some bar or a night club (if any are open near those institutions). :noidea:

I keep asking, why can't we, and anyone else in the conference who wants to play, go it alone? :headscratch:
For why we can't go it alone - The big 10 said today that if Nebraska goes it alone, they will kick them out of the conference. So we would have to risk the MW kicking us out.

For the military schools, they can and essentially are living in bubbles. They can continue that and make it stricter if needed. any other school can't. Its a problem of "amateur" athletics.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
JSHarvey



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2198
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 12th, 2020, 10:01 am

Consider that the academies have information that clarifies the reality of this virus. I often wonder if this outbreak would have occurred in a non election year what the general responses would have been.

On another note, we loyal board posters have little idea what the real world financial, league, future league affiliations and other unintended consequences from cancelling the MWC football season may be.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22MrBiggle3rdGenAggie



User avatar
Aggie in Boise
Posts: 679
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by Aggie in Boise » August 12th, 2020, 10:08 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:38 am
Air Force, Army, and Navy, our nation's MILITARY schools are publicly stating that their football seasons are a FULL go. Of all the teams in the country, shouldn't they be privy to the best information available? What does this tell you?
It tells me that they will be playing basketball too!


"The media is not your friend.” CNN anchor Chris Cuomo

"We choose truth over facts." Joe Biden

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9981
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5510 times
Been thanked: 3284 times
Contact:

Re: Food For Thought

Post by aggies22 » August 12th, 2020, 10:55 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:45 am
ViAggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:41 am
aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:38 am
Air Force, Army, and Navy, our nation's MILITARY schools are publicly stating that their football seasons are a FULL go. Of all the teams in the country, shouldn't they be privy to the best information available? What does this tell you?
That the Armed Forces are willing to spend money to constantly test their players and enforce strict Covid related rules?

Also, cadets are less likely to go out in public during the season, and inadvertently catch Covid while drinking at some bar or a night club (if any are open near those institutions). :noidea:

I keep asking, why can't we, and anyone else in the conference who wants to play, go it alone? :headscratch:
For why we can't go it alone - The big 10 said today that if Nebraska goes it alone, they will kick them out of the conference. So we would have to risk the MW kicking us out.

For the military schools, they can and essentially are living in bubbles. They can continue that and make it stricter if needed. any other school can't. Its a problem of "amateur" athletics.
I know that we can't afford independence but if I were Nebraska, I would call their bluff. If they do, it's one step closer to the BIG-12 actually being the BIG-12 again.



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 10310
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by ViAggie » August 12th, 2020, 11:14 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 10:55 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:45 am
ViAggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:41 am
aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:38 am
Air Force, Army, and Navy, our nation's MILITARY schools are publicly stating that their football seasons are a FULL go. Of all the teams in the country, shouldn't they be privy to the best information available? What does this tell you?
That the Armed Forces are willing to spend money to constantly test their players and enforce strict Covid related rules?

Also, cadets are less likely to go out in public during the season, and inadvertently catch Covid while drinking at some bar or a night club (if any are open near those institutions). :noidea:

I keep asking, why can't we, and anyone else in the conference who wants to play, go it alone? :headscratch:
For why we can't go it alone - The big 10 said today that if Nebraska goes it alone, they will kick them out of the conference. So we would have to risk the MW kicking us out.

For the military schools, they can and essentially are living in bubbles. They can continue that and make it stricter if needed. any other school can't. Its a problem of "amateur" athletics.
I know that we can't afford independence but if I were Nebraska, I would call their bluff. If they do, it's one step closer to the BIG-12 actually being the BIG-12 again.

I don't understand why the Big 10 -2 would even care if certain members wanted to play? Makes no sense (other than I guess they could argue unfair recruiting, etc).


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

bullshot
Posts: 841
Joined: December 2nd, 2010, 3:22 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by bullshot » August 12th, 2020, 11:17 am

Nebraska seems more Big 12 anyway. They have option(s), the Aggies, not so much.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9981
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5510 times
Been thanked: 3284 times
Contact:

Re: Food For Thought

Post by aggies22 » August 12th, 2020, 11:23 am

Here's more. Mr. Hartwell told Dave Fox last night that a spring football season beginning in late February is something they would try to do. This morning Coach Andersen called spring football "not feasible." Odd that there is such a difference of opinion.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Machismo



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 330
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by LarryTheAggie » August 12th, 2020, 11:26 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:23 am
Here's more. Mr. Hartwell told Dave Fox last night that a spring football season beginning in late February is something they would try to do. This morning Coach Andersen called spring football "not feasible." Odd that there is such a difference of opinion.
Not that surprising, Hartwell is doing his job and saying what he has to say. Andersen is saying it how it really it. I would bet that Hartwell knows that spring football is not feasible too.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 12th, 2020, 11:32 am

Yeah if the Big 12 plays, Nebraska should leave and go back. (I know it isn't that easy).

We cannot go rogue on the MW. Us being in the MW is a great thing for Aggie sports. It is such a superior situation to the Big West or Wac. Our program obviously isn't nearly as self sufficient such as Nebraska or Ohio State.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
aggies22



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 12th, 2020, 11:33 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:23 am
Here's more. Mr. Hartwell told Dave Fox last night that a spring football season beginning in late February is something they would try to do. This morning Coach Andersen called spring football "not feasible." Odd that there is such a difference of opinion.
Yeah I don't believe we will play in the Spring. We aren't going to have home games in January or February. By the time the season ended it would be a short turn around for the Fall that I am sure coaches would not be excited about.



User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3407
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by ratofallaggies » August 12th, 2020, 11:37 am

The MW shutdown has very very little to do with the severity of the virus. There are politics involved. That's it.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 3):
aggies22AZ4AggieNation3rdGenAggie



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9981
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5510 times
Been thanked: 3284 times
Contact:

Re: Food For Thought

Post by aggies22 » August 12th, 2020, 11:42 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:33 am
aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:23 am
Here's more. Mr. Hartwell told Dave Fox last night that a spring football season beginning in late February is something they would try to do. This morning Coach Andersen called spring football "not feasible." Odd that there is such a difference of opinion.
Yeah I don't believe we will play in the Spring. We aren't going to have home games in January or February. By the time the season ended it would be a short turn around for the Fall that I am sure coaches would not be excited about.
A "normal spring ball" would have to be canceled. Day games near the end of February would have to be a requirement. No late night starts. "Normal" spring ball starts in March anyway, so playing in February wouldn't be that much of a stretch. I sit through spring ball anyway and it's typically warmer than an 8 pm November kick-off.

The HUGE hurdle would be the players would only basically get June and July off only for fall camp to begin in August in an attempt to resume a "normal" schedule of play. That would be tough and would certainly test every strength and conditioning program in the country. IF a spring season were played with resuming in August also being the goal, I would suggest that any player that gets injured in the spring season that is forced to miss more than 20% of the games in the fall be given an automatic medical redshirt.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9981
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5510 times
Been thanked: 3284 times
Contact:

Re: Food For Thought

Post by aggies22 » August 12th, 2020, 11:43 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:37 am
The MW shutdown has very very little to do with the severity of the virus. There are politics involved. That's it.
You know it my Aggie brother!



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 330
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by LarryTheAggie » August 12th, 2020, 11:58 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:43 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:37 am
The MW shutdown has very very little to do with the severity of the virus. There are politics involved. That's it.
You know it my Aggie brother!
I am curious to know what is really going on. It makes sense that the decision was political or at least financial.

College football players are not really at much risk even if they get they all get the virus. However, playing this year during the Rona would come with enormous cost including, insurance, liability, testing, more medical staff, cost associated with potentially canceling games last minute, other unusual logistics cost. Couple that with a loss of revenue from ticket sales, and from playing less games. It probably ended up being cheaper to cancel the season than to play it.

For those of you who have studied finance or economics, life is one big real option. The Mountain West just exercised their put option, cut their losses and went home.

I have absolutely no information, but from a distance, that is the best explanation of the driving force here. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 10310
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by ViAggie » August 12th, 2020, 12:04 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:43 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:37 am
The MW shutdown has very very little to do with the severity of the virus. There are politics involved. That's it.
You know it my Aggie brother!
MWC is trying to make the President look bad? :headscratch:


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3407
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by ratofallaggies » August 12th, 2020, 12:18 pm

ViAggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 12:04 pm
aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:43 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:37 am
The MW shutdown has very very little to do with the severity of the virus. There are politics involved. That's it.
You know it my Aggie brother!
MWC is trying to make the President look bad? :headscratch:
Never said anything about the president



Machismo
Posts: 3959
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:10 pm
Location: Providence ,Utah
Has thanked: 465 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by Machismo » August 12th, 2020, 12:43 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:23 am
Here's more. Mr. Hartwell told Dave Fox last night that a spring football season beginning in late February is something they would try to do. This morning Coach Andersen called spring football "not feasible." Odd that there is such a difference of opinion.
URBAN MEYER: “NO CHANCE” OF SPRING FOOTBALL





https://www.outkick.com/urban-meyer-no- ... -football/


"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5404
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 520 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by Aglicious » August 12th, 2020, 1:42 pm

A scathing article in SI about MWC presidents and their decision to change what the MWC AD's had just voted on.

MW Presidents Once Again Show a Lack of Regard for Constituents



calaggie
Posts: 167
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:14 am
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by calaggie » August 12th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Aglicious wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 1:42 pm
A scathing article in SI about MWC presidents and their decision to change what the MWC AD's had just voted on.

MW Presidents Once Again Show a Lack of Regard for Constituents
Is it? Looks more like an opinion piece by a Wyoming fan than an actual SI article. SI 7220 is basically a little niche in SI devoted to UW sports and written by a Wyo fan.



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5404
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 520 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by Aglicious » August 12th, 2020, 2:10 pm

calaggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 2:08 pm
Aglicious wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 1:42 pm
A scathing article in SI about MWC presidents and their decision to change what the MWC AD's had just voted on.

MW Presidents Once Again Show a Lack of Regard for Constituents
Is it? Looks more like an opinion piece by a Wyoming fan than an actual SI article. SI 7220 is basically a little niche in SI devoted to UW sports and written by a Wyo fan.
Yes, but gives some insight into how it went down and how AD's handled it versus the presidents.



User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 742
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 524 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 12th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Aglicious wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 2:10 pm
calaggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 2:08 pm
Aglicious wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 1:42 pm
A scathing article in SI about MWC presidents and their decision to change what the MWC AD's had just voted on.

MW Presidents Once Again Show a Lack of Regard for Constituents
Is it? Looks more like an opinion piece by a Wyoming fan than an actual SI article. SI 7220 is basically a little niche in SI devoted to UW sports and written by a Wyo fan.
Yes, but gives some insight into how it went down and how AD's handled it versus the presidents.
Its an opinion article that you tried to give validity as a legitimate article by calling it a "scathing article in SI." Its no more legitimate than the people posting on here (including myself).



dirtnsnow
Posts: 284
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 11:54 pm
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by dirtnsnow » August 12th, 2020, 2:27 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:38 am
Air Force, Army, and Navy, our nation's MILITARY schools are publicly stating that their football seasons are a FULL go. Of all the teams in the country, shouldn't they be privy to the best information available? What does this tell you?
Nothing. The air force academy is still closed to visitors, as are all military installations in Colorado Springs. They ate going ahead with cadet training while requiring new health and safety measures. Calhoun has always talked a big game and tried to play the victim. This isn't any different.


Aggies All the Way!

User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5404
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 520 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by Aglicious » August 12th, 2020, 2:43 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 2:16 pm
Aglicious wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 2:10 pm
calaggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 2:08 pm
Aglicious wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 1:42 pm
A scathing article in SI about MWC presidents and their decision to change what the MWC AD's had just voted on.

MW Presidents Once Again Show a Lack of Regard for Constituents
Is it? Looks more like an opinion piece by a Wyoming fan than an actual SI article. SI 7220 is basically a little niche in SI devoted to UW sports and written by a Wyo fan.
Yes, but gives some insight into how it went down and how AD's handled it versus the presidents.
Its an opinion article that you tried to give validity as a legitimate article by calling it a "scathing article in SI." Its no more legitimate than the people posting on here (including myself).
I'm trying to give it validity by posting a link to it? It is on SI.com. It is scathing (toward Wyoming's president). It offers the same picture that Hartwell painted today on 1280 when he said the AD's had come to one decision and the presidents came to another just days later. Hartwell also confirmed on the radio that there was no vote but rather a "consensus" that was reached. The point of sharing the link was to point out that it's apparent that the consensus was not a general agreement but rather a majority rule and it was the presidents that made the decision to cancel, not the AD's who have been the target of the criticism by some.



AGGIEFIGHT
Posts: 575
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:46 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » August 12th, 2020, 4:24 pm

Just wondering- As a member of the Mountain West we know there are large exit fees and notifications that have to be given if a school leaves the conference,. On the other side the MW has obligations concerning scheduling games, conference championships and sharing money from media rights
On the legal side has the MW breached their contract with the schools by cancelling the seasons,both spring and fall. What would the legal consequences be if some of the teams notified the conference that were in default and conference members were leaving for cause and going to start their own league. Would the MW have any recourse against the schools? We know college athletics will change and many minor sports will have to be eliminated. And maybe its time for a fresh start. To make it work Boise and BYU would have to be included and would have the most say but they also bring with them a Substantial amount of TV revenue
Just a thought - would probably never happen



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2198
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 12th, 2020, 6:39 pm

More food for thought here regarding possible changes. If in fact a spring football season does occur, then will spring workouts be cancelled? If spring workouts are held, then we have limited healing time for injuries incurred during the season, and even without spring workouts some injuries could take longer than 5 months to heal.

If we have spring football it would be like two (2) seasons in one (1) year, and that would be a terrible on established assets, coaches, trainers and of course the stars of the show, the players themselves.



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 336
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » August 12th, 2020, 7:12 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 6:39 pm
More food for thought here regarding possible changes. If in fact a spring football season does occur, then will spring workouts be cancelled? If spring workouts are held, then we have limited healing time for injuries incurred during the season, and even without spring workouts some injuries could take longer than 5 months to heal.

If we have spring football it would be like two (2) seasons in one (1) year, and that would be a terrible on established assets, coaches, trainers and of course the stars of the show, the players themselves.
Na, you'll just have spring camp/fall practice starting new year's day.



User avatar
AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff
Posts: 1974
Joined: January 1st, 1997, 12:00 am
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 211 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by AggiesForever » August 13th, 2020, 5:44 am

You could do Spring Football if it was like a 5 game season. But you could never do, as Gary said, the 8-10 game season some people are pining for. Just not enough time. As I have opined before, let's just move on to Fall 2021. Yes, there are sacrifices involved here, but its the right thing to do if we're not playing this fall-- IMHO.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
Intermeddler



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 13th, 2020, 8:52 am

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 4:24 pm
Just wondering- As a member of the Mountain West we know there are large exit fees and notifications that have to be given if a school leaves the conference,. On the other side the MW has obligations concerning scheduling games, conference championships and sharing money from media rights
On the legal side has the MW breached their contract with the schools by cancelling the seasons,both spring and fall. What would the legal consequences be if some of the teams notified the conference that were in default and conference members were leaving for cause and going to start their own league. Would the MW have any recourse against the schools? We know college athletics will change and many minor sports will have to be eliminated. And maybe its time for a fresh start. To make it work Boise and BYU would have to be included and would have the most say but they also bring with them a Substantial amount of TV revenue
Just a thought - would probably never happen
I hate that the season is cancelled, but the worst thing for USU sports would be to do anything to fracture their status in the MW.



User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12795
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 610 times
Been thanked: 748 times
Contact:

Re: Food For Thought

Post by ProvoAggie » August 13th, 2020, 8:53 am

It's not like some random person in the conference office decided to cancel the season. This decision was made by the University presidents. If a school or two were completely opposed to canceling the season then they may have a case but it would be hard for a University to argue that this is a breach of contract when it was the University's making this decision.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
thegreendalegelf



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2425
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 186 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by newhouse9 » August 13th, 2020, 10:02 am

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 4:24 pm
Just wondering- As a member of the Mountain West we know there are large exit fees and notifications that have to be given if a school leaves the conference,. On the other side the MW has obligations concerning scheduling games, conference championships and sharing money from media rights
On the legal side has the MW breached their contract with the schools by cancelling the seasons,both spring and fall. What would the legal consequences be if some of the teams notified the conference that were in default and conference members were leaving for cause and going to start their own league. Would the MW have any recourse against the schools? We know college athletics will change and many minor sports will have to be eliminated. And maybe its time for a fresh start. To make it work Boise and BYU would have to be included and would have the most say but they also bring with them a Substantial amount of TV revenue
Just a thought - would probably never happen
A Force Majeure scenario likely applies, and is contained in every contract I have ever reviewed.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
USU78



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 13th, 2020, 10:24 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 8:53 am
It's not like some random person in the conference office decided to cancel the season. This decision was made by the University presidents. If a school or two were completely opposed to canceling the season then they may have a case but it would be hard for a University to argue that this is a breach of contract when it was the University's making this decision.
Yeah USU isn't going to "go rogue" after their University President agreed to cancel Fall Sports.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15904
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 465 times
Been thanked: 1074 times

Re: Food For Thought

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 14th, 2020, 12:56 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 10:01 am
Consider that the academies have information that clarifies the reality of this virus. I often wonder if this outbreak would have occurred in a non election year what the general responses would have been.

On another note, we loyal board posters have little idea what the real world financial, league, future league affiliations and other unintended consequences from cancelling the MWC football season may be.
this



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic