So let me get this straight....

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Yossarian

So let me get this straight....

Post by Yossarian » August 10th, 2020, 10:55 pm

The MW had canceled the football season citing risk of the spread of COVID-19 and player safety as the reason.

So USU is going to open campus for classes this fall and then shut down at Thanksgiving and go to remote classes and finals to finish out the semester. The school has stated mask wearing is required on campus.

I few things I know:

1. College students don't like to be told what to do or wear.
2. College aged kids like to congregate and socialize a lot.
3. Nobody is going to wear masks as they congregate
4. Nobody is going to wear a mask 24/7 as they are in their apartments with roommates from all over the state and/or country
5. There are going to be kids breathing all over each other and touching everything on campus.
6. These kids that have been breathing on each other all semester will be sent home just in time to go to grandma's house for Thanksgiving.

Does this make any sense to anyone? You just as well play a football season if that is your plan. Either shut things down or don't. If the goal is zero cases reported before you can open up all the way, dont open school. You're just asking for spikes. They claim student athlete safety is top priority. Why isn't just plain student safety a priority?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie84025

Re: So let me get this straight....

Post by Aggie84025 » August 11th, 2020, 6:23 am

Yossarian wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 10:55 pm
The MW had canceled the football season citing risk of the spread of COVID-19 and player safety as the reason.

So USU is going to open campus for classes this fall and then shut down at Thanksgiving and go to remote classes and finals to finish out the semester. The school has stated mask wearing is required on campus.

I few things I know:

4. Nobody is going to wear a mask 24/7 as they are in their apartments with roommates from all over the state and/or country
5. There are going to be kids breathing all over each other and touching everything on campus.
6. These kids that have been breathing on each other all semester will be sent home just in time to go to grandma's house for Thanksgiving.

Does this make any sense to anyone? You just as well play a football season if that is your plan. Either shut things down or don't. If the goal is zero cases reported before you can open up all the way, dont open school. You're just asking for spikes. They claim student athlete safety is top priority. Why isn't just plain student safety a priority?
I agree, but the powers that be don't see it that way.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » August 11th, 2020, 9:20 am

Because nobody pays tuition if the school is shut down.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
AggieBlues

Formerly TulsAGGIE

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 11th, 2020, 9:42 am

It’s like we refuse to accept that the world has changed

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 11th, 2020, 9:54 am

ViAggie wrote:It’s like we refuse to accept that the world has changed
I hope you’re right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 11th, 2020, 9:59 am

It remains to be seen, the Sun Belt will probably cancel too, but it will be a blackeye on the MW if the Sunbelt has a season and the MW does not. It is one thing for the SEC with their money to pull it off, but if the Sunbelt does it and the MW can't, that just makes our conference look incompetent.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
JSHarvey

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » August 11th, 2020, 10:08 am

Students are also signing up for online courses, which should help to reduce the number of students on campus for the fall.

When classes moved online last Spring, many students indicated the online and streamed lessons made for a seamless transition. For Fall, professors have had months to prepare, which will make the delivery more effective than last spring.
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post:
oleblu111

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 11th, 2020, 10:21 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 9:59 am
It remains to be seen, the Sun Belt will probably cancel too, but it will be a blackeye on the MW if the Sunbelt has a season and the MW does not. It is one thing for the SEC with their money to pull it off, but if the Sunbelt does it and the MW can't, that just makes our conference look incompetent.
If any of the G5 conferences play and are successful then the MW will look like a bunch pansies that have no clue what they are doing. At that point it would be hard to argue it was the right decision. Granted those are some big if's.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » August 11th, 2020, 10:29 am

Yossarian wrote:

I few things I know:

None of this makes any sense. You can go to Bass Pro Shops, Costco and the huge anchor stores at the mall through they’re outside entrances but it’s too dangerous go into the halls of the mall (which means none of the smaller shops can open. Some of them have been closed for 5 months). You can be on the wet sand at the beach but not on the dry sand. You can attend a mass protest or apparently even a destructive riot without consequence but heaven help you if you go to a private party with over 50 people or try to open your gym to try to stay alive. Standing in line at liquor stores and pot shops is no problem because they’re essential services but going to church is off limits. Masks were scoffed at at the beginning of the crisis but now they are the only thing that will save our country. You can die from previous health problems or even accidents but if you happen to test positive, you’re counted as a C19 death regardless of the real cause. Hospitals are tasked with accurately counting cases so we can try to figure out just how bad this really is but they receive more funding the more cases they report. The little leagues, junior football, high school sports and professional leagues are fine to practice and play but colleges can’t. You can attend the university in person but you can’t play sports. The shut-down of the country (which virtually everyone complied with willingly BTW even at great personal costs in some cases) was supposedly a 5-week thing to “flatten the curve” and help our medical people weather the storm (which it did) but now we’re in month 5 with no end in sight and with a goal of what, zero deaths (who knows what the goal or the metric is now. It seems to shift daily.)? (Many of these are not Utah-specific examples)

None of this makes any sense.

This is why a large number of people are questioning what is really going on, myself included. And, no, I don’t think the virus is a hoax just because I question the responses to it. And, yes, I think everyone should wear masks in public since it’s possible that they help and it’s a VERY minor inconvenience (especially compared to the 30 million people who are receiving some form of unemployment due to job losses from the virus - by far the biggest job losses in our history).

A major part of the problem is that it’s become virtually impossible to know who or what to believe anymore and which why many people just don’t believe what they are being told. In the end, for a significant portion of our population, the “truth” depends to a large extent upon which political tribe one ascribes to and the narrative(s) that must be maintained at virtually all costs. It’s a recipe for utter disaster on all fronts and I fear we’re only in the beginning stages.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 4):
slcaggAgSpaceCaseShowMeAggieAZ4AggieNation

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 11th, 2020, 10:41 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 10:21 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 9:59 am
If any of the G5 conferences play and are successful then the MW will look like a bunch pansies that have no clue what they are doing. At that point it would be hard to argue it was the right decision. Granted those are some big if's.
Yeah there are certainly a lot of big ifs right now. For all we know in a few days every conference will cancel. The Sunbelt is going to follow their big brother the SEC's lead. It would certainly make the MW look bad if there is a season for some schools and not for others and there are limited problems for those who play.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » August 11th, 2020, 11:48 am

Yossarian wrote:

I few things I know:

It means one of two things: the decision maker(s) is/are stupid; or the decision maker(s) is/are lying about why the decision was made.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » August 11th, 2020, 11:57 am

Most students on campus will be attending remote classes. Most only have 1 in-person class, if that.

It really is the same challenge for schools at all levels. At least college students can be treated as responsible for any dumb decisions they make. My 7 year old may make the same (well not quite, but similar) questionable covid safety choices as a college student, but the college student still has more responsibility for those choices.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
oleblu111

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 11th, 2020, 2:47 pm

ViAggie wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 9:42 am
The question is who is trying to change the world.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
aggies22

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 11th, 2020, 3:16 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 2:47 pm
ViAggie wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 9:42 am
The question is who is trying to change the world.
satan.jpg

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » August 11th, 2020, 3:42 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 9:20 am
They might pay tuition if school is online, but nobody would be paying room and board, they can't afford to lose that revenue.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 11th, 2020, 3:46 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 9:20 am
This is a problem I have seen out here in California. The UC system is losing money with the shut-downs. I have talked to parents of kids that have been accepted into the UC system. Then they go to distance learning. So the parents think - why would I pay the high cost of tuition to a UC school so my kid can take classes on-line? Why wouldn't I just have my kid go to a local JC to take generals and then re-apply to the UC with an associate's degree in hand (which most kids have a higher chance of getting in that way anyway)? If the kids aren't going to get the in-person instruction and traditional experience of a UC school, there is no reason to pay the high cost of a general education they can get at a local community college and just transfer the credits. The UC schools suffer.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic