Cancelled Games

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie in Boise

Cancelled Games

Post by Aggie in Boise » July 28th, 2020, 10:06 am

This article is old news but I'm hoping that the MWC follows in the footsteps of the PAC 12 and BIG 10 by cancelling 2020 games with the Provo Tigers . That would leave them with 4 games.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/7/1 ... a-football

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Aggie84025

Re: Cancelled Games

Post by Aggie84025 » July 28th, 2020, 10:27 am

I don't, I hope that B12, SEC, and ACC play all their games. This will allow the Aggies to possibly schedule some more OOC games and recoup some lost money from WSU and UW. BYU will more than likely schedule games with B12, SEC, and ACC if they choose to keep their full schedules.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
IdaAg93

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » July 28th, 2020, 10:50 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 10:27 am
I don't, I hope that B12, SEC, and ACC play all their games. This will allow the Aggies to possibly schedule some more OOC games and recoup some lost money from WSU and UW. BYU will more than likely schedule games with B12, SEC, and ACC if they choose to keep their full schedules.
That's a big if.

I agree with what you're saying from the budgetary stand point.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 28th, 2020, 11:16 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
That's not going to happen

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 28th, 2020, 11:30 am

ViAggie wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 11:16 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
That's not going to happen
Agreed. I just don’t see how this season happens. The only sports approach that I see of having ANY chance of working right now is the bubble approach the NBA is doing. There’s just not a way to do that with football, especially college football.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
thegreendalegelf

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » July 28th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Our AD is taking this covid cancelled games thing as a huge opportunity. I know we have been in discussion with several schools. Some of whom are WAY out of our league, to get a home and home. And would never happen without covid. It may or may not happen but we are aggressively looking to add games. And not cupcake games.

Don't be surprised if we replace Washington and Washington State with road games at P5s in return for home games at future dates
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 3):
slcaggAggie in BoiseAZ4AggieNation

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 28th, 2020, 2:05 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 1:54 pm
Our AD is taking this covid cancelled games thing as a huge opportunity. I know we have been in discussion with several schools. Some of whom are WAY out of our league, to get a home and home. And would never happen without covid. It may or may not happen but we are aggressively looking to add games. And not cupcake games.

Don't be surprised if we replace Washington and Washington State with road games at P5s in return for home games at future dates
I promise to stop harrassing fellow board members if one of those games is in the great state of Texas.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
MWCFAN12AZ4AggieNation

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 28th, 2020, 2:06 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:

Thanks for this!
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » July 28th, 2020, 2:09 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 2:05 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:

I promise to stop harrassing fellow board members if one of those games is in the great state of Texas.
If it happens TCU or Baylor would be odds on favorite from what I understand.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 28th, 2020, 3:53 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:

So only 5 home games this season ?

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » July 28th, 2020, 4:05 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 3:53 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:

In a year in which fans might not be allowed, or allowed at reduced capacity, trading a home game or two this year for a future P5 game would be a great move IMO.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » July 28th, 2020, 4:25 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:

Actual home games? Or promises of home games that get bought out leaving us in a scramble to get Idaho State or Southern Utah?
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
2004AG

Eutaw St. Aggie

ususports

Post by ususports » July 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm

Yossarian wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 4:25 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Actual home games? Or promises of home games that get bought out leaving us in a scramble to get Idaho State or Southern Utah?
Either scenario benefits USU.

dogie

Post by dogie » July 28th, 2020, 7:00 pm

Yet USU never takes advantage of the 13th game every four years when they play Hawaii on the road. That could also open up some interesting scheduling opportunities.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post:
sstrasser

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 28th, 2020, 8:03 pm

Yossarian wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Get paid to win a game? Great!

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 28th, 2020, 8:12 pm

ususports wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Sure but not really anything to get excited about if they just buy the games out. And playing Idaho State and southern Utah doesn’t really benefit us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » July 28th, 2020, 8:13 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 8:12 pm
ususports wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Sure but not really anything to get excited about if they just buy the games out. And playing Idaho State and southern Utah doesn’t really benefit us.

The benefit is we get the revenue without having to play the game.

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 28th, 2020, 8:23 pm

TrueBlueFan wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 8:13 pm
2004AG wrote:
ususports wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

The benefit is we get the revenue without having to play the game.
Agreed. However I think what 2004 is trying to say is that while it does benefit the bottom line but how much does it really benefit the casual fan if they never play the return game.

ususports

Post by ususports » July 28th, 2020, 10:06 pm

2004AG wrote:
ususports wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

I completely agree that it would be disappointing for them to buy out our home game, and we scramble to get a crappy replacement for a home game against an FCS opponent. However, we have a better chance of having a home game with a P5 team if we have a contract compared to if we don't, so we might as well give ourselves the chance knowing there is at least the opportunity for a payout if they back out of the deal. I also understand that the argument would be to schedule our home game first, so they have to come, but in a year like this one, having the home game during covid problems would be a really stupid idea.
Last, is there something that has caused everyone to be paranoid that no P5 team will ever keep their commitment to play a home game in Logan? I know Utah bought out the 2014 game shortly after we beat them in 2012, and I am sure it happens occasionally elsewhere, but I don't really recall it being a consistent plan for P5 teams to continually sign contracts just to buy out the games. Just curious.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
2004AG

ususports

Post by ususports » July 28th, 2020, 10:10 pm

dogie wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 7:00 pm
Yet USU never takes advantage of the 13th game every four years when they play Hawaii on the road. That could also open up some interesting scheduling opportunities.
^^^This. We should do this to get either an occasional 7 home game season, or at a minimum, use it to get a good 2 for 1 deal with a P5 team who would typically never consider coming to USU (and U of U does not fall in this category).
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
sstrasser

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » July 29th, 2020, 7:48 am

I think the coaches like the week off for getting people healthy. I don't blame them. I think the buyout money would be valuable if we can then turn around and buy up a better home game or 1 for 1 in the future.

Bigd23
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bigd23 » July 29th, 2020, 3:14 pm

Not sure if others will follow suit but ACC is including Notre Dame in their conference and doing a conference schedule (10 games) plus one non-conference game that takes place in the home state of the ACC team to preserve some in-state rivalries in South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bigd23 on July 29th, 2020, 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » July 29th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Bigd23 wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 3:14 pm
Not sure if others will follow suit but ACC is including Notre Dame in their conference and doing a conference schedule (10 games) plus one in-state non-conference opponent to preserve some in-state rivalries in South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

It's not an in-state non-conference opponent just that the non-conference game must be played in the ACC home state. So we could conceivably go play North Carolina, but they can't come here but they could play at Charlotte.

Obvious concession so FSU, GT, Clemson, and Louisville can play away games at traditional rivals if necessary.

Bigd23
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bigd23 » July 29th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Makes sense. I'll update my post so it isn't confusing.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 29th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
Bigd23 wrote:
Not sure if others will follow suit but ACC is including Notre Dame in their conference and doing a conference schedule (10 games) plus one in-state non-conference opponent to preserve some in-state rivalries in South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

It's not an in-state non-conference opponent just that the non-conference game must be played in the ACC home state. So we could conceivably go play North Carolina, but they can't come here but they could play at Charlotte.

Obvious concession so FSU, GT, Clemson, and Louisville can play away games at traditional rivals if necessary.
Not sure why PAC-12 didn’t do the same thing. Would have allowed them to play the Utah-BYU, CSU-Colorado, SDSU-UCLA games.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
Intermeddler

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 29th, 2020, 4:03 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 3:26 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
Bigd23 wrote:

Not sure why PAC-12 didn’t do the same thing. Would have allowed them to play the Utah-BYU, CSU-Colorado, SDSU-UCLA games.
Because it is more risky to play teams 50 miles away versus playing teams 800 miles away. PAC 12 is not ran well.

coolag

Post by coolag » July 29th, 2020, 5:26 pm

When the SEC and Big 12 go conference only, the mwc needs to inform byu all games scheduled with mwc teams are being played at home and BYU has to pay each team 1 million to come to our stadiums. After all what's fair is fair. This will make up for the 3 for 1 deals of the past.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
aggies22

Regulator of Class

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » July 29th, 2020, 6:24 pm

dogie wrote:
Yea why is that? I've always wondered why they wouldn't add that extra game when they have the opportunity. Any insight?

ericsil7

Post by ericsil7 » July 29th, 2020, 7:20 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 6:24 pm
dogie wrote:
Yea why is that? I've always wondered why they wouldn't add that extra game when they have the opportunity. Any insight?
I asked Gary about this at a coaches show his first go round, he said he felt that adding a thirteenth or hopefully a fourteenth game (with a bowl game) was a little much for the kids and would take away a bye week (I think this was pre week 0 NCAA rule). If I remember correctly he said playing 14 games was pretty much a NFL season and these kids are student athletes

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 29th, 2020, 7:39 pm

ericsil7 wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 7:20 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 6:24 pm
dogie wrote:
I asked Gary about this at a coaches show his first go round, he said he felt that adding a thirteenth or hopefully a fourteenth game (with a bowl game) was a little much for the kids and would take away a bye week (I think this was pre week 0 NCAA rule). If I remember correctly he said playing 14 games was pretty much a NFL season and these kids are student athletes
You also have to win 7 games to be bowl eligible.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » July 29th, 2020, 7:45 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:

Hint please!
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » July 30th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 4:05 pm
2004AG wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 3:53 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:

In a year in which fans might not be allowed, or allowed at reduced capacity, trading a home game or two this year for a future P5 game would be a great move IMO.
Interesting post Intermeddler, very intriguing. Wait and see on this one, but a very stimulating entry. Thank you.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » July 30th, 2020, 2:21 pm

SEC is going conference only. Thinks it’s only inevitable till the Mountain West does the same. I’m hoping they don’t throw YBU a bone but I think it’s gonna happen.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » July 30th, 2020, 2:39 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 2:21 pm

SEC is going conference only. Thinks it’s only inevitable till the Mountain West does the same. I’m hoping they don’t throw YBU a bone but I think it’s gonna happen.
My opinion, I hope they play the games that are scheduled, but should they go conference only, screw byu-p. They didn't want to be in the conference then, they don't get it now. Why should the MWC, if going conference only, give two thoughts about byu-p? They chose their path, now they can deal with it.

Go Aggies!

Machismo

Post by Machismo » July 30th, 2020, 2:41 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Yep Get ready..
So if this happens then Hair should do the same as far as splitting the BYU's ESPN revenue.

NOTRE DAME IS AN ACC FOOTBALL SCHOOL IN 2020

The biggest news is that Notre Dame is essentially part of the conference this season, playing a 10-game conference slate and eligible to compete in the ACC title game this year. Notre Dame’s NBC television revenue will be included in a split of all TV revenue amongst the 15 conference universities.

https://www.outkick.com/notre-dame-is-a ... l-in-2020/
These users thanked the author Machismo for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

Locked Previous topicNext topic