Colombi Transferring

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by aggies22 » July 15th, 2020, 11:59 pm

SLB wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 9:40 pm
My bet is that he goes to Kentucky. He has practiced with the WRs, and WRs coach Bouknight is at Kentucky.
Bouknight recruited Henry to Utah State.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2020, 12:01 am

bluegrouse wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:36 pm
Columbi’s dad tweeted that HC is on an official visit to BYU right now. Couldn’t tell from the context if he was kidding or not. Could have been a cruel joke. That would be worst case scenario for me.
Not a cruel joke. Just a very sarcastic one. There is no chance he is at byu.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
bluegrouse

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2020, 12:16 am

oleblu111 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 9:28 pm
2004AG wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 9:15 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 6:14 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 6:07 pm
I must say that I'm stunned at the level of knowledge on this board, people know all the inside info, between players and staff, we know that he will light it up at some P-5 school, despite the fact that he ended up at USU in the first place.

I guess to catch up with you folks I should ask my source that actually is in the locker room what is going on
This entire day has shown you know nothing. Sorry you got caught with your pants down. Now can we get back to your regularly scheduled posts about how poor and cheap all our alumni are? I also like the ones where you threaten to stop supporting the program, as if any of us care at all.
I did not get caught with my pants down. I was just making fun of those folks that post here, and all the knowledge, that they think they have. All the alums of USU are not cheap, most just do not give a damn. For you I shall quote what Rhett said to Scarlet quite frankly my dear I do not give a damn.
There are some people who absolutely have inside connections on here. You’d be wise to pay attention when they speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When people post so called inside information, and that information may be bad for the program, it certainly is not what the person that gave such information wants passed out.These are the ones I do not pay attention to. Also people that pass harmful information to boosters are not that bright, and maybe not trust worthy.
I know every detail of how this went down. I even had a good idea of where Henry might be transferring by 5pm this afternoon. There have been several speculative posts made by several board members that are pretty close to what happened. I think most of you see this for what it is. I think Henry is a good player and a great kid and I'm going to miss the hell out of him. Sometimes things are better off left unsaid. Especially on a message board. I've NEVER been about damaging the program. There are hurt feelings on one side and confusion in the locker room. As fans of the Aggies remember, Jason Shelley plays no part in this. All he did was accept a scholarship offer. Please support him as much as we support our other players.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 13):
slcaggTrueBlueFanAggiesForeverChodaggieguy13918AGGGreenAgAggiePTJSHarveytjensen_25 and 3 more users

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » July 16th, 2020, 12:18 am

slcagg wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 10:10 pm
This won’t be devastating to the program. While disappointing it certainly won’t wreck the program. Now the effects of not potentially not playing due to covid, that could be devastating.
Decisions on the field or on personnel won't wreck a program overnight. Decisions off the field will.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 2):
AggiesForeveraggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2020, 12:20 am

cdaAg wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 10:00 pm
For me, the last Ute qb I'd have wanted over our guy (including Colombi) would have to be Brian Johnson. I'm disappointed with this development.
The strange thing there is Utah ended up with Brian Johnson because Leon Jackson chose us over Utah.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
cdaAg

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » July 16th, 2020, 12:21 am

Lots of players expressing disappointment about this on Twitter. I imagine a lot of it will pass if and when practice starts and the season (prayers one happens) gets going but it’s clear there is some work to do here.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
aggies22cdaAg

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » July 16th, 2020, 12:24 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 12:01 am
bluegrouse wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:36 pm
Columbi’s dad tweeted that HC is on an official visit to BYU right now. Couldn’t tell from the context if he was kidding or not. Could have been a cruel joke. That would be worst case scenario for me.
Not a cruel joke. Just a very sarcastic one. There is no chance he is at byu.
Good to know!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2020, 12:29 am

Ahbye wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 12:18 am
slcagg wrote:
This won’t be devastating to the program. While disappointing it certainly won’t wreck the program. Now the effects of not potentially not playing due to covid, that could be devastating.
Decisions on the field or on personnel won't wreck a program overnight. Decisions off the field will.
Oh boy. There isn't trouble on the horizon is there? Or are you just speaking generally?

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » July 16th, 2020, 12:34 am

Ahbye wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 12:18 am
slcagg wrote:
Well, that doesn’t sound good.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 16th, 2020, 1:04 am

Im getting flashbacks of DG being mismanaged in part by bringing in Hobbs and then us not having anyone who was even remotely an FBS quality starter at QB until Love came along.

If there is one thing we’ve been consistently bad at its managing backups and the heirs to the team. Kennedy, DG and now Colombi. This case is even worse than DG or Kennedy because there was no Keeton. It’s completely unforced. We already had QBs and a starter.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » July 16th, 2020, 1:18 am

My question throughout this debacle is was it Gary telling HC that he wasn’t the best fit and he wasn’t going to let him compete for the starting job, or was it HC not wanting to try and beat out Jason Shelly out of some sort of entitlement?

If it’s the former, it’s on Gary, if it’s the latter, it’s on Henry.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 16th, 2020, 2:19 am

There are many things to envy about the Utah football program over the past several years.

Their QBs and their handling of QBs have NOT been worthy of envy.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 5:06 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 12:16 am
oleblu111 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 9:28 pm
2004AG wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 9:15 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 6:14 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 6:07 pm
I must say that I'm stunned at the level of knowledge on this board, people know all the inside info, between players and staff, we know that he will light it up at some P-5 school, despite the fact that he ended up at USU in the first place.

I guess to catch up with you folks I should ask my source that actually is in the locker room what is going on
This entire day has shown you know nothing. Sorry you got caught with your pants down. Now can we get back to your regularly scheduled posts about how poor and cheap all our alumni are? I also like the ones where you threaten to stop supporting the program, as if any of us care at all.
I did not get caught with my pants down. I was just making fun of those folks that post here, and all the knowledge, that they think they have. All the alums of USU are not cheap, most just do not give a damn. For you I shall quote what Rhett said to Scarlet quite frankly my dear I do not give a damn.
There are some people who absolutely have inside connections on here. You’d be wise to pay attention when they speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When people post so called inside information, and that information may be bad for the program, it certainly is not what the person that gave such information wants passed out.These are the ones I do not pay attention to. Also people that pass harmful information to boosters are not that bright, and maybe not trust worthy.
I know every detail of how this went down. I even had a good idea of where Henry might be transferring by 5pm this afternoon. There have been several speculative posts made by several board members that are pretty close to what happened. I think most of you see this for what it is. I think Henry is a good player and a great kid and I'm going to miss the hell out of him. Sometimes things are better off left unsaid. Especially on a message board. I've NEVER been about damaging the program. There are hurt feelings on one side and confusion in the locker room. As fans of the Aggies remember, Jason Shelley plays no part in this. All he did was accept a scholarship offer. Please support him as much as we support our other players.
Very well said 22. Thanks for the post.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

coolag

Post by coolag » July 16th, 2020, 6:30 am

Away we go.

Regulator of Class

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » July 16th, 2020, 6:38 am

This will come back to bite us in the azz. Gary 2.0 is very underwhelming.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » July 16th, 2020, 7:06 am

Hurt feelings and loss of a good QB aside, Shelley and Peasely are both exciting QBs to have in the locker room and are very similar players which will allow for an offense to be structured that will fit both players. From a strictly x and o standpoint and talent standpoint, not much is lost and some would argue we are better now.

I do understand there is more to it then just those two factors, but we are going to be quite good at the QB position.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » July 16th, 2020, 7:14 am

Chatman wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 7:06 am
Hurt feelings and loss of a good QB aside, Shelley and Peasely are both exciting QBs to have in the locker room and are very similar players which will allow for an offense to be structured that will fit both players. From a strictly x and o standpoint and talent standpoint, not much is lost and some would argue we are better now.

I do understand there is more to it then just those two factors, but we are going to be quite good at the QB position.
I agree, there is definitely talent there. I just wish it would have been handled differently. Listen, kids leave programs all the time, it's part of the game, but to have it happen the way it did is honestly disappointing.

I wish Columbi the best and hope he finds a program that he can start in and i think he'll be great. I wish Shelley the best obviously and hope he can win over the other guys and lead this team. They're both talented dudes and have bright futures.

Go Aggies!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 7:27 am

So based on response most seem to agree that gary shouldn’t have brought in shelley? Guessing timing couldn’t have been changed much?

I guess I don’t fault Gary for bringing in a talented guy. I also don’t fault colombi for being upset and choosing to transfer. However I’m not sure how gary should have handled it differently unless you just don’t think he should have brought in Shelley

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 16th, 2020, 7:33 am

slcagg wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 7:27 am
So based on response most seem to agree that gary shouldn’t have brought in shelley? Guessing timing couldn’t have been changed much?

I guess I don’t fault Gary for bringing in a talented guy. I also don’t fault colombi for being upset and choosing to transfer. However I’m not sure how gary should have handled it differently unless you just don’t think he should have brought in Shelley
I’m sure Shelley is a great kid, and I will root for him if there is a season. I love that he’s a legacy kid and happy he wants to be at USU. It’s unfortunate for him that he’ll be stepping into such a volatile situation.

All that said, Gary shouldn’t have brought in Shelley under the circumstances that he did. Had he done it much earlier in the offseason, and/or with the Colombi’s knowledge, I’d be on Gary’s side here.

I hope I’m wrong and that Shelley blows us all away, but I don’t think we got better here. At best, I think this was a lateral move with the potential to destroy a locker room.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on July 16th, 2020, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » July 16th, 2020, 7:36 am

Aggie19 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 7:14 am
Chatman wrote:

I agree, there is definitely talent there. I just wish it would have been handled differently. Listen, kids leave programs all the time, it's part of the game, but to have it happen the way it did is honestly disappointing.

I wish Columbi the best and hope he finds a program that he can start in and i think he'll be great. I wish Shelley the best obviously and hope he can win over the other guys and lead this team. They're both talented dudes and have bright futures.
How else was it going to happen? At some point the coaches most likely got together and determined that the style of offense they wanted was a better fit for players like Shelley and Peasely, and left it in Columbis court, after seeing the writing on the wall, to decide to transfer or not. It is a crappy situation for him but at least he can go somewhere that will be more suited for his skills. It was a tough program shift decision and will pay off down the road.
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
oleblu111

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » July 16th, 2020, 7:42 am

Chatman wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 7:36 am
Aggie19 wrote:
Chatman wrote:

How else was it going to happen? At some point the coaches most likely got together and determined that the style of offense they wanted was a better fit for players like Shelley and Peasely, and left it in Columbis court, after seeing the writing on the wall, to decide to transfer or not. It is a crappy situation for him but at least he can go somewhere that will be more suited for his skills. It was a tough program shift decision and will pay off down the road.
For me, others can speak for themselves, if GA and staff felt they wanted to move in a different direction, you start that after the season, not 60 days before the start of the season. They had a year with Columbi, they knew what he brought to the table and if he would fit or not. We don't know exactly how it all went down, but we do know it wasn't smooth and that players are thrown off by this. It could have been handled better.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
JSHarvey

Go Aggies!

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » July 16th, 2020, 7:43 am

I have refrained from posting until my emotions calmed down. I have been one of the biggest proponents of Henri that there is. since the day we started to recruit him I watched hundreds of highlights of him and came away in awe. I have always believed that he would lead this team, and this program to great things. I'd be lying if I said this didn't really hurt. After taking a step back the last 24 hrs I have come to realize a couple of things. I think that the absolute majority of us overlooked what was happening, the proverbial writing on the wall months ago. 22 has eluded to this thousands of times since Bodi was hired. Our offense will look like 2012. While I love every single thing that Colombi brings to the table, he is not chuckie Keeton. Shelley is! Colombi is a deep ball mobile threat a Jordan Love type player. He is not built for that type of offense. I know some will disagree, but if we are being honest with ourselves it is what it is. I in no way support how it was handle, but I kind of understand it. Just my two cents.
These users thanked the author jeffdan25 for the post (total 7):
slcaggChodGreenAgAggiePTJSHarveyvegasaggieoleblu111

Chatman

Post by Chatman » July 16th, 2020, 7:47 am

Aggie19 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 7:42 am
Chatman wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Chatman wrote:

For me, others can speak for themselves, if GA and staff felt they wanted to move in a different direction, you start that after the season, not 60 days before the start of the season. They had a year with Columbi, they knew what he brought to the table and if he would fit or not. We don't know exactly how it all went down, but we do know it wasn't smooth and that players are thrown off by this. It could have been handled better.
I’m sure the decision was made after the season. Peasely May have ended up being the starter over Columbi based on that decision. Shelley didn’t decide to come here until just recently.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 16th, 2020, 7:52 am

Chatman wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Chatman wrote:

The question really is when it should have happened, and the answer to that question is much sooner than mid-July before the season.

It seems it happened now because Shelley was recently approved for an eligibility waiver to play this season, which further confirms the Colombis’ position that this was never going to be a fair fight. This was a coach pulling the rug out from under a player at the last second that had done nothing but been an excellent teammate. The rug was pulled to favor a player he used to coach at Utah over one of our players.

Is Gary the coach at Utah or USU? Is Gary supposed to be taking care of his former players at Utah, or his current players at USU?

What in the hell kind of message does this send to recruits and their families? I echo the sentiment of other posters. If this is how he is going to treat players, what the hell is even the point of GA? His ability to be even an average coach as a “players’ coach” is wholly-dependent on him having the love and trust of his players.

I apologize if most of this falls in the “better left unsaid” category to most of you, but man this is frustrating.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on July 16th, 2020, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
jeffdan25taniatayloraggieguy13

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 7:56 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 7:52 am
Chatman wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Chatman wrote:

The question really is when it should have happened, and the answer to that question is much sooner than mid-July before the season.

It seems it happened now because Shelley was recently approved for an eligibility waiver to play this season, which further confirms the Colombis’ position that this was never going to be a fair fight. This was a coach pulling the rug out from under a player at the last second that had done nothing but been an excellent teammate. The rug was pulled to favor a player he used to coach at Utah over one of our players.

Is Gary the coach at Utah or USU? Is Gary supposed to be taking care of his former players at Utah, or his current players USU?

What in the hell kind of message does this send to recruits and their families? I echo the sentiment of other posters. If this is how he is going to treat players, what the hell is even the point of GA? His ability to be even an average coach as a “players’ coach” is wholly-dependent on him having the love and trust of his players.

I apologize if most of this falls in the “better left unsaid” category to most of you, but man this is frustrating.
Gary is the coach at usu and he must have thought bringing in Shelley would make the team better.
Last edited by slcagg on July 16th, 2020, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » July 16th, 2020, 7:57 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
Chatman wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Chatman wrote:

Is Gary the coach at Utah or USU? Is Gary supposed to be taking care of his former players at Utah, or his current players USU?

Decision was made after the season. Shelley didn’t decide to come here until recently. Peasely may have ended up being the starter over Columbi. Shelley and Peasely fit the style of play the coaches want. Columbi ended up in a crappy situation. Team will be better. Feelings are hurt. So be it.
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
oleblu111

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 8:02 am

Chatman wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 7:57 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
Chatman wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Chatman wrote:

Decision was made after the season. Shelley didn’t decide to come here until recently. Peasely may have ended up being the starter over Columbi. Shelley and Peasely fit the style of play the coaches want. Columbi ended up in a crappy situation. Team will be better. Feelings are hurt. So be it.
This is exactly it once you take the emotion of out of it IMO.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 16th, 2020, 8:04 am

Chatman wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Chatman wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Chatman wrote:

This situation is probably a bit of a rorschach test about how you feel about the current staff. Of course the staff thinks the team will be better. I just have zero confidence in Gary’s decisionmaking.

I think the future will show we lost the better of the two quarterbacks. I hope I am wrong!

Also, note the post indicating Coach Reeder had nothing to do with this. Doesn’t sound like this was something that was mutually decided long ago right after the season.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2020, 8:26 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
Chatman wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Chatman wrote:

Is Gary the coach at Utah or USU? Is Gary supposed to be taking care of his former players at Utah, or his current players at USU?

No need for apologies my Aggie brother. There is a lot of frustration and disappointment going around.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2020, 8:30 am

Chatman wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Chatman wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Chatman wrote:

Henry was told he was going to be the starter after spring ball and everyone that could go home had done so. That's the decision that was made.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » July 16th, 2020, 8:33 am

I freaking love Henry Colombi and this hurts me a lot. Read the thread title last night at 8, and just tossed my phone down, didn't go any further.
Super bummed about this, how it went down and everything else.
I think objectively though, Shelley is better than Henry right now, and certainly for our type of offense. He was very effective as a freshman in the PAC-12, and he's going to cause a lot of problems for MW defenses with his mobility this year.
His ability to run coupled with a much improved offensive line is going to be tons of fun to watch (if there is something to watch this year).
I was a 100% Henry Colombi guy, and now I'm a 100% Jason Shelley guy.
Lets f'ing go!
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 3):
Aggie19AggiePTvegasaggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 16th, 2020, 9:05 am

Sl7vk wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 8:33 am
I freaking love Henry Colombi and this hurts me a lot. Read the thread title last night at 8, and just tossed my phone down, didn't go any further.
I think objectively though, Shelley is better than Henry right now, and certainly for our type of offense. He was very effective as a freshman in the PAC-12, and he's going to cause a lot of problems for MW defenses with his mobility this year.
His ability to run coupled with a much improved offensive line is going to be tons of fun to watch (if there is something to watch this year).
Lets f'ing go!
I’m a 100% a Jason Shelley guy now too and hope he kills it. But I still can be mad about how dunderheaded this was all handled.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
JSHarvey

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » July 16th, 2020, 9:40 am

Sl7vk wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 8:33 am
Lets f'ing go!
If he was very effective in the P12, why was he demoted and then pushed out of his position?

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » July 16th, 2020, 9:46 am

For maybe the first time in history, my Ute cousin is jealous of Utah State football.

I'm sad that Colombi is out, but I'm glad that we picked up Shelley. If Shelley performs on the field, all of this will be forgiven by Aggie nation in the snap of a football.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

ususports

Post by ususports » July 16th, 2020, 9:51 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 12:20 am
cdaAg wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 10:00 pm
For me, the last Ute qb I'd have wanted over our guy (including Colombi) would have to be Brian Johnson. I'm disappointed with this development.
The strange thing there is Utah ended up with Brian Johnson because Leon Jackson chose us over Utah.
Once you add punting to the mix, we got what we thought to be a triple threat QB out of that deal. Turns out he was just a punter, but still.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 3):
aggies22NVAggieOrangeCountyAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic