Damuni to BYU

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Damuni to BYU

Post by slcagg » July 23rd, 2020, 5:00 pm

Disappointing since he is from the valley and his dad is on staff. I understood when his brother picked Stanford but not this.

https://247sports.com/college/byu/Artic ... 149465523/

2004AG

Re: Damuni to BYU

Post by 2004AG » July 23rd, 2020, 5:07 pm

I wish his dad would just leave and go work for byu too.

aggieman2828

Post by aggieman2828 » July 23rd, 2020, 5:10 pm

2004AG wrote:I wish his dad would just leave and go work for byu too.
I'm sure he would go if they offered. It's obvious where his loyalties lie.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author aggieman2828 for the post:
2004AG

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 23rd, 2020, 5:42 pm

S'all right, we're getting YBU's best anyway, this kid will probably come around after his Mission is over anyway.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » July 23rd, 2020, 5:47 pm

I’m not sure we’ve been way interested for whatever reason. Maybe 22 can chime in.. at any rate this kid is still growing is a superb athlete and was severely underutilized as a RB. He only plays offense but man I think he could be a great safety/LB.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 23rd, 2020, 5:50 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 5:47 pm
I’m not sure we’ve been way interested for whatever reason. Maybe 22 can chime in.. at any rate this kid is still growing is a superb athlete and was severely underutilized as a RB. He only plays offense but man I think he could be a great safety/LB.
Zero chance he ends up being a LB. Probably doubtful he gets big enough to be a safety. He will likely be a slot receiver and right now he was not high enough on our board to take a verbal commitment from him.

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » July 23rd, 2020, 6:53 pm

Waqa told me several years ago that they offered him the job at byu (it was when their football operations guy retired "honorably" after he got busted giving stuff to the players). He basically plugged his nose at the offer. No worries about where his loyalties, he is 100% USU. As for Jovesa, who knows what he is thinking. Maybe they have family ties to Sitake? Also Jovesa's uncle (Waqa's brother) is at byu.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 23rd, 2020, 7:34 pm

YouEssYou wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 6:53 pm
Waqa told me several years ago that they offered him the job at byu (it was when their football operations guy retired "honorably" after he got busted giving stuff to the players). He basically plugged his nose at the offer. No worries about where his loyalties, he is 100% USU. As for Jovesa, who knows what he is thinking. Maybe they have family ties to Sitake? Also Jovesa's uncle (Waqa's brother) is at byu.
Thank you for sharing. I don’t have any insight but From an outsiders view waqa has always seemed like a good rep for the program.

stang

Post by stang » July 23rd, 2020, 7:46 pm

aggieman2828 wrote:

Are you saying this because you closely know him on a personal level, or are you butthurt that his kid chose another school and you’re making broad, sweeping assumptions about someone you know nothing about?

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » July 23rd, 2020, 8:01 pm

Honestly I could see a kid not wanting to play on a team where your dad works. Nobody wants to be “Coaches son” or “he only plays cause his dad’s coach.

I’ll respect the kids decision no matter what the reasoning was. Except if he thinks they’ll be a better team than us. That’s just asinine.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
BLUERUFiO

aggieman2828

Post by aggieman2828 » July 23rd, 2020, 8:09 pm

stang wrote:
aggieman2828 wrote:

Are you saying this because you closely know him on a personal level, or are you butthurt that his kid chose another school and you’re making broad, sweeping assumptions about someone you know nothing about?
I'm making that assumption from his family. Very little love for the Aggies but all love for the cougars. You would think that if he is all Aggie his family would be Aggies too. I know my son is. He wouldn't ever entertain the thought of going down south. Waqa kids have dreamt about being Cougars since the day they were born. Its gotta come from somewhere.

2004AG

Damuni to BYU

Post by 2004AG » July 23rd, 2020, 8:10 pm

YouEssYou wrote:Waqa told me several years ago that they offered him the job at byu (it was when their football operations guy retired "honorably" after he got busted giving stuff to the players). He basically plugged his nose at the offer. No worries about where his loyalties, he is 100% USU. As for Jovesa, who knows what he is thinking. Maybe they have family ties to Sitake? Also Jovesa's uncle (Waqa's brother) is at byu.

He should have taken the job.

His actions speak louder than words. Someone 100% pro USU doesn’t let their kids go to byu. Mine would be out of the will. I’ve already warned them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
tjensen_25

stang

Post by stang » July 23rd, 2020, 10:04 pm

aggieman2828 wrote:
stang wrote:
aggieman2828 wrote:

I'm making that assumption from his family. Very little love for the Aggies but all love for the cougars. You would think that if he is all Aggie his family would be Aggies too. I know my son is. He wouldn't ever entertain the thought of going down south. Waqa kids have dreamt about being Cougars since the day they were born. Its gotta come from somewhere.

How dare one of his kids choose to play at Stanford and another, who was barely recruited by USU, choose to play at BYU where he has a bunch of family ties. Sometimes kids make their own decisions and sometimes they don’t want to play for their dad.

It’s silly to trash talk a guy who has been a great and loyal part of the USU football staff for nearly a decade and who was a player on the team before that just because his kids chose a school you don’t like.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 3):
oleblu111bluegrouseJSHarvey

aggieman2828

Post by aggieman2828 » July 23rd, 2020, 10:46 pm

stang wrote:
aggieman2828 wrote:
stang wrote:
aggieman2828 wrote:

How dare one of his kids choose to play at Stanford and another, who was barely recruited by USU, choose to play at BYU where he has a bunch of family ties. Sometimes kids make their own decisions and sometimes they don’t want to play for their dad.

It’s silly to trash talk a guy who has been a great and loyal part of the USU football staff for nearly a decade and who was a player on the team before that just because his kids chose a school you don’t like.
Sometimes kids make decisions based on how they were raised. They have dreamed of being cougars since they were little. The way you talk about Waqa, you would think that his kids couldn't wait to suit up for the Aggies. Right? I can understand choosing Stanford but not the Y. And it's not about not wanting to play for Dad. He"s not a coach. You are right in that there are a lot of family ties down there so maybe that explains his loyalty to that school. It's funny that those same family ties dont seem to be bringing their talents to Logan. I wonder why that is... I'm not trashing him. I'm sure he's a great guy. I'm just calling it how I see it.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » July 23rd, 2020, 10:58 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 8:10 pm
YouEssYou wrote:Waqa told me several years ago that they offered him the job at byu (it was when their football operations guy retired "honorably" after he got busted giving stuff to the players). He basically plugged his nose at the offer. No worries about where his loyalties, he is 100% USU. As for Jovesa, who knows what he is thinking. Maybe they have family ties to Sitake? Also Jovesa's uncle (Waqa's brother) is at byu.

His actions speak louder than words. Someone 100% pro USU doesn’t let their kids go to byu. Mine would be out of the will. I’ve already warned them all.

STHU. I know this kid well. He’s a damn good kid and made this decision completely on his own. As much as I can’t stand that school if my son was offered a scholarship (and it was his best one) I’d let him go. Waqa is Aggies 100%.
Last edited by Elkaggie on July 23rd, 2020, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post (total 8):
AggiesForeverratofallaggiesnewtonianblueBLUERUFiOoleblu111bluegrouseaggieguy13utaggies

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » July 23rd, 2020, 11:05 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 5:50 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
Zero chance he ends up being a LB. Probably doubtful he gets big enough to be a safety. He will likely be a slot receiver and right now he was not high enough on our board to take a verbal commitment from him.
Agree he’s not going to play LB. I am simply saying he’s a great Athlete and could play about anywhere on the field but has never really played defense for whatever reason. He’s got a great frame and could easily still be growing and put on a lot of weight. He’s fast just not sure if he’s got the pure speed and quickness at the next level to play RB. I could be wrong and I sure hope I am. I wish him nothing but success. As good as a football player he is he’s an even more incredible young man. One you would love one of your daughters to date.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 23rd, 2020, 11:14 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

SHU. I know this kid well. He’s a damn good kid and made this decision completely on his own. As much as I can’t stand that school if my son was offered a scholarship (and it was his best one) I’d let him go. Waqa is Aggies 100%.
You’d let your kid choose BYU over Utah State?

Geez, lots of closet cougars around here.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » July 23rd, 2020, 11:15 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 11:14 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

SHU. I know this kid well. He’s a damn good kid and made this decision completely on his own. As much as I can’t stand that school if my son was offered a scholarship (and it was his best one) I’d let him go. Waqa is Aggies 100%.

No I would let him make his own decision.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post (total 3):
thegreendalegelfBLUERUFiObluegrouse

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » July 23rd, 2020, 11:25 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 10:58 pm
2004AG wrote:

Damuni has done nothing but great things at USU. Great part of our staff! People on this board are way too sensitive about stuff like this. Let's be grateful for his amazing contributions. Maybe we should be upset if our staff did not offer him.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » July 24th, 2020, 7:48 am

2004AG wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 11:14 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I would support my kid in whatever choice they make. If my kid has a Y on their jersey, then for 4 years, I'm watching and attending BYU games. I'm not letting a rivalry get in between me and my family.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » July 24th, 2020, 8:07 am

Their grandfather or uncle is Jack Damuni, who was on the staff, and has had other very close ties to BYU. Polynesians are very loyal to whatever their "elders" tell them to do. This may have had something to do with his choice.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » July 24th, 2020, 8:36 am

Let me say this, those of you who are calling out Waqa for not making his son's come to USU are WAYYYYYY off base. I don't know many of you personally but I would say that many of you haven't done a fraction for USU that Waqa has and that includes outside of being paid by the university. He did receive offers to go to BYU for a pay raise and turned them down while referring his brother to the job who is now there. The comments on here calling him out are ridiculous and it is obvious you don't know the guy at all. Any of you that would force your kid to go to the university that you wanted him to is a pretty selfish individual. Go ahead, fire away at me if you'd like but Waqa is probably one of the most loyal individuals other than Steve that we've had on staff over the past 20 years.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 7):
aggies22oleblu111bluegrouseAndroidAggieaggieguy13AggiesForeverutaggies

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » July 24th, 2020, 8:38 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 8:36 am
Let me say this, those of you who are calling out Waqa for not making his son's come to USU are WAYYYYYY off base. I don't know many of you personally but I would say that many of you haven't done a fraction for USU that Waqa has and that includes outside of being paid by the university. He did receive offers to go to BYU for a pay raise and turned them down while referring his brother to the job who is now there. The comments on here calling him out are ridiculous and it is obvious you don't know the guy at all. Any of you that would force your kid to go to the university that you wanted him to is a pretty selfish individual. Go ahead, fire away at me if you'd like but Waqa is probably one of the most loyal individuals other than Steve that we've had on staff over the past 20 years.
This! Thank you!
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
ratofallaggies

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 24th, 2020, 8:52 am

ratofallaggies wrote:Let me say this, those of you who are calling out Waqa for not making his son's come to USU are WAYYYYYY off base. I don't know many of you personally but I would say that many of you haven't done a fraction for USU that Waqa has and that includes outside of being paid by the university. He did receive offers to go to BYU for a pay raise and turned them down while referring his brother to the job who is now there. The comments on here calling him out are ridiculous and it is obvious you don't know the guy at all. Any of you that would force your kid to go to the university that you wanted him to is a pretty selfish individual. Go ahead, fire away at me if you'd like but Waqa is probably one of the most loyal individuals other than Steve that we've had on staff over the past 20 years.
Don’t worry. There are only two of us who aren’t just absolutely thrilled he’s going to byu. Everybody else is really excited to watch him in cougar blue the next four years.

You’re right though, I don’t know him. I just know his kids choose to go somewhere else and then we wonder why our program never takes the next step. We can’t even get legacy valley kids to commit to us. They would rather go to byu.

I’m not advocating anybody “make” their kids attend Utah State but if you teach your kids properly they will make the correct decision themselves.

JackMormon, RIP, used to always complain about closet cougar fans that masqueraded as Aggie fans. At the time I thought he was full of crap, but he was right.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » July 24th, 2020, 8:57 am

Sports needs to get going again. This long hiatus makes the inner jackass come out. What some ridiculous comments. SMH

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » July 24th, 2020, 9:00 am

2004AG wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 8:52 am
ratofallaggies wrote:Let me say this, those of you who are calling out Waqa for not making his son's come to USU are WAYYYYYY off base. I don't know many of you personally but I would say that many of you haven't done a fraction for USU that Waqa has and that includes outside of being paid by the university. He did receive offers to go to BYU for a pay raise and turned them down while referring his brother to the job who is now there. The comments on here calling him out are ridiculous and it is obvious you don't know the guy at all. Any of you that would force your kid to go to the university that you wanted him to is a pretty selfish individual. Go ahead, fire away at me if you'd like but Waqa is probably one of the most loyal individuals other than Steve that we've had on staff over the past 20 years.
Don’t worry. There are only two of us who aren’t just absolutely thrilled he’s going to byu. Everybody else is really excited to watch him in cougar blue the next four years.

You’re right though, I don’t know him. I just know his kids choose to go somewhere else and then we wonder why our program never takes the next step. We can’t even get legacy valley kids to commit to us. They would rather go to byu.

I’m not advocating anybody “make” their kids attend Utah State but if you teach your kids properly they will make the correct decision themselves.

JackMormon, RIP, used to always complain about closet cougar fans that masqueraded as Aggie fans. At the time I thought he was full of crap, but he was right.

If someone posted the same thing you just did but they were saying it in reverse as pro BYU you'd be grossed out. Also, people that don't go ballistic because the kid chose to accept an offer from BYU aren't "closet BYU fans". He'll be just fine going to BYU and USU will be just fine without him. You're being dramatic

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » July 24th, 2020, 9:04 am

To me, I don't care who his family is or their ties to Utah State, the kid chose byu-p, it doesn't matter why. He made his choice, good luck to him. I don't think we need to even talk about him anymore. Let's focus on the kids that want to be here. I believe the byu-p team has a message board that you can talk about their players all you want, if you can figure out how to navigate that piece of garbage site.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkoleblu111

Go Aggies!

blueblood

Post by blueblood » July 24th, 2020, 9:21 am

My kids have been told they can go to college wherever they want. If they would like me to help pay for it, they can go to The Utah State University!!!!

That being said, if my kid has a choice between a full ride athletic scholarship at a school we don’t really like or paying half tuition to stay home and walk on, that’s a really tough call.

These users thanked the author blueblood for the post:
sstrasser

Donman

Post by Donman » July 24th, 2020, 9:28 am

AggiesForever wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 8:07 am
Their grandfather or uncle is Jack Damuni, who was on the staff, and has had other very close ties to BYU. Polynesians are very loyal to whatever their "elders" tell them to do. This may have had something to do with his choice.
Jack is most likely his uncle. We were in the same mission and I'm not that old :)

AGGIEinIOWA

Damuni to BYU

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 24th, 2020, 9:56 am

Maybe they are a house divided. Does Mrs Damuni have allegiances to YBU (graduate from there perhaps)? Could very well be that most of the extended family (uncles, aunts,cousins...) are from the dark side too. We all know how persuasive cool uncles can be at the age when dad is a nag.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » July 24th, 2020, 10:26 am

aggies22 wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
If I'm reading aggies22's post correctly, we may not have even offered the kid? Kind of hard for him to "choose BYU over Utah State" if we didn't even offer him...

The recruitment sites do show that we offered though, so I'm not sure what to believe...

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 24th, 2020, 11:06 am

treesap32 wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 10:26 am
aggies22 wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
If I'm reading aggies22's post correctly, we may not have even offered the kid? Kind of hard for him to "choose BYU over Utah State" if we didn't even offer him...

The recruitment sites do show that we offered though, so I'm not sure what to believe...
We did offer Jovesa. BUT every school has what is called a "Big Board" and they compile a list of who they want to recruit and rank them according to their importance to that particular coaching staff. Jovesa likely wasn't as a high priority for us at the time and he may have been a higher priority to the school in provo.

ootek

Post by ootek » July 24th, 2020, 11:42 am

2004AG wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I know Elk personally and he is very much NOT a closet cougar

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » July 24th, 2020, 2:10 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 11:06 am
treesap32 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

We did offer Jovesa. BUT every school has what is called a "Big Board" and they compile a list of who they want to recruit and rank them according to their importance to that particular coaching staff. Jovesa likely wasn't as a high priority for us at the time and he may have been a higher priority to the school in provo.
Gotcha. Do you think Jovesa understood this and the implications that it might have had if he would've taken Utah State's offer over BYU's? If a player is low on a "big board" tries to verbally commit could a team not seal the deal if they're waiting for someone higher on the list? Or would it mean potentially lack of playing time in the future?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 24th, 2020, 2:30 pm

treesap32 wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 2:10 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 11:06 am
treesap32 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Gotcha. Do you think Jovesa understood this and the implications that it might have had if he would've taken Utah State's offer over BYU's? If a player is low on a "big board" tries to verbally commit could a team not seal the deal if they're waiting for someone higher on the list? Or would it mean potentially lack of playing time in the future?
Although I would say it's "bad form" for a school take a verbal from a kid lower on their "big board" and then inform the kid they have to drop him from their class if a higher rated kid chooses to commit. Most schools try to earn a verbal commitment from kids that are as high as possible on their "big board", as the higher-rated kids commit to other schools, "big boards" have to be adjusted and new targets need to be identified.

Locked Previous topicNext topic