No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
NowhereLandAggie
Posts: 3082
Joined: November 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by NowhereLandAggie » August 9th, 2020, 5:21 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... this-fall/

I suspect this will occur this week. The Big 10 presidents have already been talking about it.



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2831
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 589 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 9th, 2020, 6:04 pm

Idiots, all of them. They can’t admit these players aren’t fully amateurs, so they can’t put them in a bubble. And they also think the world’s fittest 20 year olds are going to die from this virus.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 5):
IdaAg93SLBFloridaAggie13aggies22hipsterdoofus21


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 471 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 9th, 2020, 6:06 pm

A shame with 5 months to plan they can't figure out a way to make this work. Hopefully college basketball figures it out.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
Intermeddlerthegreendalegelfaggies22



User avatar
IdaAg93
Posts: 1498
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:30 am
Location: SE Idaho...a perfect distance from the hive.
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by IdaAg93 » August 9th, 2020, 6:23 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 6:04 pm
Idiots, all of them. They can’t admit these players aren’t fully amateurs, so they can’t put them in a bubble. And they also think the world’s fittest 20 year olds are going to die from this virus.
I'm 100% in this camp. This is about cases of CV19 now, not deaths. Yes, people will get the virus, but they'll be fine. It's the 70 yr old obese or metabolically unhealthy person that is at risk. Those people aren't on the field. If that's you in the stands, then I'd suggest don't go or get on the healthy side of life. This CV19 is exposing peoples fear of their own poor health. It's a shame....yes, I'm on my soap box out. It's the 80 yr old obese person driving this bus. Get me off of it!! :bangwall:
These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post (total 3):
IntermeddlerSLBaggies22



Intermeddler
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 240 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by Intermeddler » August 9th, 2020, 6:35 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 6:23 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 6:04 pm
Idiots, all of them. They can’t admit these players aren’t fully amateurs, so they can’t put them in a bubble. And they also think the world’s fittest 20 year olds are going to die from this virus.
I'm 100% in this camp. This is about cases of CV19 now, not deaths. Yes, people will get the virus, but they'll be fine. It's the 70 yr old obese or metabolically unhealthy person that is at risk. Those people aren't on the field. If that's you in the stands, then I'd suggest don't go or get on the healthy side of life. This CV19 is exposing peoples fear of their own poor health. It's a shame....yes, I'm on my soap box out. It's the 80 yr old obese person driving this bus. Get me off of it!! :bangwall:
In which scenario is a CFB player more likely to catch the virus, practicing and being involved with the team 30 plus hours per week, eating and studying at the team facility, subject to regular testing and the accountability that if you are reckless and get sick you could spread it to your team and compromise your season or

You have ample free time and nothing to do with it and no one policing you and maybe need to get a job to help supplement your income of your family needs it and it’s probably a low level customer service job where you are regularly exposed to people etc?

If you make a decision that leads to the latter don’t pretend it’s about health and safety rather than financial liability
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
hipsterdoofus21



Aggiealum13
Posts: 176
Joined: February 3rd, 2017, 4:28 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 9th, 2020, 6:38 pm

The powers of college football took too much of a wait-and-see strategy. A reactionary strategy rather than proactive strategy was the wrong move. I have greater hope for college basketball and here's why. They already cancelled the tournament once, I doubt they cancel it again. It is there main money maker to function as an association, but for the NCAA to make this work, they have to be proactive and not reactive on their strategy. I can understand why they cancelled it last time because the covid-19 hit right when Selection Sunday was about to begin. They didn't have enough time to plan that. This time they do, and I believe they will make this work, even if it means pushing the tournament out a little or do a bubble system of 4 venues (one per bracket). Either way if the NCAA is smart then they can come up with a plan to make this work.



Aggie84025
Posts: 2401
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by Aggie84025 » August 9th, 2020, 6:42 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 6:23 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 6:04 pm
Idiots, all of them. They can’t admit these players aren’t fully amateurs, so they can’t put them in a bubble. And they also think the world’s fittest 20 year olds are going to die from this virus.
I'm 100% in this camp. This is about cases of CV19 now, not deaths. Yes, people will get the virus, but they'll be fine. It's the 70 yr old obese or metabolically unhealthy person that is at risk. Those people aren't on the field. If that's you in the stands, then I'd suggest don't go or get on the healthy side of life. This CV19 is exposing peoples fear of their own poor health. It's a shame....yes, I'm on my soap box out. It's the 80 yr old obese person driving this bus. Get me off of it!! :bangwall:
i am in the same boat, but unfortunately i am not the decision maker on this. I believe it can be done, but there no conference is going to have the courage to do it.



User avatar
NowhereLandAggie
Posts: 3082
Joined: November 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by NowhereLandAggie » August 9th, 2020, 6:52 pm

Going to play devil's advocate slightly on this one. I know there is no perfect, nor very good solution to any of this. However, this mainly is a form of entertainment and concerts/movies have been on hold indefinitely.

I teach school and will go back; fully accepting the risks that come with it because it is a necessary service required.

My kids also raise animals and we sold them in a show this past week. I was examining the possibility of taking one of to a packer for myself. That isn't even possible right now because the meat packing industry has been turned upside down, and not from government forces.

There are an oversupply of ready for processing livestock that can't be slaughtered because several of the major plants in the US shut down or are way under production. (Including the Hyrum plant.) They kept pushing forward without taking precautions, without having necessary PPE, or giving people paid time off (like Wal-Mart) that had fevers.

This has affected everyone. If you have noticed meat prices have skyrocketed in the stores, while livestock prices have fallen off because there is a bottleneck. Most of the smaller plants have months long waiting lists because of this.

These workers weren't just 70+ year olds in bad health. Is it really worth the cost to have college football when so many vital industries are on their head? Again I am not advocating for a complete shutdown, I am going back to school myself. I just wonder if playing games this fall is very wise.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
ChowderAggie



User avatar
IdaAg93
Posts: 1498
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:30 am
Location: SE Idaho...a perfect distance from the hive.
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by IdaAg93 » August 9th, 2020, 7:35 pm

A simple examination of Europe and you'll see that life goes on after the spike. CV19 will run its course. It's either slow or fast. Masks didn't stop or slow the decline in cases in Europe. This is just fear. It's real, but it is not uncommon to sit people out due to the common flu. Just plain over-reaction. React, but shut down? The overwhelming other consequences are unmeasurable and seem to be forgotten.
These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post (total 3):
BigSkyAGaggies22hipsterdoofus21



AggieUprising50
Posts: 732
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by AggieUprising50 » August 9th, 2020, 7:54 pm

There’s at least some momentum from the players wanting to play. The hashtag #WeWantToPlay is trending.

Trevor Lawerance tweeted this: "People are at just as much, if not more risk, if we don't play," the junior signal-caller wrote. "Players will all be sent home to their own communities where social distancing is highly unlikely and medical care and expenses will be placed on the families if they were to contract COVID-19. Not to mention the players coming from situations that are not good for them/ their future and having to go back to that. Football is a safe haven for so many people.

"We are more likely to get the virus in everyday life than playing football. Having a season also incentivizes players being safe and taking all of the right precautions to try to avoid contracting covid because the season/ teammates safety is on the line. Without the season, as we've seen already, people will not social distance or wear masks and take the proper precautions."

He makes some very valid points. Hopefully players speaking out will persuade the AD’s.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyhipsterdoofus21



User avatar
NowhereLandAggie
Posts: 3082
Joined: November 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by NowhereLandAggie » August 9th, 2020, 7:57 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 7:35 pm
A simple examination of Europe and you'll see that life goes on after the spike. CV19 will run its course. It's either slow or fast. Masks didn't stop or slow the decline in cases in Europe. This is just fear. It's real, but it is not uncommon to sit people out due to the common flu. Just plain over-reaction. React, but shut down? The overwhelming other consequences are unmeasurable and seem to be forgotten.
Europe has had much more stringent distancing procedures in place so many never had the influx like the USA.

I am not trying to turn this into one of the literally dozens of threads about this that head to the Sandbox, I really wonder if these large crowds are worth the risk considering all of the potential ramifications to more essential businesses.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 471 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 9th, 2020, 8:11 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 6:38 pm
The powers of college football took too much of a wait-and-see strategy. A reactionary strategy rather than proactive strategy was the wrong move. I have greater hope for college basketball and here's why. They already cancelled the tournament once, I doubt they cancel it again. It is there main money maker to function as an association, but for the NCAA to make this work, they have to be proactive and not reactive on their strategy. I can understand why they cancelled it last time because the covid-19 hit right when Selection Sunday was about to begin. They didn't have enough time to plan that. This time they do, and I believe they will make this work, even if it means pushing the tournament out a little or do a bubble system of 4 venues (one per bracket). Either way if the NCAA is smart then they can come up with a plan to make this work.
Yeah college football massively failed. Their wait and see hope for the best approach was a failure. They had months to put forth a plan and didn't. By the end of April they should have had a system in place and strict rules that while maybe could have been inconvenient for players and fans would have let the show go on. That is why ive said for weeks we were on the road to cancellation. All I was seeing was cancelling different things and postponing others. There was no plan. It was embarassing. I hope basketball is much smarter.



blueaggie
Posts: 956
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by blueaggie » August 9th, 2020, 11:52 pm

Just think if the MWC is the only conference to have college football. How great would that be for the conference.



stwinward
Posts: 390
Joined: August 31st, 2013, 9:35 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by stwinward » August 10th, 2020, 6:28 am

blueaggie wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 11:52 pm
Just think if the MWC is the only conference to have college football. How great would that be for the conference.
As much as I wish they had the guts to do this, if the P5 cancel, they'll put pressure on the NCAA to force everyone to cancel. That's my guess. Any conference willing to play (if there are any) will be told they can't. Everyone's too scared of looking bad if there's an outbreak.



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 10306
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by ViAggie » August 10th, 2020, 7:37 am

I have no comment


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG
Posts: 6294
Joined: January 10th, 2003, 12:00 am
Location: northeast Iowa
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by AGinNEIowa » August 10th, 2020, 8:02 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 6:38 pm
The powers of college football took too much of a wait-and-see strategy. A reactionary strategy rather than proactive strategy was the wrong move. I have greater hope for college basketball and here's why. They already cancelled the tournament once, I doubt they cancel it again. It is there main money maker to function as an association, but for the NCAA to make this work, they have to be proactive and not reactive on their strategy. I can understand why they cancelled it last time because the covid-19 hit right when Selection Sunday was about to begin. They didn't have enough time to plan that. This time they do, and I believe they will make this work, even if it means pushing the tournament out a little or do a bubble system of 4 venues (one per bracket). Either way if the NCAA is smart then they can come up with a plan to make this work.
Not sure who the "powers of college football" are that are different than whoever may be planning for NCAA football.

Presidents? nope, same
Conferences? nope, same
NCAA? nope, same

If there's NCAAB this winter, it will be in spite of the "powers"


2020 PICK'EM GOOGLE Docs -
WEEK 12 (pick entry)

WEEK 11 (results)

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 3176
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 471 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 10th, 2020, 8:23 am

ViAggie wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 7:37 am
I have no comment
You were right, but it didn't need to happen like this. They could have put a plan in place to have at least a partial season. It would have been difficult to isolate college kids, but possible if they were prepared. College football failed their players and their fans this year.



Aggie84025
Posts: 2401
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by Aggie84025 » August 10th, 2020, 8:31 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 8:23 am
ViAggie wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 7:37 am
I have no comment
You were right, but it didn't need to happen like this. They could have put a plan in place to have at least a partial season. It would have been difficult to isolate college kids, but possible if they were prepared. College football failed their players and their fans this year.
No doubt college football leadership failed and could have done a better job with this. In my opinion the players demanding all of these certain things over the last few weeks is what is ultimately pushed this over the edge. No way with the fear of all these players making demands the teams were going to play. I hope everyone is happy. It is unfortunate, but life will move on. I guess i need to take up a new hobby this fall because my favorite past time is all but gone this year.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15900
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 465 times
Been thanked: 1074 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 10th, 2020, 8:44 am

What we’ve been witnessing is the first social media driven pandemic. Politicians, businesses, and in this case universities are all responding to the fear and uncertainty that has boiled over from social media and media outlets.
No one wants to be held liable despite the data clearly showing who needs to be careful at this point and who can go back to life as usual.

The death rate is currently at 3% when you include 75 yo and up. It’s much, much less when you don’t. You know what else has a 3 in 100 chance of death? Driving a car.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
slcaggbwcrc



Aggie84025
Posts: 2401
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by Aggie84025 » August 10th, 2020, 8:46 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 8:44 am
What we’ve been witnessing is the first social media driven pandemic. Politicians, businesses, and in this case universities are all responding to the fear and uncertainty that has boiled over from social media and media outlets.
No one wants to be held liable despite the data clearly showing who needs to be careful at this point and who can go back to life as usual.

The death rate is currently at 3% when you include 75 yo and up. It’s much, much less when you don’t. You know what else has a 3 in 100 chance of death? Driving a car.
I agree, which is why the handling of this mess and how everything is portrayed by the media is driving me nuts.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
hipsterdoofus21



User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 742
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 524 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 10th, 2020, 8:56 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 8:44 am
What we’ve been witnessing is the first social media driven pandemic. Politicians, businesses, and in this case universities are all responding to the fear and uncertainty that has boiled over from social media and media outlets.
No one wants to be held liable despite the data clearly showing who needs to be careful at this point and who can go back to life as usual.

The death rate is currently at 3% when you include 75 yo and up. It’s much, much less when you don’t. You know what else has a 3 in 100 chance of death? Driving a car.
1. There is not a 3% chance that you die in a car crash. In 2018, the death rate per 100k in the US was ~11.

2. We do everything we can to reduce the amount of deaths on the roads. We don't just look at the death rate and say "well thats just fine." Cars are made safer. Traffic laws are made/adjusted/enforced. That is also what is happening with COVID.

3. Most importantly, the different outcomes to a player getting COVID isn't just asymptomatic or death. Multiple college football players are already showing that COVID has given them heart issues to varying degrees. There are also players with preexisting conditions. We can't just say "they won't die" because the outcomes outside of death are numerous and can be a massive impact on the players health after they leave school.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 6890
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 394 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by 2004AG » August 10th, 2020, 9:01 am

ViAggie wrote:I have no comment
Happy day for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 6890
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 394 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by 2004AG » August 10th, 2020, 9:04 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 8:44 am
What we’ve been witnessing is the first social media driven pandemic. Politicians, businesses, and in this case universities are all responding to the fear and uncertainty that has boiled over from social media and media outlets.
No one wants to be held liable despite the data clearly showing who needs to be careful at this point and who can go back to life as usual.

The death rate is currently at 3% when you include 75 yo and up. It’s much, much less when you don’t. You know what else has a 3 in 100 chance of death? Driving a car.
1. There is not a 3% chance that you die in a car crash. In 2018, the death rate per 100k in the US was ~11.

2. We do everything we can to reduce the amount of deaths on the roads. We don't just look at the death rate and say "well thats just fine." Cars are made safer. Traffic laws are made/adjusted/enforced. That is also what is happening with COVID.

3. Most importantly, the different outcomes to a player getting COVID isn't just asymptomatic or death. Multiple college football players are already showing that COVID has given them heart issues to varying degrees. There are also players with preexisting conditions. We can't just say "they won't die" because the outcomes outside of death are numerous and can be a massive impact on the players health after they leave school.
#2 still doesn’t mean what we are doing isn’t an overreaction. We can take precautions against the virus without ending the world over it. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing.

#3 is the risk of getting it greater for football players than the general population? Because lots of players will get it just living their daily lives.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
hipsterdoofus21



User avatar
NowhereLandAggie
Posts: 3082
Joined: November 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by NowhereLandAggie » August 10th, 2020, 9:28 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 8:44 am
The death rate is currently at 3% when you include 75 yo and up. It’s much, much less when you don’t. You know what else has a 3 in 100 chance of death? Driving a car.
It is even close to that. It is a 0.012% chance of death in a car.

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-vehic ... and-rates/

I actually wonder more about the crowds than the players anyways. Putting 10's of thousands of people in stadiums means the chance transmission increases. If a season does happen Pennsylvania schools have already said no fans at the games.

Again, college sports don't seem as essential to me as many other jobs such as grocery store workers etc., I just wonder if it is worth the risk.



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 10306
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by ViAggie » August 10th, 2020, 9:41 am

2004AG wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 9:01 am
ViAggie wrote:I have no comment
Happy day for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No :bs:


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

slcagg
Posts: 5574
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1006 times
Been thanked: 854 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by slcagg » August 10th, 2020, 9:44 am

I’m seeing some discussion that the sec may try to give this a go and convince the big 12 and acc to join. Meanwhile the left coast conference of 12 wannabes and big 10 are looking unlikely.



User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 742
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 524 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 10th, 2020, 9:45 am

slcagg wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 9:44 am
I’m seeing some discussion that the sec may try to give this a go and convince the big 12 and acc to join. Meanwhile the left coast conference of 12 wannabes and big 10 are looking unlikely.
Big 10 has voted and its a no. 12-2.



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 10306
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by ViAggie » August 10th, 2020, 9:47 am

2004AG wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 9:04 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 8:44 am
What we’ve been witnessing is the first social media driven pandemic. Politicians, businesses, and in this case universities are all responding to the fear and uncertainty that has boiled over from social media and media outlets.
No one wants to be held liable despite the data clearly showing who needs to be careful at this point and who can go back to life as usual.

The death rate is currently at 3% when you include 75 yo and up. It’s much, much less when you don’t. You know what else has a 3 in 100 chance of death? Driving a car.
1. There is not a 3% chance that you die in a car crash. In 2018, the death rate per 100k in the US was ~11.

2. We do everything we can to reduce the amount of deaths on the roads. We don't just look at the death rate and say "well thats just fine." Cars are made safer. Traffic laws are made/adjusted/enforced. That is also what is happening with COVID.

3. Most importantly, the different outcomes to a player getting COVID isn't just asymptomatic or death. Multiple college football players are already showing that COVID has given them heart issues to varying degrees. There are also players with preexisting conditions. We can't just say "they won't die" because the outcomes outside of death are numerous and can be a massive impact on the players health after they leave school.
#2 still doesn’t mean what we are doing isn’t an overreaction. We can take precautions against the virus without ending the world over it. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing.

#3 is the risk of getting it greater for football players than the general population? Because lots of players will get it just living their daily lives.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#2 - Okay, but just saying those things doesn't solve any problems, what are the "precautions" you speak of? No one has come out with any. I don't see a plan... and that's the big problem! What's the plan man??? :headscratch:

#3 - have you ever played organized tackle football? If you have, you would know the answer about the risks. Ever been in a bottom of a pile? Ever had someone else's blood all over your own uniform? All it takes is for one player to infect an entire team, the other team they are playing, the coaching staff, their parents, grand parents, the college professors, their family members, etc. You get the point? Is it an "over reaction" to help stop the spread of a disease that could potentially kill you (and this is not hyperbole, sorry)?


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
JSHarvey
Posts: 1829
Joined: April 2nd, 2013, 12:45 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has thanked: 753 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by JSHarvey » August 10th, 2020, 9:54 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 8:44 am
What we’ve been witnessing is the first social media driven pandemic. Politicians, businesses, and in this case universities are all responding to the fear and uncertainty that has boiled over from social media and media outlets.
No one wants to be held liable despite the data clearly showing who needs to be careful at this point and who can go back to life as usual.

The death rate is currently at 3% when you include 75 yo and up. It’s much, much less when you don’t. You know what else has a 3 in 100 chance of death? Driving a car.
There are about 227 million licensed drivers in the US. We have less than 40,000 traffic related deaths a year. We've already had over 150,000 COVID-19 deaths. So on its face the deaths rates for the two are vastly different.

For driving the rate is somewhere around .000134 per driver per year.
For COVID-19 it is a bit harder to calculate as the number of infected folks is unknown but the best guess of the folks who are trying to track it is about 5 million. That gives a death rate of .03.
So driving is "roughly" 300 times "safer" than catching COVID-19.


"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 6890
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 394 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by 2004AG » August 10th, 2020, 10:45 am

ViAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 9:04 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 8:44 am
What we’ve been witnessing is the first social media driven pandemic. Politicians, businesses, and in this case universities are all responding to the fear and uncertainty that has boiled over from social media and media outlets.
No one wants to be held liable despite the data clearly showing who needs to be careful at this point and who can go back to life as usual.

The death rate is currently at 3% when you include 75 yo and up. It’s much, much less when you don’t. You know what else has a 3 in 100 chance of death? Driving a car.
1. There is not a 3% chance that you die in a car crash. In 2018, the death rate per 100k in the US was ~11.

2. We do everything we can to reduce the amount of deaths on the roads. We don't just look at the death rate and say "well thats just fine." Cars are made safer. Traffic laws are made/adjusted/enforced. That is also what is happening with COVID.

3. Most importantly, the different outcomes to a player getting COVID isn't just asymptomatic or death. Multiple college football players are already showing that COVID has given them heart issues to varying degrees. There are also players with preexisting conditions. We can't just say "they won't die" because the outcomes outside of death are numerous and can be a massive impact on the players health after they leave school.
#2 still doesn’t mean what we are doing isn’t an overreaction. We can take precautions against the virus without ending the world over it. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing.

#3 is the risk of getting it greater for football players than the general population? Because lots of players will get it just living their daily lives.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#2 - Okay, but just saying those things doesn't solve any problems, what are the "precautions" you speak of? No one has come out with any. I don't see a plan... and that's the big problem! What's the plan man??? :headscratch:

#3 - have you ever played organized tackle football? If you have, you would know the answer about the risks. Ever been in a bottom of a pile? Ever had someone else's blood all over your own uniform? All it takes is for one player to infect an entire team, the other team they are playing, the coaching staff, their parents, grand parents, the college professors, their family members, etc. You get the point? Is it an "over reaction" to help stop the spread of a disease that could potentially kill you (and this is not hyperbole, sorry)?
#2 what do you mean nobody has come out with any precautions? Look at every single sports league out there. Follow similar precautions.

#3 it is hyperbole with regards to college athletes. It’s not going to kill them. The players can and WILL get it outside of playing football. Unless they hide in their houses for the last six months like you have. I’m all for taking extra precautions and protecting old people, but yes, our response has been an overreaction. College football did not need to be cancelled.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 4724
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 213 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by Mr. Sneelock » August 10th, 2020, 10:54 am

I think it is more about the crowds and the inability to control the spread than about player safety. It sucks. There are no easy answers. I don't think anyone wants to shut down college sports, and I believe that everyone is doing the best they can with the information they have.


Formerly TulsAGGIE

User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 10306
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by ViAggie » August 10th, 2020, 11:24 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 10:54 am
I think it is more about the crowds and the inability to control the spread than about player safety. It sucks. There are no easy answers. I don't think anyone wants to shut down college sports, and I believe that everyone is doing the best they can with the information they have.
Bingo


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 624
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by ShowMeAggie » August 10th, 2020, 11:29 am

JSHarvey wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 9:54 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 8:44 am
What we’ve been witnessing is the first social media driven pandemic. Politicians, businesses, and in this case universities are all responding to the fear and uncertainty that has boiled over from social media and media outlets.
No one wants to be held liable despite the data clearly showing who needs to be careful at this point and who can go back to life as usual.

The death rate is currently at 3% when you include 75 yo and up. It’s much, much less when you don’t. You know what else has a 3 in 100 chance of death? Driving a car.
There are about 227 million licensed drivers in the US. We have less than 40,000 traffic related deaths a year. We've already had over 150,000 COVID-19 deaths. So on its face the deaths rates for the two are vastly different.

For driving the rate is somewhere around .000134 per driver per year.
For COVID-19 it is a bit harder to calculate as the number of infected folks is unknown but the best guess of the folks who are trying to track it is about 5 million. That gives a death rate of .03.
So driving is "roughly" 300 times "safer" than catching COVID-19.
documented cases are 5,000,000+ (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/). last i saw was that the 'best guess of the folks who are trying to track it' was somewhere between 6 and 24 times greater than that (https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/21/cdc ... -19-cases/)...so 75,000,000ish. that would mean a death rate of 0.002 or 0.2%. That's still an order of magnitude greater than the 0.0134% you reported for automobile deaths, but not 225x greater as suggested above...
These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 8307
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 1813 times
Been thanked: 525 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by USU78 » August 10th, 2020, 11:59 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 7:57 pm
IdaAg93 wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 7:35 pm
A simple examination of Europe and you'll see that life goes on after the spike. CV19 will run its course. It's either slow or fast. Masks didn't stop or slow the decline in cases in Europe. This is just fear. It's real, but it is not uncommon to sit people out due to the common flu. Just plain over-reaction. React, but shut down? The overwhelming other consequences are unmeasurable and seem to be forgotten.
Europe has had much more stringent distancing procedures in place so many never had the influx like the USA.

I am not trying to turn this into one of the literally dozens of threads about this that head to the Sandbox, I really wonder if these large crowds are worth the risk considering all of the potential ramifications to more essential businesses.
Two words: Sweden.


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

User avatar
NowhereLandAggie
Posts: 3082
Joined: November 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by NowhereLandAggie » August 10th, 2020, 12:04 pm

USU78 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 11:59 am
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 7:57 pm
IdaAg93 wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 7:35 pm
A simple examination of Europe and you'll see that life goes on after the spike. CV19 will run its course. It's either slow or fast. Masks didn't stop or slow the decline in cases in Europe. This is just fear. It's real, but it is not uncommon to sit people out due to the common flu. Just plain over-reaction. React, but shut down? The overwhelming other consequences are unmeasurable and seem to be forgotten.
Europe has had much more stringent distancing procedures in place so many never had the influx like the USA.

I am not trying to turn this into one of the literally dozens of threads about this that head to the Sandbox, I really wonder if these large crowds are worth the risk considering all of the potential ramifications to more essential businesses.
Two words: Sweden.
If it was 2 words wouldn't it be SWEE-DEN?😝
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
USU78



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic