Jason Shelley’s Skill Set

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Sl7vk

Re: Jason Shelley’s Skill Set

Post by Sl7vk » July 23rd, 2020, 4:01 pm

Aglicious wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:33 pm
Texasaggie1 wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:17 pm
I am not sure where you pulled Shelley's stats but I can confirm that they are incorrect. He was a 4 year starter in high school.

From his junior year alone:
Shelley was an honorable mention all-state selection as a junior and led Frisco Lone Star to a state runner-up finish in Class 5A Division II. He was a first-team All-Area honoree after throwing for 3,716 yards and 39 touchdowns and running for 1,661 yards and 21 TDs.

There is no comparison between those two qb's, in high school.
It's just what was on file at MaxPreps but I do see the article that quotes your numbers above. I'm honestly not concerned about their HS stats.....I am more concerned about what Shelley can do at this level and I hope you are right and he can prove to be more than just serviceable as an Aggie. So far, in his limited time on the field in college he has not exactly overwhelmed anyone so I am skeptical that will change in Logan.
Well, things have changed when players have come from Salt Lake to Logan. A lot.
Not sure if it's the ineptitude of their OC's, Whit's style, the level of play in the MW or the opportunity to get playing time, but it's quantifiable.

Look at Siosi's lack of production at Utah and then coming to USU in 2019.

Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg
*2018 Utah Pac-12 JR WR 7 17 209 12.3
*2019 USU MWC SR WR 13 6 987 15.7

That's 987 yards versus 209 and 10 TD's versus 1.

We can talk about Caleb Repp if you'd like as well.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
oleblu111

UtesAggs>BYU
Has thanked: 0

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » July 23rd, 2020, 8:08 pm

Shelley has average arm strength. I loved what he did for Utah, but he was never going to be a viable QB option at Utah. It was very obvious the difference between him and Huntley. Y'all can argue the level of competition, but he's nowhere near the level to win consistently at a high level. He consistently underthrows deep routes and anything to the sideline from the opposite hash. I hope him well, but Huntley was 5x the QB JS is.

As for DHC, he could be good...if he wants. 4 years amd 2 stops and the same reports...doesn't like to put in the work. He won't carry an offense. He was 4th in carries at Utah behind 2 underclassmen, including a true freshmen. He would've been likely 5th option this year.

Warren is faaarrrrr ahead of him and Gentry will likely beat him out for 2nd team reps
These users thanked the author UtesAggs>BYU for the post (total 3):
aggies22flying_scotsman2.0Aglicious

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » July 23rd, 2020, 10:23 pm

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 8:08 pm
Shelley has average arm strength. I loved what he did for Utah, but he was never going to be a viable QB option at Utah. It was very obvious the difference between him and Huntley. Y'all can argue the level of competition, but he's nowhere near the level to win consistently at a high level. He consistently underthrows deep routes and anything to the sideline from the opposite hash. I hope him well, but Huntley was 5x the QB JS is.

As for DHC, he could be good...if he wants. 4 years amd 2 stops and the same reports...doesn't like to put in the work. He won't carry an offense. He was 4th in carries at Utah behind 2 underclassmen, including a true freshmen. He would've been likely 5th option this year.

Warren is faaarrrrr ahead of him and Gentry will likely beat him out for 2nd team reps
I hope you're wrong about Shelley, or else we're in deep crap. I much more prefer the narrative that the offense is grossly mishandled at the U and not even Tom Brady would be successful there. On a more serious note, thanks for the insight. Should be interesting to see what happens.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 24th, 2020, 8:52 am

OK, after watching that video I'm very happy. Somehow I got the impression that he was an option type QB. Not so, he can definitely pass, and being a pass first guy is probably why he's at USU not Utah. I can't wait to watch his Utah football games.

The OP said he looked antsy in the pocket. I wouldn't say that. I thought he looked great in the pocket. His feet are quick, he can make all the throws and is a pretty good runner. Did you see him take on tacklers a couple of times? He's gotta little meanness! If he learns to read the field he might be really special. I thought I saw him look around a couple of times in his highlights, but mostly it looked like he was throwing to a predetermined target. Lots to like. If he's an impact level player, and I think he could be, we could compete with Boise again.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 24th, 2020, 10:02 am

El Sapo wrote:OK, after watching that video I'm very happy. Somehow I got the impression that he was an option type QB. Not so, he can definitely pass, and being a pass first guy is probably why he's at USU not Utah. I can't wait to watch his Utah football games.

The OP said he looked antsy in the pocket. I wouldn't say that. I thought he looked great in the pocket. His feet are quick, he can make all the throws and is a pretty good runner. Did you see him take on tacklers a couple of times? He's gotta little meanness! If he learns to read the field he might be really special. I thought I saw him look around a couple of times in his highlights, but mostly it looked like he was throwing to a predetermined target. Lots to like. If he's an impact level player, and I think he could be, we could compete with Boise again.
Yeah I agree. Maybe my choice of words wasn’t the best. Not necessarily antsy but maybe just bouncey and keeping on his toes so he can react quickly if he needs to escape or change directions. He is pretty twitchy which makes him elusive in the backfield.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » July 24th, 2020, 10:37 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 10:02 am
El Sapo wrote:OK, after watching that video I'm very happy. Somehow I got the impression that he was an option type QB. Not so, he can definitely pass, and being a pass first guy is probably why he's at USU not Utah. I can't wait to watch his Utah football games.

Yeah I agree. Maybe my choice of words wasn’t the best. Not necessarily antsy but maybe just bouncey and keeping on his toes so he can react quickly if he needs to escape or change directions. He is pretty twitchy which makes him elusive in the backfield.
And who doesn't love "bouncey" things? :)

Go Aggies!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 24th, 2020, 8:28 pm

Is Jason Shelley the highest rated qb recruit we have ever had?
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Sl7vk

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » July 25th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 8:28 pm
I believe so. Higher rated than Colombi and Colombi was our previous high.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 25th, 2020, 11:17 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 6:26 pm
Jason Shelley is our highest-rated QB. He is also the 5th highest-rated recruit in Utah State history behind Brian Soi, John Gentry, Bojay Filimoeatu, and Christian LaValle.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 26th, 2020, 7:16 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 11:17 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 6:26 pm
Jason Shelley is our highest-rated QB. He is also the 5th highest-rated recruit in Utah State history behind Brian Soi, John Gentry, Bojay Filimoeatu, and Christian LaValle.
Can’t wait to watch gentry!
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
aggies22AZ4AggieNation

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 29th, 2020, 1:39 pm

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 8:08 pm

Hundley is 5x's better than Shelley? :lol:

Joe Montana had average arm strength. A viable option at QB for Utah? Who knows, but it's no knock on Shelley that Hundley returned to his starting position, because you don't typically lose your position due to injury.

The obvious difference between Shelley and Hundley was a healthy Zack Moss and better WR's and probably better OL play. I saw Shelley underthrow 2 balls against BYU. They were both catchable and one of them the announcers said was probably interference by the stench (in Provo surprised?).

He took a bad 2018 Utah team on his shoulders and beat the stench basically by himself. The first half he played against Northwestern in the Holiday Bowl was almost perfect. Utah went to sleep after that dominant first half....

He's the answer for us at QB. If we can put 1 or 2 more impact players around him on offense, and a couple more on defense? We'll compete for the MW championship and Utah is gonna regret letting him get away.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 2):
oleblu111USU78

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 31st, 2020, 10:46 am

I've been watching as much YouTube as I can find on Shelley and found this. The scout comments on Shelley first.

Check it out.

These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
aggies22

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » August 4th, 2020, 12:22 pm

I just watched Shelley in this game. IMO, he played really well. He wasn't asked to do a whole lot, but, I liked what I saw. I was expecting to see Kent Meyers v2, but, I like Shelley much better. I thought most of his throws were catchable and I liked how he didn't just lock onto 1 receiver. The ball he throws looks pretty nice as well. He did under throw a few a bit, but, not horribly. His athleticism is apparent (4th quarter TD run at the end).
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
El Sapo

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » August 4th, 2020, 12:45 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:22 pm
I just watched Shelley in this game. IMO, he played really well. He wasn't asked to do a whole lot, but, I liked what I saw. I was expecting to see Kent Meyers v2, but, I like Shelley much better. I thought most of his throws were catchable and I liked how he didn't just lock onto 1 receiver. The ball he throws looks pretty nice as well. He did under throw a few a bit, but, not horribly. His athleticism is apparent (4th quarter TD run at the end).
I think the turning point in the game is when Shelley hurdles a stench tackler (3rd qtr?). He gets all fired up and you can see Utah wake up as a team after that single play. The whole game changes.

Leader/winner.

You gotta watch the WHOLE first half of the 2018 Utah v Northwestern bowl game. Shelley is nearly perfect. The play calling for Utah changes just before the half. Utah shuts down their offense :crazy: only they don't have Zack Moss to close out the game. Horrible coaching on the part of the Utes, and some freaky turnovers in the 2nd half cost them the game.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 4th, 2020, 12:53 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
I don't trust any video of UofU's offense to be a fair evaluation of any of their throw-game players. Whitt plays defense with his offense. With the exception of their OL and RB, I think most their offensive players are better than they look.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
El Sapo

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » August 4th, 2020, 1:06 pm

brownjeans wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:53 pm
BLUERUFiO wrote:
I don't trust any video of UofU's offense to be a fair evaluation of any of their throw-game players. Whitt plays defense with his offense. With the exception of their OL and RB, I think most their offensive players are better than they look.
It's a sad offense with the exception of Shelley. The games he played he's basically the Utes only offensive threat. In the bowl game he has his high school WR who makes some plays, but you watch the stench game there is no one there. It's all Shelley

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » August 4th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Nice, thanks for suggesting my next game to watch Sapo. I’m loading up the bowl game now.

Also, that hurdle was fantastic. I wish I had those kinds of hops. If I tried that, I’d hit the dudes stomach and bowl each of us over.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
El Sapo

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » August 4th, 2020, 1:50 pm

The hurdle at 0:55 seconds

Locked Previous topicNext topic