Gary interview - July 29

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Gary interview - July 29

Post by slcagg » August 4th, 2020, 7:59 am

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 4th, 2020, 1:02 pm

So Gary tried to bring in another QB in May huh.

One thing that is abundantly clear, Gary did not want to go into this season with HC as his QB.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Re:

Post by ViAggie » August 4th, 2020, 1:05 pm

2004AG wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 1:02 pm

One thing that is abundantly clear, Gary did not want to go into this season with HC as his QB.
Sounds like it

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

El Sapo

Re: Re:

Post by El Sapo » August 4th, 2020, 1:15 pm

ViAggie wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 1:05 pm
2004AG wrote:

Sounds like it
GA might have gotten a drift that HC wanted to be a "free agent" during this non-season.

“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

GeoAg

Re: Gary interview - July 29

Post by GeoAg » August 4th, 2020, 1:28 pm

I don't think that is true. I would say he likely didn't want to go into the season with only one QB with any decent game experience and didn't want the position to have zero competition for the starting role without a returning starter. Don't think it was a problem with HC specifically
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 6):
USU78El SapoBustaMcNuttNVAggieBLUERUFiOJSHarvey

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » August 4th, 2020, 1:39 pm

El Sapo wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 1:15 pm
ViAggie wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 1:05 pm
2004AG wrote:

Sounds like it
GA might have gotten a drift that HC wanted to be a "free agent" during this non-season.
Possibly, but I think not. As far as I can see, he's expressed hurt and surprise upon revelation that he'd been recruited over.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
El Sapo

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

YoungBloodAggie

Re:

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 4th, 2020, 1:40 pm

2004AG wrote:

One thing that is abundantly clear, Gary did not want to go into this season with HC as his ONLY HEALTHY, GAME-READY QB.
FIFY
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 4th, 2020, 1:55 pm

So what do you guys make of Gary, EVERY single time he is asked about transfers, is that they are brought in to basically start or at the very least have a VERY significant role on the team? (he said the same thing in this interview too)

With QB, only one guy can play at time.....and Gary wants transfers to start, (his words), I don't see how it isn't viewed that Shelley came in with the intention of being the starter.

I don't necessarily mean to plow the same ground over again, and we can all agree to disagree at this point, but IMO, its pretty obvious Shelley was brought in to be the man. HC felt the same way.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 4th, 2020, 1:58 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 1:40 pm
2004AG wrote:

One thing that is abundantly clear, Gary did not want to go into this season with HC as his ONLY HEALTHY, GAME-READY QB.
FIFY
Well, then Gary is back to square one because he still only has ONE healthy game ready QB. :bangwall:
JSHarvey

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » August 4th, 2020, 2:25 pm

I love HC, and I thought he would be an impact player for us, I'm sorry to see him go, but after watching Shelley play, I will not condemn GA in any way for signing him.

If HC had stayed? Based on game film and experience I'd say Shelley would be the odds on favorite to start.

I'm thinking next year, not this season, so HC could really develop physically and I expect he will. I'd still take Shelley.

“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 4th, 2020, 2:41 pm

2004AG wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 1:58 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

FIFY
Well, then Gary is back to square one because he still only has ONE healthy game ready QB. :bangwall:
Sure, but at least he's going in with a guy that wanted to compete for that starting spot.
slcagg

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 4th, 2020, 2:57 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

FIFY
Sure, but at least he's going in with a guy that wanted to compete for that starting spot.
Maybe. But I’d argue JS wasn’t going to compete for the spot either. It was already his. HC must have felt that way too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aggies22

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 4th, 2020, 3:02 pm

2004AG wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 2:57 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

FIFY
Maybe. But I’d argue JS wasn’t going to compete for the spot either. It was already his. HC must have felt that way too.

I know you'd argue that, as would many others, but that doesn't line up with what I've heard from sources. I think it's sufficient to say that JS wasn't promised anything other than a shot, and that HC was upset at the notion of having to compete after sitting behind Love.
oleblu111

gomretat
Has thanked: 0

Post by gomretat » August 4th, 2020, 3:47 pm

It would be more than foolish for the coaches to guarantee a starting to job to JS or for that matter almost any transfer that would come to USU. I seriously doubt GA did so. I listened to the interview and that is certainly not what I heard.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 4th, 2020, 4:01 pm

gomretat wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 3:47 pm
It would be more than foolish for the coaches to guarantee a starting to job to JS or for that matter almost any transfer that would come to USU. I seriously doubt GA did so. I listened to the interview and that is certainly not what I heard.
I'm sure he didn't "guarantee" the job, but Shelley isn't coming to USU to be the backup. He certainly believed he was at least in the lead to be the starter. And I'm fine with that. Gary's job is to win football games at USU. If Shelley gives us a better chance to win games than Colombi, then it was the right call.

gomretat
Has thanked: 0

Post by gomretat » August 4th, 2020, 5:02 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 4:01 pm
gomretat wrote:
I'm sure he didn't "guarantee" the job, but Shelley isn't coming to USU to be the backup. He certainly believed he was at least in the lead to be the starter. And I'm fine with that. Gary's job is to win football games at USU. If Shelley gives us a better chance to win games than Colombi, then it was the right call.
Not sure what you are arguing here. I was responding to a comment that Gary guaranteed the job to Shelly and I disagree. I think getting JS was absolutely the right move and if JS is like most very good athletes, of course he believes he could win the job. I do believe that Gary would still make a legit competition is HC had stayed just like he will with other 4 who are now here. I dont think many folks thought Chuckie would win the job as a Freshman but he did because it was a real competition. Nothing in the interview that is being referenced says it was a guarantee. I am with YoungBlood on this one.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 4th, 2020, 5:15 pm

gomretat wrote:
gomretat wrote:
Not sure what you are arguing here. I was responding to a comment that Gary guaranteed the job to Shelly and I disagree. I think getting JS was absolutely the right move and if JS is like most very good athletes, of course he believes he could win the job. I do believe that Gary would still make a legit competition is HC had stayed just like he will with other 4 who are now here. I dont think many folks thought Chuckie would win the job as a Freshman but he did because it was a real competition. Nothing in the interview that is being referenced says it was a guarantee. I am with YoungBlood on this one.
Did you expect Gary to come out and say he promised the job to JS during the interview? I never said he did. IMO Gary made it obvious he wasn’t content with HC by recruiting two QB’s this off season. Gary also says over and over and over and over that if he recruits a transfer that he expects the kid to start. I don’t think it takes much of a leap to read between the lines.

I’m not even claiming Gary outright said the job was for sure JS’s job. Of course he didn’t. I think it was heavily implied, but we would just be arguing semantics but JS isn’t going to transfer here if he didn’t already know the job was all but his.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » August 4th, 2020, 5:17 pm

2004AG wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 5:15 pm
gomretat wrote:
gomretat wrote:
Did you expect Gary to come out and say he promised the job to JS during the interview? I never said he did. IMO Gary made it obvious he wasn’t content with HC by recruiting two QB’s this off season. Gary also says over and over and over and over that if he recruits a transfer that he expects the kid to start. I don’t think it takes much of a leap to read between the lines.

I’m not even claiming Gary outright said the job was for sure JS’s job. Of course he didn’t. I think it was heavily implied, but we would just be arguing semantics but JS isn’t going to transfer here if he didn’t already know the job was all but his.

I think you are making stuff up. :stirpot:

We don't know any of this. I doubt the GA promised anyone a starting job.

I wish HC luck at Texas Tech. Go Jason Shelley! Go Aggies!

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 4th, 2020, 5:34 pm

GeoAg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
gomretat wrote:
gomretat wrote:

I’m pretty sure the point of a message board is to discuss different opinions and angles of a topic. But you’re right, I haven’t sat in on any meetings but neither has anybody else so by that rationale, we’re all “making stuff up”, including you.

Will you answer one question and then I’ll drop it. If Gary says transfers are recruited to come in and start, why is it such a stretch on my part to apply Gary’s own words to JS? Why is that so unbelievable?

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » August 4th, 2020, 5:41 pm

He's saying that you bring in any transfer to start, including jc guys. Guys with 1 or 2 years of eligibility aren't brought in to ride the pine and develop. These are guys that are not developmental players. Have they been promised jobs? No. Are they brought in at positions of weakness, understanding there's a good chance to start? Yes.
These users thanked the author BustaMcNutt for the post:
breadysmith

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 4th, 2020, 5:52 pm

GeoAg wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 5:17 pm
2004AG wrote:
gomretat wrote:
gomretat wrote:

You said you doubt Gary promised anyone a starting job. Neither I or 2004 are saying he was promised the starting job, but it is fair to say he made it known to Shelley that he was the frontrunner for the job. At least Shelley and Colombi both got that impression. Shelley wasn't leaving a Pac 12 school where he had started and won games to come be a backup at USU and Colombi doesn't transfer out if he believes he is going to start next year.

I'm not saying it was the wrong call. Gary's job is to win football games and he was on staff when Shelley beat Oregon and helped Utah make a Pac12 championship game. I just don't buy it was ever a 50-50 thing. Once Shelley was brought in, he was going to be the starter unless he really screwed the pooch in camp.
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on August 4th, 2020, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 4th, 2020, 5:59 pm

BustaMcNutt wrote:He's saying that you bring in any transfer to start, including jc guys. Guys with 1 or 2 years of eligibility aren't brought in to ride the pine and develop. These are guys that are not developmental players. Have they been promised jobs? No. Are they brought in at positions of weakness, understanding there's a good chance to start? Yes.
That’s the interesting thing. QB wasn’t a position of weakness...at least on paper.

But I am led to believe Gary thought it was a position of weakness, which is why he brought in JS. So I agree with your post.

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » August 4th, 2020, 6:37 pm

We were coming into the season with a Jr with minimal experience and 4 freshman. We really had/have no idea what we have in the QB room. Shelley added more real game experience than all of them combined. I'd like to think it wasn't a position of weakness, but we have no clue.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » August 4th, 2020, 9:26 pm

2004AG wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 1:55 pm
So what do you guys make of Gary, EVERY single time he is asked about transfers, is that they are brought in to basically start or at the very least have a VERY significant role on the team? (he said the same thing in this interview too)

With QB, only one guy can play at time.....and Gary wants transfers to start, (his words), I don't see how it isn't viewed that Shelley came in with the intention of being the starter.

I don't necessarily mean to plow the same ground over again, and we can all agree to disagree at this point, but IMO, its pretty obvious Shelley was brought in to be the man. HC felt the same way.
This is true BUT he gusshed during that interview when talking about Peasly, so.....

coolag

Post by coolag » August 4th, 2020, 9:32 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 9:26 pm
2004AG wrote:

This is true BUT he gusshed during that interview when talking about Peasly, so.....
Tremendous.

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » August 4th, 2020, 9:37 pm

2004AG wrote:

I think that is more about spurring competition than just giving the guy the job. Which has been the case with previous transfers. If their not the best they aren't going to be starting. If the incumbent wants to play he better be working to make that happen. If he weeds himself out, maybe he wasn't mentally strong enough in the first place. I might be misinterpreting, but that's the way I see it. I like HC though, and wish he would have stayed. If he feels it's better to leave it is what it is.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

ususports

Post by ususports » August 4th, 2020, 10:19 pm

August 4th, 2020, 5:52 pm
Shelley wasn't leaving a Pac 12 school where he had started and won games to come be a backup at USU
The biggest flaw with this is that he wasn't even going to be a QB (his preferred position) at the Pac 12 school. He had been moved to defense to play safety, so I absolutely think it is possible that he would want to transfer from a Pac 12 school where he was forced into a position he didn't want to play to have a chance at playing his preferred position at USU. I realize that brings up the concern wondering if he is good enough to be our top QB, but that is a different discussion from the point you are trying to make.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 5th, 2020, 6:21 am

ususports wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 10:19 pm
August 4th, 2020, 5:52 pm
Shelley wasn't leaving a Pac 12 school where he had started and won games to come be a backup at USU
The biggest flaw with this is that he wasn't even going to be a QB (his preferred position) at the Pac 12 school. He had been moved to defense to play safety, so I absolutely think it is possible that he would want to transfer from a Pac 12 school where he was forced into a position he didn't want to play to have a chance at playing his preferred position at USU. I realize that brings up the concern wondering if he is good enough to be our top QB, but that is a different discussion from the point you are trying to make.
I don't think that is an argument flaw. He could have been a safety in the Pac12 for two years. I doubt he gives that up to be a backup quarterback for 2 years. No, he wanted to play QB and he knew Andersen was giving him that opportunity. I hate to diminish USU as a USU fan on a USU message board, but he could have transferred to P5 schools just to be a backup. Colombi certainly felt that he wasn't going to start, so he left. I believe Gary knew Colombi well enough that he knew when he brought in Shelley that would be the result of it. Again, I'm not saying that is wrong. Gary's job is to win. If Shelley helps us win more than Colombi, obviously it is the right call.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic